SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

SANTA ROSA lake steamer 1903

The vessel depict on this stamp is given by Watercraft Philately as the SANTA ROSA on Lake Llanquihue, Chile.

In the year 1902 a group of people from Puerto Varas, Chile formed a partnership with the purpose of building a steamship to be used for service on Lake Llanquihue. The company was founded on 11 September 1902, which traded under the corporate name of "Sociedad Klenner, Niklitscheck and Company"; its initial capital was $ 50,000 and it consisted of 65 members. The new steamship, which was given the name of "SANTA ROSA was built by the firm Behrens, at Valdivia, and being the first steamship which was built entirely of iron on the lake. Its dimensions were 28 meters in length with a capacity of 80 tons; Fitted out with two masts, yards and sails which on her first voyages were used to increase her speed, later the sails were removed, because they were constantly exposed to the sparks coming from the funnel of the boilers that were fed with firewood, her capacity was 80 passengers The SANTA ROSA when completed was moved unrigged from Valdivia to Puerto Montt by sea. The transport overland from this city to the lake was not easy, because the road was narrow and in many parts with steep slopes that only with good oxen it was possible to overcome the transport problems.
It took several days for the transport over the road to reach finally her destination, in Puerto Chico, where she was rerigged and fitted out.
On 13 December1903, the SANTA ROSA was able to make her maiden voyage between Puerto Varas and Puerto Octay. It was a very scenic trip using steam engines and sails. In the middle of the journey, the ship suffered engine failure of a vital part of the machine, and was towed to port for repair.
The SANTA ROSA had several owners in a few years. The company was modified; some partners withdrew and others joined. The new company, which revolved with the name "José Matzner and others", was constituted in the month of November 1910. It keeps this name for three years.
January 1914 the company was acquired by Mr. Cristino Haase. The two wharves and warehouses that the company owned in Puerto Varas and Puerto Octay were also transferred with the steamship.
In 1915, Mr. Haase sold the SANTA ROSA to Mr. Augusto Minte and the value of the transaction amounted to $ 40,000, including some spare parts such as the propeller and others.
In September of the year 1918 it was acquired by Mr. Carlos Heim, after which the SANTA ROSA sailed without interruption until 1938 the year in which she underwent repairs and general modernizations. The machines were removed for a complete overhaul. The SANTA ROSA was lengthened to 36 meters. It was also modernized with accommodations for 150 passengers and adapted mainly for the service of tourists in comfortable and luxurious cabins. Also it was fitted out for the transport of all sorts of cargo in large holds.
Among his illustrious passengers, the Argentine Cardinal, Monsignor José L. Coppelo, is remembered. This representative of the Holy See, in his capacity as "papal delegate", on Sunday 02 November 1941, embarked in Ensenada to Puerto Varas accompanied by a select delegation.
From Buenos Aires, via San Carlos de Bariloche, he went to Santiago, to participate in the Eucharistic Congress of that year.
The "Santa Rosa" sailed until 1945, when she was sold; it was intended to unrig her and move it to Puerto Montt to put it in service between Puerto Montt and Puerto Aysen.
Out of service she remained half unrigged in Puerto Varas until a strong storm threw her on the beach where her last remains were abandoned.

Source: http://www.laensenada.cl/page15.html
Chile 1938 1.80p sg 275, scott206.

Sailing ships in the painting of Christoph Blossom

In 2010 Somalia issued a small sheet dedicated to the marine paintings of the artist Christopher Blossom.
Christopher Blossom
When a child has a father and grandfather who are both well known illustrators, it is likely the offspring will also become an artist. And when a boy starts to sail at the age of six, it is also likely that the artist might choose the sea and sailing ships as his subject. Such was the case for Christopher Blossom, who, by the time he left the Parsons School of Design and Robert Bourke’s Design Studio, could visualize a finished boat from only its plans—and draw the craft from any angle. Before Blossom was twenty, he had sailed under square rig aboard the brigantine Young America. Known for his complex, detailed compositions of ships at sea, Blossom combines his appreciation for the beauty and the menace of the sea with his love of maritime history and ship construction. Before Blossom paints a vessel, he is likely to study the ship’s blueprint to learn about it hull design, length, tonnage and deck layout. Blossom’s historically accurate ships and harbors are combined with color, light and composition to capture the mood of a voyage and convey the essence of the seafaring experience. At the age of twenty, he won a Gold Medal at the Society of Illustrators Scholarship Exhibition. His dual vocation of experiencing the sea and then painting both nautical history and some of the greatest modern places to sail, was truly launched. Blossom became both a charter member and an artist of the American Society of Marine Artists, serving as its president from 1983 to 1986. His awards include a Gold Medal from the National Academy of Western Art for his painting of ships in Monterey. Saluted as an undisputed master, Blossom has exhibited his art at the Gilcrease Museum, the Colorado Museum of History, the prestigious Prix de West Invitational and the Artists of America show. Blossom continues to achieve artistic honors including the Robert Lougheed Memorial Award at the 2001 Prix de West. Almost the only time he isn’t painting is when he is sailing, visiting ports of call in Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maryland, the Bahamas, California and Washington state. Blossom, who recently spent a year sailing around the Caribbean with his wife and two sons says of his love, "It’s not a hobby, it’s a way of life. When I look at the ocean, I get the same feeling pilots must get when they look to the sky." On the sheetlet shows the pictures:
1."Morning Star", Hudon´s Bay, 1864- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12594.
2. Among the rolling brakers.
3. "Allerton" on the East river- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16277.
4. "Benjamin Sewall" arriving in San Francisco Bay- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12580.
5. Boston Navy Yard- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16276.
6. "Arthur James" heading out-viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16282.
7. Before the gale.
8. "Cutting in" in the Arctic.
Somalia 2010;(2500x8)Ms
http://www.greenwichworkshop.com/detail ... ype=artist

GOREY HARBOUR on Jersey

The stamp shows us Gorey Harbour on Jersey with in the background Mont Orgueil Castle, in the foreground a wooden hulled fishing boat under sail and two rowing boats around 1795.
They is one of a set of stamps issued by Jersey, all are designed after paintings made by Sarah Louisa Kolpac http://www.theislandwiki.org/index.php/ ... sa_Kilpack

Jersey 1989 13p sg 512, scott ?

SANTIAGO carrack or nao (1570)

In 1971 Portugal issued three stamps for the IV Centenary of the Martyr Missionaries of Brasil all three stamps have the same design, with in the top the SANTIAGO a carrack (also given as a nao) from around 1570, who transported the missionaries to Brasil. The group of missionaries was headed by Inacio de Azevedo, and Wikipedia has the following on this missionary, and the voyage to Brasil.

Blessed Inácio de Azevedo (1527–1570) was a Portuguese Jesuit missionary.

His life
His full name was Inácio de Azevedo de Ataíde e Abreu Malafaia and he was born in Porto from a wealthy family, being the eldest son of Dom Manuel de Azevedo and Dona Francisca de Abreu. One of his brothers, Dom Jerónimo de Azevedo, was Viceroy of Portuguese India from 1612 to 1617.
He was educated at the Portuguese court of King John III and at the age of 18 he became administrator of his family's estate. However, after attending the sermons and speeches of Jesuit priest Francisco Estrada he decided to renounce all his possessions, including the feudal honra of Barbosa, in the northern Portuguese province of Entre Douro e Minho
In 1548 he made an irrevocable choice of a religious life and entered the Society of Jesus where he was finally ordained in 1553. In 1565 Saint Francis Borgia charged him with full powers for the inspection of the Jesuit missions in the Portuguese colony of Brazil, a task that took him nearly 3 years to accomplish. He arrived in Bahia in August, 1566 and he proceeded to visit all the Jesuit missions in Brazil. He nominated Father Manuel da Nóbrega Provincial for Brazil and with Nóbrega and Blessed José de Anchieta he visited the missions in the cities of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro whose foundations were then being laid. He thus spent two years of his life in Brazil.
In October 1568 he was back in Lisbon and in May 1569 he proceeded to Rome to report to Pope Pius V and Saint Francis Borgia. In his final report, Inácio de Azevedo asked for more people to be sent to the missions and Saint Francis Borgia thus ordered him to recruit new elements for the Jesuits in Brazil. Then, after several months of intense preparations that included meetings with King Sebastian of Portugal, Azevedo and his companions finally left Portugal for Brazil on the merchant vessel SANTIAGO on 5 June 1570, while another group of more than 20 companions boarded the military fleet of the newly appointed Governor General of Brazil.
During the trip to Brazil, on July 15, 1570 while sailing near the Canary Islands, the Santiago was attacked and captured by a fleet led by French Huguenot corsair Jacques de Sores off Fuencaliente Lighthouse. Following the capture, Azevedo and his 39 companions were massacred.

The Forty Martyrs of Brazil were blessed by Pope Pius IX on 11 May 1854. In 1999 40 concrete crosses at the place of martyrdom, about 200 ft off the Fuencaliente lighthouse were placed on the seabed by the government of the island La Palma. This place is situated in a depth of about 20 meters and is today a popular diving destination. Adjacent to the old tower, another monument for the Forty Martyrs of Brazil has been erected in the October 2014. This monument is a stone cross, with a plate on which the names of the martyrs are engraved.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In%C3%A1cio_de_Azevedo
Portugal 1971 1e, 3.30e and 4.80e sg?, scott 1116/18.

FRENCH WARSHIP 1720

Dominica issued in 1989 four stamps and a miniature sheet for the Exposition Philatélique Mondale in Paris from 7 to 17 July,
The $1.00 stamp also in the ms shows us a French two decker warship from 1720 of which I have not any details or her career.

Dominica 1989 $1,00 and MS, sg 1228 and sgMS?, scott?

«Arthur James»-fishing schooner

Fishing schooner «Arthur James» had been built in 1905. She had seen sixteen seasons and four collisions, the most recent in 1916 off Castle Island, where she sank in fifty feet of water after being run down by steamer. Every spring around March, the seiners of the mackerel fleet would fit out and prepare to head south to meet the schools of mackerel off the Carolina capes. Then, through the summer, the fleet would pursue the schools north along the coast, finding them by autumn off Nova Scotia. The design stamp is made after painting of Christopher Blossom. In the picture we see: “This is a view of the schooner "Arthur James" leaving Gloucester just after the turn of the century. She is heading out of the harbor at sunrise with a blustery northwest wind. Behind her is the fort section of town. Around her, at anchor and throughout the harbor, the fleet prepares to get under way. With a full load of salt and one seine boat on deck and another towing astern, the "Arthur James" is bound south.”
Somalia 2010;2500. Source: http://www.greenwichworkshop.com/details/default. asp?p=87&a=10&t. https://books. google. ru/ books?id=s2mBTh6mC.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

SEA SOVEREIGN super tanker (not BILL)

SEA SOVEREIGN super tanker (not BILL)

Postby aukepalmhof » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:44 pm

tmp1A9.jpg
Click image to view full size
This stamp is given by Stanley Gibbons as the tanker BILL but not a cargo vessel or tanker under that name exist around that time with the name BILL, it must be a wrong identification.
Any idea which ship is depict, there are two ships most probably the same ship, in the background of the stamp is a stern-section drawing of a ship

Sweden 1974 1k sg823, scott1096.

By Mr advanderpol46 is givens that the Swedish super tanker SEA SOVEREIGN is depict by comparing the stamp with a photo of the ship it looks he is correct.
Some updates are:
01 August 1969 launched as the SEA SOVEREIGN.
Powered by one Kockums-Stal Laval turbine, 32,000 shp., speed 16 knots.
November 1969 completed.

Of her loss what is given as the fraud of the century gives Wikipedia as follows.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem_(supertanker)
Last edited by aukepalmhof on Sun Sep 10, 2017 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5471
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Re: BILL ????

Postby advanderpol46 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:00 am

sovereign_2.jpg
Click image to view full size
Ship is the " Sea Sovereign " built in 1969 by the shipyard Kockums Mekaniska Verstads AB in Malmö, Sweden.
Built for the Salen Rederierna AB in Stockholm with yardnumber 518, IMO 7000798.
Length 316,1 meter, breadth 48,6 meter and draught 24,5 meter.
Sell in 1977 to Pimmerton in Liberia and renamed " South Sun ".
Sell in 1980 to Oxford Shipping in liberia and renamed " Salem ".
On 17 - 01 - 1980 explosion on board and sunk .
Source internet and Salen Rederierna.
advanderpol46
 
Posts: 17
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: SEA SOVEREIGN supper tanker (not BILL)

Postby D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:44 pm

sea sovereign f.jpg
Click image to view full size
Sea Sovereign (1969–1977)
South Sun (1977–1979)
Salem (1979–)
Owner:
Salénrederierna AB (1969–1977)
Pimmerton Shipping Ltd. (1977–1979)
Oxford Shipping Incorporated, Houston
Port of registry:Monrovia
Builder:Kockums Mekaniska Verkstad, Malmö
Christened:1969
Status:Sank 17 January 1980
General characteristics
Class and type: VLCC
Tonnage: 96,228 GRT (other sources gives Gt:107,286, Dw:107,286)
Length: 316.08 m (1,037.0') (LOA)
Beam: 48.77 m (160.0')
Height: 24.50 m (80.4')
Installed power:32,000 hp (24,000 kW)
Propulsion:1 × Stal-Laval steam turbine (other sources gives 2 turbines)
Speed:16 kn. Crew:25.

The tanker, T/T Sea Sovereign, was commissioned in 1969 in Stockholm for Salénrederierna AB and built at the Kockums shipyard in Malmö. In 1977 Salénrederierna sold the tanker to Pimmerton Shipping Ltd. (Liberia), as South Sun and ship management was placed in the hands of Wallem Ship Management Ltd. (Hong Kong). Two years later South Sun was sold to Oxford Shipping Inc. (U.S.). The ship was renamed Salem, but remained under the Liberian flag.

Salem was a supertanker which was scuttled off the coast of Guinea on 17 January 1980, after secretly unloading 192,000 tons of oil in Durban, South Africa. The oil was delivered in breach of the South African oil embargo, and the ship was scuttled to fraudulently claim insurance.

On 30 November 1979 Salem left the port of Piraeus to load oil in the Kuwaiti port of Mina Al Ahmadi, on behalf of an Italian charterer. She loaded approximately 194,000 tons of light crude oil to be discharged in Genoa. The tanker, with its cargo, was insured at Lloyd's of London. She left Mina Al Ahmadi on 10 December and proceeded down the East African coast. On 27 December under the name Lema she entered the port of Durban, South Africa. There, the ship discharged 170–180,000 tons of cargo, and took on the same amount in ballast water in order to stay on a laden draft. She departed Durban on 2 January 1980. On 17 January 1980, under the name Salem, she was found off the Senegalese coast in distress. The British tanker British Trident rescued the crew of the sinking tanker.

Four days after leaving the port of Mina Al Ahmadi, the charterers in Genoa sold the cargo to the Shell Group for [US$]56 million. This type of transaction is not uncommon. When the British tanker Trident rescued the shipwrecked Salem crew, it was observed that not only had the crew taken all their belongings in suitcases but they had gone so far as to rescue a number of other items including duty-free goods and sandwiches, although the tanker was supposed to have sunk so quickly, after several explosions, that there was not enough time to save the ship's log. Far more striking was that, despite the ostensible cargo of nearly 200,000 tons of crude oil and having suffered sufficient explosion damage to cause her to sink, there was barely a trace of the vessel left on the surface.

After Salem′s loss, Lloyd's of London received an insurance claim of US$56.3 million from the owner of the ship. It was the largest single claim that Lloyd's had received up to that time. Research by Lloyd's revealed that the South African oil company Sasol, had bought the Lema / Salem cargo in Durban for US$43 million.
D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen
 
Posts: 754
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:46 pm


Return to Unidentified ships on stamps

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest