CUMBERLAND QUEEN schooner 1919

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

CUMBERLAND QUEEN schooner 1919

Post by aukepalmhof » Sun May 24, 2015 8:50 pm

I found in it Suralco Magazine 2014 page 55 that the first shipment of bauxite from Moengo, Surinam to the United States of America was loaded on board the schooner CUMBERLAND QUEEN in 1922. The 730c stamps shows a four-mast schooner and I believe she is depict.
By the article was given a photo which looks she is the vessel depict on the stamp.
The CUMBERLAND QUEEN a four-mast wooden schooner was built by Robinson & Pugsley in Diligent River N.B., Canada, could not find an owner.
Tonnage 634 tons, dim. 179.0 x 38.0 x 13.2ft.
1919 Completed.
The first time I found her in Lloyds Registry was in 1930/31.
There is given her name as EMERETT ex CUMBERLAND QUEEN and she was then owned by M.Dacosta Roberts, with homeport Baltimore, USA. Tonnage given as 659 ton.
L.R. 1931/32 gives that she is damaged in port, and then she is not more mentioned in L.R.
So most probably too expensive too repair, and scrapped.

I found this on the internet:
Built in 1919 in Diligent River by C. Robinson this 4 masted schooner has a unique distinction as “The ship that wouldn’t stay down.” An intriguing tale. In 1921 the Cumberland Queen was carrying a cargo of salt around Cape Hatteras North Carolina. A storm was blowing in and the vessel began to list and take on water. The crew, realizing they were in trouble, hailed to shore for help and were rescued however the vessel sank. Insurance was paid out and the crew moved on.
Fast forward about 1 year to a dory of men fishing off the cape. Suddenly beneath them the water starts to roil and beneath them rises the 4 masted Schooner, The Cumberland Queen! The men claimed salvage rights and the vessel was towed to Virginia for refurbishment and sailed for many more years. A beautiful painting by Robert Bourque of this vessel can also be seen at the museum.

https://novascotia.ca/archives/communit ... asp?ID=192

Suriname 1996 750c sg1704, scott1070.
Source: various internet sites and Lloyds Registry.
Attachments
cumberland queen.jpg
Image (14).jpg
Image (15).jpg