Olive Branch

The full index of our ship stamp archive
john sefton

Olive Branch

Post by john sefton » Fri Jan 14, 2011 10:20 pm

Quote the Stamp Bulletin of the Ciskei Post Office.
"Troop Ships. An interesting part of the history of Ciskei is embodied in some sailing vessels of the previous century, when the territory was the scene of various conflicts between its inhabitants and the British Government and citizens of the Cape Colony. In their efforts to maintain local law and order in terms of a succession of agreements - some reached by negotiation, others by force of arms ‑ the British authorities had to maintain and supplement armed forces in what is now Ciskei".

The 50 cent stamp depicts the snow OLIVE BRANCH and the associated date is 1830. A snow called the OLIVE BRANCH was built at Cowes in 1818 and was 217 tons. It appears that her maiden voyage was from London to Haiti. In 1819 she was owned by R. Mount (probably her first owner) and Captain V. Kind was her master. She was a single‑decked vessel with beams and her deepest draft given was l5ft. In 1821 she sailed from London to Demarara. The 1822 Register gives the same owner and master but is amended to say she had sailed (obviously in 1822) from London to the Cape of Good Hope. She was completely repaired in 1825, and in 1827 her owner and master was Captain Murray. In 1827 she was sold by Murray, or his next of kin, to a Captain Anderson who was also her master (the Register is amended to 'Anderson' as master, and 'Capt' as owner). Also in 1827 the OLIVE BRANCH was fitted with two 'proved iron' cables. In both the 1827. and 1833 Registers she is listed 'London to Cape of Good Hope' but this information cannot be relied upon as being up to date. In 1833 she was owned by a person named Phillips but an Anderson was her master but he was replaced in 1833 (or, perhaps, in 1832) by a Captain Sherling. She was thoroughly repaired in 1832.
In 1840 she was owned by a Captain Cousins who was also her master. She was then registered in London and had sailed to Hull. She is not listed in the Register of 1848.
The OLIVE BRANCH, captain Anderson, arrived at the Cape of Good Hope on November 1 1830.

OLIVE BRANCH. A Snow of 217tn. which transported troops from Table Bay to Algoa Bay July 1830 under command of Capt. J Anderson. The muster roll records 6 officers, 8 sergeants, 9 corporals, 6 drummers, 138 privates, 10 women and 21 children.
She is shown with only three sails set on the fore and mainmast, sailing close hauled on the port tack.
With the help of Mr Benn of the World, Ship Society I have obtained the following additional information on this ship.
OLIVE BRANCH. Lloyds Register reported 21. 7. 1822 at Cape of Good Hope and nearly loaded for London, along with several other vessels, driven ashore in a gale of wind. Much of her cargo saved but the vessel has been condemned.
1st Jan 1823 C.G.H. ‑ a report states that the vessel has been got off and is undergoing thorough repairs. Mr Benn has checked Lloyds List to 31. 12. 1823 but no further reference is made regarding this vessel. No other information for OLIVE BRANCH.

The information is taken from Log Book April 1986 (E.J.Hogan) and February 1990. (A. Palmhof)
Ciskei SG84
Attachments
SG84
SG84

carlnielsen

Re: Olive Branch

Post by carlnielsen » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:38 am

Hello John
I’m writing a biography of William Schaw Lindsay (spelt Lindsey in the Lloyd's 1842 Register). From July 1839 until August 1841, he was the master of the Olive Branch, the snow that was built in Cowes in 1818. The vessel depicted on the Ciskei stamp looks very much like a snow and I think it’s the same one. Presumably the image of stamp was taken from a contemporary painting. It would be nice to get hold of that so that I could include it in the book but, failing that, an image of the stamp itself would look very good. Please tell me what I should do to be able to use it.
Regards, Robert Cutts, Bristol