SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

BUNGO or BONGO dugout

The ‘bungo” or “bongo” is in Panama a large 18th century dugout canoe, that carried passengers and cargo on the Rio Changres across the isthmus from Panama City to Porto Bello.

During the gold rush to California it carried the forty-niners the nickname for the first passengers to the gold fields in 1844 from the Rio Charges at Gorgona to Las Cruises a distance of forty-mile which took three to four days. From there the passengers were taken overland to Panama City, to board a passenger vessel for San Francisco.
The bongo was partly covered with a palm-thatched shelter as seen on the stamp, to protect the passengers against the sun and rain.
The bongo was paddled by a crew of 18 – 20 . Length ca 37 m. Could carry only a few passengers with their luggage. The stamp shows only three crew poling the bongo.
More on this set of stamps is given on viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7055#!lightbox[gallery]/1/

Source: Various internet sites and Aak to Zumbra a dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.
Canal Zone 1949 6c sg 196, scott 143.

Gabon ships on stamps 1965.

This stamps issued by Gabon were designed by the French marine painter Roger Chapelet (1903 – 1995) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Chapelet

25Fr. Vaisseau an French term for ship. The stamp issued by Gabon in 1965 shows a ship of the 16th Century.
It looks that a model of a galleon is depict. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11966

50F. Vaisseau, merchant ship of the XVII century. The merchantman at that time was used for trading and commerce but she was also armed to protect her for pirate attacks.

85 Fr. In the 18th century, the term frigate referred to ships that were usually as long as a ship of the line and were square-rigged on all three masts (full rigged), but were faster and with lighter armament, used for patrolling and escort. In the definition adopted by the British Admiralty, they were rated ships of at least 28 guns, carrying their principal armaments upon a single continuous deck — the upper deck — while ships of the line possessed two or more continuous decks bearing batteries of guns.
Source: Wikipedia.

100Fr.
The stamp shows a two-masted brig. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11973

Gabon 1965 85f sg230/233, scott ?

PRAM DINGHY

As given by Watercraft Philately the small dinghy is a “pram dinghy” with a length of 6ft.
A small rowboat used as a tender and also used as a small racing yacht. Normally rowed, when used for racing fitted out with a sail and an outboard rudder.
In the past often used as a tender by the yachts anchored in the harbour, but have now been mostly replaced by a small inflatable.

Cayman Islands 1962 1sh 9p sg176, scott 164.
Source: Internet.

THE FERRY, QUEBEC painting

Canada issued in 1967 a set of stamps with paintings, the 20c stamp shows us a painting made by James Wilson Morrice http://www.thecanadianencyclopedia.ca/e ... n-morrice/
The painting combines three views: the train station at Lévis at the St Lawrence River, and a view of Cape Diamond taken from the ferry on the St Lawrence River in the centre of the painting, sailing between Lévis and Quebec. The painting is now in the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa.
The painting was made in 1906 and at that time the ferry service was owned by the Quebec & Levis Ferry Co., Quebec, and in 1906 the company owned four ferries, which ferry is shown is not known.

The ferries owned by the company were steam ferries.

SOUTH, built as a wooden ferry by A. Russell at Levis in 1885, tonnage 349 ton.
1924 Sold to T. Hardy, Quebec, not renamed.
First quarter of 1934 broken up.
POLARIS, built as a wooden ferry by R. Sample, Levis in 1883, tonnage 533 ton.
1924 Sold to H. Lizotte, Quebec, not renamed.
Second quarter of 1928 broken up.
PILOT, built as a wooden ferry by R. Sample, Levis in 1884, tonnage 427 ton.
18 November 1917 she was wrecked at Red Island, St Lawrence.
QUEEN, a wooden ferry built by E. Samson, Levis in 1886, tonnage 367 ton.
1924 Sold to La Traverse de Levis Ltee, Quebec, not renamed.
1927 Broken up.

It looks that in 1924 the Quebec & Levis Ferry Co., was going out of business.

Canada 1967 20c sg 587, scott464.
Source: http://www.miramarshipindex.nz and internet

FRANÇOIS PREMIER LOCK at Le Havre

The stamp issued in 1973 by France shows us the largest lock in France, also three cargo ships, one is leaving the lock, the ships look like bulkers, and have not been identified.

The lock is the François Premier lock in Le Havre in north France, and the lock provide access to a huge basin and shipping terminals located upstream of the industrial port area of Le Havre.
The lock was completed in 1971, with a length of 400 metre and wide of 67 metres.

Source: Internet
France 1973 0.90Fr. sg 1998, scott 1364.

THE SMELL OF THE SEA BUTARITARI ISLAND

The 10c stamp issued by the Gilbert & Ellice Islands issued in 1971 tells us the myth or legend how Butaritari Island received his name.
The stamp shows an angler sitting in a dug-out canoe pulling up the island. The following storey is downloaded from the internet.

Posted by Amota Eromanga on August 8, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Many years ago, at Buariki village on Tarawa lived Kaboia and his wife. He was nothing but lazy bones. He didn’t cut toddy or went fishing and his bwabwai pits were the only ones in the village that lay uncultivated. All he loved doing was staying home - sleeping on his buia; while young men in his village would go fishing, cut toddy or work inside their bwaibwai pits located out in the bush. His wife often encouraged him to stop being lazy and be active like the others but he just couldn’t listen.
An important feast to honor the gods was planned and agreed to be held soon in the village. It was compulsory whereby every family must bring three dried salted fish, two bwaibwai (taro) and two coconut shells full of kamwaimwai (syrup) to the mwaneaba. At the day of the feast, all the families in the village brought the required items except Kaboia and his wife who had nothing to bring.
The village people weren’t complaining but only reminded the couple to prepare the items before the next feast. The next and similar feast came and still the family of Kaboia didn’t bring anything at all. This time, people began complaining about the lazy couple. The old men of the village called Kaiboia to a disciplinary meeting and informed him that he must bring his contribution of fish, bwabwai and kamwaimwai to the next feast. He was given no other choices. At the third feast, Kaiboia brought nothing. Now, everyone in the village was really angry because the couple had never brought any foods to the gods. They decided to punish them.
Kaiboia was afraid of the punishment so he began working hard. He started cutting toddy and working in his bwabwai pits. One day, he prepared his fishing gear then set off on his small outrigger canoe. He paddled northwards where he met other fishermen on the way. They mockingly laughed at him knowing that it was his first time to fish. They were also certain that he knew none of the fishing grounds at all. Kaiboia did not care at all; he just paddled further away from them. As he reached the spot - in line with Abaiang island - he paddled a little further so the island was just behind. He floated and began fishing.
Not long, his fishing line was tugged so he quickly held back tightly. The pull increased hence Kaiboia kept holding back. “A very big fish!” he thought for the pull was incredible. He kept pulling his line hoping to see a huge fish. Alas, what he had caught appeared on the water surface. He couldn’t believe what he saw. It wasn’t a big fish but an island! He called the island Butaritari (smell of the sea).

Categories: Legends & Myths http://www.storiesfromkiribati.com/apps ... butaritari
Gilbert and Ellice islands 1971 10c sg 244, scott?
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

COMET clipper 1851

The full index of our ship stamp archive

COMET clipper 1851

Postby aukepalmhof » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:24 pm

tmp28D.jpg
Click image to view full size
clipper_comet_medium.jpg
Click image to view full size
tmp16C.jpg
Click image to view full size
Built in 1851 as a wooden clipper vessel by William H. Webb, New York for Bucklin & Crane, New York.
Launched as the COMET.
Tonnage 1,836 ton, dim. 73.5 x 12.6 x 6.8m
Bark rigged.
Passenger accommodation for 525 and 41 crew.
Fitted out with a smoking room, bathrooms and a library.

She was built for the California and China trades.

Her maiden voyage was in October 1851under command of Capt. E.C.Gardner from New York via Cape Horn to San Francisco, where she arrived on 13 January 1852. A not so fast passage of 102 days.
From San Francisco she sailed for Hong Kong for a cargo of tea and silks
Her second voyage she made in 112 days between New York and San Francisco, in the vicinity of Bermuda she was hit by a storm in which she lost her topmast and all sails.
In 1854 she made a record voyage from San Francisco to New York in 76 days, the same year an other fast voyage she made from Liverpool to Hong Kong in 84 days 16 hours, with an average speed of 212 mile in 24 hour.
Around 1857 she made her fastest voyage when she sailed from Canton to New York in 99 days. Otherwise her career was uneventful the next decade.

July 1863 Sold to T. M. Mackay (Black Ball Line), and renamed in FIERY STAR. Command was taken over by Capt. W.H. Yale or Yule. She was registered at London.
11 April she sailed from London made a call at Queenstown on the 19th from where she left with on board 525 passengers, her log recorded nine deaths and four births before she arrived in the Moreton Bay, Australia on 20 November, after a passage of 93 days from Queenstown.
After her return voyage to the U.K. she made an other voyage with emigrants to Australia.
01 April 1865 she left Brisbane for London with a cargo of 2041 bales of wool and 55 passengers, and 41 crew, under command of Capt. Yule.
20 April when in the vicinity of the Chatham Islands some of her cargo in the lower hold was on fire, she was put before the wind and all hatches battened down and the ventilation pipes blocked.
The fire spread and after some days the decision was made to abandon the vessel, there was insufficient life-boat accommodation due to that two boats had been swept away during bad weather. On 23 April, 78 passengers and crew left the vessel, leaving behind 18 volunteers under command of the First Mate W.C. Sargeant.
The volunteers fought the fire and at noon on 3 May by dead reckoning, the mate estimated that she were about 98 miles from the New Zealand coast, the next days two islands were sighted what the mate thought were the Aldermen or Mercury Islands.
On the 5th of May the ship encountered a gale which drove her offshore, also the raft what was constructed to abandon the vessel was swept away during the night. At 11.00 a.m. the foremast went over the side taking with hem the topgallant mast and upper yards.
The gale continued the next day and all hope of making land was gone.
On the 11th they were about 25 miles from the shore.
On 12 May the light of a vessel were seen and the last rockets were fired, which were seen by the vessel.
She was the DAUNTLESS under command of Capt. Moore bound for Auckland, she altered course and rescued the 18 men. When her last man was taken off the main-masts fell and within 30 minutes the ship was engulfed in flames.

HMS BRISK searched later around the Chatham Islands for the two missing boats but not any trace was found

The remains of the wreck of the FIERY STAR where found in 1971 on the west side of Double Island in the Mercury Group off the North Island of New Zealand, her two anchors were recovered.

Niger 1984 300f sg992, scott?
St Thomas and Prince 2003 7000 Db sg?, scott? (the stamp is designed after a painting of Richard C. Moore.)

Source: Greyhounds of the Sea by Cutler. The Passage Makers by M.K. Stammers.
The Australia Run by Jack Loney and Peter Stone. New Zealand Shipwrecks.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5302
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Re: COMET clipper 1851

Postby Anatol » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:16 pm

img07816.jpg
Click image to view full size
img0811.jpg
Click image to view full size
Comet clipper 1851. The design stamp is made after painting of Richard Moor: Clipper ship Comet.
Tchad 2014;1000f. Uganda2016;50000s.
Anatol
 
Posts: 479
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:13 pm


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 91 guests

cron