Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

COXLESS SCULL Biglin brothers

This stamp is designed after a painting made by Thomas Eakins and shows the Biglin Brothers ... ver_-_1872
The painting was made in 1872 and is now in the National Gallery of Art in Washington and shows the Biglin Brothers in a coxless scull of which Wikipedia gives:

A coxless pair is a rowing boat used in the sport of competitive rowing. It is designed for two rowers, who propel the boat with sweep oars.
The crew consists of a pair of rowers, each having one oar, one on the stroke side (rower's right hand side) and one on the bow side (rower's lefthand side). As the name suggests, there is no coxswain on such a boat, and the two rowers must co-ordinate steering and the proper timing of oar strokes between themselves or by means of a steering installation which is operated by foot from one of the rowers. The equivalent boat when it is steered by a cox is referred to as a "coxed pair".
Racing boats (often called "shells") are long, narrow, and broadly semi-circular in cross-section in order to reduce drag to a minimum. Originally made from wood, shells are now almost always made from a composite material (usually carbon-fibre reinforced plastic) for strength and weight advantages. Pairs have a fin towards the rear, to help prevent roll and yaw. The riggers are staggered alternately along the boat so that the forces apply asymmetrically to each side of the boat.
A coxless pair is often considered the most difficult boat to row, as each rower must balance his/her side in cooperation with the other, apply equal power, place their catch and extract the blade simultaneously in order to move the boat efficiently. It requires excellent technique, communication and experience.
"Coxless pair" is one of the classes recognized by the International Rowing Federation and is competed in the Olympic Games
USA 1967 5c sg ?, scott1335.

BUNGO or BONGO dugout

The ‘bungo” or “bongo” is in Panama a large 18th century dugout canoe, that carried passengers and cargo on the Rio Changres across the isthmus from Panama City to Porto Bello.

During the gold rush to California it carried the forty-niners the nickname for the first passengers to the gold fields in 1844 from the Rio Charges at Gorgona to Las Cruises a distance of forty-mile which took three to four days. From there the passengers were taken overland to Panama City, to board a passenger vessel for San Francisco.
The bongo was partly covered with a palm-thatched shelter as seen on the stamp, to protect the passengers against the sun and rain.
The bongo was paddled by a crew of 18 – 20 . Length ca 37 m. Could carry only a few passengers with their luggage. The stamp shows only three crew poling the bongo.
More on this set of stamps is given on viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7055#!lightbox[gallery]/1/

Source: Various internet sites and Aak to Zumbra a dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.
Canal Zone 1949 6c sg 196, scott 143.

Gabon ships on stamps 1965.

This stamps issued by Gabon were designed by the French marine painter Roger Chapelet (1903 – 1995)

25Fr. Vaisseau an French term for ship. The stamp issued by Gabon in 1965 shows a ship of the 16th Century.
It looks that a model of a galleon is depict. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11966

50F. Vaisseau, merchant ship of the XVII century. The merchantman at that time was used for trading and commerce but she was also armed to protect her for pirate attacks.

85 Fr. In the 18th century, the term frigate referred to ships that were usually as long as a ship of the line and were square-rigged on all three masts (full rigged), but were faster and with lighter armament, used for patrolling and escort. In the definition adopted by the British Admiralty, they were rated ships of at least 28 guns, carrying their principal armaments upon a single continuous deck — the upper deck — while ships of the line possessed two or more continuous decks bearing batteries of guns.
Source: Wikipedia.

The stamp shows a two-masted brig. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11973

Gabon 1965 85f sg230/233, scott ?


As given by Watercraft Philately the small dinghy is a “pram dinghy” with a length of 6ft.
A small rowboat used as a tender and also used as a small racing yacht. Normally rowed, when used for racing fitted out with a sail and an outboard rudder.
In the past often used as a tender by the yachts anchored in the harbour, but have now been mostly replaced by a small inflatable.

Cayman Islands 1962 1sh 9p sg176, scott 164.
Source: Internet.


Canada issued in 1967 a set of stamps with paintings, the 20c stamp shows us a painting made by James Wilson Morrice ... n-morrice/
The painting combines three views: the train station at Lévis at the St Lawrence River, and a view of Cape Diamond taken from the ferry on the St Lawrence River in the centre of the painting, sailing between Lévis and Quebec. The painting is now in the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa.
The painting was made in 1906 and at that time the ferry service was owned by the Quebec & Levis Ferry Co., Quebec, and in 1906 the company owned four ferries, which ferry is shown is not known.

The ferries owned by the company were steam ferries.

SOUTH, built as a wooden ferry by A. Russell at Levis in 1885, tonnage 349 ton.
1924 Sold to T. Hardy, Quebec, not renamed.
First quarter of 1934 broken up.
POLARIS, built as a wooden ferry by R. Sample, Levis in 1883, tonnage 533 ton.
1924 Sold to H. Lizotte, Quebec, not renamed.
Second quarter of 1928 broken up.
PILOT, built as a wooden ferry by R. Sample, Levis in 1884, tonnage 427 ton.
18 November 1917 she was wrecked at Red Island, St Lawrence.
QUEEN, a wooden ferry built by E. Samson, Levis in 1886, tonnage 367 ton.
1924 Sold to La Traverse de Levis Ltee, Quebec, not renamed.
1927 Broken up.

It looks that in 1924 the Quebec & Levis Ferry Co., was going out of business.

Canada 1967 20c sg 587, scott464.
Source: and internet


The stamp issued in 1973 by France shows us the largest lock in France, also three cargo ships, one is leaving the lock, the ships look like bulkers, and have not been identified.

The lock is the François Premier lock in Le Havre in north France, and the lock provide access to a huge basin and shipping terminals located upstream of the industrial port area of Le Havre.
The lock was completed in 1971, with a length of 400 metre and wide of 67 metres.

Source: Internet
France 1973 0.90Fr. sg 1998, scott 1364.

Lady of Mann

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Lady of Mann

Postby shipstamps » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:22 pm

Lady of Mann.jpg
Click image to view full size
Click image to view full size
Click image to view full size
Known as the company's "centenary" steamer, the Lady of Mann was built in the company's 100th year by Vickers - Armstrongs Ltd., Barrow, and launched on March 4, 1930. She was named in honour of the Duchess of Atholl who per-formed the launching ceremony. The Duke of Atholl's ancestors were rulers of the Isle of Man, under the British Crown and bore the title of Lords of Mann.
This vessel was the sixth ship built by the Barrow yard for the owners and it is worth noting here that her construction was very speedy. The order for the ship was placed on July 3, 1929 and the keel laid on October 19. By December 21, the framing was completed and the plating finished by January 27, 1930. She was ready for service in June of that year. The Lady of Mann is the largest vessel and has the biggest carrying capacity in the fleet with Passenger accommodation for 2,873. Her dimensions are: 371 ft. (o.a.) x 50 ft. x 18 ft 6 in. and she has a gross tonnage of 3,104.unit in the fleet and is the fifth new ship to enter the service since the Second World War;
British Sailors Society label. Sea Breezes 7/54
Isle of Mann SG553 607

Of the three Isle of Man ships that saw action on D-Day, the Lady of Mann had the most eventful record of the war. At Dunkirk, it was estimated that she rescued some 9,000 wen during the operation, then later on Operation "Ariel" she rescued 5,000 troops. On D-Day, she was in action again - this time she had been converted to an LSI (H) (Landing Ship Infantry, H-Hand hoisted), carrying six landing assault craft and 500 men. She was also the headquarters ship of the 512th Assault Flotilla, who were responsible for controlling the landings on JUNO BEACH.
Site Admin
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: Lady of Mann

Postby aukepalmhof » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:17 pm

Click image to view full size
Isle of Man 2004 47p sg?, scott?, she is the vessel on the left of the stamp, the other on the right is the BEN-MY-CHREE IV.
Posts: 5304
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Lady of Mann

Postby Arturo » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:35 pm

Lady of Mann.jpg
Click image to view full size
Click image to view full size
2.jpg (3.9 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Click image to view full size
3.jpg (5.48 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Click image to view full size
4.jpg (4.09 KiB) Viewed 680 times
Click image to view full size
Lady of Mann RMS (Passenger Ship) 1930

RMS Lady of Mann was a passenger ship, built by Vickers Shipbuilding and Engineering for the Isle of Man Steam Packet Companyat Barrow-in-Furness in 1930, at a cost of £ 249,073 (£13,739,545 in 2015). Certificated to carry 2873 passengers and 81 crew, she was commissioned to operate on the Island's busy Douglas - Liverpool;Douglas - Fleetwood routes, and had a maximum speed of 23 knots.

Her hull was at first the Company's conventional black, but was changed to white and green in 1933, only to revert to black after her war service.

The year 1930 saw the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company celebrate its centenary, and to mark this, the Lady of Mann was to be the largest ship ever built for it to that date.

The Lady of Mann Clyde trials recorded 22.79 knots, but her speed was often over 23 knots on regular service. She was driven by two sets of single-reduction geared turbines; 220 pounds per square inch (1,500 kPa), and developed a shaft horsepower of 11,500. The ship was oil-fired by cylindrical Scotch boilers.

Lady of Mann's general design and machinery followed closely that of the Ben-my-Chree, with the improvements gained by the three years operation of that vessel. Her initial work was on the Douglas - Fleetwood service where she took the place of the Viking, and engaged on Sunday excursions from that port.

During the 1930s, like her sisters Ben-my-Chree and Mona's Queen, "The Lady" was painted with a white hull over green.

See topics: “Ben-my-Chree (III) 1908” and “Mona’s Queen (III) Ferry”

This was a summer colour scheme adopted by the Company, and proved immensely popular with the public. All three sisters were exceedingly well appointed vessels, and upon entering service were each met with high acclaim.

No records are available concerning the number of passengers carried by the Lady of Mann from when she entered service until the outbreak of war.

During WW-II, under the command of her Master Captain T.C. (Daddy) Woods O.B.E., she joined seven of her Steam Packet sisters at Dunkirk and then at the evacuation of the north-western French ports. After this she spent four years on transport work from Lerwick. She then went south and was engaged in the D-Day landingson the Cherbourg peninsula.

Requisitioned as a personnel ship at the outbreak of war, she had a good turn of speed, and was able to get in and out of the Dunkirk bombardments and lift 4,262 men back to the relative safety of Dover and Folkstone. She remained for six hours in Dunkirk harbour on May 31, 1940, despite having been damaged by shellfire from shore batteries on her approach and being bombed by enemy aircraft.

She emerged from the bombing with little damage and claimed one enemy aircraft shot down. She was back at Dunkirk in the early hours of June 1 and took off 1,500 casualties. The following day, June 2, she again steamed into Dunkirk but was ordered back for lack of troops, as by this time the evacuation was drawing towards its close. She picked up 18 French soldiers from a small boat on her way back and landed them in England. On the night of June 3, she made her last trip to the shattered harbour. She berthed alongside the East Pier at a little after midnight on the morning of June 4, and left for England after embarking another 1,244 troops in little over an hour. Later that afternoon, Operation Dynamo ended.

Over the period of the evacuation, the Lady of Mann had lifted more troops to safety than any other vessel.

Twelve days later, the Lady of Mann was in action once more. She became part of the force of personnel ships assigned to Operation Ariel, the evacuation from the ports of north-west France.

She was at Le Havre, Cherbourg and Brest, embarking troops as the enemy advanced in a vast encircling movement. Along with her Steam Packet sister Manx Maid, the Lady was one of the last three ships to leave Le Havre.

See topic: “Caesarea ferry 1910” (First name of Manx Maid)

It was estimated she had 5,000 troops on board as she pulled out under air attack.

From the following August until April 1944, the Lady of Mann performed troop transport duties, mainly between Invergordon, Aberdeen and Lerwick to the Faroe Islands. Her war career was similar to that of the Ben-my-Chree, and probably no other two ships were in each other's company on so many occasions. Both "The Lady" and "The Ben" routinely demonstrated their qualities as fine sea boats in the most adverse weather, and it was not uncommon for them to have to await their naval escorts, it being too rough for them to proceed at their speed.

At times she was also engaged ferrying troops and air force personnel from the RMS Queen Mary, which served throughout the war as a troop transport ship.

See topic: “Queen Mary (1936)”

"The Queen" would arrive in Belfast from Canada or the United States, turn around quickly and set off again westwards. "The Lady", was one of several vessels that serviced the big Cunarder, taking troops on the final leg of their sea voyage to Greenock.

The Lady of Mann was then taken over by the Admiralty and converted to an Landing Ship Infantry (Hand Hoisting) vessel with a carrying capacity of six landing craft, 55 officers and 435 men.

On D-Day, 6 June 1944, she was the headquarters ship of the senior officer of the 512th Assault Flotilla, responsible for the landings in the Juno area near Courselles. Later in the month, while still on the Normandy operations, she was retired for repairs and then went back to her duties as a personnel carrier. She served as such for the remainder of the war, carrying on for some months afterwards moving troops and bringing out displaced persons. She was mostly Channel plying to Ostende and the Hook from such ports as Dover and Harwich.

The Lady of Mann returned to her home port, Douglas, on 9 March 1946, where she was given a civic reception. A local paper that week said that during her war service the Lady of Mann had carried more than 2,000000 troops.

She was reconditioned by Cammell Laird & Co at Birkenhead and after her proud war service, Lady of Mann returned to her duties with the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company on 14 June 1946.

Like her sister Ben-my-Chree, "The Lady" only sailed during the summer season, and this may go some way to explaining their relatively long lives.

Her career continued until August 1971. Lady of Mann made her final sailing from Liverpool at 09:00hrs on August, 14. In the afternoon she made passage from Douglas to Ardrossan, returning the following day, Sunday, August 15.

After a final day in her home port, Douglas, she departed bound for Barrow-in-Furness where she was laid up awaiting sale.

On December 14, 1971, Lady of Mann was sold to Arnott Young and Co., Glasgow. She was taken under tow by the tug Wrestler on December 29, arriving at Dalmuir on December 31, for breaking up.

The Lady of Mann was an exceedingly popular ship. When she came to be broken up, enthusiasts wrote from all parts of Britain hoping to get souvenirs from her.

The name Lady of Mann was resurrected by the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company in 1976, when the fourth car ferry MS Lady of Mann joined the fleet.

See Topic: “Lady of Mann II”

Isle of Mann 2000, S.G.?, Scott: 882.

Source: Wikipedia.
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:11 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 89 guests