CHANTAL fishing boat

The R3 stamp issued by Zil El Wannyen Sesel for the Lloyd’s London Centenary in 1988 is given by Stanley Gibbons as the fishing boat CHANTEL.

Could not find a CHANTEL as a fishing boat in the islands, but CHANTAL exist, I found that the fishing boat schooner rigged CHANTAL was fitted out in 1988 with an echo sounder and electrically powered reels. Could not find any more details on the vessel or if she still is used as a fishing boat in 2018.

Zil.el Wannyen Sesel 1988 3R sg187, scott?

GLOVIS SOLOMON ro-ro car carrier 2011

This miniature sheet issued by Qatar in 2017 shows us the Port of Hamad with in the background in the margin a container vessel, and on the other side of the port some cargo ships, all this ships have been not identified, The stamp depict a vehicle carrier and identified by Watercraft Philately as the GLOVIS SOLOMON.
Built as a ro-ro vehicle carrier under yard No S400 by Hyundai Samho Heavy Industries Co. Ltd., Moko, South Korea for C Ladybug Corp., Panama.
18 June 2010 keel laid down.
08 October 2010 launched as the C LADYBUG.
Tonnage 72.635 grt, 26,226 net, 26,988 dwt. Dim. 232.52 x 32.26 x 20.11m. draught 10.01 m., length bpp. 222.40m.
Powered by 1 Wärtsilä/Hyundai 7RT-flex82T single acting 8 cyl. 19,040 kW. The engine was built Hyundai Heavy Ind. Engine & Machinery, Ulsan, South Korea. One fixed pitch propeller, speed 20 knots.
Car capacity 8,100 units.
Tank capacity, fuel oil 4,170.7 m³, ballast water 12,516,1 m³.
11 July 2011 completed, under Panama flag and registry.

July 2014 sold to Hyundai Gloves Co, Ltd, Seoul, South Korea and renamed GLOVES SOLOMON. Under Marshall Island flag and registry.
2018 in service same name and owners, IMO No 9445409.

Sources: Various internet sites and Miramar.
Qatar 2017 4.50R/8.50R sgMS?, scott?


Brazil issued one stamp in 2017 for the 200th anniversary of independence, the theme of the stamp is a portrait of Princess Maria Leopoldina, ... of_Austria

The warship depict on the stamp is the Portuguese DOM JOÃO VI she was one of the ships who escorted the two Austrian warships to Brazil were Maria Leopoldina arrived in Rio de Janeiro on 13 August 1817.
The design of the ship on the stamp is made after a watercolour made by Franz Joseph Frühbeck.
The DOM JOÃO VI was a wooden hulled two decked ship-of-the-line built by the Naval Arsenal in Lisbon for the Portuguese Navy.
24 August 1816 launched under the name DOM JOÃO VI.
Tonnage 3,206 ton, length on deck 60m, beam 14.03m.
Armament 14 – 32pdr. 30 – cannons of 22 lb. and 30 cannons 18 lb.
Crew 537.

1817 She was part of a naval squadron that escorted the Austrian Archduchess Maria Leopoldina Giuseppa Carolina of Habsburg-Lorraine to Brazil after she had married Crown Prince Don Pedro de Alcântara.
1821 She brought King John VI of Portugal and his family and the body of his mother Queen Maria from Rio de Janeiro to Lisbon, where Queen Maria was buried in the Monastery of Sâo Vincente de Fora in Lisbon.
Sometime later the DOM JOÃO VI sailed back to Rio de Janeiro, making a call at Pernambuco, she was that voyage under command of Maximiliano de Sousa who had to oblige the Crown Prince Dom Pedro to paternal obedience.
But instead the vessel was assigned to the squadron of Joâo Félix Pereira de Campos and sailed to Bahia.
April 1823 for a long period the squadron was patrolling off the coast of Bahia.
1826 The DOM JOÃO VI sailed to Brest, where after she brought back Prince Dom Miguel to Rio de Janeiro.
During the Civil War in Brazil she took part in the Battle of Praia da Vitória on 11 August 1829 as a unit of the Royal Navy Squadron under command of Admiral José Joaquim da Rosa Coelho.
11 July 1831 took part in the Battle of the Tagus against a French naval squadron under command of Rear Admiral Albin Roussin. She was captured by the French but later returned to the Portuguese Government.
05 August 1833 she took part in the Battle of Capo San Vincenzo as flagship of Admiral António Marreiros, she was captured by the constitutionalist forces under command of Admiral Charles Napier.
1836 In use as a depot ship. From 1841-1842 her usable parts of her rigging and sailing equipment and other usable parts were used for a newbuilding, the 80 gun vessel VASCO DA GAMA, and her recommissioned as a fighting ship was a lengthy political debate between 1849 – 1851.
1851 It was decided not to use her again.
1852 The DOM JOÃO VI was demolished.

Brazil 2017 2.40R$ sg?, scott?


