SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

USA CAR FERRY around 1900

This stamp issued by the USA and designed by Richard Schlecht of Arlington, Virginia is based on ferry boats sailing on the Hudson River by New York around 1900, he used primarily the NEWARK built in 1902 and her sister the CHICAGO built in 1901. The two double ended ferries were sisters but did have minor differences.
The NEWARK was built as a double decker car-ferry under yard no 138 by T.S. Marvel in Newburg, NY for the Pennsylvania Railroad Co, in New York.
Launched as NEWARK.
Tonnage 1,308 ton, dim. 58.7 (bpp.) x 14.0m.
Powered by a triple expansion steam engine, 750 hp.
July 1902 completed.
Used in the service between New Jersey and Manhattan.
1949 Transferred to de Delaware-New Jersey Ferry Co. in Wilmington, DE. Not renamed.
September 1951 broken up in Baltimore.

Her sister was built under yard No 177 by Burlee Shipbuilding & Dry-dock Co, Mariner’s Harbour for the Pennsylvania Railroad Co. New York.
Launched as the CHICAGO.
Tonnage 1,334 ton, dim. 58.9 (bpp.) x 14.0m.
Same type of engine only her horse powered was 700 hp.
1901 Completed.

Same service as the NEWARK.
1949 Transferred to Delaware New Jersey Ferry Co, Wilmington, DE not renamed.
1951 Transferred to the State of Delaware, Wilmington, not renamed.
May 1952 scrapped by Patapsco Scrap Co., Baltimore.

Source: Internet and http://www.miramarshipindex.nz
USA 1990 32c sg 2481, scott 2466.

SOMALIA SAILING SHIPS 1994

Somalia used four stamps in 1994 which show sailing ships.

150 sh Viking ship. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10360
350 sh Junk. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14069
600 sh galleon. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11966
1400 sh Clipper ship. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13935

Somalia 1994 150/1400sh sg?, scott?

PORTLAND HMS (F-79)

Tristan da Cunha has a close affinity to the military and in particular the Navy, from the founding of the British community nearly 200 years ago, to the present day. As the world’s most remote inhabited island, visiting naval ships have always been a welcome sight and have provided much needed support for those living on Tristan da Cunha. With a population of just 254 islanders (January 2018) resident on Tristan the arrival of a ship’s crew can almost double the local population and is often a time of great excitement and celebration.

HMS PORTLAND arrived off Tristan 14 January 2017 from South Georgia and anchored offshore. The small harbour was too small for her but personnel were ferried to the island the following day, once the Harbour Master had assessed the swell and confirmed that it was a suitable day.

She had carried out a fishery protection patrol of Tristan’s waters – the sea is rich with crawfish, one of the island’s main sources of income – before dropping anchor for 24 hours in company with tanker RFA GOLD ROVER.

As always, the short visit assured islanders the mother country had not forgotten about them and allowed the sailors the rare chance to enjoy an island few people set foot on.
http://www.pobjoystamps.com/contents/en ... Ships.html

Built as a Type 23 frigate under yard no 1052 by BAE Systems Marine (YSL) Ltd., Scotstoun near Glasgow for the Royal Navy.
February 1996 ordered.
14 January 1998 laid down.
15 May 1999 launched as the HMS PORTLAND (F-79), christened by Lady Brigstocke.
Displacement 4,900 ton, dim. 133 x 16.3 x 7.3m. (draught)
Powered: CODLAG by four 2,025 shp Paxman Valenta 12CM diesel generators, two GEC electric motors, 4,000 shp. and two Rolls-Royce Spey SM1C, 31,100 shp. twin screws, speed in excess of 28 knots..
Range 7,500 mile by a speed of 15 knots.
Armament: Anti-Air missiles, 1 – 32 cell Sea Wolf GWS 26 VLS canisters for 32 missiles. Anti-ship missiles 2 – quad Harpoon launchers. Anti-submarine torpedoes, 2 – twin 12.75 inch (324 mm) Sting Ray torpedo tubes.
Guns: 1 – BAE 4.5 inch Mk 8 naval gun.2 – 30mm DS30m Mk2 guns or 2 – 30mm DS30B guns. 2 – mini guns and 4 General purpose machine guns.
Accommodation for 205 persons, crew 185.
Carried 1 - Lynx HMAS or 1 – Westland Merlin HML, has a flight deck and enclosed hangar.
03 May 2001 commissioned.

HMS PORTLAND is a Type 23 frigate of the British Royal Navy. She is the eighth ship to bear the name and is the fifteenth and penultimate ship of the 'Duke' class of frigates, and is named for the (now extinct) Dukedom of PORTLAND, and more particularly for the 3rd Duke, who was Prime Minister.
Operational history
2000–2010
The ship was accepted into service by the Royal Navy on 15 December 2000 and was commissioned on 3 May the following year. Present at the commissioning ceremony was PORTLAND's sponsor Lady Brigstocke, wife of Admiral Sir John Brigstocke, a former Second Sea Lord; Lady Brigstocke launched the ship in 1999.
During sea trials PORTLAND attained a top speed of 30.8 knots (57.0 km/h), the fastest speed attained by any Type 23 frigate at that time
PORTLAND assisted in the search for men lost from a capsized yacht on 3 February 2007
She was deployed to the Caribbean for seven months in 2007, intercepting 3.5 tonnes of cocaine in cooperation with a United States Coast Guard Law Enforcement Detachment (LEDET) and conducting disaster relief in Belize following Hurricane Dean
In April 2008, PORTLAND visited Liverpool with HMS Mersey and berthed at the cruise liner terminal at Prince's Dock
In June 2009 while taking part in anti-piracy operations off the Horn of Africa, PORTLAND intercepted ten alleged pirates but because the suspects were not caught in the immediate act of piracy, the vessel was unable legally to detain them.
In late April 2010, PORTLAND relieved HMS YORK on the Atlantic Patrol Task (South.
2011–Present
June 2011 saw PORTLAND conducting night Naval Gunnery practice off Gibraltar in the Mediterranean. Towards the end of the month she sailed to Edinburgh to take part in Armed Forces Day. She is the first major warship in the Royal Navy to be commanded by a woman; Commander Sarah West assumed command of HMS PORTLAND on 21 May 2012. PORTLAND spent 2012 at Rosyth in a 50-week refit that saw her upgraded with Sonar 2087, new IT systems, Sea Wolf mid-life overhaul, gun replacements, galley refurbishment and accommodation improvements. She left Rosyth on 14 December 2012 for three months of sea trials.
In August 2013, she was announced as the Fleet Ready Escort for the next two months. She is due to participate in Exercise Joint Warrior 2013.
On 2 August 2014, she completed the 7 month task of the Atlantic Patrol ship.
Captain Simon Asquith assumed command of HMS PORTLAND in September 2014.
On 20 June 2016, PORTLAND departed Devonport for a nine-month patrol covering the Middle East and the South Atlantic Ocean. PORTLAND was the last Royal Navy ship to carry Radar 996 and was the last ship to conduct a Replenishment at Sea with RFA GOLD ROVER prior to the latter ship's decommissioning.

2018 In service.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_PORTLAND_(F79). Miramar.
Tristan da Cunha 2018 45p sg?, scott?

YORK HMS (D98)

Built as a type 42 destroyer under yard no 111 by Swan Hunter, Wallsend, U.K. for the Royal Navy.
18 January 1980 laid down.
21 January 1982 launched as the HMS YORK. (D-98).
Displacement 5,200 ton, dim. 141.0 x 15.2m.
Powered: COGOG by two Rolls-Royce Olympus TM3B gas turbines, 50,000 shp and two Rolls Royce Tyne RM1C cruise gas turbines 5,340 shp, twin shafts, speed 30 knots by use of Olympus and 24 knots by use of Tyne.
Range 4,200 mile by a speed 14 knots.
Armament: 1 x twin Sea Dart missile launchers, 40 missiles. 1 – 4.5 inch Mk 8 gun. 2 – 20 mm Oerlikon guns, 2 – Phalanx close-in-weapon system (CIWS).
Crew 287.
Carried 1 Lynx HMAS helicopter.
09 August 1985 christened by Lady Gosling and the same day commissioned.

HMS YORK was a Batch III Type 42 destroyer of the Royal Navy. Launched on 20 June 1982 at Wallsend, Tyne and Wear and sponsored by Lady Gosling, YORK was the last Type 42 built. The ship's crest was the White Rose of York, and the "red cross with lions passant" funnel badge was derived from the coat of arms of the City of York. With a maximum speed of 34 knots (63 km/h; 39 mph), she was the Royal Navy's fastest destroyer.
Operational history
1985-
In the summer of 1990, HMS YORK was serving on a routine patrol in the Persian Gulf as part of The Armilla Patrol which had been undertaken by a series of Royal Navy warships over many years. On 2 August that year, Saddam Hussein's forces invaded Kuwait. Instead of heading off to the Far East and Australia for series of "waving the flag" port visits, she remained on patrol in the Persian Gulf for an extra three months. This period was conducted when at sea mostly on a war-ready footing, involving virtually everyone onboard working Defence Watches (basically six hours on, six off) round the clock.
2001-2010
In 2001, she tested a RIM-116 Rolling Airframe Missile.
In 2003, YORK took part in the invasion of Iraq providing air cover and area protection for the aircraft carrier HMS ARK ROYAL. In 2004, she was fitted with the MOD 1 variant of the mark 8 4.5-inch gun. She and EDINBURGH were the only two Type 42s to be so fitted.
In July 2006, YORK joined GLOUCESTER in evacuating British citizens from Beirut in the 2006 Israel-Lebanon conflict making several trips in and out of Lebanon, ferrying evacuees to Cyprus.
In February 2010, YORK and the auxiliary WAVE RULER were deployed to the Falkland Islands coinciding with a period of increased tensions between the United Kingdom and Argentina over the former's plans to begin drilling for oil in the seas surrounding the islands.
2011-2012
In February 2011, YORK was deployed to Malta to assist in the evacuation of British nationals from Libya. On 21 April 2011, YORK arrived at the East Cove Military Port in the Falkland Islands, beginning patrol duties for the islands.
On 12 December 2011, YORK spotted the Russian aircraft carrier ADMIRAL KUZNETSOV with its carrier group northeast of Orkney, off the coast of northern Scotland, and shadowed the carrier for a week. This was the first time ADMIRAL KUZNETSOV had deployed near UK waters and the closest in 20 years that a Russian naval task group had deployed to the UK. She then sailed around the top of Scotland and into the Atlantic past western Ireland, where she conducted flying operations with her Sukhoi Su-33 Flanker jets and Kamov Ka-27 helicopters in international airspace.
On 13 April 2012, YORK fired the last ever operational Sea Dart missiles after a thirty-year career. As such YORK completed her career without the system being operational. YORK entered Portsmouth harbour for the final time on 20 September 2012, and was decommissioned on 27 September 2012. In August 2012, the ship was put up for sale.
09 August 2015 she arrived at Aliaga, Turkey and she was scrapped there by Leyal GS.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_YORK_(D98) Miramar.
Jersey 2018 Local Mail sg?, scott?

MARSHALL ISLAND CANOE

The canoe depict on this stamp most probably is a “kor kor” it shows the canoe in the foreground with in the background the night silhouette of Hong Kong. The other stamp in this sheet shows a junk. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14069

Known as one of the fastest indigenous watercraft in the Pacific, the Marshall Islands outrigger canoe has over the years been fine-tuned to sail closer to the wind than any other modern sail craft in the world. Little has changed in the basic design of the outrigger canoes over the past 100 generations. In centuries past, the people of the Marshall Islands sailed upon ocean voyages of up to 500 miles as a matter of necessity, usually to access food. Today, sadly, canoes have been largely replaced by power boats, with most new canoes in Majuro being built for racing. Of the outer islands, only a few still use the canoes as part of their livelihood, with Ailuk Atoll being a prime example. While newly-built tradition-style outrigger canoes look extremely similar to the original boats, they are shaped not with the simple hand-hewn tools of the past, but with electric saws and planes. They are not rigged with a sail made from the fibers of the pandanus plant, but instead with modern fabrics, including tarps. Whatever their purpose, the very existence of the canoes is treasured by the community as a source of national pride.

The other sheet shows a silhouette by daylight of Hong Kong, with on the left stamp a “walap” viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5799&p=16754&hilit=walap#p16754
And the right stamp shows a Chinese junk.

Source: http://www.canoesmarshallislands.com/ca ... s-history/
Marshall Islands 1997 32c sgMS 789, scott 624a/624b.

FOWLING IN FAROE ISLANDS

FOWLING IN FAROE ISLANDS

The waters around the islands are rich in fish, whale and seal. Bird cliffs, promontories, islets and precipices are nesting places for many species of seabirds. It is therefore not surprising that coastal fishing and fowling  were quite a significant part of traditional Faroese working life.
Fowling with a pole-net is far more sustainable than other fowling methods. The fowler only catches one bird at a time and, moreover, he is able to sort out certain birds, for example puffins carrying small fry for their chicks. In addition, maiming birds by shooting is avoided. It has always been forbidden to use firearms in and near bird cliffs.

2018 Faroes Philatelic
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

RAMANUJAN 1929

The full index of our ship stamp archive

RAMANUJAN 1929

Postby aukepalmhof » Wed Feb 07, 2018 12:45 am

Irwin.jpg
Click image to view full size
talaimannar ferry.jpg
Click image to view full size
2017 ramanujan MS.png
Click image to view full size
2017 ramanujan.png
Click image to view full size
World Post Day
The beginning of post offices in Sri Lanka goes back to the Dutch period in 1787. The post office system which commenced with five post offices in the coastal areas has to day evolved into a system consisting of 641 post offices and 3681 Sub Post Offices.
Letters, parcels and other postal items received by a Post Office are transported to their respective destinations by Postmen, motor vehicles, aero planes and trains.
In the past postal items were transported from one Post Office to another Post Office and also to household residents through Postmen who walked on foot. Subsequently horse carriages were used for that purpose. In Asia it was in Sri Lanka where horse carriages were used for the first time for mail transport.
Horse carriages, motor vehicles, aero planes and trains were used for delivery of mail without delay.
Postal transport by train was started in 1865.That was from Colombo to Ambepussa. Between Ambepussa and Kandy mail was transported using horse carriages and with the commencement of train services between Ambepussa and Kandy in 1867, postal items were transported from Colombo to Kandy by train.
For the first time a mobile post office was started on April 11, 1892 using passenger transport railway compartments where it was possible to sort out letters there itself. This Travelling Post Office facility which was initiated from the hill country was subsequently expanded to other areas such as the southern, north-western, eastern and the northern provinces as well. Today the Travelling Post Offices are in operation as those of Colombo – Badulla, Colombo – Galle and Colombo – Jaffna.
Train service was mainly used for the interior transport of mail and the railway line from Medavachchiya to Thalaimannar can be considered as a unique travelling postal transport route of this service. Postal goods transported to Thalaimannar via Medavachchiya from Colombo were transported by it up to Madras in India. Postal goods brought from Colombo to Thalaimannar via Medavachchiya were unloaded at the Thalaimannar Naval Dockyard. Thereafter, passengers and postal goods were transported by sea from Thalaimannar to Danushkodi in India by ships belonging to the British – India Stem Navigation Company (BISNC) which came from Danushkodi.
Postal goods of Sri Lanka which were unloaded at Danushkodi were transported from there to Madras by the Indian train which used to call at that port. This Indo – Sri Lanka Traveling Post Office commenced on March 01, 1914 was used for the transport of passengers and postal goods between the two countries.

http://www.stamps.gov.lk/929.php

The Boat Mail Train aka the Indo-Ceylon Express
In the 1950s, there was much traffic between India and Sri Lanka (then Ceylon) by land and sea. The Boat Mail train, aka the Indo-Ceylon Express plied between Chennai (then Madras) and Dhanushkodi on the Bay of Bengal. It took almost 19 hours to complete the journey of 675 kilometers.
After the Boat Mail train reached Dhanushkodi Pier at 15:05 hours in the afternoon, the passengers after alighting from the train crossed the Palk Strait using the steamer ferry service from Dhanushkodi Pier to Talaimannar Pier in Ceylon (Sri Lanka). The ferry steamer used to leave the Indian shore soon after 16:00 hours. It took about 3½ hours for the crossing.
The era of the Boat Mail came to an end after a cyclonic storm with high-speed winds, and high tidal waves struck South India and northern Ceylon between December 22 and 25, 1964. The entire town of Dhanushkodi was completely submerged with heavy casualties. The railway line running from Pamban Station to Dhanushkodi Pier was destroyed, and a passenger train with over 100 passengers drowned in the sea.
Years later, the name of the train changed from Indo-Ceylon Express to Rameswaram Express.
https://tvaraj.com/tag/chennai/page/2/

After some searching I found that the ferry used in 1955 between Talaimannar in Ceylon and Rameswarum in India was the RAMANUJAN, and she is depict on the stamp alongside the pier in Talaimannar.

She was built as a passenger-cargo vessel under yard No 859m by D&W Henderson & Co., at the Meadowside yard, Glasgow for the South India Railway Co. Ltd., Glasgow.
10 June 1929 launched as the IRWIN.
Tonnage 970 grt, 377 nrt, dim, 76.2 x 11.61 x 3.47m.
Powered by two steam turbines manufactured by Yarrow & Co. Ltd., Glasgow, 353 nhp. Speed 10 knots.
02 September 1929 completed.

1948 Transferred to the Southern Railway, Madras, India not renamed.
1965 Transferred to the Shipping Corp. of India Ltd., Madras not renamed.
1972 Renamed by the company in RAMANUJAN.
09 June 1987 work commenced scrapping by Shri Ram Shipbreakers in Bombay, India.

Source http://www.miramarshipindex.nz http://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?of ... ssel=IRWIN
Sri Lanka 2017 15.00P sg?, scott? and a miniature sheet.

.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5396
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot] and 99 guests