Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

Hermes, Gypsey Schooner and Belle Poule.

HMS HERMES was a 20-gun class sixth-rate post ship built in Milford Dockyard in 1811. On 11 February 1812 Hermes captured the American brig Flora. Then on 26 April Hermes captured the American brig Tigress. Four days later, HERMES and BELLE POULE captured the American privateer schooner GIPSY (or Gipsey). She was on her way from New York City to Bordeaux with a cargo worth ₤50,000 when the British vessels captured her in the mid-Atlantic after a three-day chase. Gipsey surrendered twice to Hermes and twice got away again before Belle Poule caught her. Gipsey was of 300 tons (bm) and was armed with twelve 18-pounder carronades and an 18-pounder gun on a pivot mount.In September 1814, master Percy led her in an unsuccessful attack on Fort Bowyer. The Louisiana State Museum has a map of the battle. The attack took place on 15 September at about 4:30pm. Two of the four British vessels could not get close enough to fire. The fort was more strongly armed than expected, the British fire was ineffective, and a parallel ground attack failed. Furthermore, as she tried to withdraw, Hermes grounded under the guns of the fort. Percy evacuated her crew on boats from Sophie and then set fire to Hermes, which blew up after the fire reached her magazine at around 10pm. In all, Hermes had lost 17 killed in action, 5 mortally wounded and 19 wounded. (The medical journal of the Hermes has survived. ) She was destroyed in 1814 to prevent her falling into American hands after grounding during her unsuccessful attack on Fort Bowyer on Mobile Pointoutside Mobile, Alabama. On 18 January 1815, Percy faced a court martial on board Cydnus, off Cat Island (Mississippi). The court acquitted him of all blame, finding that the circumstances justified the attack and that all involved had behaved with great gallantry. HMS BELLE POULE was a Royal Navy fifth rate frigate, formerly Belle Poule, a Virginie-class frigate of the French Navy, which was built by the Crucy family's shipyard at Basse-Indre to a design by Jacques-Noël Sané. She was launched on 17 April 1802, and saw active service in the East, but in 1806 a British squadron under Sir John Borlase Warren captured her off La Palma in the Canary Islands. The Admiralty commissioned her into the Royal Navy as HMS Belle Poule. At the time of her capture Belle Poule was armed with forty 18-pounder guns, had a crew of 320 men, and was under the command of Captain Brouillac. Marengo and Belle Poule had lost 65 men killed and 80 wounded. The British on London and Amazon had 13 officers and men killed and 26 officers and men wounded. Belle Poule returned to Portsmouth on 17 May 1815. A week later she sailed for Cork. She was converted to a prison hulk in 1815. She was sold on 11 June 1816 for ₤2,700. The design stamp is made after painting of John Bentham Dinsdale: “Hermes, Gypsey Schooner and Belle Poule”.
Somali 2017;


The sixth issue from Maritime Malta series consists of 3 stamps featuring vessels dating back to the Order of Saint John.

For many years, warships, such as the galley, were used by the Mediterranean naval powers. In fact this type of ship served for many years as the backbone of the Navy of the Order of Saint John. The Galley was characterised by its long, slender and shallow hull. These vessels were usually painted red with a white waterline and while most vessels at the time had sails, however the primary method of propulsion was the human strength of prisoners.

The 26c stamp depicts a model of the common galley, also known as Sensile. This was armed with five bronze cannon on the bow and propelled by 26 oars on each side. Three to five people were needed for each oar and this vessel was also rigged with two lateen sails. This model is on display at the Malta Maritime Museum.

The 42c Stamp depicts a model known as the Demi Galley or the Half Galley. This was introduced in 1742 and was a smaller version of the common galley. The development of this galley came at the time when availability of prisoners as oarsmen was scarce hence the smaller number of rowers needed. This galley was equipped with one large calibre bronze cannon on the bow. This model is on display at the Malta Maritime Museum and it is considered as the only surviving Demi Galley model known.

The 1 stamp shows a model of a brigantine. This was the ceremonial barge of the Portuguese Grand Master Antonio Manoel de Vilhena and was painted green with a white waterline. It was fitted with nine oars on each side and was not designed for long voyages, with storage space kept at a minimum. It is documented that Grand Master de Vilhena travelled to Gozo in this vessel. This model underwent extensive restoration in 1964 and it is on display at the Malta Maritime Museum.

Source: Joseph Abela (Heritage Malta) ... sues%2fphi
Malta 2018 0.26/1.00 Euro sg?, scott? (The 1.00 Euro has the year 2019 printed on it)


Antigua & Barbuda issued in 1988 a set of stamps and a miniature sheet for the “Sailing week yacht regatta 1988”. All stamps and sheet shows sailing yachts of which I have not any information. Of the regatta Wikipedia has the following:

Antigua and Barbuda Sailing Week is a yacht regatta held at Nelson's Dockyard, St. Johns, Antigua. It is one of Antigua's most notable events. Founded in 1967, it is cited as one of the top regattas in the world and attracts an average 150-200 yachts, 1500 participants and 5000 spectators on average annually. In 2012 the regatta was held between 29 April and 4 May. In 2005, 24 countries were represented at the regatta. There are five main races held, including the English Harbour race, and at the end of the week the event finishes with the Lord Nelson's Ball.
Antigua & Barbuda 1988 30c/$5 sg 1190/93 and sgMS 1194, Scott 1112/16


Norfolk Island has not a deep water harbour, ships are required to anchor about a kilometre or so off shore. The cargo is then transferred from the hold of the ship to lighters. The 30 feet lighters, which are a local adaption of wooden whaling boats, are then towed by launch to the jetty.
Of the whalers used on Norfolk Island after which the lighters were built see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13176&p=14506&hilit=blessing+of+the+whalers#p14506

Loading jetties are located at Kingston and Cascade, but ships cannot get close to either of them. When a supply ship arrives, it is emptied by whaleboats towed by launches, five tonnes at a time. Which jetty is used depends on the prevailing weather on the day. The jetty on the leeward side of the island is often used. If the wind changes significantly during unloading/loading, the ship will move around to the other side. Visitors often gather to watch the activity when a supply ship arrives.

Much more is given on the following URL: ... nic-fleet/ ... olk_Island
Norfolk Island 1988 39 and 55c sg452/53, scott?. 1990 5c and10c sg483/84, scott?. 1993 45c sg 541, scott? 1996 $3.70 sg627, scott?, and 45c sg 629, scott? 2000 sgMS 731, scott? 2001 45c/$1.50 sg?, scott?


The Isle of Man issued two stamps in 1974 for the 1000th centenary of King Magnus Haraldson.

Under which name he was known has in the years many times spelled differently in the documents, but most probably it was King Magnus Haraldson, when born is also not known.
He was King of the Isle of Man and on the 8p stamp his fleet is seen. Twice in the year he sailed with this fleet of between 3600-4800 sails around the British Islands as admiral of the fleet to clear the waters around the islands from pirates especially the Danes and Normans. Also his coat of arms is depict on the stamp. Why are she rowing she are under sail, and why carry the shields outboard, so far I know the shields were only used during battle in this way, and clearly not a battle took place on this stamp.
The 4p stamp shows Magnus Haraldson in a stately barge with King Edgar of England on the River Dee in Wales. The skyline of the town in the background is of the town of Chester, a mistake has been made. The skyline of the town is from a drawing of the 14th century. Of the barge I have not any info, looks she is rowed by kings, all wearing a crown, King Edgar standing in the stern.
King Magnus Haraldson died in 977, but also other years have been given.

Source: Various internet sites.
Isle of Man 1974 4½p and 8p sg51/52, scott?


Felucca served as a cargo carrier, passenger vessel, man-of-war, corsair, and guardian of ports. Terra has been applied to a number of differ¬ent types of vessels during a long history that ended in the 19th century. Small types generally both rowed and sailed; large vessels only sailed, stepping 1-3 masts. Generally set lateen sails, although a sprit rig was common on some small open feluccas in the 17th century. Some As many as 20 banks of oars used and, on older types, outboard gangways supported standing rowers. Sharp ends, flat floors, shallow keel, flared sides. Most had a low beak. The later Spanish craft had a very tall stem extension. Most had an overhang¬ing poop deck, some had a cabin aft, and larger vessels were fully decked. On some, the helm could be placed at either end as needed. The corsair carried ca. 20 men. Reported lengths 9-19m, widths 1.8-3.7m, depths 0.7-1.12m.
Feluccas are the traditional sailboats of Egypts Nile . Egyptians and foreigners alike enjoy a relaxing felucca ride, as they are perfect for catching the breeze on a hot summer night, The felucca has remained, over the centuries, the primary transportation of the Nile . Its ancient form still graces the river as it has been done since the time of the Pharaohs. The felucca relies entirely on the breeze which builds during the day, and the Nile River's current. Egypt is blessed with a predominant southerly wind that pushes sailboats upriver, while allowing them to return on its current downstream.
Egipt 2014;le4. Dominica 1998; 90c; SG2459. Monaco 1979;1f50; SG1396. Uganda 1998;3000s;SG Ms1973b. (In margin of sheet).
Source: A Dictionary of the world’s Watercraft from Aak to Zumbra. ... rev=search

VILLA DE MADRID frigate 1863

The full index of our ship stamp archive

VILLA DE MADRID frigate 1863

Postby aukepalmhof » Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:08 pm

bombardament of Valparaiso + painting.jpg
Click image to view full size
2017 Chile (2).jpg
Click image to view full size
Built as a wooden screw frigate by Arsenal de la Carraca (Cadiz) for the Spanish Navy.
30 September 1860 ordered
03 November 1860 keel laid down, as the NUESTRA SENORA DE ATOCHA
07 October 1862 launched one of the Unica Class.
Displacement 4,478 ton. Dim. 87.05 x 15.42 x 7.84m., draught 7.40m.
Powered by two steam engines manufactured by Penn & Son. 3,200 hp, one shaft, speed 15 knots.
Bunker capacity 720 ton coal.
Armament 30 – 200mm, 14 – 160mm guns. 2 howitzers and 2 – 80mm guns.
Crew 617.
12 November 1863 completed as VILLA DE MADRID.

The wooden hulled steam screw frigate VILLA DE MADRID was built for the Spanish Navy .It received its name in honour of the uprising of the people of Madrid against the French invaders on 02 May 1808, her name she was ordered under was, NUESTRA SEÑORA DE ATOCHA following the custom of the ships of the Spanish Navy of the time, those ships with a non-religious name, they had to carry another one that was religious.

The ship
Its construction was ordered by Royal Order of 30 September 1860 and began in the Arsenal de la Carraca (Cádiz) on 03 November of the same year. It was launched in the presence of Queen Isabel II with the name of NUESTRA SENORA DE ATOCHA on 07 October 1862, after a failed first attempt two days before.
Between 17 March 1863 and 15 July 1863 the machinery was installed and her hull copper sheated.
06 November 1863 underwent sea trials
Her figurehead, was the municipal coat of arms of Madrid, with the bear and the strawberry tree.
Building cost was 5,636,975 pesetas.
On 12 November 1863, she entered service, and her first mission was to take a battalion of Marine Infantry to Havana, after which she returned to Cádiz.
On 06 September 1864, she sailed from Cádiz to Montevideo, Uruguay, where she joined the screw frigates BLANCA and BERENGUELA, with which she passed the Strait of Magellan and joined in December of the same year Admiral José Manuel's Squadron at the Chincha Islands, Chile.
Under the command of Captain Claudio Alvargonzález Sánchez, she participated with the squadron of Admiral Casto Méndez Núñez in the Battle of Abtao, the bombardment of Valparaíso and in the Battle of Callao, where she had 27 casualties.
She returned to Cádiz on 04 November 1866, with a jubilant welcome from the authorities and the town people.
It remained anchored in Civitavecchia during the assault on Rome by Garibaldi, in case the Pope was forced to flee he could board her, when not more needed she returned to Cartagena at the end of 1867.
He transported the Infanta Doña Isabel, her husband the count of Girgenti and his brothers, refugees in Spain since 1861, back to Italy, in the spring of 1868.
In July of 1868 she took the Duke of Montpensier and his family to exile to Lisbon, where she arrived on 03 August 1868.
She then went to San Sebastian, and anchored in Cadiz at the end of August 1868 where she was rearmed with 20 smoothbore guns of 200 mm in batteries, and 10 guns of 160 mm.
She participated in the Revolution in Spain of September of 1868, being a unit of the insurrectionary ships in Cádiz. On 25 September 1868, she sailed from Cádiz to visit Algeciras, Ceuta, Málaga, Cartagena, Valencia and Barcelona.
She later joined the Mediterranean Squadron under the command of the Commodore of the Antequera Navy. At this time, it remained anchored in Santa Pola.
In 1870, forming a squadron with NUMANCIA and VITORIA under the command of Rear Admiral Rafael Rodríguez de Arias , she went to Italy to pick up the new monarch Amadeo I. On the outward journey she raised the royal standard without a king on board. It was the first and only time in the history of Spain that this has happened.
On 30 July 1873 she joined the Canton of Cartagena and was abandoned by most of her crew to enjoy the permits granted by the cantonalists. His machine was broken down, so he did not participate in the Arsenal defense against Admiral Lobo's centralist squadron.
From 1879 to 1884 the date on which she appeared as disarmed, she served in the Training Squadron, being discharged in 1884 and scrapped the same year.
One of her anchors remained as a monument in the Buen Retiro Park in Madrid.

Chile 2017 label.
Posts: 5427
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider] and 93 guests