INSTITUTE OF CHARTERED SHIP BROKERS - 150th YEARS

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

INSTITUTE OF CHARTERED SHIP BROKERS - 150th YEARS

Post by aukepalmhof » Sun Mar 23, 2014 3:58 am

150th YEARS OF INSTITUTE OF CHARTERED SHIP BROKERS

The Sri Lanka Post issued a set of stamps in 2012 to commemorate the 150th Years of Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers.
The stamp depict a full rigger a passenger ship and a container vessel which till so far are not identified.
By the issues the Sri Lanka Post gives:
Being an island nation Sri Lanka was heavily depend on her Shipping Industry for promotion of the expert/import trade with her overseas trading partners and for the development of her economy. No wonder therefore, the local shipping industry was buzzing with activity day in/day out. Up to about the early nineteen eighties professionals in shipping were rarely found in the island. It was around this time and sensing the lacuna, the management of the Ceylon Shipping Corporation (CSC)- the National Carrier – formulated a policy decision which made it mandatory for its staff (clerical and middle management level) to qualify the examinations conducted by the “Institute of Chartered Shipbrokers (ICS) – UK” to be eligible for promotion in the hierarchy of the organization. In order to facilitate this process and also assist the aspirants who desired to qualify; the management of CSC provided a well-equipped library including study material required for these examinations. Having followed a traditionally set process of shipping practices that existed in the local industry which had evolved over the decades; this move by the CSC was to revolutionize the approach to many issues that emanated in the industry, come future. And it did as it subsequently turned out.

From Mr. Crichton I received the following:
I am not sure about the sailing and container vessels but I believe the passenger ship is an artist's impression. It appears to combine old and new features and there have been no two-funnelled passenger ships built over the last 30 - 40 years that resemble the ship shown on the stamp.

Sri Lanka 2012 5.00 Rs sg?, scott?
Attachments
Image (3).jpg