INDIAN FLEET REVIEW 1989

The Review of the Indian Naval Fleet by the President of India, Shri R Venkataraman, off the Gateway of India at Bombay on 15th February 1989 is the 7th Naval Review since. Independence. This great honour, being done to the 'Silent Service' by the Head of the State follows a time-honoured tradition uniquely naval, historical and ceremonial.
The earliest known record of Naval Reviews is that of the British Fleet by King Edward III, which goes back to the year 1415. In those days, such Reviews were held primarily for the Head of the State to satisfy him on the operational readiness of his ships to wage war at sea. Time gradually changed this concept from solely operational to impressive ceremonial with a view to highlight the importance of such historical landmarks.
The President of India in his capacity as the Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces, usually reviews the Indian Fleet once during his tenure as Head of the Republic. The first such Review was by our first President, Dr. Rajendra Prasad on 10 October 1953.
This Review is a clear indicator of the achievements in self-reliance in shipbuilding industry - particularly so for the warships. We have come a long way from the total foreign acquisitions of the sixties to self-reliance in conceiving, designing and building sophisticated warships and submarines in. the eighties.
The Review 89 puts on display an impressive array of ships, aircrafts and submarines which signify the growth of the Indian Navy from a mere fledgling into a mature and capable three-dimensional fighting force, ready to meet any challenge ahead.
Description of Designs:
The stamp depicts a naval task force heading towards its mission and has the Naval ensign on the top left corner. The stamp has adopted a photograph taken by Cdr.D.S Brar of the Indian Navy.

Not any vessel on the stamp has been identified.

Source IndiaPost.
India 1989 6R50 sg 1365, scott?

SOUTHERN CROSS (V)

Norfolk Island and Samoa issued in 1999 both a set of stamps for the 150 years Melanesian Mission, the stamps have been designed after stained glass windows, and the highest value of the set shows one of the vessels of the Melanesian Mission the SOUTHERN CROSS. At all 9 ships have carried the name SOUTHERN CROSS for the mission and 1 is still in service.

The design is not so clear but it shows us a topsail schooner, only two vessels can be the depicted vessel, the SOUTHERN CROSS IV was barquentine rigged, and did not have the rigging as given on the stained glass window, the V was a topsail schooner with a square sail on the foremast that she must be the vessel depict on the stamp. All the other ships of the mission are different.

Built as a steel hulled passenger-cargo vessel under yard no 738 by Armstrong, Withworth & Co, Low Walker on-the-Tyne for the Bishop of Melanesian, London.
11 February 1903 launched as the SOUTHERN CROSS (V). Christened by Mrs. John Selwyn, the widow of the late Bishop Selwyn.
Tonnage 683 ton, dim. 61.16 x 56.1 (bpp) x 9.1 x 3.96m.
Powered by one auxiliary triple expansion steam engine, manufactured by the North Eastern Marine Engineering Comp., Wallsend. 600 hp?, speed 11 knots.
The auxiliary engine were never used unnecessarily, or pressed more than could be avoided, because of the long distances to be covered on the work of the diocese and because of the urgent necessity of conserving the coal supply.
Accommodation for 105 persons.
There was a small chapel on board. In its original shipboard configuration, the 2.5m x 3.0m chapel opened out onto the saloon, which doubled as a congregation space during a service. Bishop Wilson described it as "the little church [which] makes this ship visibly different from all others”.
She was fitted out with two large lifeboats, two cutters and a dinghy.
Building cost £20,000. She was based at Auckland, New Zealand.

25 May 1903 sailed from the River Thames under command of Captain William Sinker, who was for a long time the captain on the ship.
Used as a mission ship in the south Pacific till she was sold for scrap.
March 1933 arrived Auckland and was broken up by Auckland Shipbreaking Co. Ltd.
The paneling of the chapel were rescued or bought by a priest, and carefully reassembled and you can now see in the St Mattheu’s in the City Church in Auckland.

Source: http://www.miramarshipindex.nz and various internet sites.
Norfolk Island 1999 45c/$1.20 sg?, scott?
Solomon Islands 1999 $1.00/1.50 sg?, scott?

GAL INS (Israel)

Built in 1975-’76 by Vickers, Barrow-in-Furness for the Israeli Navy.
Submarine, displacement:420 tonnes (surfaced) 600 tonnes (submerged) length:45 m. (148’) beam:4.7 m. (15’) draught:3.7 m. (12’)
Propulsion:1 shaft 2 × MTU 16V 396 SE 84 diesels:1200 hp. & AEG Generators, 1 × electric motor:1800 hp. 11 kn. surfaced, 17 kn. submerged, complement:32, max. depth:200 m.
Sensors and processing systems: radar Plessey, sonar Plessey. Armament:8 × 533mm. 21” tubes bow. Sub-Harpoon Missiles, NT 37E torpedoes, SAM launcher (removed)

The Type 540 Gal-class submarine is a slightly modified variant of the German HDW Type 206 submarine class (which includes the distinctive dome, or bulge, in the front of the boat), modified for Israeli requirements. The Gal class submarines were built to Israeli specifications at the Vickers shipyards Type 540 at Barrow in Furness in the UK rather than Germany for political reasons. "GAL" (גל - Hebrew for "wave") was the name of the son of Abraham (Ivan) Dror, 3rd commander of the squadron and head of the project.

The Gal class of submarines were the first Israeli Navy submarines built to Israeli Navy specifications. They supplant previous generations of submarines employed from 1958 by the Israeli navy which were refurbished and upgraded boats of the British S class and T class; submarines whose hull designs dated back to the decade before World War II.

