Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

Salt Lake City (SSN-716) submarine

USS Salt Lake City (SSN-716), a Los Angeles-class submarine, was the second ship of the United States Navy to be named for Salt Lake City, Utah. The contract to build her was awarded to Newport News Shipbuilding and Dry Dock Company in Newport News, Virginia on 15 September 1977 and her keel was laid down on 26 August 1980. She was launched on 16 October 1982 sponsored by Mrs. Kathleen Garn, and commissioned on 12 May 1984, with Commander Richard Itkin in command.

Actor Scott Glenn trained aboard, and was installed as (honorary) commander for a brief time, aboard Salt Lake City in preparation for his part as Bart Mancuso, Captain of the USS Dallas in the film The Hunt for Red October.

Salt Lake City was featured in The History Channel's Mail Call when R. Lee Ermey answered viewer questions about life inside a submarine.

On 22 October 2004, Salt Lake City returned from a deployment with the Stennis carrier strike group in the western Pacific Ocean, after surging, over a month ahead of schedule, in support of Summer Pulse '04. Port calls during the deployment included Guam, Sasebo, Yokosuka, Singapore, and Oahu, Hawaii.

Salt Lake City conducted an inactivation ceremony in San Diego on 26 October 2005, then departed for a transit under the polar ice. On 15 January 2006 she was decommissioned at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. Over a year later, the hulk was taken under tow, arriving on 8 May 2007 at Puget Sound Naval Shipyard, where she will be recycled and scrapped.


U-858 (Type lXC/40)

German submarine U-858 was a Type IXC/40 U-boat of Nazi Germany's Kriegsmarine during World War II. She was ordered on 5 June 1941, laid down on 11 December 1942 and launched on 30 September 1943. She had one commander for her three patrols, Kapitänleutnant Thilo Bode.
German Type IXC/40 submarines were slightly larger than the original Type IXCs. U-858 had a displacement of 1,144 tonnes (1,126 long tons) when at the surface and 1,257 tonnes (1,237 long tons) while submerged. The U-boat had a total length of 76.76 m (251 ft 10 in), a pressure hull length of 58.75 m (192 ft 9 in), a beam of 6.86 m (22 ft 6 in), a height of 9.60 m (31 ft 6 in), and a draught of 4.67 m (15 ft 4 in). The submarine was powered by two MAN M 9 V 40/46 supercharged four-stroke, nine-cylinder diesel engines producing a total of 4,400 metric horsepower (3,240 kW; 4,340 shp) for use while surfaced, two Siemens-Schuckert 2 GU 345/34 double-acting electric motors producing a total of 1,000 shaft horsepower (1,010 PS; 750 kW) for use while submerged. She had two shafts and two 1.92 m (6 ft) propellers. The boat was capable of operating at depths of up to 230 metres (750 ft).
The submarine had a maximum surface speed of 18.3 knots (33.9 km/h; 21.1 mph) and a maximum submerged speed of 7.3 knots (13.5 km/h; 8.4 mph). When submerged, the boat could operate for 63 nautical miles (117 km; 72 mi) at 4 knots (7.4 km/h; 4.6 mph); when surfaced, she could travel 13,850 nautical miles (25,650 km; 15,940 mi) at 10 knots (19 km/h; 12 mph). U-858 was fitted with six 53.3 cm (21 in) torpedo tubes (four fitted at the bow and two at the stern), 22 torpedoes, one 10.5 cm (4.13 in) SK C/32 naval gun, 180 rounds, and a 3.7 cm (1.5 in) Flak M42 as well as two twin 2 cm (0.79 in) C/30 anti-aircraft guns. The boat had a complement of forty-eight.
Service history
She was sent by Germany at the end of the war to cause havoc along the East Coast of the US, in an attempt to repeat the success of Operation Drumbeat. However, she saw no combat in that mission, and did not sink or damage any allied ships during the war. Her Captain surrendered her on 14 May 1945 at Fort Miles, Lewes, Delaware. After surrendering, she was used for publicity in War bond drives.
After being used for torpedo practice near the New England area, she was scuttled by the US Navy at the end of 1947. She was the first German warship to surrender to US forces.


First U-boat sunk by the Royal Navy in WW1.
After engine failure, U-15 was stranded on the surface off fair Isle near the Orkney islands.
HMS Birmingham spotted the boat, opened fire and as the U-15 tried to crash dive, the cruiser rammed the submarine, causing it to sink.

