The clipper packet “Dreadnought”of 1853

The career of the clipper “Dreadnought” is a stirring chronicle of romance and recklessness on the Atlantic. The well-known packet ship Dreadnought also came out in 1853. She was built by Currier & Townsend at Newburyport, and was 1413 tons register; length 210 feet, breadth 40 feet, depth 26 feet. This ship was owned by Governor E. D. Morgan, Francis B. Cutting, David Ogden, and others, of New York, who subscribed to build her for Captain Samuel Samuels. He superintended her construction and under his able command she made some remarkably quick voyages between New York and Liverpool, sailing in David Ogden's Red Cross Line, with the Victory, Racer, and Highflyer. Captain Samuels commanded the Dreadnought for ten years, and during that time she made from seventy to eighty passages across the Atlantic, and must have had ample opportunity to make fast voyages and day's runs. She sailed from New York, May 4, 1855, and arrived at Liverpool May 20th; passage recorded as 15 days 12 hours. Distance sailed from Sandy Hook to the Northwest Lightship, 3018 miles; passage 13 days 8 hours, mean time.It was during this passage that the Dreadnought is supposed to have made the run from Sandy Hook to Queenstown in 9 days 17 hours, but an analysis of the abstract log shows that 9 days 21 hours after discharging her pilot to the eastward of Sandy Hook she was not within 400 miles of Queenstown.How this mythical tale originated, is difficult to imagine, but it has been passed along from one scribe to another these many years, until at last it has reached the dignity of an "historical fact," having recently been embalmed in an encyclopedia. Curiously enough, Captain Samuels appears to be almost the only person who has written about the Dreadnought who does not refer to this fable. In his memoirs, he makes no mention of it.The best passage to the westward made by the Dreadnought was in 1854, when she ran from the Rock Light, Liverpool, to Sandy Hook in 19 days. While it cannot be said that the Dreadnought ever made the fastest passage of a sailing vessel between New York and Liverpool, as the records in this respect are held by the Red Jacket, Captain Asa Eldridge, from Sandy Hook to the Rock Light, in 13 days 1 hour, in 1854, and by the Andrew Jackson, Captain John Williams, from Rock Light to Sandy Hook in 15 days, in 1860, still the uniform speed of the Dreadnought's many voyages entitles her to a high place among the celebrated packet ships of the past. Twice in one year she was forced into Fayal, in the Azores, for repairs. It is small wonder that sailors called her the “Wild Boat of the Atlantic”, or the “Flying Dutchman”.
The Dreadnought was a strikingly handsome and well-designed, though by no means a sharp ship. Her masts, yards, sails, ironwork, blocks, and standing and running rigging were of the best material and were always carefully looked after. She was a ship that would stand almost any amount of driving in heavy weather, and her fast passages were in a measure due to this excellent quality, though mainly to the unceasing vigilance and splendid seamanship of her commander. She was wrecked in 1869 while under the command of Captain P. N. Mayhew; her crew were rescued after being adrift fourteen days in the boats, but the noble old packet ship went to pieces among the rugged cliffs and crags and roaring breakers of Cape Horn. . For more details about the Dreadnought see: http://www.shippingwondersoftheworld.co ... ought.html.
The design stamp is made after painting of Frank Vining Smith:Packet Ship ‘Dreadnought,’
Uganda2016;2000s. Source:https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/The_Clipper_Ship_Era/Chapter_15.

DUTCH LIFESAVING AT SEA

For the 100th anniversary of the Dutch rescue and lifesaving society at sea the Netherlands issued two stamps in 1924.
The stranding of the Dutch sailing ship De VREDE on 14 October 1824 at Huisduinen, Netherland during a severe storm on the Dutch coast in which many ships were lost was the reason that the Zuid-Hollandsche Maatschappij tot Redding van Schipbreukelingen (ZHMRS) was founded in 1824. She operated from Scheveningen to the Belgium border. They later merged with the Noord and Zuidhollandsche Reddings Maatschappyij founded also in 1824 which operated in the North of Netherland, and formed the Royal Netherlands Sea Rescue Institution (KNRM)
To rescue the crew of De VREDE a small row-boat was launched crewed by local fishermen from Huisduinen to rescue the crew of De VREDE, One the first trip 6 crewmembers were rescued but on the second trip on the return from the wreck, the small boat was turned over in the breakers and crew and rescuers drowned.
The 2 cent stamp shows us sailing ships during a storm at sea, It is (the only?) Dutch stamp which did not have the country name Nederland on the stamp.
The 10 cent shows us a lifeboat on a cradle or slip.

Source: Various internet sites.
Netherland 1924 2/10c sg293/94 scott?

Clippership A.J.Fuller

The «AJ Fuller» was a 1782 net ton, 229 foot long, 41 feet wide, wooden, three-skysail characterized as a “Downeaster” that was launched on May 14, 1881 in Bath, Maine from the Chapman and Flint yard. It was named after a prominent citizen in Maine at the time, Dr. Andrew Jackson Fuller. Built by John McDonald for Flint & Co. of New York and advertised as a "Magnificant New Clipper Ship. Offering The Cheapest Freight Route To California."For her first 11 years she was commanded by Captain Theodore P. Colcord for use in fast shipments in the New York-San Francisco-Liverpool runs. Later she made trips to the Orient carrying case oil, and continued to make speedy runs from the North Atlantic to Honolulu with Hawaiian sugar for the east coast. In October 1899 she was sold to California Shipping Co., San Francisco, and used in the export of lumber trade for the next 10 years, often returning with Australian coal to the pacific coast. Eventually the AJ Fuller was sold to Northwestern Fisheries Co. in 1909 for use in the Alaska salmon trade to make runs from Alaska to Seattle.The Fuller had arrived in Elliot Bay in October 1918 from the north in Uyak, Kodiak Island, Alaska. Her holds stored 48,075 cases of salmon, 3,300 barrels of salt fish, 28 boxes of labels, and 280 empty oil drums. She was moored on a large steel buoy approximately 2000 feet from Harbor Island. All of the crew had gone ashore, including Captain Mark Haskell, with pay in hand. Only the first mate and watchman stayed aboard. It was a cold foggy night on October 30, 1918, and around 1 am the first mate was awakened by the watchman telling of a ship that was 300 feet away and closing. Next, there was a jolt that must have shaken them to the very depths of their souls. The Japanese steamer, Mexico Maru, out-bound on a southernly course slipped right into the Fuller's anchorage area, and slammed into her starboard bow. Luckily all of the 100 cannery workers were ashore, because the Maru cut a 10 foot wide hole right where some of these men would have bunked. The first mate Torger E. Jorgersen and watchman John E. Johanson immediately ran from their quarters and lowered a lifeboat without even pausing long enough to survey the damage. The Maru picked up the two and brought them ashore to pier 6. The 229 foot AJ Fuller sank in about 10 minutes, dragging down its steel buoy, and now rests on the bottom of Elliot Bay in 225 feet of water. When the fog lifted, two fireboats went out to the crash site to investigate the scene. There they found and recovered 42 empty oil drums, and two small boats. The Mexico Maru, with chunks of the Fuller still lodged in her anchor, continued on towards Tacoma.
Six months later, a Seattle deep diver by the name of Captain Henry Finch investigated the wreck. He descended down to the top masts and positioned himself in the rigging. Using wire sweeps and grappling hooks, Finch recovered several artifacts including, several blocks and chains, part of the taffrail, and the ship's compass. Still attached to the compass, was the top of the wheelhouse, which Finch also recovered. The cargo of Salmon was a total loss. The design stamp is made after painting of Frank Vining Smith: Clippership A.J.Fuller.
Uganda2016;5000s.
Source: http://www.dcsfilms.com/Site_4/AJ_Fuller.html

TJALK

Netherland issued in 1976 two stamps for Project Zuiderzee of which the 40c shows us a stylised “tjalk”, what was used as a sailing cargo vessel in the Netherlands.
The design is very unclear, but I found a drawing on the web-site of the Museum of Communication in La Hague, Netherlands after which the stamp was designed, which clearly shows us that a tjalk is depict on the stamp. http://www.postzegelontwerpen.nl
More info on Project Zuiderzee is given by Wikipedia. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuiderzee_Works
Netherland 1976 40c sg1252 (Stanley Gibbons give also that a tjalk is depict)

The “tjalk” is a collective term for a number of flatbottomed vessels with rounded ends in the Netherlands. Mainly inland freight carriers but there were also sea-tjalks. Some were converted to yachts.
The first time she was mentioned in officially Friesian documents was in 1673. Constructed from wood till the end of the 20th century then mostly built of iron or steel.
Full rounded bow and stern with tumble home top strake along the sides and strong tumble home at ends. Stem curved with a gripe below the waterline; stem wide ended in an angled point.Straight almost vertical sternpost. Wide, flat bottom with shallow or heavy plank keel; rounded bilgesd and sides. Amount of sheer varies, but is higher at the bow.; greater sheer on early vessels and those working open waters.; low freeboard when loaded. Rubbing strakes may phase out at the ends.. Long wide leeboards; strong outboard rudder; massive tiller; on some the tiller came in blow a triangular helmpost Decked with a deckhouse aft. Two hatches one forward of the mast and the main hatch abaft the mast.
She carried a single pole-mast which could be lowered when passing bridges. Bezan rigged.
Length between 11 – 36m, length to beam ratio 3.5-4.1, shallow draft.

Source: Aak to Zumbra a dictionary of the World’s Watercraft http://www.spesmea.nl/en/hull_and_rigging.htm

JOSEPH CONRAD: FULL-RIGGED SHIP

The veteran training ship Joseph Conrad sailed under three flags before mooring permanently at Mystic Seaport in 1947. Built in Copenhagen in 1882 and named Georg Stage as a memorial to the young son of Frederik Stage, a prominent ship owner, the 111-foot vessel, one of the smallest full-rigged ships built in modern times, was designed to accommodate eighty boys in training for the Danish merchant service. From her launching until her sale in 1934, more than 4,000 cadets sailed in her for six-month training courses in the Baltic and North seas. Run down by a British freighter in 1905, the Georg Stage sank, taking 22 young men with her. However, she was raised and repaired and soon resumed her career.
Retired after 52 years, the vessel was about to be broken up when Alan Villiers bought her in 1934. Under the British flag, and renamed the Joseph Conrad, Captain Villiers took her on a 58,000-mile voyage around the world that lasted more than two years. Once again boys were her crew–a nucleus of older teenagers from big four-masted barks, officers from the Cape Horn trade, eight American cadets and eight British, with a sprinkling of Australians and New Zealanders.
In 1936 George Huntington Hartford bought her, added a modern engine, and used her for three years as a private yacht. Under his ownership, the Conrad was matched against the Seven Seas in a square-rigged ship race from the United States to Bermuda and back, each winning one leg. In 1939, the Conrad was transferred by Hartford to the U.S. Maritime Commission and continued in service as an American training ship until 1945. After a two-year lay-up she became, by act of Congress, the property of Mystic Seaport.
At Mystic Seaport the Conrad is an exhibit as well as a training ship for the Mystic Mariner Program, and the Museum’s educational programs. Although she goes to sea no longer, she continues to fulfill her original purpose. .The design stamp is made after painting of Сharles Vickery :Ship “Joseph Conrad”.
Uganda2016:1000s. Source:https://www.mysticseaport.org/locations/conrad/

