REHOBOTH ARM 16 hoogaars

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

REHOBOTH ARM 16 hoogaars

Post by aukepalmhof » Thu May 26, 2016 11:30 pm

Post NL gives by this miniature sheet:
Arnemuiden The five identical stamps with a value denomination of 1 for mail within the Netherlands feature typical objects and buildings found in the town of Arnemuiden: the Hoogaars ARM 16 (pictured), a church bell (pictured) and the Dutch Reformed Church’s astronomical clock (pictured), with the sea below. Pictured at the bottom is an image of a cod. The image is spread across the stamp and the back of the sheet. The top and bottom parts of the stamp are linked together by a traditional fishing net in a contemporary bright colour. The background of the stamp sheet contains images of various Arnemuiden landmarks, including an anchor, a stone lion with a shield featuring Arnemuiden’s coat of arms, the front wall of the station, a historic flag of the city, the Kotter ARM 44 NEELTJE JANNETJE, a light buoy, the historic shipyard with its surrounding houses, the statue of the female fish pedlar, the Nooitgedacht windmill and a typical Arnemuiden prawn basket. The strip of sea pictured on the stamps has been extended horizontally across the sheet like a tile panel. In the body of water shown at the bottom, we see the cod in the bottom stamp as well as other species of fish. Pictured from left to right: a mussel, a herring and a North Sea prawn. The font used is Oxide by FontFont, designed by Christian Schwartz (2010).

The “hoogaars” ARM 16 depict on the stamp, could not find anything, only that she was fishing early in the 1900s
The “hoogaars” is used as a cargo and fishing vessel in Belgium and the Netherlands from the 16th century. Now only used as a yacht. The “hoogaars” used in Arnemuiden (in the longitudinal direction) had a curved bottom and a steeper stem than the other “hoogaars” in the Netherlands, which allows the type a higher bow and did give the type more sheer. She took less water than the other types and was lighter and faster.The type was first rigged with a sprit rig later replaced with a gaff rig (as seen on stamp). She had no bun. Carried a drop rudder which moved up along the tiller when the craft grounded.
From 1860 the hoogaars at Arnemuiden was mostly used for shrimp fishing and the oyster cultivation.
Most of the “hoogaars” of Arnemuiden were built on the shipyard of Meerman at Arnemuiden and were about thirteen meters long and 4.3 meters wide.

Source: http://www.debinnenvaart.nl/binnenvaart ... e_hoogaars

Thanks to Mr. D.v. Nieuwenhuijzen I got her name and when built.
She was built under the name REHOBOTH ARM 16 in 1911 for account of Skipper Lieven van Belzen in Arnemuiden.

15 February 1918 when the ARM 16 was fishing in the Oostgat she caught a mine in her net, the mine was taken carefully out of the net and anchored. A just passing Dutch torpedoboat was informed and she steamed to Vlissingen (Flushing) to inform the Dutch Navy Authorities there. The pilot boot No 14 under command of Captain Vader and equip to defusing mines was ordered to investigate and defuse the mine. When she arrived by the fishing vessel she took the ARM 16 in tow and went looking for the mine. The mine was found off Westkapelle. When the navy officer on board the pilot boot was transferred from the pilot boat to the ARM 16 the pilot boat hit a mine. The consequences were terrible, seven men were killed on board the pilot boat under which Captain Vader and the pilot boat was lost. Of the four men crew of the REHOBOTH, skipper Lieven van Belzen his son (17) Cornelis van Belzen and a deckhand Hendrik Marijs were killed, one crewmember and the navel officer were rescued..
The REHOBOTH ARM 16 was also lost that day, she sank.

Source Zierikzeesche Nieuwsbode of 18 February 1918.

The body of the skipper was found on 05 May 1918 by the ARM 28 in their net and transported to Vlaardingen, his son was never found.

(Nederland 2016, sgMS?, scott?
Attachments
2016 Arnemuiden.jpg
hoogaars.jpg
2016 hoogaars arm 16.jpg
Last edited by aukepalmhof on Sat May 28, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen

Re: HOOGAARS ARM 16

Post by D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen » Fri May 27, 2016 7:19 pm

REHOBOTH (ARM 16)
Built in 1911 for Lieven van Belzen, Arnemuiden.
No more info