Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

SANTA ROSA lake steamer 1903

The vessel depict on this stamp is given by Watercraft Philately as the SANTA ROSA on Lake Llanquihue, Chile.

In the year 1902 a group of people from Puerto Varas, Chile formed a partnership with the purpose of building a steamship to be used for service on Lake Llanquihue. The company was founded on 11 September 1902, which traded under the corporate name of "Sociedad Klenner, Niklitscheck and Company"; its initial capital was $ 50,000 and it consisted of 65 members. The new steamship, which was given the name of "SANTA ROSA was built by the firm Behrens, at Valdivia, and being the first steamship which was built entirely of iron on the lake. Its dimensions were 28 meters in length with a capacity of 80 tons; Fitted out with two masts, yards and sails which on her first voyages were used to increase her speed, later the sails were removed, because they were constantly exposed to the sparks coming from the funnel of the boilers that were fed with firewood, her capacity was 80 passengers The SANTA ROSA when completed was moved unrigged from Valdivia to Puerto Montt by sea. The transport overland from this city to the lake was not easy, because the road was narrow and in many parts with steep slopes that only with good oxen it was possible to overcome the transport problems.
It took several days for the transport over the road to reach finally her destination, in Puerto Chico, where she was rerigged and fitted out.
On 13 December1903, the SANTA ROSA was able to make her maiden voyage between Puerto Varas and Puerto Octay. It was a very scenic trip using steam engines and sails. In the middle of the journey, the ship suffered engine failure of a vital part of the machine, and was towed to port for repair.
The SANTA ROSA had several owners in a few years. The company was modified; some partners withdrew and others joined. The new company, which revolved with the name "José Matzner and others", was constituted in the month of November 1910. It keeps this name for three years.
January 1914 the company was acquired by Mr. Cristino Haase. The two wharves and warehouses that the company owned in Puerto Varas and Puerto Octay were also transferred with the steamship.
In 1915, Mr. Haase sold the SANTA ROSA to Mr. Augusto Minte and the value of the transaction amounted to $ 40,000, including some spare parts such as the propeller and others.
In September of the year 1918 it was acquired by Mr. Carlos Heim, after which the SANTA ROSA sailed without interruption until 1938 the year in which she underwent repairs and general modernizations. The machines were removed for a complete overhaul. The SANTA ROSA was lengthened to 36 meters. It was also modernized with accommodations for 150 passengers and adapted mainly for the service of tourists in comfortable and luxurious cabins. Also it was fitted out for the transport of all sorts of cargo in large holds.
Among his illustrious passengers, the Argentine Cardinal, Monsignor José L. Coppelo, is remembered. This representative of the Holy See, in his capacity as "papal delegate", on Sunday 02 November 1941, embarked in Ensenada to Puerto Varas accompanied by a select delegation.
From Buenos Aires, via San Carlos de Bariloche, he went to Santiago, to participate in the Eucharistic Congress of that year.
The "Santa Rosa" sailed until 1945, when she was sold; it was intended to unrig her and move it to Puerto Montt to put it in service between Puerto Montt and Puerto Aysen.
Out of service she remained half unrigged in Puerto Varas until a strong storm threw her on the beach where her last remains were abandoned.

Chile 1938 1.80p sg 275, scott206.

Sailing ships in the painting of Christoph Blossom

In 2010 Somalia issued a small sheet dedicated to the marine paintings of the artist Christopher Blossom.
Christopher Blossom
When a child has a father and grandfather who are both well known illustrators, it is likely the offspring will also become an artist. And when a boy starts to sail at the age of six, it is also likely that the artist might choose the sea and sailing ships as his subject. Such was the case for Christopher Blossom, who, by the time he left the Parsons School of Design and Robert Bourke’s Design Studio, could visualize a finished boat from only its plans—and draw the craft from any angle. Before Blossom was twenty, he had sailed under square rig aboard the brigantine Young America. Known for his complex, detailed compositions of ships at sea, Blossom combines his appreciation for the beauty and the menace of the sea with his love of maritime history and ship construction. Before Blossom paints a vessel, he is likely to study the ship’s blueprint to learn about it hull design, length, tonnage and deck layout. Blossom’s historically accurate ships and harbors are combined with color, light and composition to capture the mood of a voyage and convey the essence of the seafaring experience. At the age of twenty, he won a Gold Medal at the Society of Illustrators Scholarship Exhibition. His dual vocation of experiencing the sea and then painting both nautical history and some of the greatest modern places to sail, was truly launched. Blossom became both a charter member and an artist of the American Society of Marine Artists, serving as its president from 1983 to 1986. His awards include a Gold Medal from the National Academy of Western Art for his painting of ships in Monterey. Saluted as an undisputed master, Blossom has exhibited his art at the Gilcrease Museum, the Colorado Museum of History, the prestigious Prix de West Invitational and the Artists of America show. Blossom continues to achieve artistic honors including the Robert Lougheed Memorial Award at the 2001 Prix de West. Almost the only time he isn’t painting is when he is sailing, visiting ports of call in Maine, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Maryland, the Bahamas, California and Washington state. Blossom, who recently spent a year sailing around the Caribbean with his wife and two sons says of his love, "It’s not a hobby, it’s a way of life. When I look at the ocean, I get the same feeling pilots must get when they look to the sky." On the sheetlet shows the pictures:
1."Morning Star", Hudon´s Bay, 1864- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12594.
2. Among the rolling brakers.
3. "Allerton" on the East river- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16277.
4. "Benjamin Sewall" arriving in San Francisco Bay- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12580.
5. Boston Navy Yard- viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16276.
6. "Arthur James" heading out-viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16282.
7. Before the gale.
8. "Cutting in" in the Arctic.
Somalia 2010;(2500x8)Ms ... ype=artist


The stamp shows us Gorey Harbour on Jersey with in the background Mont Orgueil Castle, in the foreground a wooden hulled fishing boat under sail and two rowing boats around 1795.
They is one of a set of stamps issued by Jersey, all are designed after paintings made by Sarah Louisa Kolpac ... sa_Kilpack

Jersey 1989 13p sg 512, scott ?

SANTIAGO carrack or nao (1570)

In 1971 Portugal issued three stamps for the IV Centenary of the Martyr Missionaries of Brasil all three stamps have the same design, with in the top the SANTIAGO a carrack (also given as a nao) from around 1570, who transported the missionaries to Brasil. The group of missionaries was headed by Inacio de Azevedo, and Wikipedia has the following on this missionary, and the voyage to Brasil.

Blessed Inácio de Azevedo (1527–1570) was a Portuguese Jesuit missionary.

His life
His full name was Inácio de Azevedo de Ataíde e Abreu Malafaia and he was born in Porto from a wealthy family, being the eldest son of Dom Manuel de Azevedo and Dona Francisca de Abreu. One of his brothers, Dom Jerónimo de Azevedo, was Viceroy of Portuguese India from 1612 to 1617.
He was educated at the Portuguese court of King John III and at the age of 18 he became administrator of his family's estate. However, after attending the sermons and speeches of Jesuit priest Francisco Estrada he decided to renounce all his possessions, including the feudal honra of Barbosa, in the northern Portuguese province of Entre Douro e Minho
In 1548 he made an irrevocable choice of a religious life and entered the Society of Jesus where he was finally ordained in 1553. In 1565 Saint Francis Borgia charged him with full powers for the inspection of the Jesuit missions in the Portuguese colony of Brazil, a task that took him nearly 3 years to accomplish. He arrived in Bahia in August, 1566 and he proceeded to visit all the Jesuit missions in Brazil. He nominated Father Manuel da Nóbrega Provincial for Brazil and with Nóbrega and Blessed José de Anchieta he visited the missions in the cities of São Paulo and Rio de Janeiro whose foundations were then being laid. He thus spent two years of his life in Brazil.
In October 1568 he was back in Lisbon and in May 1569 he proceeded to Rome to report to Pope Pius V and Saint Francis Borgia. In his final report, Inácio de Azevedo asked for more people to be sent to the missions and Saint Francis Borgia thus ordered him to recruit new elements for the Jesuits in Brazil. Then, after several months of intense preparations that included meetings with King Sebastian of Portugal, Azevedo and his companions finally left Portugal for Brazil on the merchant vessel SANTIAGO on 5 June 1570, while another group of more than 20 companions boarded the military fleet of the newly appointed Governor General of Brazil.
During the trip to Brazil, on July 15, 1570 while sailing near the Canary Islands, the Santiago was attacked and captured by a fleet led by French Huguenot corsair Jacques de Sores off Fuencaliente Lighthouse. Following the capture, Azevedo and his 39 companions were massacred.

The Forty Martyrs of Brazil were blessed by Pope Pius IX on 11 May 1854. In 1999 40 concrete crosses at the place of martyrdom, about 200 ft off the Fuencaliente lighthouse were placed on the seabed by the government of the island La Palma. This place is situated in a depth of about 20 meters and is today a popular diving destination. Adjacent to the old tower, another monument for the Forty Martyrs of Brazil has been erected in the October 2014. This monument is a stone cross, with a plate on which the names of the martyrs are engraved.

Portugal 1971 1e, 3.30e and 4.80e sg?, scott 1116/18.


Dominica issued in 1989 four stamps and a miniature sheet for the Exposition Philatélique Mondale in Paris from 7 to 17 July,
The $1.00 stamp also in the ms shows us a French two decker warship from 1720 of which I have not any details or her career.

Dominica 1989 $1,00 and MS, sg 1228 and sgMS?, scott?

«Arthur James»-fishing schooner

Fishing schooner «Arthur James» had been built in 1905. She had seen sixteen seasons and four collisions, the most recent in 1916 off Castle Island, where she sank in fifty feet of water after being run down by steamer. Every spring around March, the seiners of the mackerel fleet would fit out and prepare to head south to meet the schools of mackerel off the Carolina capes. Then, through the summer, the fleet would pursue the schools north along the coast, finding them by autumn off Nova Scotia. The design stamp is made after painting of Christopher Blossom. In the picture we see: “This is a view of the schooner "Arthur James" leaving Gloucester just after the turn of the century. She is heading out of the harbor at sunrise with a blustery northwest wind. Behind her is the fort section of town. Around her, at anchor and throughout the harbor, the fleet prepares to get under way. With a full load of salt and one seine boat on deck and another towing astern, the "Arthur James" is bound south.”
Somalia 2010;2500. Source: asp?p=87&a=10&t. https://books. google. ru/ books?id=s2mBTh6mC.

Ariel 1865

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Ariel 1865

Postby john sefton » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:47 pm

Click image to view full size
Click image to view full size
The Ariel was No 162 at Robert Steele & Co's yard, Greenock, and was launched on 29 June 1865, having been ordered by Shaw, Lowther & Maxton of London. Her register dimensions were 197.4ft x 33.9ft x 21.0ft with a tonnage of 852.87.
The Ariel had her lower masts made up of three iron plates 1/2in thick without internal angle stiffeners; the fore and main were 30in diameter and the mizen was 28in diameter. The bowsprit was 30in diameter made up with three plates but stiffened inside with 4in X 3in X 7/16 in angles. Presumably a boy or man crawled inside as a 'holder‑upper' as the plates were being riveted together.
Later in her life, Titania had two deckhouses erected on her main deck to increase cargo capacity by taking the accommodation out of the 'tween decks; this is authenticated by an oil painting and by photographs. Perhaps the same thing was done to Ariel before she was lost in 1872. There is a large painting in the National Maritime Museum supposedly of her with two big deckhouses, but also with a long poop, a topgallant forecastle, double channels, topgallant rail, and headsails cut in the fashion of twenty years later. The figures painted about the decks are also too small for a tea clipper and suggest a vessel of 1500 tons with an American or Canadian pedigree. The Ariel's original sail area of 25,451 sq ft, excluding skysail and stunsails, was reduced later in her life to 23,471 sq ft.
Her only outward passage under 100 days was in 1866‑67 on her second voyage, but this was the fastest ever made out against the monsoon:
Left Gravesend 14 October
Left Start Point 15 October
Dropped pilot (noon) 17 October
Crossed the Line in 25°30'W 3 November
Passed meridian of the Cape in 44°S 14 November
Passed Island of Savoby 13 December
Passed through Gillolo Passage 23 December
Passed Pelew Islands and Bashees 3 January
Picked up pilot (9.0 am) 5 January
Anchored at Hong Kong (11.0 pm) 5 January
The time was 83 days, or 79 days 21 hours, pilot to pilot. Commenting on the public reaction to this passage, Captain John Keay wrote in his journal: 'Our 80 days (79 days 21 hours) from pilot to pilot & 83 from Gravesend to Hong Kong made quite a sensation in Hong Kong & at home when telegram reached, 'twas scarce believed. So Ariel up to present date has exceeded every other sailing ship, specially is extraordinary in NE monsoon.'
Cairngorm's fast run of 77 days at sea out to Hong Kong has already been mentioned, but Ariel's was the fastest allowing for an unfavourable monsoon and for making the passage at one attempt. Two other fast times were made by American ships in the 1850s. Eagle Wing took 83 days 12 hours in 1855, pilot to pilot, between leaving the Downs on 17 April and arriving at Hong Kong on 10 July. The previous year the Comet had taken 83 days 21 hours between her pilots from Liverpool to Hong Kong, 17 June to 7 September or 86 days 16 hours anchor to anchor. Both were made with the help of the monsoon.
Ariel early gained fame by being the first ship in 1866 to reach the Downs. She had loaded 1,230,900lbs of tea at Foochow at £5 per ton on 340 tons of iron kentledge and shingle ballast. Her bills of lading, like those of the other early starters, were endorsed for 'l0s per ton extra if first sailing vessel in dock with new teas from Foochow'. But she was unlucky with her tugs. She finished loading first and left at 5.0 pm on 28 May behind the paddler Island Queen. The tug was too weak to take her across the bar next day and she had to wait 24 hours during which Fiery Cross passed her, so that she eventually got across closely followed by Serica and Taeping, all three making sail at about 10.30 am. Taitsing left next day.
Fiery Cross made the best time to Anjer by one day and all five ships made big runs across the Indian Ocean, Ariel on one occasion logging 330 miles and Fiery Cross 328. The positions of the ships altered slightly, with Taitsing gradually catching up. She passed Flores on 1 September, the other four having passed it on 29 August. Ariel and Taeping ran up Channel logging 14 knots for most of 5 September. Ariel signalled her number off Deal at 8.0 am on 6 September, 98 days 22 hours from dropping her pilot. Taeping was off Deal 10 minutes later, and Serica not until noon. Fiery Cross arrived about 36 hours later. With her better tug Tae ping docked the same day at 9.47 am, Ariel at 10.15 pm, and Serica at 11.30 pm, just before the dock gates closed. The consignees must have been very loth to award the premium to either ship because with so much tea arriving at the same time on the market, prices would be sure to fall and a loss would be sustained. The premium was in future abandoned, after being divided on this occasion between Ariel and Taeping.
The following year Ariel obtained 10s per ton more freight than any other ship, and though not sailing with the first flight passed every ship ahead of her except Taeping and Fiery Cross. Her third passage was her fastest since she was only 95 days to 'off Falmouth'.
A résumé of her first four outward passages is as follows:
1865, Liverpool to Hong Kong, 4 September to 15 December, 102 days.
1866‑67, Gravesend to Hong Kong, 14 October to 5 January, 83 days (79 days 21 hours pilot to pilot).
1867‑68, London to Shanghai, 19 October to 5 February, 109 days.
1868‑69, London to Shanghai, 22 September to 8 January, 106 days.
The first three were made under Keay, the fourth under Courtenay.
Basil Lubbock copied Captain Keay's private journal and these hand‑written copies are now in the National Maritime Museum. They provide some informative background data on the ship's fittings and are summarized here:
There was so much brasswork that it took three to four men twelve hours to clean and oil it all round outside and inside rails, gun mountings, bucket straps, &c; there were eight side winches ; eight capstan bars of teak were fitted in rack on after side of deckhouse; pig house was stowed under longboat; hen coops kept under monkey poop but could be moved out for cleaning; there was a sheep pen, but position not stated; steering gear stated to have screw and guide rods which implies the standard wheel box of the period; bower anchors kept abaft windlass on main deck and brought on to forecastle when approaching land and painted red [this may have been done to distribute weights further aft]; sidelight screens placed in mizen rigging on three foremost shrouds; prior to entering port, all fancy gratings, buckets and racks, brass ventilator, standard of compass, headboards, boom boards, guns &c got on deck, and were put away when ship got to sea; spare spars stowed along waterways, three each side, and one each side of quarter hatch; 'lower ends of carved ornaments on house too fragile, shortened them a little' [perhaps this refers to acanthus leaves on pilasters]; manger situated at fore part of main hatch [presumably for animals]; temporary breakwater built across deck from side to side to protect wheel, binnacle, skylight and companionway when running the Easting down, as there was a lot of water on deck.
The only reference to colours of paint is that on the second passage the fore‑ and mainmasts were painted a stone colour as “owners had put on board different paint from first voyage”; also that waterways were painted cream.
As regards the setting of flying kites, all those pictured by the Illustrated London News were regularly set at different times and in addition there were: a main skysail, main sky staysail, jib topsail, save‑all to spanker, main middle staysail, watersail below ringtail, and a mizen staysail laced to the outside of a lower stunsail; the Jamie Green was cut from No 4 canvas similar to a main topgallant stunsail but with 3ft more hoist; the dews of the upper topsails were sometimes 'hove out and laced to head of lower topsails'; two spare topmast stunsail booms were lashed across fore hatch making a total length of 65ft as a passaree boom to haul out the sheet of the lower stunsails.
Captain Keay left the ship in the autumn of 1868 to take command of the company's new clipper Oberon and his first mate, Courtenay, took command. In 1870 Ariel was dismasted south of Yokohama on an intermediate passage. After refitting, Captain Courtenay left Yokohama for New York on 1 September, and going across the Pacific and by way of Cape Horn, he passed Diego Ramirez on 22 November and reached New York on 15 January 1871, 136 days out. In 1872 she left London for Sydney on 31 January and was never heard of again. It is usually assumed that she was fatally pooped when running her Easting down.

The Tea Clippers by David R MacGregor

Paraguay SG? Gren of Grenada SG2525
john sefton
Posts: 1764
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Re: Ariel 1865

Postby Anatol » Sun Feb 08, 2015 9:49 am

Click image to view full size
Click image to view full size
Click image to view full size
Аriel (Clipper)1865
Grenada /Carriacou &Petite Маrtinique 2001; $2,0; SG? Guinea-Bissau2011;100f;SG? Rwanda2013:800f;SG?
Posts: 552
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:13 pm

Re: Ariel 1865

Postby aukepalmhof » Mon Jan 16, 2017 8:53 pm

2016 Ariel and Taising Clippers (2).jpg
Click image to view full size
2016 ariel.jpg
Click image to view full size
Sierra Leone 2016 Le24000 and Le6000 sg?, scott?
Posts: 5471
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Ariel 1865

Postby Anatol » Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:33 pm

Click image to view full size
Cameroun 2016;300f;SG?
Posts: 552
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:13 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 58 guests