SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year. Full membership includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

ISAAC ROBINSON and whaler

The stamp issued by Norfolk Island depict Isaac Robinson (1825-1912) the only consul of the US on Norfolk Island with in the background most probably a US whaler, who made calls at the island many times in the 19th century. I don’t have any details on the vessel depict, the whalers from the US were mostly about three years away from their homeport and for fresh provision and water were making regulars calls on the islands in the Pacific.
Isaac Robinson born at Tasmania was a trader who settled on Norfolk as agent for the shipping company Burns Philp & Co Ltd., later becoming Norfolk's Registrar of Lands and the island's first (and so far only) United States consul.
The idea of Norfolk having an American consul does sound slightly absurd today,” “but in those days American whalers made frequent calls.”
Robinson died at sea when he was underway to the U.K.

Norfolk Island 1986 33c sg385, scott? and sgMS?, scott?
Source various internet sites.

PRINCE REGENT packet

In 2006 Gibraltar issued a set of stamps depicting mail packet ships who regular visited Gibraltar, bringing mail to and from Gibraltar during the 1800s
I still had two ships of this set in my possession of which I could not find much information on, the PRINCE REGENT and CORNWALLIS both are very common names in shipping at that time.
At least I found on one, and most probably she is the right vessel on the stamp is the PRINCE REGENT.
Built in 1821 by Mr. Symonds in Plymouth as a packet ship, brig rigged.
Launched under the name PRINCE REGENT.

Then I found in the British Warships in the Age of Sail 1817-1863 by Rif Winfield.
The ex-mercantile PRINCE REGENT packet, armed with 6 guns.
1926 Was she purchased by the Royal Navy and renamed CYNTHIA.
Tonnage 232 ton (bm), dim. 87.2 x 25ft.
Brig rigged.
Armament 2 – 9 pdrs, 4 – 9 pdrs. Carronades.
20 July 1826 commissioned under command of Lieut. John White for the Falmouth Packet service;
1 Sep 1826 fitting out as a packet at Devonport

2 Oct 1826 went out of Hamoaze into the Sound.

3 Oct 1826 arrived Falmouth from Plymouth.

3 Oct 1826 departed Plymouth Sound for Falmouth.

20 Oct 1826 departed Falmouth for Bueonos Ayres. (Buenos Aires)
Sailed from Falmouth 07 May 1827 with mail for the West Indies, but wrecked near Barbados on 06 July 1827. She was driven on the reef by the current.
The following brief report appeared in the Nautical Magazine for 1834 : CYNTHIA, a purchased packet, thirty-two persons on board, wrecked on the island of Barbadoes, on the 6th of June, 1827, by accident, in moderate weather. All on board saved.

Gibraltar 2006 68p sg?, scott?
Source: http://www.pbenyon.plus.com/18-1900/C/01248.html and internet.

RHADAMANTHUS HMS paddle steamer 1832

The vessel in front of HMS HASTINGS and depict in the margin of the stamp is the paddle steamer HMS RHADAMANTHUS towing the HASTINGS into the harbour of Valetta, Malta on 30 November 1838.

She was built as a second class sloop after a design made by Thomas Roberts by the Plymouth Dry-dock at Plymouth for the British Royal Navy.
12 January 1831 ordered.
September 1831 keel laid down.
16 April 1832 launched as the HMS RHADAMANTHUS, named after a son of Zeus.
Displacement 1,086 ton, 813 ton BM, dim. 164.7 x 32.10 x 17.10ft., length of keel 164.7ft, draught 13.0 ft aft.
Powered by a 2 cyl. side lever steam engine manufactured by Maudslay, Sons & Field, 220 nhp., speed 10 knots.
Armament when built: 1 – 10 inch, 2 – 32 pdrs, 2 – 6 pdrs, guns.
After her launch, sailed under a jury-rig to Woolwich, where her engine was fitted in and she was completed.
04 October 1832 commissioned under command of Commander George Evans.
02 November 1832 completed.

After completed she sailed to the Dutch coast for blockade duty, then to North America and the West Indies, she was the first Royal Navy steamer to cross the Atlantic.
21 April 1835 she paid off at Woolwich, she was refitted in 1836 there.
23 October 1836 recommissioned as a packet vessel for the coast of Spain.
13 July 1837 in service in the Mediterranean.
22 October 1840 paid off.
28 August 1841 recommissioned at Woolwich after she was fitted out as a transport in Sheerness.
13 February 1849 paid off at Woolwich.
March 1851 fitted out as a troopship, 07 March 1851 commissioned under command of Master John Belam for particular service.
11 June 1863 paid off at Sheerness.
08 February 1864 broken up completed in Sheerness, her steam engine survived and fitted in the HMS VIRAGO.

Malta 2016 3,50 Euro sgMS?, scott?
Source: British Warships in the Age of Sail 1817-1863 by Rif Winfield.

STADT WEHLEN (Germany)

Built in 1879 by Werft Blasewitz, Dresden for the Sächsische Dampfschiffahrts GmbH. Dresden as DRESDEN.
Sidewheel paddle steamer, displacement:271 tons, L:59,21m. B:10,44m. Draft:0,88m. Lancashire boiler, 2 cyl. oscillating steam engine:180 hp. built by Ruston & Co., Prague in 1851.
8-10 km/h upstream, 12-15 km/h downstream, pass:287.
In 1914 major engine repairs and modifications, the steam engine is converted to a compound engine.
In 1926 renamed MÜLBERG, in 1962 in STADT WEHLEN.
In 1977 collides with a tree trunk and in turn bangs against the Augustus Bridge in Dresden.
In 1978 the steamer is taken out of service, due to a defective boiler, 1981-'82 general overhaul, including the replacement of the boiler, 1993-'94 historically accurate reconstruction and return to service.

PS “STADT WEHLEN is the oldest steamboat in the fleet, dating from 1879. It´s original oscillating steam engine is even older than that, having been transferred from a previous ship. It is the only steamer in the fleet with a beige colored funnel. The cozy salons invite all passengers to enjoy the nostalgic setting, while having a drink or a meal.

(Germany 2011, €0,40, private stamp)
Internet + Historic Ships, Norman J. Brouwer

HASTINGS HMS 1819

Maritime Malta - Series IV
This issue consists of a miniature sheet bearing one stamp portraying a lithograph of a drawing by Charles von Brocktorff, circa 1838.
It shows the entry of the dowager Queen Adelaide on board the HMS Hastings into the Valletta Grand Harbour on 30 November 1838.
Queen Adelaide married William IV in 1818. Together they helped to restore the popularity of the Royal Family at a time when Republicanism was taking over in Europe. Queen Adelaide outlived her husband, and remained the Dowager Queen until her death in 1849. She fell ill after her husband's passing away in 1837 and was advised that she needed to enjoy a good climate such as that found in the Mediterranean.
The news that the Queen Dowager Adelaide of England was to visit Malta was published in the Government Gazette (no. 1455) on 24 October 1838. This information stated that the Queen had left England on her way to the Mediterranean on 3 October in the 'Hastings'. On 14 November the Government Gazette informed that the 'Hastings' had arrived in Naples, and finally on 26 November news about the programme of the Queen's arrival was announced.
On the day, the 'Rhadamanthus' was ordered to prepare to tow the 'Hastings' into the harbour. The squadron was under the command of Admiral Sir Robert Stoppford and consisted of a total of eight ships; the Princess Charlotte 104, the Asia 84, the Vanguard 80, the Bellerophon 80, the Minden 74, theBarham 50, the Carysfort 26 and the Wolverene 16.
The entrance of the Queen into harbour was marked by a royal salute fired from Fort Ricasoli and Fort Saint Elmo, and afterwards twenty-one guns were fired from each of the man-of-war.
Battalions of soldiers assembled on the most prominent batteries in order to cheer the Queen as she passed by. People were overjoyed with the arrival of the Queen it being the first time that the flag of a crowned head had entered within Grand Harbour.
The Queen left Malta on 1 April 1939. The Anglican Cathedral of St. Paul in Valletta remains known as a monument to this visit as during her visit the Dowager Queen contributed £10,000 for the construction, furnishing and endowing of the Cathedral. The foundation stone was laid in 1839 to the final designs of William Scamp.
http://wopa-stamps.com/index.php?contro ... e&id=31059
Built as a wooden sailing vessel by Kyd & Co in Bombay as speculation for the British East India Company.
08 January 1818 launched as the HASTINGS, named after Warren Hastings who was at that time Governor General of India.
Tonnage 1,763 ton (bm.), dim. Length of gundeck 53.9 x 14.8 x 6.4m.
Armament: Lower deck 28 – 32pdrs, upper deck 28 – 18 pdrs, quarter deck 4 – 12 pdrs and 10 – 32pdrs. Carronades, forecastle 2 – 12 pdrs, and 2 – 32 pdrs carronades.
Crew 600.
HASTINGS was built of the highest quality "saul", "sissoo", "Pegue", and "Java" teak wood, following Sir Robert Seppings's principles, which resulted in a vessel both longitudinal and transverse support. Her construction cost Sicca ruppees (Sa.Rs.) 8,71,406 (£108,938), which the merchants of Calcutta and other patriotic individuals subscribed via shares. The full cost of getting her ready for sea was Sa.Rs. 8,71,406 (£116,375).
Captain John Hayes sailed HASTINGS from Calcutta on 28 March 1818. She reached Madras on 13 April, and Port Louis on 2 July. From there she reached St Helena on 15 September, and arrived at The Downs on 3 November
The Admiralty purchased HASTINGS on 22 June 1819. It paid about half of what the vessel had cost the shareholders in Calcutta that had subscribed to her construction. The belief in Calcutta was that the jealousy of the Thames shipbuilders led to the undervaluation of the ship.
In Woolwich she was bought by the Royal Navy for £ 56,320, who registered the vessel on 22 June 1819.
Sailed to Chatham in June 1819 and was laid up, housed over from poop forwards.
February 1833 till April 1834 fitted out for sea service.
07 April 1834 commissioned as HMS HASTINGS under command of Captain Henry Shiffner as flagship of Rear-Admiral Sir William Hall Gage based at Lisbon.
31 January 1838 under command of Captain Francis Erskine Loch she sailed to the Mediterranean.
01 April 1838 sailed from the U.K. to convoy Lord Durham and his entourage to Canada.
07 October 1838 she was fitted out at Portsmouth to convey the Queen Dowager to Malta.
04 June 1839 under command of Captain John Lawrence took part in the Mediterranean operations on the coast of Syria in 1840.
15 September 1840 took part in the capture of Batroun, Lebanon
03 February 1842 paid off at Portsmouth.
10 April 1848 recommissioned under command of Captain James William Morgan and fitted out for sea.
04July 1848 Flagship of Rear-Admiral Sir Francis Augustus Collier and sailed for the East Indies.
Sailors and marines from HASTINGS fought Chinese pirates at the Battle of Tonkin River in 1849.
21 January 1850 under command of Captain Francis William Austen as flagship of his uncle Rear-Admiral Charles John Austen in the East Indies in the Second Anglo-Burmese War from September till October 1852.
06 May 1853 paid off at Portsmouth.
1853-1855 Converted to a 60 gun screw block ship at the Portsmouth Dry-dock.
A steam engine installed, manufactured by Maudslay, Sons & Field, 597 ihp.
12 May 1855 work completed.
06 February 1855 commissioned under command of Captain James Crawford Caffin and she sailed for the Baltic. Later based at Queenstown, Ireland.
12 May 1856 paid off at Portsmouth.
Fitted out for coastguard duties, and on 03 April 1857 recommissioned at Liverpool.
01 February 1860 paid off at Liverpool and was again recommissioned on 04 February 1860 as a RNR drill-ship at Liverpool.
08 October 1862 as flagship of Rear-Admiral Lewis Tobias Jones at Queenstown, Ireland.
18 May 1866 paid off and used as a coal hulk in 1870 at Devonport.
September 1885 sold, and broken up in 1886.

Malta 2016 3.50 Euro sgMS?, scott?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HMS_Hastings_(1819) British Warships in the Age of Sail 1817-1863 by Rif Winfield.

MEISSEN (Germany)

Built in 1885 by Werft Blasewitz, Dresden for the Sächsische Dampfschiffahrts GmbH, Dresden as KONIG ALBERT.
Side wheel river steamer, displacement:331 tons, L:64,34m. B:11,28m. Draft:0,89m.
2 cylinder oscillating steam engine:226 hp. compounded in 1914.
Entered service in 1885, renamed SACHSEN in 1898 and MEISSEN in 1928
Lengthened from 60.7 m in 1928 and aft deck saloons added.
Used to evacuate civillians from Dresden during the Allied bombing attacks of 1943.
Forward deck saloon added in 1968.
Major reconditioning in 1983/84 and 1992/93.

(Germany 2011, €0,40, private stamp)
Internet + Historic Ships, Norman J. Brouwer
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

MUREX tanker 1892

The full index of our ship stamp archive

MUREX tanker 1892

Postby shipstamps » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:33 pm


Click image to view full size
Built as a tanker under yard No. 442 by W.Gray & Co., Ltd. of West Hartlepool for Marcus .Samuel & Co., London.
28 May 1892 launched under the name MUREX, named after the Latin name of a shell.
Tonnage 3.564 gross, 2.329 net. dim. 338.0 x 43.0 x 26.4ft.
One triple expansion steam engine aft, ?hp
Five oil tanks. To make her as safe as possible during a collision the tanks were placed in the amidships section of the hull. Under the oil tanks there was a double bottom and on the forward of the tanks and between the tanks and boiler- engine room a cofferdam was placed.
July 1892 completed.


She was designed by Fortescue Flannery, and would be used for the transport of oil from the Black Sea mostly to Far Eastern ports.
26 July 1892 the MUREX was completed and set sail under command of Capt. John R. Coudon in ballast for Batum in the Black Sea.
After loading there a cargo of kerosene she headed for the Far East.
24 August 1892 she passed the Suez Canal, she was the first tanker, which sailed through the canal, and arrived 16 September 1892 at Singapore with 4.720 tons of kerosene, the first tanker who arrived at this port.

1898 The company was renamed in Shell Transport & Trading Co. Ltd. (M. Samuel & Co.) London, and the MUREX were transferred to the new company together with the other 13 vessels of the company.
01 January1907 the company amalgamated with the Royal Dutch Petroleum Co., and became the Royal Dutch Shell Group.
1907 The MUREX was transferred to the Anglo-Saxon Petroleum Co. Ltd. at London.

21 December 1916 torpedoed by the German submarine U-73, 94 miles NW off Port Said, and sunk, with the loss of one men.

Singapore 1980 $2 sg 374.

Some websites. Register of Merchant ships completed in 1892.
shipstamps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 30 guests

Sponsored Links
cron