BREMEN or EUROPA

Cuba issued in 1990 a set of stamps for the Dia de la Cosmonautica of which the 2c shows us a passenger ship a rocket and an airmail letter.
When passenger ship owners in the early thirties trying finding quicker ways to deliver the mail, the idea came up to launch a plane from a catapult fitted on the vessel, the German cargo vessel SCHWABENLAND was the first vessel fitted out as so. More is given on: http://www.nnapprentice.com/alumni/lett ... ia_Sea.pdf

The vessel depict on the stamp is one of the first vessels fitted out this way but she is not the cargo vessel SCHWABENLAND, the other four passenger ships were the LEVIATHAN, ILE DE FRANCE, BREMEN and EUROPA . The first two have a complete different profile, BREMEN see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=8467&p=8806#p8806 and EUROPA see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7738 one of the last two is depict on the stamp, which is depict is not clear she were sisterships.

Cuba 1990 2c sg 3517, scott 3208.

NEW ZEALAND PORTS

The 150th celebrations of three cities and a famous small town coincided with the sesquicentennial year of New Zealand. The four subjects of these stamps could hardly offer greater contrast in terms of size and life styles.

At one end of the scale is Auckland, easily New Zealand's largest population centre. One in three New Zealanders lives in the Auckland province, the northern third of the North Island.
Akaroa, at the other extreme, is a tiny South Island settlement with a permanent population of fewer than 1,000. It nestles on the eastern shore of Akaroa Harbour on Banks Peninsula.
In between Auckland and Akaroa, in location, population and way of life, are Wanganui and Wellington, both in the southern North Island. Wanganui is a country centre, serving a stable rural area. Wellington is distinctive as the nation's capital and clings to the steep hills ringing a magnificent harbour.
A fact of history is what brings Auckland, Akaroa, Wanganui and Wellington together in this issue. All four date their European founding to 1840, the year of the Treaty of Waitangi and the year that systematic immigration began. They were among the first locations settled by Europeans and hence New Zealand Post issued the 1990 Scenic Issue with these places in mind.
By late 1840, officials, traders and workmen had flocked to the site of Auckland to help build the town, and in 1842 the first immigrant ships from Britain arrived. Many ethnic groups settled in Auckland. English, Danes, Yugoslavs, Dutch and, in a second migratory wave, the Polynesians from the islands of the Pacific. Each added their own cultures. Today it could be regarded as the most cosmopolitan city in New Zealand boasting the country's largest city and home to over one quarter of the entire country's population.

Miniature Sheet - $2.30
This sheet was issued in support of the 'New Zealand 1990' World Stamp Exhibition and incorporated the $1.80 'Auckland' stamp.
A surcharge of 50 cents for each sheet sold will be passed on to the Executuve Committe "New Zealand 1990" in support of their World Philatelic exhibition to be held in Auckland in 1990
In the background of the sheet design is Rangitoto Island the most noble of the series of extinct volcanoes surrounding Auckland. It stands on guard over the harbour entrance. Auckland is essentially an aquatic playground with everything from wild ocean surfing beaches to tranquil inner harbour coves. The hundreds of yachts constantly on the water give the Queen City its name - City of Sails.

$0.80c Akaroa: Captain Jean Langlois, a French whaler from Havre, first ailed into Akaroa Harbour in 1838. He was most favourably impressed with what he saw and began negotiations with the Maori to purchase a portion of the peninsula. This was the beginning of the French attempt to establish a colony in the area, only to discover that British sovereignty had been declared over the whole of the South Island

$1 Wanganui: the early days, the fertile banks of the Wanganui river supported many Maori who were living in fortified pa and villages. One of the first Europeans to visit the area, John Rowe, was a whaler and dealer in preserved Maori heads. His visit in 1831 resulted in the loss of his own head - which was later dried and offered for sale.

$.1.50 Wellington: In January 1840, the New Zealand Company's ship CUBA sailed into Wellington Harbour, followed shortly after by AURORA carrying the first settlers. Then came the ORIENTAL and the ROXBURGH and, 340 more ships were to arrive in the next three years. The Maori were astonished at the numbers of new arrivals, wondering if the whole population of England was being transported.

$1.80 AUCKLAND: On the isthmus between the Waitemata and Manukau Harbours lies Auckland. In earlier times Auckland was the site of a heavily fortified pa, kumara fields, and numerous small Maori villages. The site of the present day city was bought from the Ngati Whatua tribe by Captain William Hobson, Lieutenant-Governor of New Zealand, who designated it as a single administrative area and later the country's capital.

Watercraft Philately has identified the two yachts on the $1.80 and miniature sheet as the HOBBIE 16 catamaran viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16140 and LASER sailing dinghy viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11033 .

https://stamps.nzpost.co.nz/new-zealand/1990/scenic
New Zealand 1990 80c /$1.80 sg1554/57, scott 993/996, sgMS?, scott996a

SANTA MARIA replica Columbus ship

Guyana issued in 1989 a set of stamps and miniature sheets for the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona, the $2.55 shows in the margin of the miniature sheet the replica of Columbus ship the SANTA MARIA moored at Atarazanas in Barcelona

When in America the film “Christopher Columbus” was made in 1949, which by General Franco regime was declared an insult to the Spanish people the regime decided to make their own film “Alba de América” and a replica of the SANTA MARIA was built in 1951, where I could not find. It was quite a good replica, I have been on board when we were loading in Barcelona. Only one small cabin for Columbus on the after ship, the rest of the crew had to sleep on deck or in the hold. Little is definitively known about the actual dimensions of SANTA MARIA since no documentation or illustration has survived from that era. Of the replica I have not tonnage or dim.
After the film was made two more films were made before the SANTA MARIA was moored in the port of Barcelona, when you walked from the main street the Rambla in Barcelona she was moored at the end. She was open to the public.
She was moored there till May 1990 when she suffered two fires which caused heavy damage, the fires were lighted by Terra Lider militants, who saw the ship as a Spanish symbol.
At that time the owner of the SANTA MARIA was Diputacio de Barcelona and they decided that the high repair cost was not justified. She was towed outside the port and was sunk in 30 meter of water opposite of the Calella Lighthouse.

Guyana 1989 $2.55 sgMS?, scott?
Sources: Various web-sites.

HMS Worcester (1769)

HMS Worcester is a 64-gun battleship of the 3rd rank of the Royal Navy. The fourth ship, named after the city of Worcester. Ordered November 16, 1765. Launched on October 17, 1769 at the Royal Shipyard in Portsmouth. The head ship of the same type. 1776 - Captain Mark Robinson (English Mark Robinson). On December 3 he left with an escort to the East Indies. Acting fourth lieutenant was the protégé of the captain, Horatio Nelson. 1777 - April, with the return convoy returned to England. Participated in the American Revolutionary War. 1778 - was in the fleet of Admiral Keppel in the battle on July 27 with the French fleet of Count d'Orvilliers near the island of Uessan. 1779 - Captain George Talbot (born George Talbot). March 7 left for the East Indies from St. Helens, with a squadron of Rear Admiral Sir Edward Hughes. 1782 - on February 17, participated in the battle with Suffren's squadron under Sadras; April 12th at Providence. At the end of the year - Captain Charles Wood (English Charles Wood). On September 3 at Trincomalee, HMS Worcester, being the last in Hughes squadron, was attacked by Vengeur (64) and Consolante (36) from Suffren's squadron, but Captain John Alms at HMS Monmouth (64) was delayed and came to him help. The French withdrew when the Vengeur mizzen-masturbate caught on fire. In the ensuing battle, Captain Wood was killed. 1783 - Captain Charles Hughes (English Charles Hughes). June 20 was in battle with the French at Cuddalore. The news of the conclusion of peace, signed on January 20, reached Cuddalore only on June 29. 1788 - floating warehouse in Deptford. Disbanded there in December 1816. HMS “Worcester” is depicted in margin of miniature sheet.
Guine Bissau2011;(1000x3) fc.fa.Ms.
Source: https://wiki2.org/ru/HMS_Worcester_(1769)

BARCA

“Barca” used by Portugal during the Portuguese explorer voyages in the 15th century as shown on the 32e stamp was a 2 or 3 masted vessel, often used as a reconnaissance vessel accompanying Portuguese explorers. Small square foresail and a square mainsail as seen on stamp on the two masted barca’s. She was sometimes rowed.

The 16e stamp shows is a small open barca used on the upper Rio Lima in north-western Portugal and used for local fishing and ferrying. Flat bottom, straight raked stem, wide transom. Straight sides, flared towards the stern. Rowed with a single pair of oars.
Length ca 6m.

Source: Aak to Zumbra a dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.
Portugal 1981 16e sg 1827, scott 1491. 1990 32e sg 2202, scott 1815.

MERCUUR pilot training vessel

For the 60th Anniversary of Madurodam the Netherlands has issued in 2012 a miniature sheet of which three stamps shows ships. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12956&p=14190&hilit=zanen#p14190
Tugdoc has identified the black hulled ship underway on the Netherland Nieuwe Waterweg stamp behind the two moored red hulled vessels as the Dutch pilot training vessel MERCUUR.
She was built as a buoy/lighthouse maintenance vessel under yard No 738 by E.J. Smit & Zn., Westerbroek, Netherlands for it Rijksloodwezen (State pilotage) at Vlissingen (Flushing)’
22 October 1955 laid down.
22 October 1955 launched as the FRANS NAEREBOUT named after a famous pilot in Vlissingen (1748 – 1818).
Tonnage 242 gross, 72 nrt 432 dwt, dim. 40.50 x 7.95 x 3.70m. 2.65m draught, length bpp. 38.11
Powered by one 8-cyl. Bolnes diesel engine, 400 hp., speed 10.5 knots.(if it the engine is the engine placed by building or refit I am not sure.)
29 August 1956 completed, based at Vlissingen.

1988 Sold to G, Boon Survey Charter, Den Helder, Netherland, not renamed.
1995 Sold to Kees Lont & Son and rebuilt in a game fishing vessel for the Nord Sea and a new diesel engine installed.
1996 Sold to J.P. Bakker in Den Oever, Netherland, not renamed.
2001 Sold to Sportvisserij Paraat in Den Oever, not renamed.
2003 Sold to Andre Loonstra in Hippolytushoef, Netherland, renamed MERCUUR.
So far I can find out is she used between the game voyages also as a pilot training vessel by the Dutch pilot service in the Netherlands till today.
2018 Same owner and name, IMO No 8432974.

Source Wikipedia. http://www.debinnenvaart.nl/schip_detail/8100/
Netherland 2012 first rate mail, sg?, scott?

MOLICEIRO

MOLICEIRO: Is a boat in use on the lagoon of Aveiro that works from the late July to late March collecting seaweed (moliço) to be used for fertilizer; occasionally transports merchandise and livestock.
Carvel planked of white pine with pine-root ribs. 19-24 bottom and side frames. Sharp ends; bottom flat for about three-quarters of its length, then rise in a long, low rake. No keel; strongly flared sides, considerable sheer and very low freeboard amidships; wide gunwales. Portable bulwarks raise sides as the seaweed is collected. Characterized by a sharply recurved stem joined by the sheer strake.; hinged upper portion permits lowering while passing under low bridges; sterpost curved. Large tall strongly curved rudder attached with pintles; tiller fitted athwartships on rudderhead; rope from one end carries forward, reeves through the stem and runs back to the tiller. May use a leeboard looped to the mast; 3 of different widths carried. Cuddy forward storage locker beneath seat at the stern.
Bow and stern patches generally elaborately painted, usually in traditional designs; red stemhead, hull ochre with black gunwale initially, the hull entirely black.
May be sailed rowed, poled or towed. Slender, un-stayed mast stepped through a thwart roughly amidships; occasionally a 2nd smaller mast is braces against the forecastle. Sets a lugsail; luff extended by two bowlines with bridles leading to the stemhead.
Crew of 2 – 3. Approximate size range; length 9.3m, beam 1.35m, depth 0.42m., she has a shallow draft.
Nowadays not more used only as a tourist attraction.

Source: Aak to Zumbra a dictionary of the world’s watercraft.
Portugal 1981 10e sg 1826.scott 1490.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Post your stamps here

If you have a stamp you would like to share with us, please post it in here
  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
PreviousNext

Return to Ship name index

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

Forum permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum