SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

BUNGO or BONGO dugout

The ‘bungo” or “bongo” is in Panama a large 18th century dugout canoe, that carried passengers and cargo on the Rio Changres across the isthmus from Panama City to Porto Bello.

During the gold rush to California it carried the forty-niners the nickname for the first passengers to the gold fields in 1844 from the Rio Charges at Gorgona to Las Cruises a distance of forty-mile which took three to four days. From there the passengers were taken overland to Panama City, to board a passenger vessel for San Francisco.
The bongo was partly covered with a palm-thatched shelter as seen on the stamp, to protect the passengers against the sun and rain.
The bongo was paddled by a crew of 18 – 20 . Length ca 37 m. Could carry only a few passengers with their luggage. The stamp shows only three crew poling the bongo.
More on this set of stamps is given on viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7055#!lightbox[gallery]/1/

Source: Various internet sites and Aak to Zumbra a dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.
Canal Zone 1949 6c sg 196, scott 143.

Gabon ships on stamps 1965.

This stamps issued by Gabon were designed by the French marine painter Roger Chapelet (1903 – 1995) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Chapelet

25Fr. Vaisseau an French term for ship. The stamp issued by Gabon in 1965 shows a ship of the 16th Century.
It looks that a model of a galleon is depict. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11966

50F. Vaisseau, merchant ship of the XVII century. The merchantman at that time was used for trading and commerce but she was also armed to protect her for pirate attacks.

85 Fr. In the 18th century, the term frigate referred to ships that were usually as long as a ship of the line and were square-rigged on all three masts (full rigged), but were faster and with lighter armament, used for patrolling and escort. In the definition adopted by the British Admiralty, they were rated ships of at least 28 guns, carrying their principal armaments upon a single continuous deck — the upper deck — while ships of the line possessed two or more continuous decks bearing batteries of guns.
Source: Wikipedia.

100Fr.
The stamp shows a two-masted brig. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11973

Gabon 1965 85f sg230/233, scott ?

PRAM DINGHY

As given by Watercraft Philately the small dinghy is a “pram dinghy” with a length of 6ft.
A small rowboat used as a tender and also used as a small racing yacht. Normally rowed, when used for racing fitted out with a sail and an outboard rudder.
In the past often used as a tender by the yachts anchored in the harbour, but have now been mostly replaced by a small inflatable.

Cayman Islands 1962 1sh 9p sg176, scott 164.
Source: Internet.

THE FERRY, QUEBEC painting

Canada issued in 1967 a set of stamps with paintings, the 20c stamp shows us a painting made by James Wilson Morrice http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/e ... n-morrice/
The painting combines three views: the train station at Lévis at the St Lawrence River, and a view of Cape Diamond taken from the ferry on the St Lawrence River in the centre of the painting, sailing between Lévis and Quebec. The painting is now in the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa.
The painting was made in 1906 and at that time the ferry service was owned by the Quebec & Levis Ferry Co., Quebec, and in 1906 the company owned four ferries, which ferry is shown is not known.

The ferries owned by the company were steam ferries.

SOUTH, built as a wooden ferry by A. Russell at Levis in 1885, tonnage 349 ton.
1924 Sold to T. Hardy, Quebec, not renamed.
First quarter of 1934 broken up.
POLARIS, built as a wooden ferry by R. Sample, Levis in 1883, tonnage 533 ton.
1924 Sold to H. Lizotte, Quebec, not renamed.
Second quarter of 1928 broken up.
PILOT, built as a wooden ferry by R. Sample, Levis in 1884, tonnage 427 ton.
18 November 1917 she was wrecked at Red Island, St Lawrence.
QUEEN, a wooden ferry built by E. Samson, Levis in 1886, tonnage 367 ton.
1924 Sold to La Traverse de Levis Ltee, Quebec, not renamed.
1927 Broken up.

It looks that in 1924 the Quebec & Levis Ferry Co., was going out of business.

Canada 1967 20c sg 587, scott464.
Source: http://www.miramarshipindex.nz and internet

FRANÇOIS PREMIER LOCK at Le Havre

The stamp issued in 1973 by France shows us the largest lock in France, also three cargo ships, one is leaving the lock, the ships look like bulkers, and have not been identified.

The lock is the François Premier lock in Le Havre in north France, and the lock provide access to a huge basin and shipping terminals located upstream of the industrial port area of Le Havre.
The lock was completed in 1971, with a length of 400 metre and wide of 67 metres.

Source: Internet
France 1973 0.90Fr. sg 1998, scott 1364.

THE SMELL OF THE SEA BUTARITARI ISLAND

The 10c stamp issued by the Gilbert & Ellice Islands issued in 1971 tells us the myth or legend how Butaritari Island received his name.
The stamp shows an angler sitting in a dug-out canoe pulling up the island. The following storey is downloaded from the internet.

Posted by Amota Eromanga on August 8, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Many years ago, at Buariki village on Tarawa lived Kaboia and his wife. He was nothing but lazy bones. He didn’t cut toddy or went fishing and his bwabwai pits were the only ones in the village that lay uncultivated. All he loved doing was staying home - sleeping on his buia; while young men in his village would go fishing, cut toddy or work inside their bwaibwai pits located out in the bush. His wife often encouraged him to stop being lazy and be active like the others but he just couldn’t listen.
An important feast to honor the gods was planned and agreed to be held soon in the village. It was compulsory whereby every family must bring three dried salted fish, two bwaibwai (taro) and two coconut shells full of kamwaimwai (syrup) to the mwaneaba. At the day of the feast, all the families in the village brought the required items except Kaboia and his wife who had nothing to bring.
The village people weren’t complaining but only reminded the couple to prepare the items before the next feast. The next and similar feast came and still the family of Kaboia didn’t bring anything at all. This time, people began complaining about the lazy couple. The old men of the village called Kaiboia to a disciplinary meeting and informed him that he must bring his contribution of fish, bwabwai and kamwaimwai to the next feast. He was given no other choices. At the third feast, Kaiboia brought nothing. Now, everyone in the village was really angry because the couple had never brought any foods to the gods. They decided to punish them.
Kaiboia was afraid of the punishment so he began working hard. He started cutting toddy and working in his bwabwai pits. One day, he prepared his fishing gear then set off on his small outrigger canoe. He paddled northwards where he met other fishermen on the way. They mockingly laughed at him knowing that it was his first time to fish. They were also certain that he knew none of the fishing grounds at all. Kaiboia did not care at all; he just paddled further away from them. As he reached the spot - in line with Abaiang island - he paddled a little further so the island was just behind. He floated and began fishing.
Not long, his fishing line was tugged so he quickly held back tightly. The pull increased hence Kaiboia kept holding back. “A very big fish!” he thought for the pull was incredible. He kept pulling his line hoping to see a huge fish. Alas, what he had caught appeared on the water surface. He couldn’t believe what he saw. It wasn’t a big fish but an island! He called the island Butaritari (smell of the sea).

Categories: Legends & Myths http://www.storiesfromkiribati.com/apps ... butaritari
Gilbert and Ellice islands 1971 10c sg 244, scott?
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

BATTLE OF SCHEVENINGEN 1653

The full index of our ship stamp archive

BATTLE OF SCHEVENINGEN 1653

Postby aukepalmhof » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:28 pm

tmp10F.jpg
Click image to view full size
The last battle of the First Anglo-Dutch War 1652- 1654 was the result of a Dutch attempt to break the blockade imposed by the English following their victory at the Gabbard on 2/3 June 1653.
On the 24 July 1654 Admiral Maarten Harpertz Tromp’s on board the BREDERODE (on a Marshall Island stamp) and a fleet of 100 ships sailed from the naval base near the River Maas for the island Texel on the North coast of the Netherlands. The naval base there was blockaded by an English Naval force of 100 ships under command of General George Monck.
The Dutch squadron at Texel under command of Admiral Witte de With consisted of 37 ships under which 10 fire ships.
When Monck was reported that Tromp has sailed out he was lured to the south in pursuit of the Dutch fleet, both fleets sighted each other on 29 July off Katwijk and about 30 ships were involved in this partial engagement.
The main purpose of the Dutch was to enable Admiral de With to sail from Texel, and when he did see the blockading fleet leave, de With sailed out immediately.
The Dutch squadrons met off Scheveningen the next day.

31 July off Scheveningen both fleets met around 06.30 a.m. and the battle commenced. At 11.00 the Dutch suffered a major setback when Admiral Tromp was struck by a stray bullet and mortally wounded.
Tromp’s dead was for many hours concealed on the Dutch fleet.
The fighting was heavy special in the morning and both fleets got heavy losses and severe damage on the ships. During the afternoon the Dutch fleet gradually retreated, and by midnight the English fleet had gone, and the Dutch fleet came to anchor on the road of Texel. Some Dutch ship sank and other burned out, but not any ship was captured by the English fleet, casualties on both side were about the same both lost 1000 men. The English ships losses were less but the fleet had to sail back to England for repair.
With the death of there most admired Admiral Tromp and a much-reduced fleet, the Dutch lost the will to fight, and on 5 April 1654 the Treaty of Westminster was signed in terms favorable for England.

The stamp is designed after a painting in the possession of the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich, painted by the Dutch artist Jan Abrahamz Beerstraten.
The ship in the centre of the stamp with the Dutch flag flying is the BREDERODE, Tromp’s flagship.

Gambia 2001 D7 sg?, scott

Source: http://www.geocities.com/tokyo/garden/5213/tromp.htm
Geschiedenis van Nederland ter Zee by J.C.Mollema. An Encyclopedia of Naval History by A. Bruce and W. Cogar.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5302
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Re: BATTLE OF SCHEVENINGEN 1653

Postby Anatol » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:01 pm

img09431.jpg
Click image to view full size
battle-of-scheveningen-slag-bij-ter-heijdejan-abrahamsz.jpg
Click image to view full size
Battle of Sheveningen 1653. The design stamp is made after painting of Jan Abrahamsz Beerstraten.
Djibouti 2015;4000f.
Anatol
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:13 pm


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 95 guests

cron