CUMBERLAND privateer 1757

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

CUMBERLAND privateer 1757

Post by aukepalmhof » Mon Nov 24, 2014 8:18 pm

CUMBERLAND (or DUKE OF CUMBERLAND is given in Jersey Sailing Ships) I did find both names for the ship which was used as a privateer under command of Captain Philip Seward in 1757.
The Jersey Post gives by this stamp:
In 1757 the CUMBERLAND under Captain Seward chased a large French ship across the Bay of Biscay. The French captain however, decided not to engage in a fight and the entire crew of 30 men lowered the ship’s boats and rowed away. Seward ordered his crew to row across to the abandoned vessel but a storm blew up and they were never seen again leaving Seward with insufficient crew to continue his privateering pursuits.
The CUMBERLAND was owned by D. Messervy in Jersey and of 70 tons and used as a privateer from 1757-58 under command of Captain Seward. She lost one man in action Jean Arthur.
She was armed with 10 carriage guns and 10 swivel guns.
From the net I got that on 10 June 1759 the DUKE OF CUMBERLAND under command of John Ellsworthy imported 348 slaves in Barbados, if she is the same vessel I can’t find, the name CUMBERLAND and DUKE OF CUMBERLAND are very common in the ship registers.
Fate unknown.
(I believe the ship in the background is the French ship, she looks a little too large for a 70 ton vessel and the boat in the foreground is the shipsboat from the CUMBERLAND rowing to the French abandoned ship.)

Jersey 2014 69p sg?, scott?
Source: Jersey Sailing Ships by John Jean. Jersey Post.
Attachments
Image (21).jpg