On 24th of November, 2017 the State Committee for Information Technology and Communications of the Kyrgyz Republic puts into circulation a souvenir sheet with one Kyrgyz Express Post postage stamp: “The Great Silk Road”.
For many centuries the Great Silk Road was an important means of trade ties and dialogue between the cultures of the West and the East. The longest stretch of the Silk Road passed through the territory of Central Asia, including Kyrgyzstan. Along the Silk Road, rich cities, commercial settlements and caravanserais emerged and flourished. In the territory of Kyrgyzstan, these include: Djul, Suyab, Novokent, Balasagun, Borskoon, Tash-Rabat, Osh, Uzgen.
In 2013, the People's Republic of China put forward the concept of the "New Silk Road" better known as “The Belt and Road Initiative”. This concept involves the creation, by 2030, of an extensive infrastructure network from the western borders of China through the countries of Central Asia and Iran to Europe.
The miniature sheet description.

The Great Silk Road: track routes on a map, camel caravans, Chinese vases, modern means of transportation (train, plane). On the sheet borders an ancient Chinese sailing ship, a compass, a loom, a fan, a red dragon are depicted. A QR-code is placed in the upper left corner.
The vessel on the vase is a western vessel from around 1600-1700, while the vessel in the margin is a Chinese junk.
More is given on this route by Wikipedia:

Source: Kyrgyzstan Post web-site.
Kyrgyzstan 2017 150K sgMS?, scott?

Galleons XVI

Galleon, full-rigged sailing ship that was built primarily for war, and which developed in the 15th and 16th centuries. The name derived from “galley,” which had come to be synonymous with “war vessel” and whose characteristic beaked prow the new ship retained. A high, square forecastle rose behind the bow, the three or four masts carried both square and fore-and-aft sails, and one or two tiers of guns were carried broadside. The largest galleons were built by the Spanish and the Portuguese for their profitable overseas trade; the famed “Manila galleons” of Spain made an annual trip between Acapulco, Mexico., and the Philippines, carrying silver west and raw silk east, for more than 250 years. On the sheetlet of Gabon depict galleons XVI:
600f- Elizabeth- see more details: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16223
880f;1150f-galleon- see more details: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11966.
1500f-Golden Hind- see more details: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9041
Gabonaise 2017;600f;880f;1150f;1500f;Ms.

Elizabeth Jonas-english galleon (1559)

The Elizabeth Jonas of 1559 was the first large English galleon, built in Woolwich Dockyard from 1557 and launched in July 1559. The vessel's keel was laid in 1557, for a ship of 800 tons burthen to replace Henry VIII's prestige warship, the Henry Grace à Dieu, which had been destroyed by fire in 1553. Originally intended to be named Edward after Edward VI of England, she was renamed when Elizabeth I came to the throne. She was a square-rigged galleon of four masts, including two lateen-rigged mizzenmasts. Elizabeth Jonas served effectively under the command of Sir Robert Southwellduring the battle of the Spanish Armada in 1588. In 1597-98 she was rebuilt as a razee galleon. In the early seventeenth century she was listed as one of the Navy's Ships Royal, denoting the largest and most prestigious vessels in the fleet. A 1618 commission of enquiry confirmed the designation, but found that years of inactivity had left her entirely unserviceable. Later that year she was broken up for scrap at Woolwich Dockyard.
Gabonaise 2017;600f.


Built in 1965-’66 by Vickers Ltd., Yard Walker, Newcastle, #183, launced 26-06-’65, completed 04-’66 for New Zealand Railways Department, Wellington, cost:$NZ 4 million.
Ro-ro passenger ship, Gt:4542, Nt:1542, Dw1110, Loa:112.20m. lbp:104.02m. B:18.62m. D:8.51m. Draft:4.78m. 6-16 cyl. English Electric diesels:10,590 bhp. (7790 kW.) driving 4 electric motors each 2250 shp. (1655kW.) 2 shafts, 17 kn. 2 thrusters forward, passengers:800, 30 railroad wagons, 70 vehicles, side door and stern door, crew:90, IMO.6517067, call sign HZJW.
Service between North and South Islands.
In ’77 rebuilt at Dunedin, passengers:950.
Laid up at Wellington in June’84 and sold 4 months later to the Najd Marine Agencies Panama, renamed ARANUI I, ’85 to Najd Trading & Construction Co. Jeddah, renamed NUI, she commenced service carrying Moslem pilgrims on the Red Sea.
In ’86 renamed NAJD III, 5 years later, following an engine failure, she laid up at Singapore, in ’92, her owners were unable to make progress payments for a repair, she arrived at Chittagong breakers H Steel on 03-11-’94.

(New Zealand 2018, $3.30, StG.?) in the background
Internet + LR88/89

Ship Stamps Collection

The full index of our ship stamp archive
  • Topics
    Last post

Return to Ship name index

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests

Forum permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum