Lady Mary Wood (Paddle Steamer) 1842

Built in 1842 by Thomas Wilson & Co., Liverpool. Gt; 533, Diamensions; 160'8 x 25'5 x 16'6. A two cylender, 250 ihp (60 1/4" diam. X 66" stroke) steam engine, built by Fawcet Preston & Co., Liverpool, and paddle wheels gave her a speed of 12 knots. She had a wooden hull, carried 200 tons of cargo, 60 first class and 50 third class passengers.

She was launched 16 September 1841 and delivered 19 January 1842, she entered the Mediterranean service. In 1845 she was placed in the Ceylon-Singapore-Hong Kong service. When a rebellion broke out in Ceylon in 1848, Lady Mary Wood brought troops from Madras to put down the revolt, thus becoming the first steam-propelled troopship. In 1850 she attempted a Hong Kong-Shanghai service, but high customs duties at Shanghai, rigged by local merchants, forced discontinuance. She was sold in 1859 to the Indo-Netherlands Company for service between the East Indies and China.

Singapore, 1980, S.G.?, Scott, 348.

Source:Watercraft Philately

JEANIE JOHNSTON (Ireland)

Built 1998-2002 by The Jeanie Johnston (Ireland) Company Ltd., Blennerville, Tralee, for Dublin Docklands, Development Authority (operator Aiseanna Mara Teoranta)
Cost: €13.7m. port of registry Tralee, County Kerry.
Maiden voyage: March 2003, IMO number: 8633671, Call sign: EIJL, MMSI number: 250271000
Status: Museum ship
Three-masted barque, Gt:301, Displacement:518 t. (510 long tons) Length:47 m.(154' 2") o/a, 37.5 m.(123') on deck, Beam:8 m.(26' 3") Draft:4.6m.(15'1") Air draft:28m.(91'10")

Propulsion:2 × 290 hp. (216 kW.) Caterpillar 3306 diesel engines
1 × 50 kW. (67 hp.) bow thruster.
Sail plan:18 Duradon sails, 645 m2. (6,940 sq ft) sail area
Endurance:Under sail: 70 days, On 1 engine:17 days
Crew:40 (11 permanent and 29 voyage crew)

In 2003 the replica Jeanie Johnston sailed from Tralee to Canada and the United States visiting 32 US and Canadian cities and attracting over 100,000 visitors.
She took part in the Tall Ships Race from Waterford to Cherbourg in 2005 and finished 60th out of 65 ships.
Other notable Irish tall ships or sail training ships are the Asgard II (lost in the Bay of Biscay in 2008), the Dunbrody, the Lord Rank (N.I.)
and the Creidne (I.N.S.).
The replica is currently owned by the Dublin Docklands Development Authority who bought it in 2005 for a reported 2.7 million Euro,
which were used to clear outstanding loans on the vessel guaranteed by Tralee Town Council and Kerry County Council.
From 2006 to 2008 she was operated on their behalf by Rivercruise Ireland. During that time she carried approximately 980 sail trainees and over 2,500 passengers,
making regular visits to ports around Britain and Ireland, and also undertaking several trips to Spain each summer,
often carrying voyage crew who intended to join the Camino de Santiago. In between these voyages she would offer day-sails in Dublin Bay.
In early 2009 the Dublin Docklands Development Authority and Rivercruise Ireland could not reach agreement.
DDDA then offered the Department of Defence use of the ship as a training vessel for free (as a replacement for the sunken Asgard II),
but the offer was turned down.
The Department of Defence declared the Jeanie Johnston unsuitable because of her lack of speed, her required crew size of 11 and her inability to participate
in tall ships races. No alternative operator was found until mid-2010, when Galway-based company Aiseanna Mara Teoranta was appointed to operate the ship as a museum.
As of 2010, the ship is not in seagoing condition.
(Ireland 2000, 30 p. StG.?) Internet

PRODROMOS

From Mr. Sitnikov I got an image of the German tanker PRODROMOS on an artistic stamped envelope from Russia issued on 10 April 2014, and some photo’s
Built as a hopper barge under yard no 614 by Lobnitz & Co. Ltd., Renfrew, Scotland for the Cie Universelle du Canal Maritime de Suez, Port Said, Egypt.
23 May 1906 launched as the PRIMUS.
Tonnage 601 gross, dim. 57.6 x 11.0 x 2.7m (draught), length bpp 54.9m.
Powered by a steam engine(s) ?
June 1906 completed.
1910 Renamed in PORTEUR No, 36 by owners.
14 March 1938 Sold to Vayannis Cairactides, Piraeus, Greece for £1,900 and renamed PRODROMOS, She was rebuilt in a tanker by the new owners. Two 3-cyl. Diesel engines, manufactured by Bolinder-Munktell, Sweden, 236 hp, each, twin shafts, speed 9 knots.
Tonnage 877 grt, 424 nrt.
08 November 1940 requisition by Greek Government
April 1941 abandoned by her crew in Selinia, Salamis Island, Greek.
After Athens was occupied by German Forces in 27 April 1941 the PRODROMOS was taken as a prize and transferred to the German Navy, not renamed. In service by the navy as a tanker.
1942 Was the German Mediterranean company Hamburg the owner of the PRODROMOS.
After 14 April 1944 the Russian submarine M-111 on patrol off Cape Tarkhankut, Crimea sighted on 17th April the PRODROMOS escorted by the HELGA a transport. M-111 fired torpedoes which missed their target.
PRODROMOS took part in the evacuation of the German troops and her allies from the Crimea to Constanta in April/May 1944
09 May 1944 sunk by the German Navy at Sevastopol according German sources, the Russian sources give, taken by Soviet shore artillery in Sevastopol, by looking at the photo’s it looks that the German forces put her on fire, but she did not sink and was later taken by the Soviets. Anyhow she looks a complete wreck and she was not used again, most probably scrapped at situ.
Russia stamped envelope 2014.
Sources: Mr. Sitnikov. http://historisches-marinearchiv.de/pro ... _value=475
http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz
http://www.worldwar2.ro/arr/?article=776

Seute Deern (Three Masted Bark) 1919

Built in Gulfport Shipbuilding Company, Gulfport, Bremerhaven, Germany in 1919; Gt. 721,38, nt. 630,26; 178.58’ x 36.17’ x 14.76’ (draught) [54.43m (61.45m oa) x 11.30m x 4.6m]; wood hull, barque rig with steel spars, 1.107sq.m. sail area; crew: 10.

Built as Elizabeth Bandi for the Marine Company, Mobile, Alabama, U.S., she was originally a four-masted coastal schooner, but later rebuilt as an auxiliary barque. At the time of her construction, there was an enormous need of trading vessels, hence, hundreds of ships were built. But there was a lack of good dry wood for their construction, so many of the ships were built from fresh wood (Pitchpine). This caused some problems, particularly on Elizabeth Bandi’s first voyage. Loaded with wood, the fresh wood that had been used in her construction, started to twist. As well, it was attacked by worms eating the outer planks, causing her to become leaky. The crew constantly manned the pumps to prevent her from sinking, and when they finally made their destination, she needed extensive repairs before she was able to continue.

Until 1931, the Elizabeth Bandi had sailed under the American flag, but was then sold to a Finnish owner
(William Uskanen) and renamed Bandi. As Bandi, she was primarily involved in the wood export to England. The change from the salty American waters, to the north Baltic Sea, was well suited for her hull. The Baltic Sea water did not contain beetles or wood worms. In 1935, she was sold to W. Uskanen, whose company coincidentally, was called Laiva Bandi. The brokerage firm of Yrjaenen & Kumpp of Bereederung, was in charge of her cargoes. But, they soon had problems finding enough cargo for the ship.

