SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

CANOE PROW MAKING BY MAORI

Canoe Prow.
This 1d stamp shows us the making of a canoe prow by the Maori in New Zealand before 1800 by which the New Zealand Post gives:
When it is considered that the Māori did not process metal tools and relied upon stone and bone, the intricacy and beauty of the wood carving that was produced is incredible.

New Zealand 1906 1d sg 371, scott ?.

ISLAND BAY N.Z. and fishing boats.

New Zealand issued in 1983 four stamps which shows us paintings made by Rita Angus, one of this stamps has a maritime theme, it shows us the Island Bay near Wellington, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_Bay,_New_Zealand with in the bay fishing boats, which are locally known as the Italian wooden fishing boats. Since the late 19th century Italian emigrants settled in Island Bay (little Italy) many commenced fishing from the bay in the Cook Strait After the 1960s the Italian fleet declined and 2018 there are not more Italian boats in the bay.
Of this issues the New Zealand post gives. This issue of stamps featured the works of Rita Angus whose meticulous compositions in oil and water-colours earned her the reputation as a leader of the modern school of New Zealand painting.
Rita Angus, born in Hastings, and received her early arts skills training at Palmerston North before moving to Christchurch where she attended Diploma classes at the Canterbury School of Arts from 1927-1931. She lived in Christchurch until 1954 when she moved northwards to settle in Wellington, leaving it for one year in 1958 to study and work in Europe. Throughout her career she made frequent painting trips throughout New Zealand, especially to Central Otago and Hawke's Bay.
In the early part of her career she often depicted aspects of Wanaka, a region of particularly serene beauty in New Zealand's South Island. It has been suggested that she turned to watercolour during the war years because paintings in that medium were more saleable when people had less money and also because of a shortage of imported artists materials, but the fact is that the artist was equally at home with both watercolours and oils using them alternatively until the end of her career.
Rita Angus died in 1970 at the age of 62 years following a lifetime devoted to art. In a newspaper obituary Mr Melvin Day, the Director of the National Art Gallery, stated "Her influence on painting in this country was wholly beneficial, not only because of her achievement in art, but above all for her artistic integrity and independence". But perhaps the last word should be left to the artist. In the Year Book of the Arts, 1947, Rita said her aim was "to show to the present a peaceful way, and through devotion to visual art to sow some seed for possible maturity in later generations."
This stamp issue featured four stamps with her artwork and the issue coincided with the first major touring exhibition of works by the artist, which was organised by the National Art Gallery in Wellington. The four paintings chosen to feature on the stamps came from different stages of the artist's career, spanning forty years, in the medium of watercolours and oils. A presentation pack was also issued on 27 April and featured the four stamps. The pack was done in a vertical format, which comformed to the stamp issue. A self-portrait of Rita Angus featured on the front cover.

https://stamps.nzpost.co.nz/new-zealand ... -paintings
New Zealand 1983 24c sg1312, scott?

WSD 42 111K AFRAMAX tanker design

The last stamp of the set of Cuba did give me some problems, there are many red hulled tankers but most photo’s shows the ship forepart.
But at least the large white funnel did give me the clue, the funnel did have not an owners logo, so most probably it was a vessel under construction.
I found a photo on the net for a tanker design from Wartsila Ship Design which shows the ship I was looking for only the free fall lifeboat was not in the same position as on the stamp, but she is the vessel on the stamp. If already one ship of this design is sold, I am not sure.

The design is known as WSD 42 111K an Aframax tanker for oil and products.
Tonnage 50,500 gt, 98,200 dwt, dim. 252.80 x 44.80 x 20.80m, length bpp.244.20m, draught 13.60m.
Powered by a Wärtsilä engine, 10,400 kW, speed 14.5 kn.
Accommodation for 32 persons.

More info is given on: https://www.wartsila.com/products/marin ... max-tanker (click on download datasheet.)

Cuba 2017 85p sg?, scott?

CAMPEON tanker

The 50p stamp shows the tanker CAMPEON. The clearest identification is what looks like a crow’s nest in the foremast.

Built under yard no 17 by Astrilleris. Espanoles (AESA) at Puerto Real, Cádiz, Spain for Cia Arrendataria del Monopolio de Petroleas S.A. (CAMPSA), Madrid, Spain.
23 June 1979 launched as the CAMPEON one sister the CAMPONUBLA not any photo gives the last with the orange marking above the bridge windows.
Tonnage 14,863 grt, 22,353 dwt., dim. 166.0 x 24.2m.
One Sulzer 6RND68 diesel engine, 9,900 hp, speed 14.5 knots.
September 1979 delivered to owner, homeport Gran Canaria. IMO No 7711646.

15 August 1980 while it was loading petroleum products, at the Galp Setubal refinery , it suffered a fire followed by a series of explosions, three crew members died and five technicians from the refinery were injured.

2004 Sold to Maritima de Panama SA, Panama and renamed MARGARITA B.
15 June 2006 arrived Chittagong, Bangladesh for scrapping.

Source: http://www.miramarshipindex.nz and internet.
Cuba 2017 50p sg scott?

ABERDEEN shuttle tanker

Built as a double hulled shuttle tanker under yard no 306 by Ast. Espanoles (AESA), Sestao, Spain for Getty Maritime Inc., Monrovia.
09 February 1996 laid down.
15 July 1996 launched under the name ABERDEEN.
Tonnage 47,274 grt, 26,719 nrt, 87,055 dwt., dim. 221.8 x 36.8 x 21m., length bpp.210m.
Powered by 2SA 7 cyl. type 7S60 MC6 engine, 14,314 kw, one shaft, speed 14.5 knots. Two bow-thrusters and one stern thruster.
Crew 34.
Loading capacity 80,500 m³.
18 December 1996 completed. Under Bahama flag and registry, homeport Nassau.

Used in the North Sea.
2018 In service, same name and owner, IMO No 9125736.

Source: http://www.miramarshipindex.nz Internet.
Cuba 2017 35p sg?, scott?

BORDER TARTAN or BORDER THISTLE

For the 10th Anniversary of the reactivation of the oil refinery Camilo Cienfuegos the refinery was named after Camilo Cienfuegos (a photo van hem also on the stamp on the left) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camilo_Cienfuegos Cuba issued in 2017 four stamps which shows us the refinery with in the foreground oil tankers used to supply and transport the oil to and from the refinery. The inscription under the stamps translated in English gives for the 15p “coastal tanker”, the 35p “shuttle tanker”, (ABERDEEN), the 50p a “multipurpose tanker” CAMPEON and on the 85p “handy size tanker” WSD 42 111k AFRAMAX tanker design.


The 15p stamp shows us the BORDER TARTAN or BORDER THISTLE both built by the Damen shipyard in Galati, Rumania. It are sisterships which is depict I am not sure.
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16306#!lightbox[gallery]/0/

BORDER THISTLE: built as a tanker under yard no 1036 for Darwin Shipping Ltd., Jersey.
01 October 2003 laid down.
16 July 2004 launched as BORDER THISTLE.
Tonnage 3,248 grt, 1,273 nrt, 4,988 dwt., dim. 85,32 x 17,00 x 8.95m. Length bpp. 79.9m, draught 6.30m.
Tank capacity 5,211m³.
The empty hull was towed to the Damen yard in Bergum, Netherlands for fitting out under yard no 9355.
Powered by one MAK 8M25c 8 cyl. 2,400 kW, one shaft, speed 12 knots.
26 January 2005 completed, homeport Isle of Man.

04 June 2010 sold to Sociedad Naviera Ultragás Ltd., Santiago, Chile and renamed DON PANCHO
2018 In service same name and owners, IMO No 9287819.

BORDER TARTAN: built as a tanker under yard no 1037 for Darwin Steaming Ltd., Douglas, Isl of Man.
15 October 2003 laid down.
26 August 2004 launched as BORDER TARTAN.
Same details as the BORDER THISTLE.
The empty hull was towed to the Damen yard in Bergum, Netherlands for fitting out under yard No 9356.
02 March 2005 completed.

21 October 2010 sold to Podravina Shipping Inc. Valparaiso, Chile, renamed in DON GONZALO I
2018 Same name and owners IMO No 9287821.

Source: http://www.miramarshipindex.nz and internet.
Cuba 2017 15p sg?, scott?
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

ISE battleship

The full index of our ship stamp archive

ISE battleship

Postby aukepalmhof » Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:38 pm

ise battleship.jpg
Click image to view full size
1999 ise.jpg
Click image to view full size
The stamp of 80Y is one out of a Japanese miniature sheet for the 1914-1920 Millennium set, the design of this stamp was adopted from a part of “Shonen Gunkan Sugoruku” (Japanese battleship board game for boys by Kawabata Ryushi 1885-1966), and represent the First World War and shows in the foreground the Japanese battleship ISE at that time the newest and most powerful ship in the Japanese Navy.

Built as a battleship on the Japanese shipyard Kawasaki Heavy Industries, Kobe for the Japanese Imperial Navy.
10 May 1915 laid down.
12 November 1916 launched as the ISE, named after the Province Ise, one sister the HYUGA.
Displacement 31,760 ton standard, 37,100 ton full load, dim. 208.2 x 28.7 x 8.93m. (draught), length bpp.195.7m.
Powered by two sets Brown-Curtis steam turbines, 45,000 shp, four shafts, speed 23 knots.
Range by a speed of 14 knots, 9,680 mile.
Armament: 6 – 356mm, 16 – 140mm, 12 – 76mm, 4 – 76mm AA guns and 6 – submerged 533mm torpedo tubes.
Crew 1,198.
15 December 1917 completed.

ISE (senkan)), was the lead ship of the two-vessel ISE-class battleship of the Imperial Japanese Navy, which saw combat service during the Pacific War. ISE was named after Ise Province, one of the traditional provinces of Japan, now part of Mie Prefecture.

Operational history
Early histor
Originally planned to be the third Fusō-class battleship, experience gained in the construction of the Fusō class revealed a number of design issues, including weak armament and protection, which forced a redesign and new classification.
ISE was laid down at the Kawasaki Heavy Industries shipyard in Kobe on 5 May 1915, launched on 12 November 1916, and completed on 15 December 1917 and assigned to the Kure Naval District.
Completed too late for service in World War I, in the early 1920s, ISE participated in numerous patrols off the Siberia coast and in northern waters in support of Japan's Siberian Intervention against the Bolshevik Red Army.
On 12 April 1922, while at Yokohama, ISE hosted a delegation which included the Prince of Wales (the future Edward VIII), who was accompanied by his second cousin, the future Lord Mountbatten of Burma. From the mid-1920s through the late 1930s, ISE patrolled mostly off the China coast.
In 1928-1929, ISE was rebuilt at the Kure Naval Arsenal, with its foremast increased in height in the distinctive "pagoda" style similar to HARUNA. The fore funnel was fitted with a curved smoke cap, and a flying off platform for Yokosuka E1Y2 Type 14 floatplanes was fitted atop No. 5 main turret. Later, from 1930–1931, additional searchlights and a derrick was installed at the stern for handling floatplanes.
However, a more complete upgrade occurred from 20 November 1931 – 10 February 1932 at Kure Naval Arsenal, which involved shortening the mainmast top section, replacing all the 76 mm (3.0 in)/40 cal AA guns with eight Type 89 127 mm (5.0 in)/40 cal AA guns (4x2), and adding four Vickers Type 40 mm (1.6 in) AA guns (2x2). The shielded 140 mm (5.5 in)/40 cal guns from the forecastle deck were removed and a catapult and aircraft handling crane were fitted to the fantail. On 14 May 1933, a second catapult and three Type 90 seaplanes were added.
From 1 August 1935, ISE was drydocked at Kure Naval Arsenal and underwent an extensive reconstruction and modernization. The 24 mixed-fired (coal and oil) boilers were replaced by eight new Kampon oil-fired boilers and new Kampon geared turbines were fitted. Maximum speed increased to 25.4 kn (47.0 km/h; 29.2 mph) (25.21 kn (46.69 km/h; 29.01 mph) was reached during trials). The fore funnel was removed and stern lengthened by 7.62 m (25 ft). Anti-torpedo bulges were added and her six submerged torpedo tubes were removed. The maximum elevation of ISE's main battery (with the exception of the aftermost turret No. 6) was increased to 43°. Two forward 140 mm (5.5 in) casemate guns were removed, as was done with most other Japanese warships during this period, due to their exposed nature in heavy seas. The elevation of secondary guns was increased from 20° to 30° and range increased from 15,800 m (51,800 ft) to 19,100 m (62,700 ft). Four 40 mm (1.6 in) Vickers AA guns were replaced by 10 Type 96 twin 25 mm (0.98 in)/60 cal AA guns. The original catapult was replaced by a Kure Type No. 2 Mod. 5 catapult and the aircraft handling deck was extended. Reconstruction was completed by 27 March 1937.

Start of the Pacific War
Despite these efforts at modernization and upgrading, ISE was still considered obsolete by the start of the Pacific War due to her relatively slow speed, large crew, and short range, and never saw combat as a battleship. ISE participated in the attack on Pearl Harbor (albeit on a sortie from Hashirajima as far as the Bonin Islands) and pursued but did not catch the American carrier force that had launched the Doolittle Raid on 18 April 1942.
In May, ISE had an accident which flooded her No. 2 engine room. During repair work, ISE was fitted with one of the first experimental model Type 21 radar sets in the Japanese navy.

Reconstruction
To partially compensate for the loss of carrier strength at the Battle of Midway, Navy Aircraft Department began plans to convert the ISE-class battleships to full-sized aircraft carriers each carrying 54 planes. This concept was abandoned due to lack of time and resources and a hybrid battleship/carrier concept was adopted. ISE was dry-docked, and her aft No. 5 and No. 6 main turrets were removed and replaced by a hangar surmounted by a 70 m (230 ft) long flight deck and a "T"-shaped aircraft elevator. This was long enough to permit the launch of aircraft, but not their recovery. Two 25 m (82 ft) Model 11 catapults were installed on tall supports on the port and starboard sides forward of the flight deck. A collapsible derrick crane was fitted port abaft (two cranes were originally planned but installation was not carried out). It was realized that a single faulty aircraft engine could ruin the whole concept, so, to prevent jams, the deck was fitted with two rails to each catapult, 12 turntables, trolleys and tie-downs. Plans called for the new hangar to carry nine planes inside, with 11 on deck and one on each catapult. The new deck was covered with 200 mm (7.9 in) of concrete to compensate for the unbalanced condition created after removal of the aft armament. A 1 m (3 ft) thick layer of concrete was also poured around the main and reserve steering rooms and a 150 mm (5.9 in) horizontal armor cover was added.
Additional anti-aircraft weapons were installed to better fight off aerial attack. The eight single 127 mm (5.0 in) DP guns were replaced with eight twin-mounts, and the Type 96 25 mm (0.98 in) AA guns were increased from 20 to 57 (including 19 triple-mounts). Type 21 air-search radar and two Type 22 surface-search radars were also installed. As modified, ISE could carry 22 aircraft. The operational concept envisioned ISE accompanying the Kido Butai (Carrier Strike Force), and launching its 11 Yokosuka D4Y2 SuISEi ("Judy") dive bombers and 11 Aichi E16A Zuiun ("Paul") seaplanes that are capable of diving attacks to add another 44 bombers to the Strike Force. The SuISEi had to land either on a conventional carrier or on land bases, whereas the E16A could be hoisted back aboard using a crane, after landing near the ship. ISE's final aircraft allowance called for 14 E16As and eight D4Y2s.
The rebuild was officially completed on 8 October 1943; however, as training with the new pilots was not completed by autumn 1944, ISE was never used in its new configuration in an operational mission. Its aircraft were offloaded to land bases, and ISE continued to be used as a pure battleship in the cover force.
ISE made a sortie to Truk in October 1943, conveying a detachment of the IJA 52nd Division and supplies.
In a refit in Kure in May 1944, 47 additional Type 96 25 mm (0.98 in) AA guns (12 triple, 11 single mount) were added, bringing the total to 104 guns. Two Type 2 IFF units were also installed. In July, two Type 13 air-search radar and an E27 Radar detector were installed. From the end of September 1944, six racks of 30-tube, 127 mm (5.0 in) anti-aircraft rocket launchers were added. The rockets had multiple incendiary shrapnel charges and a timed fuse.

Battle of Leyte Gulf and afterwards
ISE was slightly damaged in October 1944 in the Battle off Cape Engaño, during which ISE's gunners shot down five of the 10 attacking dive bombers, suffering from one small hit on the No. 2 turret. ISE's anti-aircraft cover was ineffective, and by the end of the battle, USN aircraft had sunk the Japanese aircraft carriers ZUIKAKU, ZUIHÖ and CHITOSE, and the destroyer AKIZUKI. Towards the end of the battle, in the fourth attack, ISE was attacked by 85 dive bombers. After 34 near misses, ISE's hull plates near the waterline ruptured and port boiler rooms were damaged; a bomb damaged the port catapult, and five crewmen were killed, with 71 wounded.
After returning to Japan, from 29 October, the aft catapults were removed to improve the firing arcs of the No. 3 and No. 4 turrets.
ISE was dispatched south to Lingga and Singapore in early 1945 for Operation Kita. On the approach to Singapore, ISE was slightly damaged by a naval mine. In Operation Kita, ISE, her sister ship HYUGA and cruiser ÖVODO were loaded with critically needed strategic war supplies (oil, rubber, tin, zinc, and mercury) and evacuate 1,150 oil field personnel back to Japan. ISE arrived back safely in Moji on 19 February 1945, having evaded or escaped pursuit by twenty three Allied submarines along the way,
Final role
From 25 February 1945 until the surrender of Japan, ISE remained docked at Kure, without fuel or aircraft, and repainted in a camouflage olive green with splotches. The camouflage was not effective against USN Task Force 58 carrier-based aircraft on 19 March 1945, when more than 240 aircraft attacked Kure and ISE was hit by two bombs. Re-designated as a fourth-class reserve ship on 20 April, ISE was towed to Ondo Seto (between Kure and Kurahashijima) to serve as a floating anti-aircraft battery. She was attacked again on 24 July by 60 carrier-based aircraft, whose bombs hit the starboard bow, flight deck, main deck, No. 3 turret and bridge, killing Captain Mutaguchi, other bridge officers and around 50 crewmen. On 28 July, in another attack on ISE, she was struck by five 450 kg (1,000 lb) bombs dropped by F4U Corsairs from USS HANCOCK, and eleven more bombs dropped by other aircraft from TF 58. ISE listed starboard and sank in shallow water at
34°15′N 132°31′E34.250°N 132.517°E. She was removed from the Navy list on 20 November 1945.
ISE's underwater hulk section was for some time left where it was and she was scrapped without being raised by the Kure Dockyard of the Harima Zosen Yard from 9 October 1946 – 4 July 1947.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_battleship_ISE
Japan 1999 80y sg ?, scott?
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5502
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 78 guests