SANTA MARIA replica Columbus ship

The full index of our ship stamp archive
aukepalmhof

SANTA MARIA replica Columbus ship

Post by aukepalmhof » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:05 pm

Guyana issued in 1989 a set of stamps and miniature sheets for the 1992 Olympic Games in Barcelona, the $2.55 shows in the margin of the miniature sheet the replica of Columbus ship the SANTA MARIA moored at Atarazanas in Barcelona

When in America the film “Christopher Columbus” was made in 1949, which by General Franco regime was declared an insult to the Spanish people the regime decided to make their own film “Alba de América” and a replica of the SANTA MARIA was built in 1951, where I could not find. It was quite a good replica, I have been on board when we were loading in Barcelona. Only one small cabin for Columbus on the after ship, the rest of the crew had to sleep on deck or in the hold. Little is definitively known about the actual dimensions of SANTA MARIA since no documentation or illustration has survived from that era. Of the replica I have not tonnage or dim.
After the film was made two more films were made before the SANTA MARIA was moored in the port of Barcelona, when you walked from the main street the Rambla in Barcelona she was moored at the end. She was open to the public.
She was moored there till May 1990 when she suffered two fires which caused heavy damage, the fires were lighted by Terra Lider militants, who saw the ship as a Spanish symbol.
At that time the owner of the SANTA MARIA was Diputacio de Barcelona and they decided that the high repair cost was not justified. She was towed outside the port and was sunk in 30 meter of water opposite of the Calella Lighthouse.

Guyana 1989 $2.55 sgMS?, scott?
Sources: Various web-sites.
Attachments
SANTA MARIA replica.jpg
Image (7).jpg