Adventure HMS (Minelayer)

HMS Adventure, pennant number M23, was a minelaying cruiser of the Royal Navy built in the 1920s that saw service during the Second World War. Her commander between 1928 and 1929 was the future First Sea Lord John H. D. Cunningham.
Laid down at Devonport in November 1922 and launched in June 1924, Adventure was the first vessel built for service as a minelayer, she was also the first warship to use diesel engines, being used for cruising.
On entering the service she joined the Atlantic Fleet. From 1931-1932, she underwent a refit. During this refit she received a rounded stern in place of the original square one.
In the early months of the Second World War, she was damaged in the Thames Estuary and was repaired at Sheerness.
In 1940, she laid minefields in the Orkney Islands and St. George's Channel and in 1941 was damaged by a mine while off Liverpool.
In 1944, she was converted to a landing craft repair and accommodation ship; in 1945 was reduced to reserve; and in 1947 was sold to Thos W Ward. and broken up at Briton Ferry.
Adventure was adopted by the City of Plymouth.
Design
Adventure was built to replace the converted First World War veteran Princess Margaret, and her design was dictated by a requirement for a large mine capacity and a good cruising range. The mineload was to be carried completely internally, dictating a long, tall hull, and there were four sets of rails running the length of the hull to chutes at the stern. She was built with a transom, or flat, stern, to improve cruising efficiency, but the dead water caused by such a form meant that mines tended to be sucked back into the hull when they were launched; an obviously dangerous situation for a minelayer. As a result, she was rebuilt with a traditional cruiser, or rounded, stern, increasing the length by 19 ft (5.8 m).
Propulsion was by plant as installed in the C-class cruisers, but to increase cruising efficiency a novel diesel-electric plant was trialled, the propellers being driven by either set of machinery through gearboxes. The diesel-electric plant was removed by 1941, along with the small diesel exhaust that had been trunked up the second funnel. Adventure's high topweight resulting from the mineload carried high up in her hull meant that typical cruiser type armament could not be fitted. Instead, four QF 4.7 in (120 mm) guns on high-angle mounts were carried in 'A', 'Q', 'X' and 'Y' positions, in hindsight a more useful arrangement. The anti-aircraft armament was completed by a single octuple multiple pom-pom in 'B' position (not fitted until the late 1930s) and a pair of quadruple .5 in (13 mm) Vickers machine guns.
By 1941, she had been fitted with Radar Type 291 air warning at the masthead, Radar Type 285 on the high-angle HACS Director Control Tower on the foremast spotting top and Radar Type 272 centimetric target indication on the foremast, below the spotting top. By 1944, nine 20 mm Oerlikon guns had been added, two of which had replaced the useless Vickers machine guns. Adventure was converted to a repair ship for landing craft for the Normandy landings.
World War Two service
Mining on 13 November 1939
Adventure was badly damaged, most probably by a German magnetic mine in the Thames estuary at 05:26 on the morning of 13 November 1939. Twenty-three men were killed in this incident. She was sailing in company with Blanche and Basilisk. Blanche was also mined at 08:20 and sank at 09:50. One man was killed on Blanche.
Normandy Landings
During the Normandy landings in 1944 Adventure was deployed off Mulberry B as a support and repair vessel; she landed repair parties on 19 June for extensive salvage work on damaged landing craft.
Wikipedia

De Landre label

SZEGED

Hungary issued in 1950 a stamp of 1fo60 which depict a cargo vessel, which is given as the SZEGED, there is a cargo ship under that name under Hungarian flag built in 1936 and hulked in May 1961.
Comparing photo with stamp she is not depict, complete different vessel, the other SZEGED under Hungarian flag was built in 1962 after the stamp was issued.

Hungary 1950 1fo60 sg 1136, scott?

GISELA paddle steamer 1846

Navicula has identified this stamp as the paddle steamer GISELA built in 1846.
She was built for the DDSG.
1845 Launched as the NADOR.
Dim. 61.2 x 6.55 x 2.74m.(draught)
Powered by an Escher Wyss & Co, Zurich manufactured steam engine 650 hp.
Passengers 700 and 34 berths.
1846 Completed.

