House Boat (River Mekong)

The full index of our ship stamp archive
john sefton

House Boat (River Mekong)

Post by john sefton » Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:24 pm

Originally these floating houses on the Mekong River were homes. They still are but now, they are more and more put to use for trips for tourists. The following is a tourists report of his holiday.
Is it a "slow boat" or a "house boat"? When our kids were young someone reminded me of the old saying, "the family that plays together, stays together". This got me thinking and it didn't take me long to work out that an excellent pastime that involves and gives pleasure to the whole of the family is boating.
Our kids have long left the nest, but it worked for us for years, and I still have a great love of "messing about in boats". When I get back from a few days fishing on in the tropical wetlands bordering Kakadu National Park, close to where I live, in answer to the inevitable question "how did it go?" I always answer "great, a truly magic trip", (usually followed by "caught no fish"). For me getting out on the water is the thing, fishing is just the excuse.

On a recent 8 week backpacking trip around SE Asia my fondest memories are of boat trips, with the highlight being a two day "slow boat" trip down the mighty Mekong river from northern Laos to the old capital of Louang Prabang. The boat was a cargo boat of a design that has been used for centuries, as both a home and a means of earning a livelihood for the owner and family. Our boat was converted to passengers as western backpackers are a prize cargo these days.

The slowly unfolding scenery, the unhurried life on the river, the time to think and sketch and snooze is what it's all about. The truly unique places that you can see and visit, only via this method of transport.

If you are thinking of a house boat trip, stop thinking and start planning, you'll be glad you did!

Taken from an internet tourist blog.

Laos SG397
Attachments
397.jpg
06.jpg

Everett

Re: House Boat (River Mekong)

Post by Everett » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:12 am

House Boat
House Boat
6.jpg (11.83 KiB) Viewed 1213 times