SPINDRIFT CCGC

In conjunction with an international convention of fire chiefs being held in Toronto, four stamps will be issued on September 23, 1991 to draw public focus on four Canada's Dangerous Public Service Occupations: fire-fighting; police; search and rescue; and the ski patrol. Given the large land mass of this country and its lengthy sea coasts, search and rescue has played an important role in the survival of countless thousands of people. As early as 1798, the Government of Nova Scotia established a rescue station with a lifeboat in Sable Island, long known as "The Graveyard of the Atlantic" for its numerous shipwrecks. Numerous organizations are involved in search and rescue including volunteer groups: police forces; Parks Canada; the Armed Forces; the Department of Fisheries and Oceans; and the Canadian Coast Guard to name a few. Training for this professions is amongst the most rigorous. This can involve up to two years in parachuting, scuba diving, mountain climbing and advanced first aid. This knowledge is combined with the technology necessary to pinpoint distress signals from all types of crafts in trouble.
Canada Post Corporation. Canada's Stamps Details, No. 3, 1991, p. 7-8, 10.

The rescue boat depict is given by Watercraft Philately is the Canadian Coast Guard cutter CCGC SPINDRIFT which was stationed in Cobourg, Ontario.
Built in 1964 by Cliff Richardson Boats, Meaford, Ontario for the Canadian Coast Guard.
Tonnage 59 GT, dim. 21.3 x 5.1 x 1.6m.
Powered by diesel engines, 1,050 shp, twin shafts, Speed 13 knots.
Crew 4. Stationed at Cobourg, Lake Ontario, Canada.

A type 400 search and rescue cutter.
The design of the stamp is made by Suzanne Duraceau, and is based on a photograph of the craft on a postcard printed by the Lowe-Martin Co. Inc., Ottawa.
1991 Taken out of service: Could not find if she is still around, more info welcome.
Have not any idea which oil platform is depict on the stamp or were situated.

Canada 1991 40c sg1444, scott1333.
Source: Watercraft Philately May-June 1996 page 75.

NORMANDIE (D-651)

Built as a multi-purpose frigate by DCNS at Lorient, France for the French Navy.
08 October 2009 keel laid down.
10 October2012 launched as the NORMANDIE (D-651)
Displacement 6,000 ton, dim. 142 x 19 x 7.30m. (draught)
Powered by GODAG by one General-Electric Avio LM2500+G4 turbines of 32 MW. Shafts ?, speed 27 knots.
Armament:1 – 76mm OTO Melara compact SR. 2 – 20mm guns, 8 missiles MBDA Exocet 16 MBDA ster missiles. 4 – torpedo launches torpedo tubes with 19 MU90 torpedoes.
1 NH90 helicopter.
Crew 108.
October 2013 she made her first sea trials.
23 June 2015 handed over to the Egyptian Navy.
24 June 2015 the first time the Egyptian flag was raised on board, and most probably renamed in TAHYA MISR (1001) the same time.

The TAHYA MISR is the third anti-submarine frigate of the FREMM program built at the DCNS yard in Lorient , and was to be admitted to the French Navy and take the name of NORMANDIE. It is sold in February 2015 to the Egyptian navy before its delivery to the French Navy. She has never sailed under the French flag. The frigate is renamed TAHYA MISR.
Construction
Its construction begins on 8 October 2009 . It is being launched on 18 October 2012. The trials at sea begin in October 2013. The frigate was handed over to the Egyptian navy on 23 June 2015. She sailed for the first time under the Egyptian flag on 24 June 2015. She participated in the naval review during the inauguration of the new Suez Canal on 6 August 2015.
Features
The frigate TAHYA MISR is equipped with two inertial navigation units SIGMA 40 created by Sagem . Thanks to their Gyrolaser technology (Ring Laser Gyro), these inertial units offer a very high degree of precision and multiply the efficiency of sensors, armaments and self-defense means of the vessel.

Djibouti 2016 960FD sgMS?, scott? (She is the frigate in the background given as the NORMANDIE (651).
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tahya_Misr_(fr%C3%A9gate)
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Ship Stamps Collection

The full index of our ship stamp archive
  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
PreviousNext

Return to Ship name index

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 58 guests

Forum permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum