SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year. Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

TUNE VIKING SHIP

150th Anniversary of the Tune Viking Ship Finds
150 years have passed since the first Viking ship was excavated in Norway. Archaeologist Oluf Rygh excavated the Tune ship in only 14 days from the ship burial mound in Tune. Archaeologist Even Ballangrud Andersen describes the ship: “The ship is made from clinkered oak planks, a style that was common to the Nordics. Its mast was placed just behind midship and both stern posts were raised. A special chamber had been built for the man interred in the ship and all of his burial gifts and weaponry.”
By analysing the growth rings, the ship was dated to between 905 and 910 A. D. After the ship was excavated in 1867, it was placed on a barge and sent to Fredrikstad before continuing on to Christiania. After many years in poor storage, it was moved in 1930 to its permanent home at the Viking Ship Museum in Oslo. Later research has concluded that the ship most likely had twelve strakes and was a fast warship used to quickly transport people.
In terms of Norway’s maritime history, the Tune ship was the first indication that the stories passed orally through the years were true. Today the Viking ships stand as iconic witnesses to more than 1,000 years on the seven seas.

Norway 2017 inland mail sg?, scott?
http://wopa-stamps.com/index.php?contro ... e&id=35767

Clipper ship RACER 1851

The era of the clipper ships was dominated by a sense of romance, competition, national pride and innovative technology. The sleek and graceful ships were a symbol of modernity in America and a fundamental part of the expanding global economy. Their design concentrated on speed instead of cargo capacity, which was a great benefit to shipping companies eager to transport goods quickly. Often ship owners or Captains would commission portraits to commemorate their vessels. The RACER was a 1700 ton ship built in 1851 by Currier & Townsend at Newburyport, Massachusetts under the superintendence of her experienced commander, Capt. R. W. Steele, formerly of the packet ship Andrew Foster, and previously of the U. S. Navy. She is 207 feet long, has 42-1/2 feet breadth of beam, 28 feet depth of hold, is 7 feet high between decks . It was the first and largest ship to be built specifically for the trade route between New York and Liverpool for the St George Line. The Racer is well known from her having made the fastest passage between New York and Liverpool. Her best day's run has been 394 miles. It was fitted out with passenger accommodation and cargo space in the hold for freight. She is provided also with large loading ports, one on each side in the upper, and two on a side in the lower between decks. The RACER involved in freight and passenger transport to Australia. The “Racer” sank in 1856, after going ashore on Arklow Bank. Fortunately, all five hundred passengers and crew members were rescued. The design stamp is made after painting of Dawson, Montague
Djibouti 2013;300f.
Source:http://trove.nla.gov.au/work/37454888?q&versionId=48848168. http://www.maritimeheritage.org/ships/C ... html#Racer. https://springfieldmuseums.org/collecti ... l-currier/

DIANA packet ship

The stamp of Belize shows us a brig and as given on the stamp the packet ship DIANA is depict.
Lloyds Registry was not so helpful there were around that time 2 or 3 pages in Lloyds with the ships name DIANA but nowhere by that name was given if it was a packet vessel.
If she is the DIANA which is depict is doubtful I could not find any image of the ship, but the Falmouth Post Office packet ships were mostly brig rigged, and the stamp shows us a ship of that time. It looks that she was chartered by the Post Office as a packet but when and till in service I could not find.

The book “The Falmouth Packets 1689-1851 by Tony Pawlyn mentioned her twice
In 1810 she parted her anchor cable during a severe storm over the West of England, and was nearly driven ashore.
22 September 1811 she sailed for Martinique.

In 1806 the DIANA was under command of Gibbons.
1813 Her captain is given as Parsons, 190 ton and owned by Capt. & Co, Whitehaven. Till 1818 was he the captain. Built in New York?.
1819 Her owner given as Symonds and under command of Captain Sleeman
1822 Same name, owner and captain.
1824 Lloyds Registry don’t mentioned her more.

Belize 1985 75c sg849, scott?
Source: Lloyds Registry 1813-1824.

BAEK MA GANG (North Korea)

Built in 1979 by Nampo Shipyard, for Korea Suhyang Shipping Co. Ltd. Nampo.
General Cargo, Dw:2740, Nt:1429, Dw:4309, Loa:100,26m. B:14m. Draft:6,40m. 1 diesel: hp.? 4x2 derricks, IMO.7944683.
20-03-2010 transferred to Paekmagang Shipping Co. Ltd. Pyongyang, renamed PAEK MA GANG.
2013 By Korea Suhyang Shipping Co. Ltd. sold to Chinese breakers and arrived Shidao, Shandong on 16-04-2013.

(North Korea 2013, 15 Won, StG.?)
Internet + LR97/98

JACQUELINE- four-masted barque 1897.

A splendid four-masted steel barque, the Jacqueline a representative vessel of French build, launched in February 1897 from the yards of Forges et Chantiers de la Mediterranean at La Seyne for the wealthy firm of Paris shipowners A D Bordes and Sons and registered at Dun-kirk. Rigged with royal sails over double top and topgallant sails. Used in the South American nitrate trade.The vessel is from Marseilles and has done some fine sailing. She left on May 23,1897 sailed from Mareilles to Australia with a cargo of tiles, she had contrary weather to clearing Gibraltar June 10. After that crossed the equator July 1 in 32 38 W. Poor S E trades were met. On July 8 in 17° S , the new ship was hove to in a S S W gale for 30 hours, and it was nine days later when thev shaped east.Then commenced some excellent running. Captain Leonetti, having a new ship under himn was anxious to find what she was capable of doing with the result that tho ship is stated to have logged 15 knots per hour for four days.The prime meridian was crossed on July 24, and S S W to N W winds were carried right along to August 21 to Tasmania. Here she was becalmed and met with head winds,but it will be seen that the ship sailedI from Greenwich meridian to Tasmania in 28 days, or over 5 degrees per day right through or a 13 knot speed for the 28 days. After a most tedious time off Tasmania she picked up a sou'-wester on September 1. On that date at 8pm a sailor named Sahun fell overboard from the foreyard, A lifebuoy was thrown, and it was caught, and the man was rescued under circumstances given elsewhere. A fine run was made up the coast. The ship is an excptionally fine one being fitted up for saloon passengers in very handsome cabins which are aft, and are constructel of mahognnv, birdsoyo maple and violet ebony. The cargo-workmg appliances and the navigating deck gear are of tho most modern labour-saving kind. A running flying bridge from the poop to the foremast is built over all and the crew have most comfortable quarters in deck-houses. There are two engines - one for cargo working and tho other connected with the ballast tanks and with condensing apparatus. She is 322ft long, 45ft 7in beam and 25ft 4in deep and it is an ideal of the proportions of this most handsome vessel. 1906 sailed from Barry to Iquique in 72 days. 1907 towed against the Loup lighthouse in the Bristol Channel by two tugs which straddled the lighthouse. The Jacqueline damaged the bowsprit which was repaired at Falmouth. 1917 July 1 Left Iquique under Captain Y. Niolas with a cargo of nitrate for La Pallice. 1917 September 25 The British steamship Victoria warned the captain of the Jacqueline for submarines in position 46°25'N, 13°10'W. After the war it was established that she had been sunk by the German submarine U-101 in the Bay of Biscay the following morning. The design stamp is made after painting of John Bentham Dinsdale. .
Malawi 2013;250k.
Source:http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/14120744. http://www.bruzelius.info/Nautica/Ships ... eline(1897).html.

BRIG-SCHOONER

The stamp inscription gives “brig-schooner” but she is rigged as a hermaphrodite brig, a term used in the late 18th centuries for a vessel that carried as many as 5 square sails on the foremast and a fore-and-aft mainsail with a gaff topsail. Numerous staysails between the masts and jibs to a long bowsprit. The type is now usually called a brigantine.

Somalia Republic 1998 300 SH SO sg?, scott?
Source: Aak to Zumbra a dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

S-44

The full index of our ship stamp archive

S-44

Postby john sefton » Mon Apr 17, 2017 2:21 pm

S-44.jpg
Click image to view full size
USS S-44 (SS-155) was a third-group (S-42) S-class submarine of the United States Navy.
Her keel was laid down on 19 February 1921 by the Bethlehem Shipbuilding Corporation's Fore River Shipyard in Quincy, Massachusetts. She was launched on 27 October 1923 sponsored by Mrs. H. E. Grieshaber, and was commissioned on 16 February 1925 with Lieutenant A. H. Bateman in command.
1924-1941
S-44 operated off the New England coast into the summer of 1925. In late August, she departed New London, Connecticut, for Panama and on 5 September arrived at Coco Solo to join Submarine Division (SubDiv) 19. With the division, she conducted training exercises, participated in fleet exercises and joint Army-Navy maneuvers, and made good will visits to various Caribbean and Pacific, Latin American ports until the spring of 1927. From that time to December 1930, she operated out of San Diego with her division, interrupting exercises off southern California twice for fleet problems in Hawaiian waters.
In December 1930, the S-boat was transferred to Hawaii where her division, now SubDiv 11, was home ported for four years. The boats then returned to San Diego, California and in 1937 were shifted back to Coco Solo.
World War II
In the spring of 1941, as American involvement in World War II increased, the Panama S-boats were ordered back to the east coast for overhaul. With sister ships S-42 and S-46, S-44 proceeded to New London, Connecticut, and in November went to Philadelphia, where the work was completed.
Trials took S-44 into the new year, 1942 and on 7 January, she got underway to return to Panama. Arriving on 16 January, she departed Balboa on 24 January with S-21, S-26, and S-28, to conduct a security patrol in the western approaches to the canal. Within a few hours, however, she was engaged in rescue operations for S-26, which had been rammed and sunk by submarine chaser PC-460.
First patrol, March 1942
From Panama, the division (now SubDiv 53) was ordered to the southwest Pacific. Starting across the Pacific in early March, the boats reached Brisbane in mid-April, and within ten days, S-44 was on her first war patrol. She cleared Moreton Bay on 24 April. Three days later, her port engine went out of commission, but 36 hours of hard work and ingenuity put it back in operation. On 29 April, she began running submerged during the day and surfacing at night to recharge batteries and allow fresh air into the non-air-conditioned boat. By 2 May, she was in her patrol area, New Britain-New Ireland waters. Six days later, she sighted a ship through a haze of rain and launched two torpedoes which missed. She attempted to close the range. However the surface ship easily outdistanced her. The next afternoon, she attempted to close on a Japanese destroyer, east of Adler Bay, but again was easily outrun. On 10 May, off Cape St. George, she closed on another target but was sighted and attacked.
In late afternoon of 12 May, 15 miles (24 km) from the cape, she encountered a merchantman and a trawler escort. For the first time, the weather, her position, and the target's course were all in her favor. She launched four torpedoes while surfaced and hit with two. She then submerged. The Shoei Maru, a salvage vessel of over 5000 tons was sunk. The Japanese escort attacked S-44 and dropped sixteen or more depth charges, none of which was close. On 14 May, S-44 headed home, arriving at Brisbane on 23 May.
2nd patrol, June 1942
Another overhaul followed, and on 7 June she left of Moreton Bay on a course for the Solomon Islands. Within the week, she was on patrol off Guadalcanal, operating from there to Savo and Florida Island. A few days later, she shifted south of Guadalcanal and on 21 June sank the converted gunboat Keijo Maru. At 14:15, S-44 fired her torpedoes. Just 3 minutes later the enemy aircraft dropped a bomb which exploded close to the submarine, bending the holding latch to the conning tower and allowing in 30 gallons of sea water. This damaged the depth gauges, the gyrocompass, and the ice machine, besides causing leaks. The number-one periscope was thought to be damaged; but when the submarine surfaced a Japanese seaman's coat was found wrapped around its head.
Three days later, S-44 was in Lunga Roads. On 26 June, poor weather set in and blanketed the area until she turned for home. She departed her patrol area on 29 June and arrived at Moreton Bay on 5 July.
3rd patrol, July 1942
S-44 departed Brisbane on 24 July. Cloudy weather with squalls set in. On 31 July, she commenced patrolling the Rabaul-Tulagi shipping lanes. The next day, she sighted a convoy off Cape St. George, but heavy swells hindered depth control and speed, and prevented her from attacking. From Cape St. George, S-44 moved up the east coast of New Ireland to North Cape and Kavieng, where she waited.
On 7 August, the American offensive opened with landing of the 1st Marine Division on the beaches of the Solomon Islands of Guadalcanal and Tulagi. On 9 August, off Savo Island, Cruiser Division 6 of the Imperial Japanese Navy had inflicted one of the worst defeats of the war on American and Australian surface ships.
The next morning, the victorious enemy cruisers neared Kavieng, bound for home. At 07:50, S-44 sighted the formation of four heavy cruisers at less than 900 yards (800 m). At 08:06, she fired four Mark 10 torpedoes at the rear ship, only 700 yards (600 m) away. By 08:08, three torpedoes had exploded and the heavy cruiser Kako was sinking. S-44 had claimed the largest Japanese man-of-war in the Pacific War to date.
Three days later, S-44 was again fighting heavy swells. Her damaged bow planes required three hours to rig out, where they were left. On 23 August, she moored at Brisbane. With one ship sunk on each patrol so far, she set a record no other S-boat would match.
4th patrol, September 1942
On 17 September, now in the hands of Reuben Whitaker, S-44 began her fourth war patrol. The following day, a hydrogen fire blazed in her forward battery compartment, but was extinguished in three minutes. On 22 September, she began surfacing only at night, and, two days later, took patrol station off New Georgia to interdict Japan's Faisi-Guadalcanal supply line. During the patrol, her hunting was hindered by Japanese aerial and surface antisubmarine patrols and her own operational capabilities, which were further limited by material defects and damage inflicted during depth chargings.
On the morning of 4 October, she attacked a destroyer, then survived an intensive depth charge attack with seemingly minor damage. When she submerged the next day, however, the submarine began taking water. She surfaced, made repairs, then submerged to 50 feet (15 m). Leaks were found in her motor room and torpedo room flappers. The latter were jacked shut, but the former continued spraying water onto both motors. Within an hour, four Japanese destroyers had moved into the area. S-44 went to 70 feet (21 m). The leak worsened. The motors were covered in canvas and sheet rubber and the crew waited for the destroyers to pass over her position. As they disappeared, S-44 moved up to 55 feet (17 m) and repairs were made on the flapper. That night, further repairs were made while the ship was surfaced off Santa Isabel Island; and, by midnight, the S-boat was en route back to her patrol area. On 7 October, bad weather set in; and, on 8 October, she departed the area, arriving in Moreton Bay on 14 October.
Overhaul
A month later, S-44 departed Brisbane and headed back to the United States. In early January 1943, she transited the Panama Canal, then moved across the Caribbean Sea and up the Atlantic seaboard to Philadelphia. There, from April to June, she underwent overhaul; and, in July, she retransited the Canal en route to San Diego and the Aleutian Islands.
5th patrol, September 1943
She arrived at Dutch Harbor on 16 September. On 26 September, she departed Attu on her last war patrol. One day out, while en route to her operating area in the northern Kuril Islands, she was spotted and attacked by a Japanese patrol plane. Suffering no damage, she continued west. On the night of 7 October, she made radar contact with what she thought was a "small merchantman" and closed in for a surface attack. Several hundred yards from the target, her deck gun fired and was answered by a salvo. The "small merchantman" in fact was the Shimushu-class escort Ishigaki. An emergency dive was ordered, but the submarine failed to submerge. She then took several hits in the control room, the forward battery room, and elsewhere.
Reluctantly, S-44 was ordered abandoned. A pillow case was raised from the forward battery room hatch as a flag of surrender, but the Japanese shelling continued.
Only two men escaped the sinking ship. Chief Torpedoman's Mate Ernest A. Duva and Radioman Third Class William F. Whitemore were picked up by the enemy destroyer. They were taken first to Paramushiro, then to the Naval Interrogation Camp at Ōfuna. The men spent the last year of World War II working in the Ashio copper mines and survived to be repatriated by the Allies at the end of the war.

Wikipedia
john sefton
 
Posts: 1697
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot] and 80 guests