See under:

U-4 (Austro-Hungarian)

SM U-4 was a double hulled submarine commissioned in the Austro-Hungarian Navy in 1909.
In 1915, it sank the Italian armoured cruiser Guiseppe Gariba.
It survived the war as Austro-Hungary's longest surviving submarine.

Information on ms of Bequia stamp.

SEAL USS (SS-183) submarine

The miniature sheet of Palau of $4 shows us the submarine USS SEAL.

She was built as a submarine by Electric Boat Company, Groton, Conn. for the USS Navy.
25 May 1936 laid down.
25 August 1937 launched as the USS SEAL one of the Salmon class.
Displacement 1,458 ton standard surfaced, 2,233 ton submerged. Dim. 93.88 x 7.95 x 4.78m (draught).
Powered by four Hooven-Owens-Rentschler (H.O.R.) 9 cyl. diesel engines, who delivered power to two electrical generators to four high speed electric motors, twin shafts, 5,500 shp. surface, 2,660 shp submerged, speed on surface 21 knots, submerged 9 knots.
Range surfaced 11,000 mile by 10 knots, submerged 2 knots for 48 hours.
Armament: 8 – 21 inch torpedo tubes (four forward, four aft), carried 24 torpedoes. 1 – 3 inch 50 cal. Deck gun and four machine guns.
Test depth 76 metre.
Crew 59.
30 April 1938 commissioned.

USS SEAL (SS-183), a Salmon-class submarine, was the second ship of the United States Navy to be named for the “seal”, a sea mammal valued for its skin and oil. Her keel was laid down on 25 May 1936 by the Electric Boat Company in Groton, Connecticut. She was launched on 25 April 1937 at the Naval Submarine Base, New London, sponsored by Mrs. Rosemary G. Greenslade, wife of Lieutenant (later Rear Admiral) John F. Greenslade and daughter-in-law of Rear Admiral John W. Greenslade. The boat was commissioned on 30 April 1937, Lieutenant Karl G. Hensel in command.
Service history
Inter-War Period
Following an extended shakedown cruise in the Caribbean Sea and a post-shakedown yard period, SEAL departed New England in late November and proceeded to the Panama Canal Zone to commence operations out of her home port, Coco Solo. Arriving on 3 December, she conducted local operations off Balboa, Panama, and off Coco Solo into January 1939, then proceeded to Haiti where she participated in type exercises prior to Fleet Problem XX. That exercise, to test the fleet's ability to control the approaches to Central America and South America, was conducted during late February in the Lesser Antilles.
In March, SEAL returned to the Haiti–Cuba area for exercises with Destroyer Division 4 (DesDiv 4). In April, she proceeded to New London, Connecticut, for overhaul which included modification of her main engines. In June, the submarine again sailed south, transited the Panama Canal, and continued on to San Diego, California, and Pearl Harbor. In Hawaii from July to September, she took soundings for the Hydrographic Office and participated in various local exercises. At the end of the latter month, she returned to San Diego, her home port into 1941.
During the next two years, she conducted exercises and provided services to surface ships and to United States Navy and United States Army air units along the West Coast and in the Hawaiian area. In the fall of 1941, Submarine Division 21 (SubDiv 21) - of which she was now a part - was transferred to the Asiatic Fleet. Departing Pearl Harbor on 24 October, she reached Manila on 10 November, and 34 days later, cleared that bay to commence her first war patrol. She headed north to intercept Japanese forces moving into northern Luzon to reinforce those already landed at Vigan and Aparri, Cagayan.
World War II
Initially off Cape Bojeador, she shifted south to the Vigan area on 20 December, and on 23 December, torpedoed and sank HAVATAKA MARU, the last Japanese ship sunk by American torpedoes in December 1941.
From the Vigan area, the submarine moved into the approaches to Lingayen Gulf, and in January 1942, she again turned north to patrol the entrance to Lamon Bay. She rounded Cape Bojeador on 9 January and Cape Engaño on 10 January, and, on 11 January—as the Japanese invaded the Netherlands East Indies at Tarakan, Borneo, and Minahasa, Celebes—she headed south for the Molucca Passage. By 20 January, she was patrolling east of the Celebes to intercept enemy traffic into Kema. On 27 January, she was ordered to patrol off Kendari, which had been attacked on 24 January and then to proceed to the Royal Netherlands Naval Base at Soerabaja, then still under Allied control.
SEAL arrived at Soerabaja on 5 February. Daily air raids necessitated diving during the day and precluded repairs to her engines, which smoked excessively, and to the broken prism control mechanism in her high periscope. On 11 February, she departed for Tjilatjap on the south coast of Java, and on 14 February, she went alongside USS HOLLAND. That same day, the Japanese moved into southern Sumatra, and on 19 February, they invaded Bali. Allied forces counterattacked, and as air and surface forces hit the Japanese fleet, SEAL departed Tjilatjap and transited Lombok Strait to patrol north of Java. On 24 February, she attacked two convoys, only damaging one freighter. The next day, she unsuccessfully attacked an enemy warship formation. On 1 March, as the Japanese moved against Soerabaja, she was similarly disappointed. On 14 March, she headed east to patrol the southern approaches to Makassar City, and for the next week, with her forward air conditioning unit broken down and her refrigerating plant inoperable, she patrolled between that city and De Bril Bank. On 21 March, she headed for Fremantle, Western Australia—the Netherlands East Indies had fallen.
Arriving on 9 April, SEAL departed again on 12 May and worked her way through the Malay Archipelago, the Celebes Sea, and the Sulu Sea to her patrol area off the Indochina coast. During the early morning hours of 28 May, she entered the South China Sea, and that night, she fired on and sank 1,946-ton TATSUFUKU MARU. On 7 June, while off Cam Ranh Bay, she attacked an eight-ship convoy and underwent a seven-hour depth charging by surface ships and aircraft. From 15–17 June, heavy seas and high winds hampered hunting, and on 18 June, "a healthy stream of air bubbles" was discovered "issuing from the starboard side...." On 19 June, she left the area and headed for Balabac Strait. On 23 June, she moved into Makassar Strait, and on 4 July, she reached Fremantle.
On her fourth war patrol, from 10 August-2 October, SEAL returned to the Indochina coast and patrolled north from Cape Padaran. Despite 11 sightings, she was plagued by uncertain torpedo performance against shallow draft vessels, by premature explosions and by leaky exhaust valves and holes in the fuel compensating line which resulted in air and oil leaks to the surface. She was able to damage only one cargo ship, on 3 September.
Twelve days later, SEAL was en-route back to Fremantle. She arrived on 2 October and departed again on 24 October to patrol in the shipping lanes in the Palau area. On 16 November, she intercepted a convoy of five cargomen in two columns with a destroyer escort and conducted a submerged attack on the leader of the near column as the formation zigzagged toward the submarine. Less than a minute after firing, SEAL collided with, or was rammed by, another enemy ship. The periscope went black and vibrated severely. The submarine rose to 55 feet (17 m); hung there nearly a minute then started down. A few minutes later, depth charging began and SEAL leveled off at 250 feet (76 m). Breaking up noises were heard. Four hours later, the area was clear and SEAL surfaced. The high periscope had been bent horizontally, and the housing on the low periscope had been sprung, preventing its operation. The radar antenna had been broken off the radio mast. Quantities of uncooked rice and beans, unlike those used on the submarine, were found between the wooden deck pieces of the cigarette deck, on the bridge, and caught in the bathythermograph. The periscope shears yielded "a good sample of Japanese bottom paint."
Captured Japanese documents later confirmed the sinking of 3,500-ton BOSTON MARU by an American submarine on that date in that...


