SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year. Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

CARMEN sloop 1811

On 5 December 2016 Argentina issued a new stamp in honour of the Greek sailors who fought for the Argentine independence, Pedro Samuel Spiro and Nicolas Jorge Colmaniatis, they fought under orders of Admiral Guillermo Brown.
The vessel on the stamp is designed after a watercolour of the sloop CARMEN painted by the Argentine maritime painter Emilio Biggeri (1907-1977).

Information on the sloop CARMEN you can find: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9586&p=9871&hilit=carmen#p9871

Argentine 2016 $11 sg?, scott?
Source: Argentine Post.

The island, Sint Eustatius. "First Salute"

The name of the island, “Sint Eustatius”, is the Dutch name for Saint Eustace, a legendary Christian martyr.The island was seen by Christopher Columbus in 1493 and claimed by many different nations. From the first settlement, in the 17th century until the early 19th century, St. Eustatius changed hands twenty-two times. In 1636, the chamber of Zeeland of the Dutch West India Company took possession of the island that was then reported to be uninhabited. As of 1678, the islands of St. Eustatius, Sint Maarten and Saba fell under direct command of the Dutch West India Company, with a commander stationed on St. Eustatius to govern all three. At the time, the island was of some importance for cultivation of tobacco and sugar. The island sold arms and ammunition to anyone willing to pay. It was one of the few places from which the young United States could obtain military stores. The good relationship between St. Eustatius and the United States resulted in the noted "First Salute". On November 16, 1776, Captain Isaiah Robinson[9] of the 14-gun American brig Andrew Doria,[10] sailed into the anchorage below St. Eustatius' Fort Oranje. Robinson announced his arrival by firing a thirteen gun salute, one gun for each of the thirteen American colonies in rebellion against Britain. Governor Johannes de Graaff replied with an eleven gun salute from the cannons of Fort Oranje. International protocol required a two gun less acknowledgement of a sovereign flag. The Andrew Doria flew the Continental Colors of the fledgling United States. It was the first international acknowledgment of American independence.[Note 1] The Andrew Doria had arrived to purchase munitions for the American Revolutionary forces. She was also carrying a copy of the Declaration of Independence which was presented to Governor De Graaff. An earlier copy had been captured on the way to Holland by the British. U.S. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt came to St. Eustatius in 1939 to recognize the importance of the 1776 "First Salute". He presented a large brass plaque to St. Eustatius which is displayed today under a flagpole atop the walls of Fort Oranje. The plaque reads:"In commemoration to the salute to the flag of the United States, Fired in this fort November 16. 1776, By order of Johannes de Graaff, Governor of Saint Eustatius, In reply to a National Gun-Salute, Fired by the United States Brig of War Andrew Doria, Under Captain Isaiah Robinson of the Continental Navy, Here the sovereignty of the United States of America was first formally acknowledged to a national vessel by a foreign official. Presented by Franklin Delano Roosevelt, President of the United States of America"
Caribish Nederland 2016;88,0c. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sint_Eustatius

RIVER ADADA (Nigeria)

Built in 1978-'79 by Brodogradiliste i Tvornica Dizel Motora, Split, #290, for the Nigerian National Shipping Line, Lagos.
General cargo, Gt:13,165/9016, Nt:6699/4322, Dw:16,487/12,000, Loa:174.96m. Lbpp:166.17m. B:22.84m. Depth:13.01m. Draft:-/9.17m. 6 cyl. Sulzer/R.O. Tvornica Dizel Motora '3 Maj', Rijeka diesel:14,400 bhp. (10,592 kW.) 18.25 kn. 2 thrusters controllable pitch propellers forewards, 5 holds, 1 derrick SWL:80 tons, 7 derricks SWL:22 tons. TEU:428, pass:6, IMO.7716672, call sign:5NEC, strengthened for heavy cargoes, ice class 3.
In 1996 sold to Power Shipping S.A., St. Vincent, renamed RIVER, same year to Mediterranean Victory Marine Ltd., Cyprus, renamed AXION I.
08-2004 to Aseanise Ventures Ltd., St. Vincent, renamed LEONIS, 2008 to View Finance Business Corp., Panama, renamed LEONIS I.
27-07-2008 sold for US$8.2 million for scrapping in Chittagong.

Sisterships #291 RIVER OJI, #292 RIVER OLI, #293 RIVER MAJIDUN, # 294 RIVER GURARA, #295 RIVER OSHUN, #296 RIVER OGBESE, #297 RIVER MAJE.

(Gambia 1983, 50b. StG.503)
LR88/89 + Internet

BENMORE 1870

On this postal card is also depict the figurehead of the iron hulled sailing vessel BENMORE, the figurehead is now in the Mariners Museum in Newport, Virginia, the figurehead was repainted in 1920 with USA flag drapery.

Built as an iron hulled three masted sailing vessel under yard No 4 by John Reid & Co., Port Glasgow Glen yard for Benjamin C. Nicholson and McGill, Liverpool.
17 April 1870 launched as the BENMORE.
Tonnage 1,530 grt, 1,460 nrt, dim. 73.8 x 12.0m.
Square rigged, and one of the first ship to be fitted with double topgallant yards.
26 May 1870 registered at Liverpool.

She was mostly used in the general trade by the owners.
In 1872 she went out from Liverpool to Sydney, Australia in 81 days.
A few other voyages:
11 March 1893 left Penarth and arrived Rangoon on 14 June after a passage of 95 days.
18 July 1893 sailed from Rangoon and arrived Liverpool 03 November after a passage of 108 days.
23 December 1893 sailed Liverpool and arrived Vancouver 17 April 1894 after a passage of 107 days.
Her total mileage was 37,240 miles in 10 months 12 days (excluding time sent in port)
Her last voyage for her British owners was, when she sailed New York on 01 January 1898 bound for Sydney and after a passage of 80 days she arrived in Sydney. Then she sailed home and after arrival in October in Liverpool she was sold.
1898 Sold to Chr. Winsnaes, Norway.
1914 Sold to Brown Jenkinson & Co., London.
1914 Sold to the Fenchurch Trading Syndicate Ltd., London.1915 Sold to Minister of Railways & Canals, Canada, Ottawa. Her tonnage then given as 1,497 grt, 1,427 nrt.
1918 Sold to J. A. Farquar, Halifax N.S. and converted in a coal hulk.
Circa 1920 moved to St Thomas, West Indies still used as a coal hulk. Owned by Pendleton Bros. of New York.
1924 Refitted at Norfolk, Virginia and rerigged as a barque; sailed from Norfolk with a cargo of coal bound for Genoa, four days later she put into New York with a leak in her forepeak.
The coal was discharged and the BENMORE foundered in New York on 10 July 1924.

USA Postal card 1974 UX67. (the figurehead on the imprinted stamp is the EDINBURGH.)
Source: http://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?of ... el=BENMORE. The last of the Windjammers Volume 1 by Basil Lubbock.

Alonso de Ojeda

Alonso de Ojeda was born between 1466 and 1470 in Cuenca, Spain.He enters the service of the Duke of Medinaceli and receives the protection of the bishop Juan Rodriguez de Fonseca, thanks to which he manages to embark with Christopher Columbus, in his second trip, at the end of the year 1493. On the island of Guadalupe, Christopher Columbus orders him to find Diego Marquez and his men who had ventured on the island and had not returned from their expedition. On the island of Hispaniola (Hispaniola) Christopher Columbus sends Alonso de Ojeda to confront one of the Caribbean chiefs, Caonabo, who reigned over the central area of the island and the mines of Cibao.Ojeda manages to gain the trust of Caonabo and takes him prisoner. It also takes part in the battle of the Vega Real, in front of an impressive army of Indians that Fra Bartolomé de Las Casas has calculated with exaggeration in a hundred thousand. Back in Spain, he attended a policy of change and a whole series of discoveries that began in 1499. In conclusion of this policy, a series of capitulations are signed (past contracts between the discoverers, the conquerors and the king, In which the name Columbus is mentioned).Ojeda is the first to inaugurate what are called "minor trips" or "Andalusian journeys". The first expedition of Alonso de Ojeda, in association with Juan de la Cosa and Américo Vespucio, leaves of the Port of Santa Maria 18 of May of 1499.They follow the route of the third voyage of Columbus: Trinidad, Margarita (Pearl Coast), Curaçao and the peninsula of Coquibacoa or Goajira.The expedition will be back in Cadiz a year later, judged unprofitable. In order to carry out a second expedition in the same zone, Ojeda signs a new capitulation with the king the 8 of June of 1501. He is named Governor of Coquibacoa. In the company of Juan de Vergara and Garcia de Campos they drive four caravels. The expedition goes from Cape Verde to Margarita Island, bordering the coast of Curiana to reach Paraguana.During the voyage, he commits some abuses against the Portuguese and the Indians, to such an extent that he is made to arrest. In 1504 he regained his freedom thanks to the help of Fonseca. In 1508 he was appointed Governor of Uraba. Part of Hispaniola the following year but the expedition is a failure: Juan de la Cosa died in a confrontation with the Indians. After this failure, Alonso de Ojeda returns to Santo Domingo, where he would die in 1515.
Nederlands Antilles(Curacao) 1949;6c;12,5c;15с;SG306;307;308. Caribish Nederland 2016;88,0c.
Source:www.americas-fr.com/es/historia/ojeda.html

EDINBURGH barque 1883 figurehead

This postal card issued by the USA Mail shows us an imprinted stamp of 12c of a ships figurehead from the barque EDINBURG. The figurehead is carved by the Canadian wood carver John Rogerson (1837-1925) and it is believed to have been modelled on the Duchess of Edinburgh, The Russian born daughter of Czar Alexander II and daughter in law of Queen Victoria. The figurehead was sold by Christie’s New York in 2007 for $262,400 to a private European buyer, much more as the worth of the ship when built.

Built as a wooden barque in 1883 by W.Charland at Levis, Quebec for his own account.
Launched as the EDINBURGH.
Tonnage 1,318 ton, dim. 203.3 x 28.6 x 23.9ft.
She was built of oak, hackmatack and elm.

1883 Maiden voyage under command of Captain Thos. Filkins, and registered in Quebec, Canada.
1884 Is given as owner John Herron of Liverpool, and registered in Liverpool.
The ships of J. Herron & Co., Liverpool were mostly used between the U.K. and Australia, so most probably also the EDINBURGH.
1905 Was she sold to Biagio Mortola, Genoa, Italy not renamed.
1905 She foundered off Bermuda and was washed up on the beach of Bermuda. The figurehead was bought by the American consul of Bermuda, and for many years it was standing in the garden of the Consulate until bought by the Addison Gallery.

Source: Log Book 4/51.
USA 1974 postal card UX67.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Links, affiliates and special offers

Links to establishments offering special offers to forum members
  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to Ship name index

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forum permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum