OLYMPIA and CZARINA

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

OLYMPIA and CZARINA

Post by aukepalmhof » Mon Jun 22, 2015 8:57 pm

The OLYMPIA difficult to find some details on her, given in Log Book that she was a German vessel from Hamburg, by looking in American and Lloyds Registers the only German OLYMPIA I could find was built in 1857 at Brake, Germany.
Tonnage 608 ton and dimensions 142.6 x 30.6ft.
Barque rigged, the photo shows a brigantine rigged vessel.
Of her voyages also not much found, in 1859 she made a voyage from Hannover (most probably most of the emigrants were coming from Hannover which is very far inland and the departure port was Hamburg) to Melbourne with emigrants. At that time she was under command of Captain A. Tobias and owned by C.A.H. Tobias & Co., Brake, Germany. Most probably the captain was the owner.
I could not find anything more on the vessel than what is given that she was abandoned near the coast of Tristan da Cunha after springing a leak in 1872, the crew reached Tristan da Cunha in open boats and were taken on board of a passing ship a few days later.

Tristan da Cunha 1985 60p sgMS389. The photo is believed the OLYMPIA.

The CESARENA P or CZARINA another wreck on this MS was an Italian ship of which I have not any info on, she was on a voyage from Leghorn to Bombay when she runs ashore on the west coast of Tristan da Cunha in December1872.
Attachments
Tristan da Cunha wrecks.jpg
Olympia_ed3.jpg