SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year. Full membership includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

LABOUR DAY

This stamp for the Labour Day festivity in British Honduras shows us a rowing regatta in Belize City, The craft used in the regatta, with as it looks have a square bow is most probably a “batteau” , a term in Belize applied to a “pitpan” that has been enlarged by sawing it in half longitudinally and inserting a wide plank. May require up to 40 paddlers.

British Honduras 1973 10c sg344, scott309.
Source: Aak to Zumbra a Dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.

BARON BLISS DAY

Baron Bliss Day: The stamp issued by British Honduras in 1973 of 3c shows us some yachts, most probably local yachts and not possible to identify during a race in Belize City on Baron Bliss Day.
http://mybelize.net/history/baron-bliss-day/
Mr Clem Reiss in Watercraft Philately 1981 page 30 gives on the stamp:
The stamp illustrates an unusual sail arrangement. The main sail on the lead boat would cause the boat to jib. A jib would place the crewman on the hiking strap in jeopardy of being knocked into the water.

British Honduras 1973 3c sg343, scott308.

Shamrock V (J-Class Yacht) 1930

Shamrock V was the first British yacht to be built to the new J-Class rule. She was commissioned by Sir Thomas Lipton for his fifth (and ultimately last) America's Cup challenge.

See Topic: “Sir Thomas Lipton (A Famous America’s Cup Character)”

Although restored many times she is the only J not to have ever fallen into dereliction. Sir Thomas Lipton and Shamrock V depicted on the stamp.

The services of Charles Ernest Nicholson were once again employed to design the challenger and she was constructed at the Camper and Nicholsons yard in Gosport. Shamrock V was built from wood, with mahogany planking over steel frames and, most significantly, a hollow spruce mast. As a result of rule changes, she was the first British contender for the America's Cup to carry the Bermuda rig. Following her launch on 14 April 1930 she showed early promise on the British Regatta circuit winning 15 of 22 races. She also underwent continuous upgrading with changes to her hull shape, rudder, and modifications to the rig to create a more effective racing sail plan before departing to America in time for the 15th America's Cup.

Four New York syndicates responded to Lipton's challenge each creating a J-Class, Weetamoe, Yankee, Whirlwind, and Enterprise. This was a remarkable response particularly during depression-hit America with each yacht costing at least half a million dollars; and would serve to highlight that despite the J-Class' immense power and beauty, their Achilles heel would be the exorbitant cost to construct and race them. Winthrop Aldrick's syndicate, Enterprise, emerged from the competitive round-robins as the eventual defender.

Enterprise was the smallest J-Class to be built, her size being an early indication of the ruthless efficiency that was employed by the renowned naval architect Starling Burgess. The efficiency of design was coupled to a number of pioneering features such as the Park Avenue Boom, hidden lightweight winches and the world’s first duralumin mast.

The first of the best-of-seven races was a convincing victory for Enterprise winning by nearly three minutes.Shamrock V was to fare worse in the second race losing by nearly 10 minutes. The third race finally provided the assembled thousands on the shore at Newport, the racing they craved. Shamrock V 's initial lead at the start was relinquished to Enterprise after a tacking duel.

Following this surrender disaster struck, as Shamrock V 's main halyard parted and her sail collapsed to the deck. The fourth race clinched the cup for Enterprise after which Sir Thomas Lipton was heard to utter "I can't win".

Shamrock V 's challenge was plagued by bad luck and haunted by one of the most ruthless skippers in America's Cup history, Harold Vanderbilt. Sir Thomas Lipton, after endearing himself to the American public during 31 years and five attempts, would die the following year never fulfilling his ambition to win the cup.

The British aviation industrialist Sir Thomas Sopwith was to be the next custodian of Shamrock V. Already a keen yachtsman, Sopwith bought her in 1931 as a trial horse to gain J-Class racing experience. He would also add to Nicholson's skills with his own aeronautical expertise and material knowledge to build and perfect his challenger for the 16th America's cup, Endeavour.

Shamrock V was then sold to Sopwith's aviation friend, and fellow yachtsman, Sir Richard Fairey of Fairey Aviation who continued to incorporate aerodynamic and hydrodynamic modifications as well as campaigning her against other J-Class yachts (Velsheda, Endeavour, and Yankee) during the 1935 regatta season. In 1937,Shamrock V was sold to the Italian senator and industrialist Mario Crespi. This change in ownership prompted Shamrock V 's only name change. Italian Fascist law had banned the use of foreign names in society, accordingly Shamrock V was renamed Quadrifoglio (cloverleaf). Crespi was also the first owner who modified Shamrock V for comfort by installing her maple interior.

A renaissance for Shamrock V began in 1962 with her acquisition by the Italian yachtsman Piero Scanu. He instigated a comprehensive three year overhaul commencing in 1967 with Shamrock V returning to the Camper and Nicholsons yard. The hull and deck received significant attention along with the modernisation of the systems and engines. The effects of this rebuild were to last the next twenty years during which a remarkable repeat of history was enacted when, in 1986,Shamrock V returned to the ownership of the Lipton Tea Company who donated her to the Museum of Yachting at Newport, Rhode Island. Another extensive restoration was instigated by her new owners and undertaken by Elizabeth Meyer in 1989.

Following changes of ownership in the 1990s and another renovation, Shamrock V participated in a fitting reunion in August 2001 with the only two remaining J-Classes, Endeavour, and Velsheda, for the America's Cup Jubilee in the Solent.

Dominica 1992, S.G.?, Scott: 1530.

Source: Wikipedia

Sir Thomas Lipton (A Famous America’s Cup Character)

Sir Thomas Lipton holds a place in the America's Cup heart as being the most reliably consistent and deftly congenial loser. Five times he challenged for the Cup, five times being defeated. Despite his best laid plans and momentous effort to bring the Cup back to Britain, the tea magnate simply didn't cut the mustard. Nonetheless, he did have a penchant for beautiful boats. His last challenger, Shamrock V, never really stood a chance of winning the race but it did win marks for pure beauty.

Sir Thomas Johnstone Lipton, 1st Baronet, KCVO (10 May 1848 – 2 October 1931) was a Scotsman of Ulster-Scotsparentage who was a self-made man, merchant, and yachtsman. He created the Lipton tea brand and was the most persistent challenger in the history of the America's Cup.

Lipton was born in Glasgow on 10 May 1848. His parents, Thomas Lipton senior and Frances Lipton (née Johnstone), were Ulster-Scots from County Fermanagh. The Liptons had been smallholders in Fermanagh for generations but, by the late 1840s, Thomas Lipton's parents had decided to leave Ireland and move to Scotland in search of a better living for themselves and their young family. The Liptons had settled in Glasgow by 1847. Lipton's father would hold a number of occupations throughout the 1840s and 1850s, including working as a labourer and as a printer.

Thomas Lipton was educated at St. Andrew's Parish School close to Glasgow Green between 1853 and 1863. By the early 1860s his parents were the proprietors of a shop at 11 Crown Street in the Gorbals where they sold ham, butter, and eggs. It was with the aim of supplementing his parents' limited income that Thomas Lipton left school at the age of thirteen and found employment as a printer's errand boy, and later as a shirtcutter. He also enrolled at a night school, the Gorbals Youth's School, during this period.

In 1864 Lipton signed up as a cabin boy on a steamer running between Glasgow and Belfast and was captivated by life aboard the ship and the stories told by sailors who had traveled to the United States. After being let go by the steamer company, Lipton quickly used the wages he had saved to purchase passage on a ship bound for the U.S., where he would spend five years working and traveling all over the country. Lipton had a number of jobs during this time: at a tobacco plantation in Virginia, as an accountant and bookkeeper at a rice plantation in South Carolina, as a door-to-door salesman inNew Orleans, a farmhand in New Jersey, and finally as a grocery assistant in New York.

He returned to Glasgow in 1870, initially helping his parents run their small shop in the Gorbals. The following year he opened his first provision shop, Lipton's Market. This enterprise proved to be successful and Lipton soon established a chain of groceries, first across Glasgow, the rest of Scotland, until finally he had stores throughout Britain. While Lipton was expanding his empire, he established the Lipton tea brand, which remains in business as a subsidiary of Unilever.

King Edward VII and King George V both shared their interest in yachting with Lipton and enjoyed his company. Between 1899 and 1930 he challenged the American holders of the America's Cup through the Royal Ulster Yacht Club five times with his yachts called Shamrock through Shamrock V.

See Topics: “Shamrock, Shamrock III, Shamrock IV and Shamrock V”.

His well-publicised efforts to win the cup, which earned him a specially designed cup for "the best of all losers", made his tea famous in the United States. Lipton, a self-made man, was no natural member of the British upper class and the Royal Yacht Squadron only admitted him shortly before his death. Lipton was inducted into the America's Cup Hall of Fame in 1993.

During World War I, Sir Thomas Lipton helped organizations of medical volunteers. He placed his yachts at the disposal of the Red Cross, the Scottish Women's Hospitals Committee of Dr. Elsie Inglis, the Serbian Supporting Fund, etc., for the transport of medical volunteers (doctors and nurses) and medical supplies. In Serbia during the winter of 1914–1915 and the spring of 1915, several British hospital teams were working with Serbian military and civilian doctors and nurses.

He was created a Knight Commander of the Royal Victorian Order in March 1901 by King Edward VII.

A portrait of Lipton appeared on the cover of Time magazine on 3 November 1924.

He died at Osidge on 2 October 1931 and bequeathed the majority of his fortune to his native city of Glasgow, including his yachting trophies, which are now on display at the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. Sir Thomas Lipton was buried alongside his parents and siblings in Glasgow's Southern Necropolis.

Dominica 1992, S.G.?, Scott: 1530.

Senegal 1999, S.G.?, Scott: 1371.

Source: Wikipedia.

U-BOAT TYPE VIIC 41

Type VIIC/41 was a slightly modified version of the VIIC and had the same armament and engines. The difference was a stronger pressure hull giving them a deeper crush depth and lighter machinery to compensate for the added steel in the hull, making them slightly lighter than the VIIC. A total of 91 were built; all of them from U-1271 onwards lacked the fittings to handle mines.
Today one Type VIIC/41 still exists: U-995 is on display at Laboe (north of Kiel), the only surviving Type VII in the world.

Maldives 2015 in margin of sheet SgMS?, scott?
Source: Wikipedia

YURY DOLGORUKIY (K-535)

Built as a nuclear submarine by JSC.PO Sevmash shipyard in Severodvinsk for the Russian Navy.
02 November 1996 laid down.
13 February 2008 launched as the YURY DOLGORUKIY (K-535) one of the Borei-class submarines.
Displacement 14,720 ton surfaced, 24,000 ton submerged, dim. 170.08 x 13,47 x 10.03m. (draught)
Propulsion: 1 – OK-650B nuclear reactor which delivered steam to 1 AEU steam turbine, one shaft, speed 25 knots surface, submerged 32kn..
Armament: 16 - Bulava SLBMs missiles, 6 – SS-N-15 cruise missiles. 6 - 21 inch torpedo tubes.
Crew 130.
10 January 2013 commissioned.

K-535 YURIY DOLGORUKIY is the first Borei-class ballistic missile submarine of the Project 955 in service with the Russian Navy. Named after the founder of Moscow, Yuri Dolgoruki, it was laid down on November 2, 1996 and was first planned to enter service in 2001. However, the R-39M missile that the Borei class was supposed to carry was abandoned after several failed tests, and the submarine was redesigned for the Bulava missile. The Bulava missile is smaller than the original R-39M, and in the 2007 START treaty data exchange it was reported that all Borei-class submarines would carry 16 missiles instead of 12, as originally intended. As of January 2013 the submarine is active with the Russian Navy.
Deployment
The submarine was rolled out of its construction hall into a launch dock on 15 April 2007 in Severodvinsk, when it was about 82% complete. The Russian government has allocated nearly 5 billion rubles, or 40% of the Navy's 2007 weapons budget, for the completion of the submarine.
There was some speculation that YURIY DOLGORUKIY would be rushed through the rest of its production and testing phases in order to be ready for the 2008 Russian presidential elections. Much of the ship's equipment remained uninstalled and untested, a process that would normally take over a year to complete.
On 13 February 2008 YURIY DOLGORUKIY was finally launched from its floating dock in Severodvinsk where the final outfitting took place. The submarine's reactor was first activated on 21 November 2008. and the submarine began its sea trials on 19 June 2009.
Sea Trials
In July 2010 the ship passed the first of several company sea trials, in which navigation systems, buoyancy control system, and some other characteristics were tested at sea. All company tests were completed by the end of September 2010 and she was then preparing for state trials. It was initially planned to conduct the first torpedo launches during the ongoing state trials in December 2010 and then in same month conduct the first launch of the main weapon system, the R-30 (RSM-56) Bulava missile. The plan was then postponed to mid-summer 2011 due to ice conditions in White Sea. It was expected to be commissioned to Russian Pacific Fleet in the first half of 2011, but in December 2010 it was announced that the submarine had technical defects and would be laid up for repairs. The work will take at least six months, and after this the submarine would continue the Bulava missile tests and could be ready for active duty by the later half of 2011. On 7 June 2011 the submarine left the Sevmash shipyard to continue sea trials and on 28 June the first SLBM (RSM-56 Bulava) was successfully launched.
On 12 January 2012 it was reported the submarine had successfully finished state trials and that it would get ready for commissioning within the next couple of months. It was later reported that both YURI DOLGORUKIY and ALEXANDER NEVSKY would enter service in the summer of 2012. Dmitry Rogozin later confirmed that the submarine will be transferred to the Russian navy on July 29, 2012. YURY DOLGORUKIY was expected to join the Russian Navy by the end of the year, but tests carried out during the latest sea trials revealed a number of technical flaws. Software glitches in the automated launch control system prevented further tests of the Bulava ballistic missile, the submarine’s main weapon. “We are expecting the YURY DOLGORUKIY submarine to enter service in 2013,” defense minister Serdyukov told Russian lawmakers at a meeting on defense issues.
The second Borei class submarine, ALEXANDER NEVSKY, could join Russia’s Pacific Fleet in 2014, the minister said. Sevmash shipyard claimed RUR 30 mln from Russian defense ministry for non-accepting YURY DOLGORUKIY because it has to maintain the submarine, since defense minister Anatoly Serdiukov decided to postpone commissioning of the sub and, therefore, deferral of all maintenance expenditures. According to the source, non-accepting of the submarine is related to the non-availability of mooring quays, primarily at Kamchatka where the first two Borei-class subs, YURY DOLGORUKIY and ALEXANDER NEVSKY will be stationed.
Finally YURY DOLGORUKIY joined the Russian Navy on 10 January 2013. The official ceremony of raising the Russian Navy colors on the submarine was led by Russian Defense Minister Sergey Shoigu. The Defense Minister, speaking via video-link, informed the President (Vladimir Putin) that St. Andrew's ensign had been raised on the submarine, symbolically marking its introduction into the Russian Navy. Commenting on the news on Twitter, Russian Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin, posted: “Tremble, bourgeoisie! You’re done with!”. In 2014 after a series of exercises, the submarine is fully operational.

Maldives 2015 Fr22, sg?, scott?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_su ... kiy_(K-535)
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Tynwald

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Tynwald

Postby shipstamps » Wed Jan 14, 2009 4:04 pm


Click image to view full size

Click image to view full size
Tynwald was built by Robert Napier and launched in 1846. With a gross tonnage of 700, she had dimensions: 188 ft. (b.p.) x 27 ft. x 13 ft 6 in. and was rigged as a barquentine. Her cost was £21,500 and she was in service until 1866 when she was sold. A particular point of interest is that her figure head represented a Manx - Scandinavian king in armour.
British Sailors Society label. SG543 Sea Breezes7/54
shipstamps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: Tynwald

Postby aukepalmhof » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:48 pm

She was built as an iron 3-mast paddle steamer by R.Napier & Sons at Glasgow for the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Ltd.
Launched on 28 April 1846 under the name TYNWALD, named after the ancient hull or mound upon which the laws of the island are yearly promulgated.
Tonnage 700 tons, dim. 188 x 13.6 x 16.6ft.
Oscillating steam engine 280 nhp, speed around 18/19 knots.
She carried a figurehead of a full length Manx Scandinavian king in armor. Had a clipper bow.
Had accommodation for 781 passengers.
Building cost £ 21.500.

Used in the passenger and cargo service between Liverpool and the Island of Man. Her cabins were elegantly furnished and decorated and there was a large deck-saloon.
Her first voyage from Liverpool to Douglas a distance of 84 miles, she covered in 4 hours and 18 minutes.
When on charter with the Liverpool and Belfast Company in December 1846 she collided with the mail steamer URGENT during dense fog, damaged one of her paddleboxes. There was a repair bill of £386 but the company claimed from the other party the nice sum of £2.004 in compensation for damage and loss of earnings, the claim was settled for £ 1.489.
During the winter seasons in 1850 she was chartered for a voyage to the Mediterranean, she made calls in Gibraltar, Genoa and Leghorn before returning home, she made the roundtrip in 30 days.
December 1863 in collision with the Naval brig WILD WAVE, costing the company £1.128.
During 1861 she carried the new appointed Lieutenant Governor Pigott to the island, he settled in Douglass.
From 1863 was she only used as cargo vessel.
1866 Sold for £5.000 to Caird and Co in part payment for TYNWALD II. Broken up the same year.

On the stamp she is depict moored alongside in the port of Douglas.

Source: West Coast Steamers by Duckworth and Langmuir. Island Lifeline by Connery Chappell. Some websites but lost the URL.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 4031
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 19 guests

Sponsored Links
cron