Click image to view full size
Built as a passenger- cargo vessel under yard No 1974 at the Neptune Works by Swan, Hunter & W. Richardson, Low Walker, River Tyne, for Companhia Nacional de Navegação (CNN), Lisbon, Portugal.
22 September 1960 launched as PRINCIPE PERFEITO, named after King John II of Portugal (1455-1495) who renamed the southern tip of South Africa, Cape of Good Hope.
Tonnage 19,393 grt, 10,618 nrt, 8,630 dwt., dim. 190.43 x 23.96 x 13.57m., length bpp 173.7.
Powered by two Pametrade steam turbines, manufactured by Parsons Marine Work Co. Ltd., 21,000 hp. twin screws, speed 20 knots.
Accommodation for 200 first, 264 second, 536 tourist passengers, crew 319. When needed she could carry also 200 troops.
Cargo capacity 184,680 cubic ft. and 21,400 cubic ft. reefer space.
31 May 1961 delivered to owners.
27 June 1961 made her maiden voyage from Lisbon to West and East Africa, her usual voyage, made calls at Funchal, Sao Tome, Luanda, Lobito, Mogamedes, Capetown, Lourenco Marques and Beira before returning to Portugal.
06 July 1964 she transported President Americo Tomas of Portugal for an official visit to Mozambique.
She made occasionally a cruise; her first cruise was from 29 June to 3 July 1962 from Lisbon to Funchal and return.
1974 CNN merged with three other shipping companies in Portugal and the Principe Perfeito was transferred to the new company Companhia Portuguesa de Transportes Maritimos (CTM).
She was kept in her original service to west and east Africa from Portugal.
End 1971 till January 1974 used for several cruises from Durban to the Indian Ocean.
14 June 1975 arrived from her last voyage from Angola in Lisbon, thereafter laid up
1976 Sold to Far Eastern Shipping Co. Ltd., Bahamas but again sold in April 1976 to Global Transportation Inc, Panama.
Sailed to her builders on the Tyne River for conversion to an accommodation ship for 820persons, renamed in AL HASA.
14 June 1976 sailed from the Tyne to Damman, Saudi Arabia where she was used as a stevedore accommodation ship till April 1979.
April 1979 sold to Fairline Shipping Corporation S.A. (Sitmar Line), Liberia and renamed FAIRSKY.
The intention was to rebuild her in a cruise vessel but the plans did not materialized and instead she was in January 1981 laid up in Itea, Greece.
1981 renamed by the company in VERA.
1981 Sold to Saphio Shipping and Trading Corp. S.A. (John Latsis), Piraeus, Greece, renamed in MARIANNA IX, named after one of his daughters.
30 June 1982 arrived at Jeddah where she was used as an accommodation ship.
June 1982 she was moved to Rabigh, Saudi Arabia.
1984 Her name changed to MARIANNA 9 (Miramar gives name change in 1987.)
1986 Send to Kalamata, Greece to be used as an accommodation ship for earthquake victims, later that year she returned to Rabigh.
During the 1990s sold to Bilinder Marine Corporation, Piraeus, Greece.
30 May 1992 laid up in Eleusis Bay, Greece.
2001 Sold to India scrap merchants, she arrived 08 June 2001 in Alang, India and was scrapped by Goyal Traders.
Angola 1970 1e50 sg696, scott565 (the ship in the background is the INFANTE DOM HENRIQUE)
Portugal 2012 0.68 Euro, sg?, scott?
Source: http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SS_Principe_Perfeito
Merchant Ships World Built Vol X 1962.