Used in the service between Budapest and Altofen.
1849 Received new boilers and in 1852 a new patent ruder.
1859 Renamed in GISELA.
1889 Engine modernized.
1918 Under Hungary flag and registry.
1920 Transferred to JRP and nder Yugoslavian flag and renamed PRINCESS JELENA.
1941 Out of service, fate unknown

Hungary 1972 1ft sg2719, scott?
Source: Navicula and internet.

CRAWFISH INDUSTRY TRISTAN DA CUNHA

The Crawfish, Crayfish or Tristan Rock Lobster (Jasus tristani) is found in abundance around the Tristan islands and has been exploited commercially since the first canning factory was built above the former Big Beach in 1949 before being destroyed by the 1961 volcanic eruption. A new factory, incorporating freezing technology, was built after the islanders returned in 1963 and has been the mainstay of the island's economy.
The Tristan island crawfishing season starts on 1st July, with 2 teams of 18 fishermen using 9 large power boats on alternate days when weather permits. Each boat contains two fishermen (the stamp shows four men) who drop traps with imported bait to the sea floor with brightly coloured buoys bobbing on the surface to be raised twice a day by a winch, hopefully containing crawfish or octopus which are a by-product landed and processed in the factory. There is a catch limit quota, for the Tristan-based powerboats and around the outlying islands of Nightingale, Inaccessible and Gough by the fishing ships. In recent years this limit has been achieved by Christmas with no commercial fishing in until the following August. The factory starts work processing early as two boats ferry catches during the day prior to boats finally coming home with the remainder of the catch by 4pm.

Tristan da Cunha 1970 4d/2’6 sg133/36, scott?
http://www.tristandc.com/economyfishing.php

MARY CELESTIA

Built in 1864 by William C. Miller, Toxteth, Liverpool for William G. Crenshaw & Co. (supply agents for the Confederacy)
Paddlewheel steamer, Gt:207, L:68.58m. B:6.70m Draft:3m. steam engine:140 hp. built by Fawcett, Preston & Co., Liverpool.

The 'Mary Celestia' is recorded as having made eight successful ‘runs’ though the exact count is uncertain. To confuse Federal agents on both sides of the Atlantic, she often used aliases including the Bijou, Marie Celeste and Mary Celeste. (Not to be confused with the mystery ship ‘Mary Celeste’, the abandoned brigantine later popularized by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.)
During her active career, the 'Mary Celestia' initially ran under the command of the “Boy Captain” Michael P. Usina, who would mak some twenty eight successful blockade runs but only four as Captain of the 'Mary Celestia'. Mary Celestia’s first run was out of St. Georges, via Nassau to Wilmington, the last open port of the Confederacy. On the return voyage she was spotted shortly after evading the blockade. Poor visibility and a driving rain prevented the crew seeing their pursuer until it was bearing down upon them. The seas were rough and the 'Mary Celestia' was heavily laden with cotton but as the larger ship came within easy gun distance. Captain Usina urged Engineer Sassard to take extreme measures to get more revolutions out of the engines and ordered forty five bales thrown overboard to enable his vessel ride the heavy waves more easily. While their adversary sought to avoid the loose floating cotton, below deck, Engineer Sassard locked both safety valves shut and continued to increase steam until the ship was making 17 knots against a head-on swell. Fortunately, the solid English boilers did not let them down and the ship made good her escape. After three more Bermuda-Wilmington runs, Captain Usina and his engineer Sassard moved on to other ships.

On a further occasion, as a yellow fever epidemic ravaged the entire crew, the ship’s North Carolina pilot, a man who knew the landmarks by which to safely navigate the hazardous approaches to Wilmington, also struck by the fever, stayed at his post as the runner raced past the blockaders. Evading no less than seven blockading vessels he finally brought 'Mary Celestia' safely into North Carolina’s Cape Fear River, where he collapsed and died.

The 'Mary Celestia' was one six, almost identical paddle-steamers, out of the hundreds of steam ships built to run the blockade. William and James Crenshaw, two brothers from Richmond, Virginia, commissioned the ship to serve their business interests in Great Britain and its colonies, including Bermuda. They depended on regular maritime trade, running the blockade with a variety of goods and returning to Bermuda with cotton. Mary Celestia’s brief career was dramatic from beginning to end..On her final voyage, the 'Mary Celestia' steamed out of Hamilton, Bermuda, with owner William Crenshaw and Bermuda pilot John Virgin onboard. Loaded with a Confederate government contracted shipment of canned meat, ammunition, side-arms and Enfield rifles bound for Wilmington, she navigated along the southern shore of the island to drop off the owner and pilot near the Gibb’s Point Lighthouse. On September 6th 1864 as the ship closed into shore, the chief mate warned he could see rocks ahead. The pilot who was at this time in control, replied that he knew the reefs and rocks as well as he knew his own home. No sooner had he finished speaking than the 'Mary Celestia' struck a reef. Several minutes later, as all on board scrambled into lifeboats, the steamer sank taking with it the only victim, the ship’s cook, who ran below to save something of value and become trapped. When she sank, the 'Mary Celestia' had been in service for only four months.

