SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

BRIDAL BOAT IN HARDANGER FJORD

On this stamp issued by Norway in 1974 you see a bridal boat carrying the bride and groom and her guests dressed in traditional garb on her wedding day to or from the church some-where in the Hardanger fjord, Norway.
The painting was made in 1848 by the Norwegian landscape painter Hans Gude in collaboration with Adolph Tidemand, the painting has the title “The Bridal Procession in Hardanger” and it is a famous well know painting in Norway. When you click on this link you can see a very large image of the painting, when you enlarge the painting, the bride is sitting in the stern.
http://samling.nasjonalmuseet.no/en/object/NG.M.00467

Of the boat used I have not much information, most probably the “kirkebåt” was used, which was owned by the farmers of the district, and it was important that the boat carrying the bride should be the fastest, and stout oarsmen had to be selected among the young men of the community.

Norway 1974 1k sg 716, scott 633
Source: Internet

DAO

The three stamps issued by the Comoro Islands in 1970 shows us on the foreground three ships under sail, which Stanley Gibbons give that it are “feluccas” actual it are “dau’s” also known as “boutre” but she are a larger type.

You can find this type of vessels in the Comoro Islands and western Indian Ocean. The “dau” is a roughly constructed wooden vessel that carried cargo to the west coast of India, taken advantage of the monsoon winds. Slightly raking stem, square stern. Decked or open.
Set a large lateen to forward-raking mast; yard supported by a jibboom.
Reported lengths 13.7 – 15.2m, beamy; tonnage 50 to 60 ton.
The mosque is the Mosquée de Vendredi (old Friday mosque), which is the oldest mosque in the Medina. It was originally built in 1427, and a minaret was added in 1921.

Comoro Islands 1970 5/40f sg 91/93, scott
Source: From Aak to Zumbra a dictionary of the World’s Watercraft. Internet.

AMERICA CUP yacht 1970

The stamp issued by Mali in March 1971 shows us an unnamed America cup yacht, most probably for the 1970 America Cup races in Newport, Rhode Island which was won by the America yacht INTREPID, at that time the yachts used in the race were of the 12m class. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/12-metre_class

The 1970 America's Cup was held in September 1970 at Newport, Rhode Island. The US defender, INTREPID, skippered by Bill (Ficker is Quicker) Ficker, defeated the Australian challenger, GRETEL II, skippered by James Hardy, four races to one
INTREPID had beaten HERITAGE and VALIANT to become the defender. (1962 winner WEATHERLY also participated in the trials, providing a fourth boat so racing could proceed more uniformly.) GRETEL II had beaten FRANCE to become the challenger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1970_America%27s_Cup
Mali 1971 200f sg 271, scott?

Navicula gives that the FRANCE is depict, but I can’t find any confirmation for that.
http://www.12mrclass.com/yachts/detail/ ... 07113.html

VAKA HEKE FA outrigger Niue

The dugout outrigger canoes used in Niue were built with the same structure of the Tonga Islands and are single outrigger canoes and used for fishing, the modern canoes are small fishing craft holding from one to four men.
The outrigger is always on the left side of the hull of the canoe which are connected with two or more booms lashed to the topstrakes of the canoe, and the booms are lashed to the outrigger float.
Mostly decked fore and aft.

From Aak to Zumbra named this outrigger a “vaka heke fa” and gives the following information:
Used in the Niue Islands and central Pacific; a four men fishing canoe. Dugout hull, washstrakes and end decking sewn on; slender; elongated ends taper on all sides, rounded bottom. Hull spread with curved pieces lashed to three booms, which also serve as thwarts; stringers cross atop the booms above the washstrakes. Sharp ended, cylindrical float attached by two pairs of oblique stanchions and a single vertical one.
She are paddled by using lanceolate-bladed paddles.
The canoe has to be light in weight due to the waters around the island are deep and the canoe has to be carried out of the water on shore after use.
Length 7.6m, beam 0.4m depth 0.46 – 0.6m.

Source: Aak to Zumbra a dictionary of the World’s Watercraft and internet.
Niue 1950 2d sg 115, scott96, 1970 3c sg 155, scott?, 1999 20c sg?, scott 741a.

TAINO KANOA

The Tainos people mean of transportation was the dugout “kanoa” (canoe) to travel up and down the rivers also the coastal waters and oceans. They had large and small canoes which were made mostly from wood of the silk cotton tree, which can grow to a length of 25 m. or more.
To hollow out the tree fire was used to soften the inside and when after cooled down stone and shell tools were used to dig-out the inside.
The dugout canoe of the Tainos was long and narrow, flattened bottom, no keel, hull tarred.
Also small single person canoes were used, Columbus reported that he had seen Tainos canoes with 80 paddlers.

Cuba 1985 5c sg 3085, scott 2775 and 50c sg3088, scott 2778.
Aak to Zumbra a Dictionary of the World’s Watercraft and internet.

TAINOS fishing

The Tainos were excellent and very skillful fishermen. They knew very well the rivers, lagoons, mangroves and seas. They used hooks made of fish thorns, tortoise shells and bone. They fished with reeds in their canoes and with cabuya (thin lines) from the shore, they also fished with spears in the rivers and on beaches. They used nets, when the first Spaniards arrived in Cuba they discovered the Tainos had excellent mesh nets and ingenious traps. They knew how to fish using pens that were fences formed from sticks joined with vines, stick to the bottom of rivers and other suitable places in which they caught fish, shellfish turtles. Incredibly they used a fish hook known as Guaicano (remore- or suckerfish) that sticks to the larger fish, and fastened from a cabuya. They used small torches to catch crab. They fished by spewing poisonous substances into the water. In the waters they threw leaves of Barbasco with which they stun the fish that they then collected with ease. They collected shellfish, oysters, and carruchos. (some mollusc).
The Tainos food was natural and tasty of all the delights of the sea and the bodies of water that abounded in a paradisiacal island like Boriquén (Porto Rico)

Cuba 1985 5c sg3085, scott 2775.
http://mayra-losindiostainos.blogspot.co.nz/2009/ Internet.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Orduna I (liner)

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Orduna I (liner)

Postby john sefton » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:20 am

SG418.jpg
SG418
Click image to view full size
SG263.jpg
SG263
Click image to view full size
SS Orduna was an ocean liner built in 1913-14 by Harland & Wolff in Belfast for the Pacific Steam Navigation Company. After two voyages she was chartered to Cunard Line. In 1921 she went to the Royal Mail Steam Packet Company, then being resold to the PSNCo in 1926. Her sister ships were the RMSP Orbita and SS Orca.
She provided transatlantic passenger transport, measured approximately 15,500 gross tons, and was 550.3 ft x 67.3 ft.

First World War.
Orduna was pressed into service as an auxiliary cruiser and troop transport in the First World War running from Halifax, Canada to Liverpool with notables such as Quentin Roosevelt on board.
In January 1915 Orduna rescued the Russian crew of the sailing ship Loch Torridon, which had sprung a leak while transporting timber off the west coast of Ireland. Later in 1915, en-route for New York, Orduna was targeted by a U-boat. The torpedo failed to hit the ship, which arrived safely.
In 1918 Orduna collided with the 4,406 ton steamer Konkary, carrying a cargo of ballast from Queenstown to Trinidad. Konkary was lost in the accident.

Between the wars.
In April 1923 she was involved in another rescue, transporting the crew of the barquentine Clitha, which had been abandoned and set on fire, to England after they had been rescued by the schooner Jean Campbell.
In 1925, Dean James E. Lough of the Extra-Mural Division of the New York University chartered Orduna for the transport of 213 students to France, with lectures taking place on board.

In 1938 the Orduna was used for the third and final 'Peace Cruise', carrying 460 Scouters and Guiders, including Robert and Olave Baden-Powell, and their daughter Heather, on a cruise to Iceland, Norway, Denmark and Belgium. Orduna left Liverpool on 8 August, returning on 25 August via Dover.
Robert Baden-Powell was too ill to leave the ship during the voyage, but parties of local Scouts visited him on the ship at most of the stops, while the Scouters and Guiders on the ship took the opportunity to tour local landmarks and attend receptions. During the stop at Reykjavik on Thursday, 11 August, during which Orduna moored beside the German cruiser Emden, a party from the Scouts of Iceland brought some rock on board so that Baden-Powell could still 'set foot in Iceland'. The Orduna called at Trondheim, Norway, on 15 August, Copenhagen, Denmark on 18 August, and Belgium on Sunday 21 August, before returning to England.

Second World War
During the 1939 "Voyage of the Damned" affair, where German Jewish refugees were refused entry into Cuba, the United States and Canada, Orduna was refused permission to land 40 refugees at Havana.
With the need for military transport in the Second World War, in 1941 she was put into service by the British government as a troopship. Another task during the Second World War was that of an evacuation transport. Military transport continued until 1949.

Post-Second World War
In 1947 conditions for troops returning from Port Said in Egypt on the Orduna, said to include overcrowding and poor food, were raised with the Secretary of State for War.

Demise
Orduna was decommissioned and laid up in November 1950 and dismantled the following year in Dalmuir, Scotland.
Wikipedia
Bermuda SG418 Chile SG263
john sefton
 
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Orduna I (liner)

Postby john sefton » Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:37 am

This well‑known P.S.N.C. liner was launched at Belfast in 1913. She was chartered by the Cunard company to maintain their Liverpool‑New York service when war broke out in 1914, and she remained on the service until the end of hostilities. From 1918 to 1921 she was on the P.S.N. Company's South American service. In 1921 she was transferred to the Royal Mail Line's Hamburg ‑ Southampton ‑ Cherbourg ‑ New York service, continuing on this run until 1927.


In 1923 she made the first Welsh‑speaking cruise from Liverpool to the Norwegian fjords, a chart of the voyage being placed in the Welsh National Museum at Cardiff.


At the commencement of hostilities in 1939 the Orduna was in Liverpool preparing to sail. She left two days afterwards with a full passenger list and completed her voyage without escort for most of the way. She was one of the lucky ships of the war, for despite continuous service in many seas she did not encounter enemy action either from sea, land or air.


Following the collapse of France in 1940, the Orduna was chosen as the repatriation ship and sailed from Liverpool on July 26 with a full complement of French nationals on board and was fully illuminated in accordance with the Hague Convention. In 1941 she commenced her trooping career and by the middle of 1943 the Orduna had made four voyages to the Middle East and one to Bombay, via Freetown, the Cape and Durban, including a short trip in April to Reykjavik, Iceland. After the capture of Madagascar she carried the Vichy Governor and his staff from Tamatave to Durban, while on the same voyage some 500 French naval officers and ratings from Suez were on board, proceeding to the United Kingdom to join the Free French forces.


After the recapture of Abyssinia the steamer embarked part of the West African Division (Nigerian
Regiment) at Berbera. They had been through the whole of the Abyssinian campaign, and the Orduna took them to Durban for transhipment to Lagos. Before the last stages of operations in Italy, the Orduna was engaged between Oran and Naples carrying white and coloured U.S.A. troops for the advance on Rome, and on the voyage she had on board a complete unit of coloured troops. On another occasion she had no less than thirteen nationalities on board.
In August, 1945, the Orduna was commodore vessel for the Malaya Invasion Force, and after Japan's collapse embarked Allied prisoners‑of‑war and internees at Rangoon, leaving there on September 20 for Liverpool with 1,714 of these passengers on board. She received a great ovation at her home port on arrival, a fitting climax to her war career. The prisoners‑of‑war presented a scroll to the master bearing the following inscription: "To Capt. J. Williams, officers and crew, S.S. Orduna, in recognition of a happy voyage home from the Far East, from returning British prisoners‑of war and internees. September! October, 1945."

Sea Breezes November 1946
john sefton
 
Posts: 1724
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aukepalmhof, Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 87 guests