Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year. Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa. Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque. A free sample of Log Book is available on request.
The stamp shows the packet vessel DUKE OF MARLBOROUGH ca 1802, there were two packet ships under that name, both owned and commanded by the famous packet captain John Bull. The first built in 1801, the second built in 1806. The stamp has the year 1802 on it, at that time the DUKE OF MARLBOROUGH (1) was in service in the Falmouth packet service. Lloyds Registry of 1803 gives that she was owned by J. Ball (most probably wrongly given by Lloyds and was it J.Bull.), commanded by J. Ball? (Bull). 180 ton and built in Dartmouth. It is given that she made voyages in the Packet service to the West Indies. 14 November 1803 sailed Falmouth for New York, made a call in the Scilly for bad weather, sailed from there on 27th November and arrived New York 17 January 1804, returned Falmouth 05 March 1804, that voyage under command of Capt. J. Bull.
July 1804 the DUKE OF MARLBOROUGH was captured by a French privateer, a musket ball passed during the action through Bull’s mouth knocking out two of his teeth and injuring his jaw. Before leaving his mouth to lodge in the mast. After the battle Bull retrieved the ball as a souvenir. Lloyds Registry 1804 does not mentioned her more. 27 July 1804 the ARABELLA Packet arrived in the Leeward Islands with the news that the DUKE OF MARLBOROUGH was captured and carried in at Guadeloupe where she was fitted out as a privateer with 20 guns, other source gives 16 long French 6 pounders and a crew of 140. Renamed in La DAME AMBERT.
After sailing from Guadeloupe she sighted the British warship HMS LILLY of the action is given by Wikipedia: HMS LILLY was off the coast of Georgia in the afternoon of 14 July 1804 when she sighted two vessels. She sailed towards them but by sunset was only able to determine that one was a ship and the other a smaller vessel, possibly the larger vessel's prize. In the morning the larger vessel could be seen towing the smaller. As LILLY approached, the larger vessel dropped her tow and sailed to engage LILLY. The enemy vessel proceeded to stay by LILLY's stern and to use her long guns at ranges LILLY's carronades could not match. The fire from the enemy vessel killed Compton and so damaged LILLY's rigging that she lost her ability to manoeuvre. Seeing that the enemy vessel was preparing to board, Lieutenant Samuel Fowler, who was now in command, wanted to surrender, but the warrant officers objected. As the two vessels came alongside LILLY was finally able to fire a broadside, which the French returned, and French fire killed Fowler. The British repelled several French attempts to board but eventually the French prevailed. LILLY's casualties were Compton and Fowler killed, and 16 men wounded. The French vessel was La DAME AMBERT, a privateer of 16 guns. DAME AMBERT had been the British packet MARLBOROUGH (or MARLBORO, DUKE OF MARLBOROUGH or GENERAL MARLBOROUGH prior to her capture. The French put their British prisoners onto a prize vessel and sent them into Hampton Roads. Once in America, a number of the British seamen deserted.
Could not find the fate of the La DAME AMBERT.
Belize 1985 25c sg848, scott? (The painting made by Jean_Basptista Henri Durand-Brager shows the action between HMS LILLY and La DAME AMBERT.) Source: Internet and Lloyds Registry.
Built in 1983 by Chongjin Shipyard for Ocean Maritime Management, Pyongyang. General Cargo, Gt:6587, Dw:9854, Loa:130,95m. B:18,40m. Draft:8m. IMO.8729884, call sign HMBO. 15-05-2009 renamed DAE GAK BONG.
North Korean freighter Dae Gak Bong abandoned, no news on vessel or crew fate Monday, December 17, 2012 North Korean general cargo vessel Dae(Tae) Gak Bong issued distress signal on Dec 9 12 in position 41-29N 131-02E, some 50 miles off North Korean coast, Japan sea. Disabled vessel was adrift after engine failure and total blackout. MRCC Vladivostok relayed information to North Korean authorities. Notices to Mariners on Dec 15 reported that the 24 crew left the vessel on a life raft. No other information as to the fate of crew or vessel available.
150th Anniversary of the Tune Viking Ship Finds 150 years have passed since the first Viking ship was excavated in Norway. Archaeologist Oluf Rygh excavated the Tune ship in only 14 days from the ship burial mound in Tune. Archaeologist Even Ballangrud Andersen describes the ship: “The ship is made from clinkered oak planks, a style that was common to the Nordics. Its mast was placed just behind midship and both stern posts were raised. A special chamber had been built for the man interred in the ship and all of his burial gifts and weaponry.” By analysing the growth rings, the ship was dated to between 905 and 910 A. D. After the ship was excavated in 1867, it was placed on a barge and sent to Fredrikstad before continuing on to Christiania. After many years in poor storage, it was moved in 1930 to its permanent home at the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo. Later research has concluded that the ship most likely had twelve strakes and was a fast warship used to quickly transport people. In terms of Norway’s maritime history, the Tune ship was the first indication that the stories passed orally through the years were true. Today the Viking ships stand as iconic witnesses to more than 1,000 years on the seven seas.
The era of the clipper ships was dominated by a sense of romance, competition, national pride and innovative technology. The sleek and graceful ships were a symbol of modernity in America and a fundamental part of the expanding global economy. Their design concentrated on speed instead of cargo capacity, which was a great benefit to shipping companies eager to transport goods quickly. Often ship owners or Captains would commission portraits to commemorate their vessels. The RACER was a 1700 ton ship built in 1851 by Currier & Townsend at Newburyport, Massachusetts under the superintendence of her experienced commander, Capt. R. W. Steele, formerly of the packet ship Andrew Foster, and previously of the U. S. Navy. She is 207 feet long, has 42-1/2 feet breadth of beam, 28 feet depth of hold, is 7 feet high between decks . It was the first and largest ship to be built specifically for the trade route between New York and Liverpool for the St George Line. The Racer is well known from her having made the fastest passage between New York and Liverpool. Her best day's run has been 394 miles. It was fitted out with passenger accommodation and cargo space in the hold for freight. She is provided also with large loading ports, one on each side in the upper, and two on a side in the lower between decks. The RACER involved in freight and passenger transport to Australia. The “Racer” sank in 1856, after going ashore on Arklow Bank. Fortunately, all five hundred passengers and crew members were rescued. The design stamp is made after painting of Dawson, Montague Djibouti 2013;300f. Source:http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/37454888?q&versionId=48848168. http://www.maritimeheritage.org/ships/C ... html#Racer. https://springfieldmuseums.org/collecti ... l-currier/
The stamp of Belize shows us a brig and as given on the stamp the packet ship DIANA is depict. Lloyds Registry was not so helpful there were around that time 2 or 3 pages in Lloyds with the ships name DIANA but nowhere by that name was given if it was a packet vessel. If she is the DIANA which is depict is doubtful I could not find any image of the ship, but the Falmouth Post Office packet ships were mostly brig rigged, and the stamp shows us a ship of that time. It looks that she was chartered by the Post Office as a packet but when and till in service I could not find.
The book “The Falmouth Packets 1689-1851 by Tony Pawlyn mentioned her twice In 1810 she parted her anchor cable during a severe storm over the West of England, and was nearly driven ashore. 22 September 1811 she sailed for Martinique.
In 1806 the DIANA was under command of Gibbons. 1813 Her captain is given as Parsons, 190 ton and owned by Capt. & Co, Whitehaven. Till 1818 was he the captain. Built in New York?. 1819 Her owner given as Symonds and under command of Captain Sleeman 1822 Same name, owner and captain. 1824 Lloyds Registry don’t mentioned her more.
Built in 1979 by Nampo Shipyard, for Korea Suhyang Shipping Co. Ltd. Nampo. General Cargo, Dw:2740, Nt:1429, Dw:4309, Loa:100,26m. B:14m. Draft:6,40m. 1 diesel: hp.? 4x2 derricks, IMO.7944683. 20-03-2010 transferred to Paekmagang Shipping Co. Ltd. Pyongyang, renamed PAEK MA GANG. 2013 By Korea Suhyang Shipping Co. Ltd. sold to Chinese breakers and arrived Shidao, Shandong on 16-04-2013.
(North Korea 2013, 15 Won, StG.?) Internet + LR97/98