Today, all that remains is a ghostly upright paddlewheel frame standing sentinel over wreckage that includes a huge iron boiler and fire box, the remains of the ship’s engine, the anchor and bits and pieces of the hull and stern.

(Bermuda 1986 60 c. StG.517A)
Internet.

El ALMIRANTE

In 1976 the Philippines issued two stamps which shows us a Spanish Manila galleon and a image of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Lady_ ... ood_Voyage which arrived from Mexico on board the Spanish galleon El ALMIRANTE in 1626.

I could not find an El ALMIRANTE in the Spanish galleons sailing between Mexico and Manila, but at that time the Almirante was mostly the flagship of the fleet.
The galleons sailing between Acapulco, Mexico and Manila in 1626 were https://sites.google.com/site/manilagal ... rough-1650
25 March 1626 four ships sailed from Acapulco which are given on that website as probably SAN IGNACIO, SAN JACINTO and possibly the SAN RAYMUNDO and the SAN LUIS, with on board the New Governor of the Philippines Don Juan Nino de Tabora which took with him the statue of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage. Which ship the Governor carried is not given.
27 June 1626 the ships arrived at Manila. I do not have more info on the ships.

Philippines 1976 30/90s sg?, scott1303/04.

VINTA

The VINTA depict on many stamps of the Philippines is a very fast double-outrigged canoe of the Samal, Tausug and Bajau peoples of the Sula Sea.
General utility boat for trading, pearling, transportation and not infrequently, for smuggling; now used mostly for fishing. Some Bajau live on their boats. Vary slightly from island to island, but basically a dugout hull; flat bottom hard chines, some with a shaped keel; rocker towards the end. Straight sides; may be raised by washstrakes attached with vertical wooden dowels.
Characteristic bifid bow and stern, the upper bow piece turning up in a single flat board, the more elaborate stern in 2 pieces, strengthened with transverse struts. Sides may be raised by washstrakes. Interior divided into several sections, the central part covered with portable, split-bamboo decking; larger boats may have a temporary house of nipa palm matting over bamboo poles.
Usually elaborately carved. Steered with a paddle. Two to four booms curve down to connect directly with 2 long bamboo floats. The outer booms pass beneath the gunwales and are braced at the hull end by light bowed support that crosses above the gunwale; at each end of the bowed support, a crutch serves to hold mast, spars, etc. Inner booms may be in 2 pieces. Floats extend forward of the bow and are set so that they are closer to the hull at the stern. May have a cylinder at forward end that curves up to ride over the waves.
Tripod or bipod mast, stepped well forward, support a square or oblong sail hung lugsail-fashion. Boom at foot lashed to foreleg of the tripod mast. Sail frequently sewn in cloths of different colour, creating individual patterns; often have tassels on ends of the sail. Now manly used a spritsail to a bamboo mast; sail laced permanently to mast and boom. Some small canoes use a triangular sail. Also paddled, worked with one foot and one hand.
Reported lengths 6 – 13.7m e,g. length 7.4m, beam ca 0.7m, depth ca. 0,66m.

Copied from: Aak to Zumbra a Dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.

Philippine 1941 566/69 8c/1p scott? 1951 sg563/65, scott?, (Zamboang city coat of arms). 1955 sg 774/76, scott?. 1960 6c/25c sg848/49, scott? 1971 10s sg1196, scott?, 1978 5p, 7.50p sg146 and sgMS1462, scott? 1980 30s/2p.30 sg 1606/07, scott? 1989 6p25 sg2156, scott? 1993 8p sg 2586. Scott? 1998 15p sg3077, scott?
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Ship Stamps Collection

The full index of our ship stamp archive
  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
Previous

Return to Ship name index

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anatol, aukepalmhof, Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 87 guests

Forum permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum