NAVAL VESSELS OF SOUTH AFRICA 1982

On 2 April 1982 South Africa issued four stamps and one Miniature Sheet to commemorate the 25th anniversary of the Simonstown Naval Dockyard under the control of South Africa. The stamps depict four types of vessel at that time in service in the South African Navy.
The Dockyard located near Cape Point was under control of the Royal Navy from 1910 until turned over to South Africa on 2 April 1957.
Submarine Daphne class
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14094&p=15828&hilit=maria+van+riebeeck#p15828
Minister class fast attack craft:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15451
Ton class minesweeper:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15450
Namacurra harbour and inshore patrol vessels:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=15446

South Africa 1982 sgMS?, scott?

MINISTER CLASS FAST ATTACK CRAFT (Reshef)

The South African Minister class of which 9 were built was ordered in late 1974 she are a modified form of the Saar IV Reshef class fast attack craft of the Israeli Navy. Three were built by the Haifa Shipyard the others by Sandock-Austral in Durban.
Displacement 430 tons, dim. 62.2 x 7.8 x 2.4m. (draught).
Powered by 4 Maybach MTU 16V 965 TB91 diesel engines, 15,000 hp., four shafts, speed 32 knots.
Range by a speed of 30 knots, 1,500 mile.
Armament: 6 single container launchers for 6 x Skorpioen anti-missiles, 2 - 76mm L/62 DP in OTO Melara Compact single mountings and 2 – 0.5 inch MG.
Crew 7 officers and 40 enlisted men.
Delivered in the 1970s/80s.

The Warrior-class strike craft (formerly designated Minister class) in service with the South African Navy are modified Sa'ar IV (Reshef class) fast attack craft. In 1974, a contract was signed with Israeli Military Industries for the construction of three of the modified Reshef class vessels at the Haifa facility of Israeli Shipyards. A further three were built immediately after at the Sandock Austral shipyard in Durban, South Africa, with three more being built at the same facility several years later. The imposition of the international embargo on the sale of arms to South Africa on 4 November 1977 forced the project to be carried out under a cloak of security. The South African variants were fitted with Gabriel missiles, known in South Africa as 'Scorpion' missiles, and had two Oto Melara 76 mm guns instead of a single one with a Phalanx CIWS.
As of July 2014 three remain in commission. They have had their missiles and rear 76 mm guns removed and reassigned to the offshore patrol role until the acquisition of new off-shore patrol vessels under Project Biro. As of late 2013 it appears that the SAN plan on operating 4 of these vessels for another 5 years, the SAS ADAM KOK was the last one to undergo the conversion in a OVP
2016 The four are still in service in the SAS after a refit in Durban in an offshore patrol vessel.

South Africa 1982 15c sg507. Scott561.
Source: Small Craft Navies by Christopher Chant. Wikipedia.

TON CLASS MINESWEEPER

The stamp shows us a minesweeper of the British Ton class of which ten were serving in the South African Navy and purchased between 1955 – 1959.
The Ton class was built on different U.K. yards altogether there were 119 completed. Which is depict on the stamp is not clear.
Built with a mahogany wooden hull.
Displacement 447 ton, dim. 46 x 8.5 x 2.4m. (draught)
Powered, originally with Mirrlees diesels, later Napier Deltic diesels, 3,000 shp each, twin shafts, speed 15 knots. Range by a speed of 13 knots, 2,300 mile.
Armament: 1 Bofors 40mm, 1 Oerlikon 20mm cannon.
Crew 29.

The Ton class were coastal minesweepers built in the 1950s for the Royal Navy, but also used by other navies such as the South African Navy and the Royal Australian Navy. They were intended to meet the threat of seabed mines laid in shallow coastal waters, rivers, ports and harbours, a task for which the existing ocean-going minesweepers of the Algerine-class were not suited.
Description
The design of the class was led by the shipyard John I. Thornycroft & Company, and drew on lessons learnt in the Korean War, and numbered 119 vessels. They were diesel powered vessels of 440 tons displacement fully laden, constructed of wood and other non-ferromagnetic materials. Their small displacement and shallow draft gave them some protection against pressure and contact mines, and allowed them to navigate in shallow inshore waters. Primary armament was one Bofors 40 mm gun, although the South African variants also had an Oerlikon 20 mm cannon behind the funnel. RN vessels also had the same but they were gradually removed and an M2 Browning machine gun mounted midships. Sweeping equipment was provided for moored mines and magnetic mines.

So far I can find out all the Ton class serving in the South Africa Navy have been scrapped or the fate is unknown, only two are still around the HMS PACKINGTON which served in the South African Navy as SAS WALVISBAAI and which was converted in a charter yacht under Panama flag and registry based in Dubai, renamed in MOJO. See: http://www.superyachttimes.com/yacht/56 ... 7a06/mojo/

The DUNKERTON served in the SAS as PRETORIA and is now sailing under the South African flag and registry as the diving support ship MADIBA IMO NO 8954843. See: http://samilitaryhistory.org/4/04marnl.html
South Africa 1982 20c sg508, scott562. SG gives the SAS DURBAN is depict.
Source: Various internet sites and Wikipedia.

NAMACURRA class harbour and inshore patrol boat.

The harbour and inshore patrol boat of the South Africa Navy is one of the NAMACURRA class of which many were built by Sandock-Austral in Durban.
Displacement 4 ton normal, 5.2 ton maximum. Dim. 9.5 x 2.5m.
Powered by two Yamaha outboard engines, 380 hp, speed 32 knots.
Range by a speed of 20 knots, 180 mile.
Armament: 1 – 12.7mm Browning MG and 2 – 7.62mm LMG, while the crew carry 12gg shotgun and R4 rifles.
Crew 5.

The Namacurra class patrol boats are a class of patrol boat currently in service with South Africa, Namibia, Malawi and Mozambique.
Introduction into service
Built in South Africa in 1980-81 these boats can also be transported by road. One was transferred to Malawi in October 1988, two to Namibia in 2002 and two to Mozambique in September 2004.
Operations
These boats are in use with the harbour patrol forces in Cape Town, Port Elizabeth and Durban. There are also used by the Operational Boat Squadron, until new boats can be procured. Several have been built and transferred to allied navies in the region.
Crewing
The boats have an optimal crew of four and a maximum of five.
2016 In service.

South Africa 1982 25c sg 509 , scott563 and sgMS?, scott?
Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Namacurra ... atrol_boat http://www.navy.mil.za/equipment/patrol.htm.

YAMASHIRO IJN

Built by Yokosuka Naval Arsenal, laid down 20-11-1913, launched 03-11-1915, commissioned 31-03-1917.
Fusō-class battleship, displacement:29,326 long tons (29,797 t) (standard) 35,900 long tons (36,500 t) (full load)
Length:192.024 meters (630') (p.p.) 202.7 meters (665') (o.a.) Beam:28.7 meters (94' 2") Draft:8.7 meters (28' 7")
40,000 shp (30,000 kW) 24 × Miyahara water-tube boilers,4 × shafts, 2 × Brown-Curtis steam turbine sets, 22.5 kn.
Range:8,000 nm/14 kn. complement:1193
Armament:6 × 2 - 356 mm (14") guns, 16 × 1 - 152 mm (6") guns, 6 × submerged 533 mm (21) torpedo tubes".
Armor: Belt: 305 mm (12") Deck: 32–51 mm (1.3–2.0") Bulkheads: 102–305 mm (4.0–12.0") Barbettes: 203–305 mm (8.0–12.0") Turrets: 228.6 to 279 mm (9.0 to 11.0 ") Conning Tower: 351 mm (13.8")

In 1944 displacement:34,700 long tons (35,300 t) Length:212.75 m (698.0') (o.a.) Beam:33.1 m (108' 7") Draft:9.69 meters (31' 9")
Installed power: 75,000 shp (56,000 kW) 6 × water-tube boilers, 4 × steam turbines
24.5 kn. Range: 11,800 nm/16 kn. Complement: approximately 1900
Sensors and processing systems: 1 × Type 21 air search radar, 1 × Type 13 early warning radar, 1 × Type 22 surface search radar
Armament:6 × 2 - 356 mm guns, 14 × 1 - 152 mm guns, 4 × 2 - 127 mm (5") dual-purpose guns, 92 × 25 mm (1") AA guns.
Armor:Deck: 152–51 mm (6–2") Aircraft carried: 3 × floatplanes, Aviation facilities:1 × catapult.

Yamashiro (山城, "Mountain castle", named for Yamashiro Province?) was the second of two Fusō-class dreadnought battleships built for the Imperial Japanese Navy. Launched in 1915 and commissioned in 1917, she initially patrolled off the coast of China, playing no part in World War I. In 1923, she assisted survivors of the Great Kantō earthquake.

Yamashiro was modernized between 1930 and 1935, with improvements to her armor and machinery and a rebuilt superstructure in the pagoda mast style. Nevertheless, with only 14" guns, she was outclassed by other Japanese battleships at the beginning of World War II, and played auxiliary roles for most of the war.

By 1944, though, she was forced into front-line duty, serving as the flagship of Vice-Admiral Shōji Nishimura's Southern Force at the Battle of Surigao Strait, the southernmost action of the Battle of Leyte Gulf. During fierce night fighting in the early hours of 25 October against a superior American force, Yamashiro was sunk by torpedoes and naval gunfire. Nishimura went down with his ship, and only 10 crewmembers survived.

(Puntland State of Somalia 2011, 5000 a. StG.?)
Internet.

WINSLOW USS DD-359

Built by New York Shipbuilding Corp., Camden, New Jersey, laid down 18-12-1933, launched 21-09-1937, commissioned 17-02-1937.
'Porter' class destroyer, displacement:1850/2597 tons, L:116,13m. (381') B:11,02m. (36'2") Draft:5,03m. (16' 6") 2 turbines:50.000 hp. 2 shafts, 35 kn. complement:238, armament as built:8 × 5"(127 mm)/38cal SP (4x2) 8 × 21"(533 mm) T Tubes (2x4) 8 × 1.1" (28 mm) AA (2x4) 2 × 0.50-cal. (12.7 mm) MG, 2 Depth Charge stern racks.
c1944:1 × Mk33 Gun Fire Control System, 8 × 5"(127 mm)/38cal SP (4x2), 8 × 21"(533 mm) T Tubes (2x4) 4 × Bofors 40mm AA (2x2) 4 × Oerlikon 20mm AA (4x1) 2 × Depth Charge stern racks.

The warship completed outfitting in October and, on the 19th, embarked upon a shakedown cruise which took her to a number of European ports. Upon her return to the western hemisphere, she passed her final acceptance trials off the coast of Maine and was assigned to Battle Force, Destroyers, in the Pacific. Early in 1938, she transited the Panama Canal and joined Destroyer Squadron 9 at San Diego, California. Over the next three years, Winslow conducted operations in the eastern Pacific—generally between Hawaii and the west coast—from her home port at San Diego.

By 1941, events in Europe—where World War II was already in its second year—necessitated the strengthening of American naval forces in the Atlantic. Accordingly, Winslow retransited the canal in April and, after visiting Guantanamo Bay in Cuba, reported for duty at Norfolk, Virginia. That summer, she conducted training operations with submarines off the New England coast. Later, she also participated in Neutrality patrols, particularly those directed at keeping watch over the Vichy French ships at Martinique and Guadeloupe in the French Antilles. Early in August, Winslow joined Tuscaloosa (CA-37) in escorting Augusta (CA-31) as that heavy cruiser carried President Franklin D. Roosevelt to NS Argentia, Newfoundland, to meet British Prime Minister Winston Churchill in the conference which resulted in the Atlantic Charter. Then, after escorting transports carrying reinforcements to Iceland, the destroyer arrived in Halifax, Nova Scotia, early in November and became a unit in the screen of America's first convoy to the Orient. Convoy WS-12X, bound via the Cape of Good Hope for Singapore, departed Halifax on 10 November. Just before the convoy reached Cape Town, South Africa, where the destroyers were to part company with the convoy and head for home, word arrived that the Japanese had attacked Pearl Harbor.

1942-1943
After leaving the convoy at Cape Town, Winslow returned to the United States where she was assigned to Vice Admiral Jonas H. Ingrain's 4th Fleet, which had grown out of the South Atlantic neutrality patrols. The warship patrolled the area between Brazil and Africa, searching for German submarines and blockade runners until April 1944. On two occasions during that period, she returned briefly to the United States—in June 1942 and in October 1943—to undergo repairs at Charleston, South Carolina.

1944-1945
In April 1944, the warship began escorting newly constructed warships from Boston, Massachusetts via Norfolk, to the West Indies. After three such voyages, she began escorting convoys from New York to England and Ireland in August. She made five round-trip voyages across the Atlantic before putting into Charleston again in March 1945 for a four-month overhaul.

While in Charleston for alterations, she lost her torpedo tubes, traded her light, single-purpose, 5" guns for five dual-purpose 5" guns. In addition, she received 16-40-millimeter and 4-20-millimeter antiaircraft guns in preparation for services in the Pacific.

However, by the end of her refresher training out of Casco Bay, Maine, hostilities had ceased. Accordingly, Winslow received orders to begin experimental work testing antiaircraft ordnance. On 17 September 1945, the ship was redesignated AG-127.

She continued her experimental work with the Operational Development Force until she was decommissioned on 28 June 1950. Winslow remained in reserve, berthed with the Charleston Group, Atlantic Reserve Fleet, until declared unfit for further naval service on 5 December 1957. Her name was struck from the Navy list on that same day, and she was sold on 23 February 1959 for scrapping.

(Somaliland 2011, 2500 a. StG.?)
Internet.

VÄINÄMÖINEN (Finland)

Built by AB Crichton-Vulcan, Turku for the Finnish Navy, laid down 08-1929, launched 29-04-1932, commissioned 28-12-1932.
Coastal defence ship, displacement:3900 tons, L:93m. B:16,86m. Draft:5m. 4 Krupp-Germania diesels:6000 hp. 2 Leonard electric engines:4800 hp. 2 shafts, 15 kn. range:700 nm/10 kn. crew:330, armament:2× 2×254 mm. (10") Bofors, 4× 2×105 mm. (4.1") Bofors, 4× 40 mm. Vickers, 2–8× 20 mm. Madsens.
Sistership ILMARINEN.

After the end of the Continuation War Väinämöinen was handed over as war reparations to the Soviet Union. The ship was handed over on 29 May 1947 to the Soviet Baltic Fleet, where she was renamed Vyborg. The ship served over 6 years in the Red Fleet at the Soviet base in Porkkala, Finland. The ship was called Vanya (a Russian short form of the name Ivan) by the sailors of the Baltic Fleet.

Vyborg was modernized during the 1950s and served for a while as an accommodation ship in Tallinn. Preparations to scrap the ship were begun in 1958. During this time, there were talks to return the ship to Finland. The ship was, however, scrapped in 1966 at a Leningrad scrapyard. According to Soviet calculations, 2,700 tons of metal were recovered.

(Somaliland 2011, 1500 a. StG.?) VYAYNEMYAYNEN wrong name on the stamp
Internet.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Post your stamps here

If you have a stamp you would like to share with us, please post it in here
  • Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
Previous

Return to Ship name index

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests

Forum permissions

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum