HEART OF AMERICA US 51

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

HEART OF AMERICA US 51

Post by aukepalmhof » Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:13 pm

HEART OF AMERICA was built as a 12-metre class yacht by Merrifield-Roberts Inc. boatyard, Bristol, Rhode Island for the Heart of America Challenge Syndicate Inc., Newport RI.
She was representing the Chicago Yacht Club, Chicago, Illinois.
Designed by Graham Gretsky, MacLane & Schlageter.
08 May 1986 launched in Newport R.I as the HEART OF AMERICA (US 51)
Displacement 25.9 ton, dim. 20.51 x 3.71 x 2.71m. (draught), length on waterline 13.99m.
Sail area 161.47 m².
The syndicate’s first challenge was to obtain a ruling from the New York Supreme Court that Lake Michigan on which Chicago laid was an arm of the sea, as required by the Deed of Gift for the Cup.
After completing she sailed for two weeks after completing, and then was taken by truck to Chicago, Illinois. At Chicago without unloaded from the truck was she christened on the truck, never touching the waters of Lake Michigan.
After the christening was she transported to San Francisco where she sailed on trials prior to being shipped to Freemantle, Australia, where she competed with skipper Harry C, “Buddy” Melges Jr.in the 1987 America Cup challenger eliminations, finishing eight.
The last time I find her was in the Los Angeles Time, where is given in the edition of 03 June 1990 she raced in San Diego Bay against two other America Cup yachts the AMERICA II and STARS & STRIPES “86 in which HEART OF AMERIC was the winner.
Since 1993 is she in Turkey.
2014 Can’t find a trace of her.

Solomon Islands 1986 $1 sg570a, scott570i

Source: Watercraft Philately 1988 page 69. Internet.
Attachments
Image (196).jpg