Built as a cargo vessel under yard No 464 by American Shipbuilding Co., Cleveland, OH, USA for Schoubye’s Rederi A/S (Claus Schoubye), Tonsberg, Norway.
Launched as the LYDERHORN, named after a mountain in Norway.
Tonnage 1,895 gross, 1,049 net, 3,100 dwt. Dim. 76.56 (bpp.) x 13.31 x 5.51m. (draught
Powered by a triple expansion 3-cyl. engine, 272 nhp., speed 8.5 knots.
April 1917 completed.

1924 Sold to A/S Janna (D. Steen) Oslo. Not renamed.
1932 Sold to D/S Patria A/S (Oluf S. Knudsen), Kristiansand S, Norway, renamed PATRIA.
1936 Sold to Scotto Anbrosino Pugliese Fils & Co., Oran, Algeria. (Under French flag and registry) renamed in MERS EL KEBIR.
February 1951 it runs aground at Port de Bouc without serious damage.
1955 Sold to Piero Pronzato, Genoa and renamed VALANCONE.
01 May 1960 she arrived by Cantiere Navalferro Sp. Genoa for scrapping.

France 2017 20gr letter sg?, scott?
Source: Lloyds Registry of ships.

You need to login to view group details.

I forgot my password


In order to login you must be registered. Registering takes only a few moments but gives you increased capabilities. The board administrator may also grant additional permissions to registered users. Before you register please ensure you are familiar with our terms of use and related policies. Please ensure you read any forum rules as you navigate around the board.

Terms of use | Privacy policy