Since entering service in the late 1970s, these small but agile and sophisticated submarines were continuously upgraded with newer systems to maintain their technological edge. They were somewhat unusual in that all boats of the class were at one point equipped with six-tube retractable Blowpipe surface-to-air missile launchers controlled from inside the boat, though these were later removed. The Israeli newspaper Maariv reports that Gal-class submarines were active in the 1982 Lebanon War. During 1983 torpedo tube launched Sub-Harpoon anti-ship missiles and associated fire control systems were added to all boats of the Gal class. NT 37E torpedoes were acquired to replace the older Mk 37 models in 1987–88. All extensively overhauled in 1994–95, including improved sensors and fire control system. In the late 1990s, the Gal submarines were replaced with the new, much larger Dolphin-class submarines. The Gal boats were decommissioned in the early 2000s. One was scrapped and two were sent to HDW in Germany in hopes of finding a foreign buyer. When none was found, in October 2007 Gal was shipped back to Haifa, Israel and is now on display in the Israeli Naval Museum. Some changes were made in the submarine to make it accessible to visitors, such as an entrance cut into her side.

Sisterships: INS TANIN, launched 25 October 1976, decommissioned 2002.
INS RAHAV, launched 8 May 1977, decommissioned 1997.

(Israel 2017, 2.50 sh, StG.?)
Internet.

SAMAL JOENSEN-MIKINES painting THE FAREWELL

The Faroe Islands issued in 1991 a set of stamps to honour the Faroese painter Samal Joenson-Mikines https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S%C3%A1ma ... en-Mikines

Most of his works are sombre, expressing his fixation with death a suffering after a series of personal tragedies. One of this set of stamps has a maritime theme, the painting “The Farewell” which shows us the mailboat leaving the quay with in the foreground wife’s of the men leaving. The painting was made in 1955 and is now in the Faroe Island Art Museum, Torshavn.

Source: Internet.
Faroe Island 1991 370 ore sg?. scott 229

BUDAPEST CHAIN BRIDGE

For the 150th Anniversary of the Budapest Ketten (Chain) Bridge https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chain_Bridge_(Budapest)

Hungary issued a miniature sheet in 1999, which shows the bridge and passing under the bridge a paddle steamer.
The MS has near the paddle steamer the inscription OROSZ but a paddlesteamer under that name I could not find, most probably the stamp designer name. The stylistic paddle steamer represent a design of an early paddle steamer used on the Danube River.

Hungary 1999 150 Fl, sgMS?, scott?

SAILING VESSELS Iceland 1998

The Nordic countries issued stamps with the theme sailing in 1998, in which Iceland issued two stamps with stylistic sailing vessels which looks fishing vessels under sail.

Co-operation amongst the Nordic countries in postal maters occurs through the offices of the Nordic Post Association which was established in 1946. Members of this association are, Iceland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland. The concept of joint stamps issue grew from this cooperation, with the first stamps being released in 1956. The subject then was five swans flying in formation – a traditional symbol of Nordic cooperation. The Faroe Islands, Greenland and the Åland Islands began participation in joint stamp issues in 1993 and in 1995 the theme was “Travel in the Nordic Countries”.

Source: Watercraft Philately 1998 page 14. Islandic Post Bulletin No 1/98
Island 1998 35.00/45.00 Kr. Sg 895/896, scott ?

Tristan da Cunha.The first landing.

Though far west of the Cape of Good Hope, the islands were on the preferred route from Europe to the Indian Ocean in the 17th century; ships first crossed the Atlantic to Brazil on the Northeasterly Trades, followed the Brazil Current south to pass the Doldrums, and then picked up the Westerlies to cross the Atlantic again, where they could encounter Tristan da Cunha. The Dutch East India Company required their ships to follow this route, and on 17 February 1643 the crew of the Heemstede, captained by Claes Gerritszoon Bierenbroodspot, made the first confirmed landing. The Heemstede replenished their supplies with fresh water, fish, seals and penguins and left a wooden tablet with the inscription "Today, 17 February 1643, from the Dutch fluyt Heemstede, Claes Gerritsz Bierenbroodspot from Hoorn and Jan Coertsen van den Broec landed here".(See the stamp). There after, the Dutch East India Company returned to the area four more times to explore whether the islands could function as a supply base for their ships. The first stop was in 5 September 1646 on a voyage to Batavia, Dutch East Indies, and the second was an expedition by the galliot Nachtglas (Nightglass), which left from Cape Town on 22 November 1655. The crew of the Nachtglas noticed the tablet left by the Heemstede on 10 January 1656 near a watering place. They left a wooden tablet themselves as well, like they also did on Nachtglas Eijland (now Inaccessible Island). The Nachtglas, commanded by Jan Jacobszoon van Amsterdam, examined Tristan da Cunha and Gough Island and made rough charts for the Dutch East India Company. Dutch sailors also stayed on the island for four weeks in 1658, and made their last stop in April 1669, when their idea of utilizing the islands as a supply base was abandoned, probably due to the absence of a safe harbour.
In the 17th century ships were also sent from Saint Helena by the English East India Company to Tristan to report on a proposed settlement there, but that project also came to nothing.
Tristan da Cunha 1983;4p;SG351.
Source: wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_Tristan_da_Cunha.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Unidentified ships on stamps

  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
Previous

Return to Ship name index

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forum permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum