Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.


The class was built as a nuclear attack submarine by General Dynamics Electro Boat Co., Groton for the USA Navy. Of this class three were built commissioned between 1997 and 2005. The last JIMMY CARTER had another tonnage and dim.
Displacement 7,460 tons standard, 9,137 tons full load, dim. 1007.6 x 12.9 x 11m. (draught).
Powered by one S6W PWR nuclear reactor, 52,000 shp, one shaft, pumpjet propulsor, speed + 35 knots.
Range, unlimited, endurance, till food supplies run out.
Diving depth + 800 feet.
Armament: 8 – 26 inch torpedo tubes, 40 torpedoes, 50 missiles or 100 mines.
Crew 140.
More on this class of three ships is given on:
2018 Al three are in active service.

I believe the USS CONNECTICUT is depict on this stamp. See photo and stamp. When I am correct the tugboat is the harbour tug USS NATCHITOCHES (799).

Solomon Islands 2016 $12.00 sg?, scott?

«Allerton»- iron full-rigged ship

An iron full-rigged ship built in 1884 by Oswald, Mordaunt & Co., Southampton, as Yard No. 224. Dimensions 83,17×12,23×7,50 meters and 1936 tons under deck.
In 1885 the Captain J. Gyllencreutz was appointed.
In 1910 sold to owners in Valparaiso, Chile, for £ 2600 and converted into a hulk.
The design stamp is made after painting of Christopher Blossom. In the picture we see: “The year is 1897 and the iron hull rigger "Allerton" makes her way up the East River, viewed from the piers of South Street. The last of the late afternoon sun just catches her toward her berth. The crew of the "Allerton" stands by on the fo-c'sle while some bystanders watch with perhaps some professional curiosity.” "Allerton" was typical of many latter day sailing ships being squeezed out of business by the competition with steam.
Somalia 2010;2500. Source: ... ype=artist.

Boston Navy Yard

The earliest naval shipbuilding activities in Charlestown, Massachusettsacross the Charles River and Boston harbor to the north from the city of Boston , began during the American Revolutionary War (1775-1783). The land for the Charlestown Navy Yard was purchased by the United States government in 1800 and the yard itself established shortly thereafter. The yard built the first US ship of the line , "USS Independence" , but was primarily a repair and storage facility until the 1890s, when it started to build steel ships for the "New Navy". By then, it was called the Boston Navy Yard. Forty-six ships have been constructed in the Boston Navy Yard, the first vessel launched being the sloop of war Frolic in 1813, and the latest the Whitney, a destroyer tender, launched in 1923. Additional vessels have been constructed for other governmental departments. No. 1 drydock, built of granite, completed in 1833 was the first drydock built in this country, and the first vessel to enter it was the famous frigate Constitution. The U. S. S. Constitution, or "Old Ironsides" as it is commonly referred to, was built by the act of Congress which authorized the building of six frigates in the year 1793. Work has commenced on the frigate at "Moulton's Point," former name of the navy yard, in 1794 and she was launched in 1797. This famous old ship participated in forty battles and never suffered defeat. In 1927 work of rebuilding her was undertaken at this yard. The necessary funds for the rebuilding were raised by popular subscription, in addition to an appropriation of three hundred thousand dollars authorized by Congress in 1930 to complete the work. In the late 1880s and 1890s, the Navy began expanding again bringing into service new modern steel hulled steam-powered warships and that brought new life to the Yard. The design stamp is made after painting of Christopher Blossom.
Somalia 2010;2500.
Sources: ... e-barracks

DOLPHIN INS submarine

This stamp shows us a Dolphin class submarine of the Israeli Navy, the stamp is designed after a few design alternations were made in the design after a photo on: and shows us the DOLPHIN the lead ship of her class.

Built as a submarine by Thyssen Nordsee Werke in Emden, Germany for the Israeli Navy.
07 October 1994 keel laid down.
12 April 1996 launched as the INS DOLPHIN.
Displacement 1,640 ton surface, 1,900 ton submerged, dim. 57.3 x 6.8 x 6.2m (draught).
Powered: Diesel electric by 3 diesels, 4,243 shp, 3,164 kW., one shaft, speed 20 knots.
Test depth more as 350m.
Armament: 6 – 533mm torpedo tubes and 4 – 650mm torpedo tubes. She has the capacity to carry anti-ship missiles, mines, decoys and stn Atlas wire-guided DM2A3 torpedoes. The surface-to—surface missile is the submarine launched Harpoon which delivers a 227 kg warhead to a range of 130 km at high subsonic speed.
Crew 35 and 10 additional.
She was fitted out at the HDW yard in Kiel, Germany, and completed on 31 July 1999.

2018 Still a unit of the Israeli Navy and in service.

Source: Wikipedia and internet.
Solomon Island 2016 $12 sg?, scott?

SEVERODVINSK (K-560) submarine

On this stamp issued by the Solomon Islands in 2016 four submarines are depict, of which one shows us one of the Russian Severodvinsk class, there is not a Severodvinsk class submarine in the Russian Navy, the SEVERODVINSK is a ship of the Yasen-class.

She was built as a nuclear attack submarine by SevMash at Arkhangelskaya oblast, Severodvinsk for the Russian Navy.
1993 Laid down.
15 June 2010 launched as the SEVERODVINSK (K-560) one of the Yasen-class.
Displacement 5,800-7,700-9,500 ton surface, 8,200-13,800 submerged. Dim. 120 x 15 x 8.4m. (draught)
Powered by 1 KPM type pressurized water reactor ?kW, speed 20 knots surfaced, 28 knots (silent) submerged and maximum speed submerged 35 knots.
Armament: 8 – VL.S equipped silos for either 32 (8 x 4) Oniks or 40 (8 x 4) Kalibr-PI anti-ship, anti-submarine and land attack submarines launched weapon. Kh-10 cruise missiles. 10 torpedo tubes (8 x 650mm and 2 x 533mm).
Crew 90.
30 December 2013 commissioned. A unit of the Northern Russian Fleet.

K-560 SEVERODVINSK is a Yasen-class submarine nuclear attack submarine of the Russian Navy. The construction of the submarine started in 1993 and was first planned to be launched in 1998. However budgetary problems delayed the construction for years, and it was only launched on 15 June 2010. SEVERODVINSK began sea trials on 12 September 2011. The submarine returned from her first voyage by 6 October 2011.
SEVERODVINSK's torpedo-launching systems have been fitted behind the compartment of the central station.[
Trials and Operational History
On 7 November 2012, the boat (while submerged) successfully launched a Kalibr cruise missile (anti-ship version) at a sea target in the White Sea. Later that same month the submarine successfully test fired two additional (land attack) cruise missiles. The first land attack SLCM was launched on 26 November 2012 from a surfaced position and a second two days later from a submerged position.
SEVERODVINSK was handed over to the Navy in late December 2013. The flag-raising ceremony was held on 17 June 2014 marking its introduction into the Russian Navy.[
In November 2014 the submarine successfully tested its rescue capsule which surfaced from a depth of 40 metres (130 ft) with five crew members inside.
SEVERODVINSK became combat-ready in early 2016. At the end of April 2016 and in August 2017, K-560 conducted drills using 3M14 missiles.

Source: ... verodvinsk
Solomon Islands 2016 $12.00 sg?, scott 2080a.


Guinea Bissau issued a set of stamps with inland steamships. Guinea Bissau is a country which supplies us with an avalanche of stamps each year.

Built in 1911 in Nizhny-Novgorod for service on the Northern Dvina River.
Length : 110 m, breadth 14 m, draught 1.4 m
Engines : Triple expansion with cylinders of 38, 61 and 110 cm and stroke of 110 cm and generating 380 hp and a normal top speed of 18 km/hour.
Rarely in use but is available for charter and in recent years has been chartered for cruises generally of 2-3 nights by a local travel agency. In 2010/11 she was under internal renovation costing 40 million roubles and returned to service in 2012 offering a 7-night river tour in June and a three-night trip in July from Archangelsk for the Pomor Tours company.
2018 In service. She is better known as N.V. GOGUL.
Guinea Bissau 2009 600 FCFA sg?, scott?

Abandoned slaves Tromelin Island

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Abandoned slaves Tromelin Island

Postby Anatol » Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:22 pm

Click image to view full size
Tromelin Island, or Île de Tromelin, is a low, flat, uninhabited island that is a part of the Îles Éparses (Scattered Islands) archipelago in the southwestern Indian Ocean, about 280 miles (450 km) east of Madagascar. On November 17, 1760, the retired French warship Utile sailed out of the harbor at Bayonne in southwestern France and headed for Mauritius or Île De France, as it was then called. In July 1761, the Utile reached Madagascar and dropped anchor to replenish supplies. At that time, France was in the midst of fighting the Seven Years' War with Great Britain, and the governor of Île de France was expecting an attack at any moment from India. Even though the governor had banned the import of slaves at the time, fearing food shortages if there was a siege, the captain of the Utile , Commander La Fargue, brought on board at least 150 Malagasy slaves anyway.
With its illegal cargo, the Utile then departed Madagascar and set sail east for Île de France. Sometime shortly thereafter, the ship was caught in a violent storm. Blown off course by the bad weather, the ship wrecked on the submerged coral reef which breaks ground as Tromelin Island. One of the contemporary gazettes described the shipwreck: “Traversing a host of dangers, most of the crew succeeded in reaching the island. Almost all were injured, maimed, and covered in bruises; they were specters rather than men.
At the beginning of their exile, the 122 survivors, sailors and slaves, salvaged wood from the wreck as well as whatever tools and supplies they could find. They built a forge and dug two wells, the “thick, white, milky liquid from the first proving to be toxic.” (ibid). At least, food proved not to be a problem. The survivors trapped and ate sea birds and caught one of the 500-kilo sea turtles that lived on the island.
Just two months after the wreck, the survivors managed to build a raft. The shipwreck victims named the raft “Providence;” however, the raft was not big enough to accommodate all the survivors. It could carry the Frenchmen, but it could not accommodate the 60 slaves. So, the French sailors boarded hopefully, arms around each other so they could all fit, with a small amount of food. About 60 men and women, all slaves, were left on the island, with a “writ testifying to their services” and a promise from the Frenchmen that they would return and rescue them. The Governor of the Ile de France was so angry a the captain of the Utile for disobeying him that he refused to send a ship to Tromelin Island to rescue the abandoned slavesThe governor of Île de France was an official of the French East India Company and had banned slave importation, and despite the pleas from the French gentlemen and sailors of the Utile and the arguments of several local dignitaries in favor of the rescue, he refused. After waiting in vain for rescue for two years, the desperate survivors built a raft, and 18 of them sailed for home. No one knows if they ever reached land. In 1773 or 1774, when the shipwreck victims were long forgotten, a passing ship spotted signs of life on Île des Sables. Upon this news, the new governor of Île de France—who was more humane than his predecessor, having been appointed by the King of France and not the French East India Company—dispatched the vessel Sauterelle to the rescue. But it failed in its attempts to approach the little coral island, surrounded by waters 13,000 feet (4,000 meters) deep. Two sailors headed for shore in a canoe but smashed up against a reef. One sailor managed to swim back to the ship, the other was left on the island. According to the women who were later finally rescued, the sailor and the last three male survivors then built a raft. The four men, with three of the women, sailed away from the island. They were never seen again. On November 29, 1776, the Chevalier de Tromelin commanded the corvette La Dauphine to the island and found there eight survivors of the wreck of the Utile : an eight-month-old baby boy, his mother and grandmother, and five other women. La Dauphine carried the women and baby back to Île de France, where they were questioned about their ordeal by French officials. The governor insisted that the castaways were not slaves but free people, since they had been bought illegally in the first place. He even adopted the family of three and named the baby boy Jacques Moïse. Sometime after the rescue, the island name of Île des Sables was changed to honor the Chevalier de Tromelin for his brave search and rescue efforts and, since then, the island has been called Île de Tromelin, or Tromelin Island.
TAAF 2017;1,55е.
Posts: 549
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:13 pm

Re: Abandoned slaves Tromelin Island

Postby aukepalmhof » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:44 pm

Posts: 5464
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Anatol, Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 40 guests