MEZICA MINE watercraft

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

MEZICA MINE watercraft

Post by aukepalmhof » Wed May 31, 2017 9:40 pm

Tourism - Mežica Mine
Slovenia participates very successfully in the EU tourism initiative known as EDEN, which stands for "European Destinations of Excellence". Thanks to this initiative, the EU is seeing the emergence of a network of destinations and regions that are consistently developing a positive form of tourism that is friendly to both people and nature. A form of tourism that is in some ways the antithesis of major European and world tourist attractions. Through the EDEN initiative we give people the opportunity to discover un-spoilt nature and participate in forms of tourism that are nonaggressive, that do not generate a "tourist industry", that play a part in shaping sustainable development and help maintain the biodiversity of the European environment. It is worth noting here that Pošta Slovenije is the only postal operator to issue stamps on this theme: the Tourism series, in fact, features destinations in Slovenia that have been selected as EDEN winners or finalists.

The present stamp features a recent finalist: "Underground Peca". Mining in the numerous shafts and galleries under Mount Peca – extending over a total length of more than 800 kilometres – finally ceased in 1993. Lead and zinc ore had been mined under Peca since Roman times, while the first written record of lead being extracted here dates from 1424. The mine was one of the last major lead-and-zinc mines in Europe. Since being closed, the mine has discovered a new vocation as a tourist attraction. Visitors enter the mine by train, which carries them a distance of 3.5 kilometres, and then continue their tour of the mine on foot. Along the way, there is also time for a "miner's breakfast". Two unique activities for tourists to try are cycling through mine tunnels and kayaking through sections that have filled with clear water since the mine closed.
http://wopa-stamps.com/index.php?contro ... e&id=35480

I think the depicted watercraft is a canoe and not a kayak.
A canoe is a small boat, that is often driven by manpower or womanpower, but also commonly sailed. Canoes are pointed at both ends and usually open on top, but can be covered. Canoes are known as "Paddle boats" in some small towns in the south of Australia. The use of a paddle or "salvatore" is used to propel the vehicle. The most famous of rowers include the Szwedo of Luke in which he was the first man to complete 4 laps the woodend river in less than 3 days, beating the record of 4 laps in 4 days.
The canoe is propelled by the use of paddles, with the number of paddlers depending on the size of the canoe (most commonly 2). Paddlers face in the direction of travel, either seated or kneeling. In this way paddling a canoe can be contrasted with rowing, where the rowers face away from the direction of travel. Paddles may be single-bladed or double-bladed.

Source: Wikipedia.
Slovenia 2017 1.40 Euro sg?, scott?
Attachments
2017 kayak in Mezica Mine.jpg