She was sold on Nov. 7, 1938 for 26,500 realm Marks to Germany. The new owner, J. T. Essberger of Hamburg, had the four-masted sailing ship overhauled completely to a three-mast bark. The change began Dec. 16, 1938 with Blohm & Voss (Hamburg) and on June 15, 1939, the nearly new sail-school ship, Seute Deeern, was activated. Up to the end of the Second World War the Seute Deern serviced within the Baltic Sea as a freight and training ship. At the end of war, the bark wound up in Luebeck. The shipping company Essberger brought Seute Deern in June 1946, with the help of a tractor, between Travemuende to Schlichting. There, she was converted into a hotel ship. One year later, the Seute Deern was moved to Hamburg and continued to be used as a hotel and restaurant ship, at the famous “couch place” of the old Ferry VII dock.

The Emder Gastwirtin Erna Hardisty bought her and transferred her to Emden, where she was fastened in December 1964.

On June 22, 1966, she was dragged from Emden to Bremerhaven and its new couch place was in Bremerhaven.

In 1972, she was taken over by the German navigation museum and thoroughly restored. In April 1983, she was renovated into a restaurant ship once again and operated by the Hotel Naber.


Germany, 2003, 2.60 €, S.G.?, Scott; ?.

Source: ; http://www.janmaat.de/seuted.

Snipe Class Dinghy

The Snipe is a 15 1⁄2 foot, 2 person, one design racing dinghy. Designed by William Crosby in 1931, she has evolved into a modern, tactical racing dinghy with fleets around the world. The Snipe is simple, making it easy to sail and trailer. The boat is recognized by the International Sailing Federation as an International Class and is sailed in 26 different countries. There have been over 30,000 Snipes constructed worldwide.

The global Snipe slogan is "Serious sailing, Serious fun".

The Snipe class has both developed and attracted some of the sailing world's top competitors. The top two olympic medalists in sailing Torben Grael and Paul Elvstrøm have competed in the Snipe. Grael, winner of five Olympic medals, began his world class career by winning a junior Snipe world championship, and subsequently two world championships.Elvstrøm was Snipe world champion in 1959 having won three of his four Olympic golds and world championships in the Finn and 505 class.

She can be sailed by all types of persons, no matter their age, their weight, or their sex. Co-ed crews are very popular in Snipe sailing.

Perhaps because of the very limited evolutions of the boat allowed over the years, there is an excellent second-hand market.

Regattas are held in most countries and local, regional, national and international championships offer great opportunities to compete at different levels of skills.
She is also easy and cheap to transport.

During a meeting of the Florida West Coast Racing Association in march, 1931, Bill Crosby promised to publish a new trailer boat design in the magazine "The Rudder". This was done on the July, 1931 issue, and the new boat was called "Snipe". The first unit was built in Pass Christian, Mississippi and was issued sail number 1 of the class in September, 1931. By may, 1932, 150 boats were already registered, and by the end of the year the number reached 250. In July, 1936, the class was the largest racing class in the world.

Brazil, 1962, S.G.?, Scott; 941.

Brazil, 1979, S.G.?, Scott; 1611.

Source: Wikipedia

EURODAM

Built as a cruise vessel under yard No 6149 by Fincantiere, Marghera, Italy for HAL Antillen NV, Curacao, Netherlands Antilles (Holland America Line NV, Seattle, Wa. USA)
30 November 2006 ordered.
09 February 2007 laid down.
28 September 2007 floated out as the EURODAM. One of the Signature class.
Tonnage: 86,273 grt, 9.125 dwt, dim. 285.30 x 32.20 x 7.80m. (draught), length bpp254.0 m.
Powered diesel electric by four 12 MAK M43C and two 8 MAK M43C diesel engines, 64.000 kW, which drive two azipods aft, speed service speed 22 knots.
Three bowthrusters 1.9 MW.
Accommodation for 2671 passengers maximum and 929 crew.
16 June 2008 delivered to owners.
01 July 2008 christened at Rotterdam by Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands.
MS EURODAM is a Signature class cruise ship for Holland America Line. EURODAM is the 80th ship to enter Holland America's service and, at 86,700 tons and carrying 2,104 passengers, she is the largest Holland America ship to date, along with her new sister NIEUW AMSTERDAM. She also has dynamic positioning abilities using three 1.9 MW bow thrusters and two 17.6 MW aft mounted Azipods. Total electrical power generation is 64 MW by six diesel generators.
Service History
EURODAM was christened by Queen Beatrix of the Netherlands at Rotterdam, Netherlands on July 1, 2008 before embarking on its official 10-day maiden voyage from Copenhagen on July 5th.
In April and May, the ship operates in the Mediterranean and in Western Europe. From May to August, the ship visits the Baltic, Norway and the British Isles before embarking to Canada and New England in September and October. From late October to early April the ship travels on alternating western and eastern Caribbean cruises.
Drydock
On 4 April 2011, the EURODAM was put into drydock for ten days in Freeport, Bahamas for the first time since construction in 2008. During this time the ship had new paint applied to the hull, the thrusters, Azipod propulsion units, stabilizers and hull fittings were serviced, and new teak decking was installed on the Lido deck.
Similar in appearance to Holland America's Vista class vessels, EURODAM features one additional deck and several interior layout differences.
EURODAM has ten cabins with floor-to-ceiling and wall-to-wall windows. Eighty-six percent of the cabins are on the outside, and 67% have balconies. In contrast to NIEUW AMSTERDAM, EURODAM features juliet balconies in its Deck 11 "VT" class staterooms. Throughout the ship are touchscreens with navigation information for passengers.
On board the vessel are five dining rooms, including The Pinnacle Grill in partnership with Le Cirque. Exclusive to the Signature ships are the pan- Asian themed restaurant, Tamarind, and the African-themed Explorer's Bar. The main atrium features artwork designed by Vincent Jansen and throughout the ship are reproductions of famous Dutch artists. The mainstage and theater seat 890 in the audience.
Togo 2013 750F sg?, scott? (hull color wrong must be blac.)
Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MS_Eurodam http://www.faktaomfartyg.se/eurodam_2008.htm

SAPPHIRE PRINCESS

Built as a cruise vessel under yard No 2180 by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, Nagasaki, Japan for Fairlin Shipping Intl. Corp. (Princess Cruise Lines) Valencia, California, USA.
25 May 2002 floated out as the DIAMOND PRINCESS, one sister.
Tonnage 115,875 grt, 77,745 nrt, 14,601 dwt, dim. 290.0 x 37.50 x 8.00m. (draught), length pbb246.0m.
Powered by one GE-Marin gasturbine and two Wärtsilä 8L46c and two Wärtsilä 946 diesel engines, 61,000 kW, driving two electric motors which drive fixed pitch propellers. Six thrusters, three at the bow three at the stern.
01 October 2002 during outfitting a fire broke out which destroyed large parts of the superstructure.
After the fire was extinguished it was decided to rebuild the ship and rename her in SAPPHIRE PRINCESS.
Passenger accommodation for 3100 passengers and 1100 crew.
27 May 2004 completed, Bermuda registry, homeport Hamilton. Building cost US$400 million.
10 June 2004 christened by the First Lady of Alaska Mrs. Nancy Morkowski in Seattle.
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS is a cruise ship owned by Princess Cruises that entered service in 2004 as the twin sister ship of DIAMOND PRINCESS . She is one of the world's largest cruise ships, with a capacity of approximately 2,670 passengers and is the sixth Gem Class ship built by Princess Cruises. SAPPHIRE PRINCESS was christened on June 10, 2004 in Seattle—the first cruise ship ever to be christened in that port.
Currently, the Sapphire Princess is scheduled to sail Asia cruises from Shanghai in the summer months, then from November through February, the ship will sail roundtrip Asia cruises out of Singapore.
Design
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS is technically a sister ship to GRAND PRINCESS but has several differences. The most notable of these is that the Skywalkers Nightclub suspended across her stern was moved to the back of the funnel, which opens up the terrace pool area. Sapphire takes personal choice dining another step further by splitting the two anytime dining rooms of its older sisters into four, each of which has its own theme and specialty dish. Another dramatic alteration is the repositioning of the Internet Café to the Promenade Deck adjacent to Sabatini's. This moves the Wheelhouse Bar farther to the front of the ship, in place of the Crown Grill. She is otherwise nearly identical to her older sisters.
Construction
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS was built in Japan by Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, the second Princess Cruises ship to be built in a Japanese shipyard. Her only sister ship, with whom she swapped names, DIAMOND PRINCESS during construction.
The name swap occurred because a major fire swept through the original DIAMOND PRINCESS during construction, leading to a construction delay. Both sister ships were being constructed at the same time, so the original Sapphire assumed the role of Diamond. This name swap assisted in keeping the delivery date of DIAMOND PRINCESS on time, and kept SAPPHIRE PRINCESS on schedule as it was nearing completion early. SAPPHIRE PRINCESS was the second Princess Cruises ship to be built in a Japanese shipyard, and lacks the "wing" or spoiler across the rear which can be seen on GOLDEN PRINCESS.
Refits
At the beginning of 2012 SAPPHIRE PRINCESS was refitted with Princess' signature "Piazza" in place of the center atrium, including the International Café and a pizzeria. Princess also added the "Movies Under the Stars" poolside theatre to the top deck and a new adults' retreat, The Sanctuary. The refit brings Sapphire Princess in alignment with the newer features from Grand Princess and others in the Grand Fleet.
Machinery
Her diesel-electric plant includes four diesel generators and a gas turbine generator. The diesel generators are Wärtsilä 46 series common rail engines, two of the straight 9-cylinder configuration, and two of the straight 8-cylinder configuration. The 8- and 9-cylinder engines can produce approximately 81⁄2 and 91⁄2 MW of power respectively. These engines are fueled with Heavy Fuel oil (HFO or bunker c) and Marine Gas Oil (MGO) depending on the local regulations regarding emissions, as MGO produces much lower emissions but is much more expensive. The gas turbine generator is a GE 2500, producing a peak of 25 MW of power and being fueled by MGO. This generator is much more expensive to run than the diesel generators, and is used mostly in areas, such as Alaska, where the emissions regulations are strict. It is also used when top speed is required to make it to a port in a short time period. There are two propulsion electric motors which drive fixed-pitch propellers and six thrusters used during maneuvering; three bow and three stern. The propulsion electric motors (PEMs), are conventional synchronous motors made by Alston Motors. The two motors are each rated to 20 MW and have a maximum speed of 154 rpm. (Rated speed of 0-145 rpm.)[7]
Ports of call
SAPPHIRE PRINCESS previously alternating Northbound & Southbound Voyage of the Glacier cruises during the summer and in the winter sails Mexico, Hawaii & California Coastal cruises. Beginning in 2014, the ship will sail roundtrip Asia cruises from Shanghai in the summer months, then from November through February, the ship will sail roundtrip Asia cruises out of Singapore
Rescheduled sailings
In April 2014, SAPPHIRE PRINCESS was supposed to return to Alaska, but those plans were cancelled and will sail Asian cruises instead. Most of the ship's Hawaii cruises for 2014 were cancelled, and from the beginning of that year, which Princess kept it running on more short cruises to the West Coast round-trip Los Angeles, as well as a 10-day cruise that departed March 1, 2014. On April 3, 2014, the SAPPHIRE PRINCESS sailed a 25 day repositioning cruise from Los Angeles to Osaka, which it stopped at Honolulu, Guam, Keelung, Okinawa, Shanghai, Kagoshima and concludes in Osaka.
On April 5, 2014, her previously scheduled cruises at that time was replaced by CROWN PRINCESS after it's arrival in Los Angeles.
Incidents and accidents
Whale strikes
On two occasions whales have been found dead on the bulbous bow of SAPPHIRE PRINCESS, a year apart from each other. On July 25, 2009 the ship docked at Canada Place Terminal, in Vancouver, Canada, with a dead Fin Whale lodged on its bow. The estimated 21.3m (70 ft) whale was found on top of the bulbous bow. Preliminary reports from the Fisheries and Oceans necropsy suggest the whale might have been sick. On July 28, 2010, SAPPHIRE PRINCESS had a whale stuck on the bow of the ship. The estimated 12.2 m (40 ft) humpback whale became entangled on the ships bulbous bow while SAPPHIRE PRINCESS was sailing from Ketchikan to Juneau.
The last time, before SAPPHIRE PRINCESS that an Alaskan cruise ship docked in Vancouver with a whale on its bow was in 1999, when a dead 20-metre (66 ft) Fin whale was found on MV GALAXY
2014 In service same name and owners, IMO No 9228186
Togo 2013 750F sg?, scott?
Source http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sapphire_Princess http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Calpe HMS

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Calpe HMS

Postby john sefton » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:01 pm

SG638.jpeg
SG638
Click image to view full size
SG748MS 5.jpg
Click image to view full size
HMS Calpe was one of thirty-two Type II Hunt Class destroyers. Built by Swan Hunter and Wigham Richardson at Tynemouth, she was launched on 28 April 1941 and commissioned on 29 November 1941.
She displaced 1,200 tons and had a speed of approx. 27 knots.
Her armament consisted of six 4" guns in twin HA/LA mountings, four 40mm pom-pom guns and two depth charges rails.
Whilst in the Mediterranean she spent most of June 1943 going between Gibraltar and Mers-El-Kebir escorting capital ships of Force H. She subsequently moved eastwards
escorting convoys in support of the invasion of Sicily in 1943.
Amongst the many actions she was involved in during her Mediterranean services she is best remembered for two encounters. On 13 December 1943, whilst on anti-submarine operations with USN Wainwright, her depth charges were successful in forcing the
Germany submarine U-593 to surface, to be subsequently sunk by gunfire. In October 1944, whilst in company with HMS Cleveland, she made offensive raids on German defences in the Aegean and also engaged and destroyed six German assault craft off the Island of Piscopi. She was awarded 8 battle honours of which 6 were for her
actions in the Mediterranean.
She left Gibraltar for the last time on 10 November 1946 flying her paying off pennant and was paid off into the Reserve Fleet on the 16 January 1946.
After the war she was reconstructed and in 1953 went on loan to the Royal Danish Navy as the 'RoIf Kraken' and was eventually scrapped in 1962.
The present holder of the name HMS Calpe is the Royal Naval
Reserve Headquarters Unit based in Gibraltar (the only RNR HQ
Unit outside the United Kingdom) which was formed in July 1965.
Gibraltar Philatelic.
Gibraltar SG638

Type II HUNT Class Escort Destroyer ordered from Swan Hunter at Wallsend in December 1939 under the 1939 War Emergency Programme. The ship was laid down as Job No 4196 on 12th June 1940. The ship was launched on 28th April 1941 as the 2nd RN warship to carry the name which was first used for a Prize (SAN JOSEF) captured in 1800. She was completed on 11th December 1941 and was adopted by Abingdon, Berkshire after a successful WARSHIP WEEK National Savings campaign in February 1942.

B a t t l e H o n o u r s
GUT OF GIBRALTAR 1801 - DIEPPE 1942 - ENGLISH CHANNEL 1942 - NORTH AFRICA 1942-43 - MEDITERRANEAN 1943 - SICILY 1943 - SALERNO 1943 - AEGEAN 1943 - SOUTH FRANCE 1944
H e r a l d i c D a t a
Badge : On a Field per fess wavy Red and Blue. a chess Rook Gold in front of two hunting horns in saltire White.
P o s t W a r N o t e s
HMS CALPE served with the Flotilla in the Indian Ocean until November 1946 when she took passage to UK to Pay-off and reduce to Reserve status. She was laid up at Sheerness on 17th January 1946 and transferred to Portsmouth in 1947. Later she went to Harwich and was transferred on loan to Denmark during 1952. Renamed ROLFE KRAKE this ship was sold to Denmark after 9 years on loan and deployed on the Active List until October 1966 when she was sold for breaking up locally.

http://www.naval-history.net/
Gibraltar SG748ms
john sefton
 
Posts: 1630
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Calpe HMS

Postby aukepalmhof » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:01 pm

Photo11deCalpe1NP.jpg
Click image to view full size
Built as destroyer of the Hunt II type under yard No 1595 by Swan, Hunter & W. Richardson, Wallsend, for the Royal Navy.
20 December 1939 ordered.
12 June 1940 keel laid down.
28 April 1941 launched as the HMS CALPE (L71). The second ship under that name in the Royal Navy
Displacement 1,050 standard, 1,430 tons full load. Dim. 85.34 x 9.61 x 4.42m length bpp. 80.5m.
Powered by two geared stem turbines, 19,000 shp, twin shafts, speed 26 knots.
Range 2,560 miles by a speed of 20 knots.
Armament: 6 – 4 inch guns, 1 – 2 pdr. pompom, 2 – 20mm Oerlikon guns, 50 depth charges.
Crew 164.
11 December 1941 commissioned.

After commissioned joined the First Destroyer Flotilla, and serves there for over one year.
During that time she took part in the Raid on Dieppe on 19 August 1942 when she embarked the naval and military force commanders, during the raid she received minor damage from an air attack.
Then joined the Torch Operation in the Mediterranean as a unit of the 59th Destroyer Division till August 1943. Mostly used for the escort of capital ships between Gibraltar and Mers-El-Kebir.
From August 1943 until September 1943 a unit of the 48th Escort Group.
September 1943 until November 1943 a unit of the 50th Escort Group.
12 December 1943 as unit of the Mediterranean Hunts together with USS NIBLACK, WAINWRIGHT and BENSON and HMS HOLCOMBE she sank U 593 off the Algerian coast.
1944 She took part in the South of France landings, and on October 1944 carried the occupying forces to the Aegean Islands.
She returned briefly to the UK before heading again to the Mediterranean. Underwent a refit at Ferryville, Tunisia from 03 January 1945, after three months she left for Malta for further repairs.
11 May 1945 she returned home to Chatham of a unit of the 18th Destroyer Flotilla.
Stayed for a short time in Chatham before leaving for the Far East to join the 14th Destroyer Flotilla Eastern Fleet at Trincomalee where she was on VJ Day.
Returned thereafter to the UK to pay off into reserve at Sheerness on 17 January 1946.
January 1947 transferred to Portsmouth and later to Harwich.
1952 Was she transferred to Sheerness for a refit in preparation for her transfer to Denmark.
28 February 1952 loaned to the Danish Navy as ROLF KRAKE (F 342).
18 October 1954 commissioned in the Danish Navy.
Armament 3 – 102mm guns, 4 – 40mm MG. 4 depth charge mortars Mk. IV and 2 depth charge launchers.
Crew 148.
1962 Decommissioned.
26 October 1966 sold to Otto Danielsen for demolition in Denmark.

Gibraltar 1995 5p sg MS748, scott684a

Source: The Hunts by John English. http://www.navalhistory.dk/english/TheS ... Krake(1954).htm
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 3588
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 20 guests

Sponsored Links
cron