SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year. Full membership includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

LEVIATHAN USS

Palau 2015 $1.20 sg?, scott?

See VATERLAND for her details and history. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9718

MOLTKE SMS

Built as a flush-decked corvette by the Kaiserliche Werft in Danzig for the Imperial German Navy.
1875 Laid down.
18 October 1877 launched as the SMS MOLTKE one of the Bismarck class, she was named after the Prussian Field Marshal Helmuth Karl Bernhard von Moltke.
Displacement 2,843 standard, 2,994 full load, dim. 82.0 x 13.7 x 6.3m. (draught)
Powered by a 3-cyl steam engine, 2,500 ihp, one shaft with a lifting screw, speed 12.5 knots.
Armament 16 – 15.0 cm guns.
Three mast ship rigged, total sail area 2,210 m².
Crew 404-469.
16 April 1878 commissioned.
After commissioned served as training vessel for cadets and midshipmen of the German Navy, and made numerous voyages abroad.
The German expedition under command of Carl Schrader sailed from Germany on 3 June 1882 on board a passenger ship to Montevideo. After arrival Montevideo she boarded the SMS MOLTKE under command of Captain Johannes Heinrich Pirner they sailed to South Georgia which they reached on 20 August 1882.
After a station was constructed in Moltke Harbour on the north coast of the island, the MOLTKE sailed away and left the expedition behind, which were picked up the next year on 6 September 1883 on board of the corvette SMS MARIE.
The MOLTKE was the first engine powered ship arriving in South Georgia.
On 28 October 1911, MOLTKE was renamed ACHERON. A new battlecruiser had been commissioned on 30 September 1911 to carry the distinguished name MOLTKE in the Imperial Navy. ACHERON was reclassified and converted to serve as hulk for U-boat crews at the Kiel naval base. The hulk ACHERON was broken up in 1920.

South Georgia 2015 £1.25 sg?, scott?

Source: Wikipedia and internet.

JOLLIET & MARQUETTE EXPEDITION 1673

1673, Marquette joined the expedition of Louis Jolliet, a French-Canadian explorer. They departed from St. Ignace on May 17, with two canoes and five voyageurs of French-Indian ancestry (Métis). They followed Lake Michigan to Green Bay and up the Fox River, nearly to its headwaters. From there, they were told to portage their canoes a distance of slightly less than two miles through marsh and oak plains to the Wisconsin River. Many years later, at that point the town of Portage, Wisconsin was built, named for the ancient path between the two rivers. From the portage, they ventured forth, and on June 17, they entered the Mississippi near present-day Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.
The Joliet-Marquette expedition traveled to within 435 miles (700 km) of the Gulf of Mexico but turned back at the mouth of the Arkansas River. By this point they had encountered several natives carrying European trinkets, and they feared an encounter with explorers or colonists from Spain. They followed the Mississippi back to the mouth of the Illinois River, which they learned from local natives provided a shorter route back to the Great Lakes. They reached Lake Michigan near the site of modern-day Chicago, by way of the Chicago Portage. In September Marquette stopped at the mission of St. Francis Xavier, located in present-day Green Bay, Wisconsin, while Jolliet returned to Quebec to relate the news of their discoveries.
Marquette and his party returned to the Illinois Territory in late 1674, becoming the first Europeans to winter in what would become the city of Chicago. As welcomed guests of the Illinois Confederation, the explorers were feasted enroute and fed ceremonial foods such as sagamite.
In the spring of 1675, Marquette traveled westward and celebrated a public mass at the Grand Village of the Illinois near Starved Rock. A bout of dysentery which he had contracted during the Mississippi expedition sapped his health. On the return trip to St. Ignace, he died at age 37 near the modern town of Ludington, Michigan.
Marquette and his party returned to the Illinois Territory in late 1674, becoming the first Europeans to winter in what would become the city of Chicago. As welcomed guests of the Illinois Confederation, the explorers were feasted enroute and fed ceremonial foods such as sagamite.
In the spring of 1675, Marquette traveled westward and celebrated a public mass at the Grand Village of the Illinois near Starved Rock. A bout of dysentery which he had contracted during the Mississippi expedition sapped his health. On the return trip to St. Ignace, he died at age 37 near the modern town of Ludington, Michigan.

Canada 1987 34c sg1232, scott1128.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Marquette

Adjame (River Mail and Passenger Steamer) 1912

Owned by Compagnie des Chargeurs Réunis, Grand Bassam (East of Abidjan); Her displacement about 250 tons, unloaded displacement 130 tons, dwt 120; her dimensions; 38.00m x 6.70m x 1,97m, 1.30m (draught); double exp. Two- cylinder engine, diameter of H.P. cylinder 0.406m, low pressure cylinder 0.838m, Evaporating machine: Cylindrical boiler with light-back, Diameter 3,073 m, Length 2,990 m, Grid surface 3.62 sq m, Heating surface 90.00 sq m, Boiler pressure 8.5 k, 359 hp, speed on trials 8.35 knot, volume of the coal bunkers 42 m3; cargo hold volume 205 cubic m; 20 passengers in cabins.

This small mail and passenger steamer was used by Compagnie des Chargeurs Réunis at Grand Bassam (East of Abidjan). The first time she is mentioned in any sources was in 1912.

She was most probably used in the trade on the Ébrié Lagoon which separated Côte d’Ivoire for most of its length, from the Atlantic Ocean by a narrow coastal strip. The 100-kilometre lagoon is linked to the sea by the Vridi Canal, while the Comoë River flows into it. The lagoon averages four km. in width, and five meters in depth. Abidjan and towns such as Grand Bassam, Bingerville, Jacqueville and Tiagba lie on the lagoon.


Ivory Coast 1985, S.G.?, Scott: 738.


Source: Beauge and Cognan-Histoire Maritime des Chargeurs.

Osman Gabriel (Lifeboat) 1973

She was a Rother class lifeboat and designed by R.A.Oakley. She was taken into the service of the Royal National Lifeboat Instution at Port Erin (Manx port) on 04 Aug 1973 and named for her donor, Major Osman Gabriel. She was built at a cost of £60,000.

Her dimensions are length: 37 ft 6 in (11.43 m), beam: 11 ft 6 in (3.51 m), draught: 3 ft 6 in (1.07 m). Propulsion is 2 x 52 hp Ford Thornycroft 250 diesel engines at 8 knots, with an operating radius of 180 miles. Her displacement is 13 tons and her wooden hull has an aluminum alloy superstructure, she is equipped with self-righting boats, and radar and carries a crew of seven.

Most emergency calls came from the coastguard and when this happens two maroons were released,each producing a double explosion.The crew then swiftly assemble at the lifeboat station. On average it took seven or eight seconds to actually launch the boat. The station door was raised by a winch driven by hydraulic power and then the boat travelled down a slipway which was notable for being the steepest in the institution. The boat hited the water at a speed of approximately 20 m.p.h.

The Rother-class lifeboat was a self-righting lifeboat operated by the Royal National Lifeboat Institution around the coast of the United Kingdom and Ireland between 1972 and 1995. They were based on the 37 ft Oakley-class lifeboat.

See Topic: “J G Graves of Sheffield Lifeboat” for Oakley Class Lifeboat.

The Rother-class was the final displacement hull lifeboat produced by the RNLI. As a result of the decision to have fast lifeboats at all all-weather stations they had a shorter than usual career and none of the 14 built reached 20 years service. The 1982 built RNLB James Cable (ON 1068) was the last displacement hull boat in RNLI service when withdrawn from Aldeburgh in December 1993.

The Rother-class was a development of the 37 ft Oakley boat, like its predecessor primarily intended for carriage launching, although 6 of the 14 went to slipway stations. A major change was the abandonment of the Oakley's complicated water ballast self-righting system. The Rother achieved its self-righting ability from its extended watertight superstructure and all had an enclosed wheelhouse with the radar mounted on the roof. Twin 52 hp Ford Thorneycroft 250 four cylinder diesels gave a maximum speed of 8 knots (9.2 mph) and at this speed the range was around 180 nautical miles. The boats built for Walmer and Aldeburgh had strengthed hulls for beach launching over skids.

She was sold in March 1993 and replaced by Lifeboat Herbert and Edith (Atlantic 21-class).

See Topic: “Herbert and Edith”

Isle of Man 1974, S.G.?, Scott: 39.

Isle of Man 1991, S.G.?, Scott: 464.

Source: Wikipedia and various web sites.

ARABIA 1898

To commemorate the 100th year of Mahatma Gandhi's return to India in 1915, India issued in 2015 two stamps and a mint sheet to commemorate this.
The vessel depict in the background of the stamp is the ARABIA on which he made his homeward voyage from London to Bombay.
He arrived 09 January 1915 at 07.30 a.m. at Bombay.
Built as a passenger-cargo vessel under yard No 286 by Caird and Co. Ltd., Greenock, Scotland for the Peninsular & Oriental Steam Navigation Comp. (P&O)
10 November 1897 launched as the ARABIA. The launching was delayed due to an engineer’s strike.
Tonnage 7,903 gross, 4,167 net, 5.051 dwt., dim. 152.31 x 16.55 x 7.47m, draught 8.20m.
Powered by one four cylinder triple expansion steam engine, manufactured by the shipsbuilder, 11,000 ihp, speed 18 knots.
Passenger accommodation 320 first class and 160 second class or 2,500 troops.
Building cost £250,000.
12 March 1898 registered.
She was built for the accelerated Indian and Australian mail contracts.
1898: Took Lord Curzon to India to take up his appointment as Viceroy.
1902: Took a full load of passengers to the Delhi Durbar, who nicknamed her “RMS Grosvenor Square.”
1905: Collided with RIVERDALE in Bombay.
1910: Took part in an impromptu race with Orient Steam’s OMRAH (a ship with which she had a long rivalry) from Gibraltar to Plymouth, but lost.
1912: Involved in a collision with POWERFUL off Southampton.
09 December 1914 sailed from London with on board Mahatma Ghandi bound for India, arrived in Bombay on 09 January 1915.
1915/1916: Three return voyages UK/Australia.
09/05/1915: Escaped a surfaced enemy submarine in the English Channel by laying down a smokescreen.
03/07/1915: Avoided two enemy submarines in the Channel.
06/11/1916: Torpedoed and sunk at about 11am by the German submarine UB.43, at 36N 21E about 112 miles SxW of Cape Matapan, Greece. She was on a voyage from Sydney,NSW to the United Kingdom with 283 crew, 437 passengers and general cargo. 11 engineroom crew were lost but the survivors all took to the boats within 15 minutes and were picked up by four armed trawlers (who landed their rescuees in Malta) and the Ellerman liner CITY OF MARSEILLES, bound for Port Said. ARABIA’s sinking produced an open exchange of letters between the United States of America and Germany, despite the comparatively slight loss of life. It was said that the German authorities claimed that the submarine commander had mistaken the dresses of lady passengers for Chinese soldiers en route for France.

Previous update by Paul Strathdee.

Last updated: by John Newth from the original records by Stuart Cameron
http://www.clydesite.co.uk/clydebuilt/v ... p?id=15029

India 2015 25r sg?, scott? and MS 30r sgMS?, scott?
Source:P&O a Fleet History , World Ship Society. Internet.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

William And John

The full index of our ship stamp archive

William And John

Postby john sefton » Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:45 pm

SG1086.jpg
SG1086
Click image to view full size
SG538.jpg
SG538
Click image to view full size
WILLIAM AND JOHN. Ship which carried settlers to the island in 1625.

The vessel depicted is not the WILLIAM AND JOHN but most probably a Dutch fluyt, a ships type which around that time was used by the Dutch merchant marine in large numbers. (see index for the details of the fluyt.)
The Dutch were calling already before 1625 at Barbados and via sources from the Dutch West India Company in Zeeland the Anglo-Dutch merchant William Courteen sent two ships to Barbados.
One of the ships was the WILLIAM AND JOHN or some sources given JOHN AND WILLIAM.
There is not any information on the ship, and the stamp design on the 1994 stamp depicts her “with a certain amount of Licence”.

Besides privateering by the Dutch, the search for salt was the mean drive for the Dutch, when they were sending out ships to the Caribbean to look for salt. They needed large quantities of salt for their fishing fleet to cure herring and other fish caught in the North Sea, and in the country for the preservation of meat
When the Dutch were under Spanish control salt could easily be obtained in Spain and Portugal, but when the ties were broken between the two countries on the end of the 16th century, other sources for salt were needed.
The Dutch found it at Punta del Araya on the coast of Venezuela.
The Spanish did not like this trade and many clashes took place there between the Dutch and Spanish ships
When in 1621 the Dutch West India Company (WIC) was formed, the outward cargo for these ships to the Caribbean and South America was all kind of merchandise while the homeward cargo was many times salt.
Around 1623 around 800 Dutch vessels were used in the trade from the Zeven Provincien to the Caribbean.

In 1625 the British Captain John Powel visited Barbados, and he took possession of the Island for England.

When he returned in the U.K. his employer William Courteen decided to send out British settlers to Barbados.
80 Settlers under the leadership of Henry Powel a brother of John left England on board two ships of which one was the WILLIAM AND JOHN.
20 February 1627 they arrived on the west coast of Barbados, were the settlers landed they named the place Jamestown after King James.

They brought with them 10 black slaves captured on the outward voyage from a Portuguese ship, and also all the equipment needed to begin a new colony.

Barbados 1975 4c sg538, scott?. 1994 $1.10 sg1086, scott883.

Source; Various web-sites. The Caribbean People by Lennox Honeychurch.

Auke Palmer.
john sefton
 
Posts: 1642
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Yahoo [Bot] and 17 guests

Sponsored Links
cron