UZICE JUGOSLOVENSKA LINIJSKA PLOVIDBA

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

UZICE JUGOSLOVENSKA LINIJSKA PLOVIDBA

Post by aukepalmhof » Tue May 09, 2017 9:30 pm

This stamp issued by Yugoslavia in 1950 shows us a cargo vessel loading or discharging cargo alongside a quay in a port.
The funnel markings give that she is a ship of the Jugoslovenska Linijska Plovidba, Rijeka, some sources give that she is the HRVATSKA built in 1945 as the ST LAWRENCE VICTORY but the stamp clearly shows us a ship with a steel superstructure with a wooden wheelhouse, the HRVATSKA did not have a wooden wheelhouse, so I am sure she is not depict, by comparing photos on line of the Jugoslovenska Linijska Plovidba fleet I could not find a matching one. Mostly around the 1950s ships with wooden wheelhouses where not often more built, so it must be one around or before that time when the stamp was issued.

Yugoslavia 1950 5d sg 667, scott?
Source: Internet
Attachments
1950 unknown cargo ship  1 (2).jpg
Last edited by aukepalmhof on Wed Mar 08, 2023 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aukepalmhof

Re: JUGOSLOVENSKA LINIJSKA PLOVIDBA UZICE

Post by aukepalmhof » Fri May 12, 2017 8:03 pm

Thanks to Mr. Dies van Nieuwenhuijzen who sent me a photo of the Jugoslovenska Linijska Plovidba ship UZICE, he believes she is depict on the stamp. By comparing the photo with the stamp I agree.
She has a wooden wheelhouse, her bulwark is extended before the superstructure and special her long ventilation shafts on both side of the wheelhouse, of which one is clearly visible on the stamp.
Built as a cargo vessel under yard 573 by J&S Schiffswerft, Hamburg for “Ozean” Dampfer AG, Flensburg, Germany.
? Launched as the SCHLESWIG-HOLSTEIN, not any sister ship.
Tonnage 2,745 gross, dim. 100.2 (lpp) x 13.8m.