Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year. Full membership includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.


A new set of stamps has been released on the subject of William Hodges, the artist who accompanied Captain Cook when he was first to land on the Island in 1775.
Entitled 'William Hodges: The Art of Discovery', the set of four stamps and a First Day Cover were released on September 30th.
William Hodges was born in London. In 1772 he was appointed draughtsman on Captain James Cook's second voyage and he is best known for the paintings and sketches of the places he visited during that journey, including Antarctica and Easter Island. The apparent purpose of the second voyage was to search for evidence of a mythical, but much speculated upon, southern continent.
The Admiralty brief to Hodges was “to make drawings and paintings of such places as they may touch at worth notice, in their intended voyage” and to “give a more perfect idea thereof that can be formed from written descriptions only”. While Hodges drew coastal views for navigation purposes, his main work was to gather material for landscape paintings. During the course of their three-year journey, the crews of Cook's RESOLUTION and its sister? ship ADVENTURE, were exposed to extreme weather conditions, environments and peoples. These ranged from the icy wastes of Antarctic waters to the first Pacific landfall in the dense rain forest of New Zealand's Dusky Sound, from the complex, hierarchical cultures of the cluster of Society Islands to the most geographically remote of all Polynesian societies, Easter Island.
Cook's expedition circumnavigated the globe at very high southern latitude, and on January 17th 1773 became the first to cross the Antarctic Circle. Cook discovered the South Sandwich Islands and was first to land on South Georgia. He mapped the islands and took possession of South Georgia for Britain.
The voyage required Hodges to respond to a staggering range of subjects, from the fantastical shapes of sea-worn ice to panoramic renderings of island cliffs and shores. He was asked to produce not only studies of the landscape, but portraits and botanical drawings. The artist proved remarkably flexible. Faced with exotic and unfamiliar landscapes, he was able to modify his conventional ways of working. These paintings were some of the first landscapes to use light and shadow for dramatic purposes. Hodges' use of light as a compositional element in its own right was a marked departure from the classical landscape tradition and contemporary art critics complained that his use of light and colour contrasts gave his paintings a rough and unfinished appearance.
On his return to London, Hodges was employed to supervise the production of engravings to illustrate the official account of the voyage. He also produced a series of epic paintings to commemorate the voyage.
The sketch of Cook's ship RESOLUTION in a stream of pack-ice that features on one of the 70p stamps is owned by 'The Captain Cook Memorial Museum'. The other 70p stamp features one of Hodges' epic paintings from the voyage, 'A View of the Monuments of Easter Island'. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7408&p=11098#p11098
The 95p stamp features Hodges' portrait of Captain Cook.
The etching on the £1.15 stamp is taken from an original print entitled “Possession Bay in the Island of South Georgia. Drawn from nature by W. Hodges. Engrav'd by S. Smith”, this engraving was included in the book “A voyage towards the South Pole, and round the World”, by James Cook.

Source: South Georgia Post.
South Georgia 2010 70/1.15 sg?, scott?


The stamp of Guatemala depict the banana loading pier in Puerto Barrios, which during a hurricane now partly is demolished. On both sides of the pier is berthed a Great White Fleet ship, of which the nearest is given that she is the CHIRIQUI, the other vessel is not identified.
Built as a passenger-cargo-reefer vessel for the liner service of the United Mail SS Co. (White Great Fleet) by the Newport News Shipbuilding & Dry-dock Co, Newport News under yard 346.
14 November 1931 launched as the CHIRIQUI, christened by Mrs. J. Harris Robinson, she was named after the Panamanian province Chiriqui. Five sisters.
Tonnage 6,932 gross, 3,184 net, 4,425 dwt, dim. 136.17 x 18.28 x 11.59m., length bpp. 126.49m.
Powered by two General Electric steam turbines connected to electro motors, 11,000 shp, twin shafts, speed 18 knots.
Accommodation for 100 passengers.
Cargo capacity 270,000 cubic feet and could carry 50,000 stems of bananas.
18 March 1932 delivered to owners, and managed by United Fruit Company.

Her maiden voyage was from New York on 24 March to San Francisco where she arrived on 14th April. She was then put in the Pacific coastal service from San Francisco to west coast of Central America.
1935 Put in the service from New York to the Carib and east coast of Central America.
04 June bareboat chartered by the US Government, and renamed USS TARAZED AF-13.
US Navy service
The US Navy bareboat chartered her through the Maritime Commission on 4 June 1941. Brewer's Drydock Co. of Staten Island, New York converted her for Navy use and she was commissioned on 14 June 1941, commanded by Cmdr J.M. Connally.
Neutrality period operations
TARAZED loaded supplies sailed to North Carolina to supply ships of the Neutrality Patrol. After returning to New York, she left late in August for a voyage to Iceland to resupply US and Royal Navy ships.
World War II North Atlantic operations
When the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor brought the United States into World War II, TARAZED was at Halifax, Nova Scotia preparing to join another convoy to Iceland. Upon completion of the voyage she went to Baltimore, Maryland, for an extensive overhaul before making resupply runs to Newfoundland, Iceland and Bermuda.
In July 1942 TARAZED reached Boston, Massachusetts, from Nova Scotia and loaded a cargo for Puerto Rico, Trinidad and Panama. On 21 September she returned to Baltimore with a cargo of sugar. She continued supply runs from Baltimore or Norfolk, Virginia, to the Caribbean until mid-1943.
Supporting the invasion of North Africa
On 8 June 1943 TARAZED joined Task Force 65 at Norfolk — headed for North Africa — and arrived at Mers el Kebir, Algeria, on 22 June. She partially unloaded there and, on the 30th, took the rest of her cargo to Oran.
On 4 July, TARAZED left for the US in convoy GUS-9. She reached Norfolk, VA on 23 July, was replenished, and left for Bermuda. After supplying Bermuda and Cuba she returned to the US, reaching Bayonne, New Jersey, on 13 August.
Eight days later TARAZED left for North Africa, reaching Mers el Kebir on 2 September. After calling at Bizerte and Algiers, she returned to the US in convoy GUS-15 and arrived at Norfolk on 4 October. Late that month, she joined convoy UGS-22 to take materiel to Oran, Bizerte and Palermo. Then, with the exception of a voyage to the Mediterranean in April, she took provisions to the Caribbean in the first five months of 1944.
Supporting the invasion of southern France
In June, TARAZED delivered provisions to ships in the ports of Plymouth, Swansea and Portland Harbour in Britain and at Belfast in Northern Ireland. She steamed from Norfolk on 24 August and arrived at Oran on 4 September to supply ships supporting the invasion of southern France. She continued logistics runs to the Mediterranean into April 1945 and turned to supplying bases and ports in the Caribbean until 14 December 1945 when she was ordered to report to the 8th Naval District for disposal.
Military honors and awards
TARAZED received one battle star for World War II.
Post-war decommissioning
TARAZED was decommissioned on 4 January 1946, was returned to United Fruit through the War Shipping Administration at New Orleans, Louisiana, the same day and was struck from the Navy list on 21 January 1946. She was renamed again in CHIRIQUI.
Post-war service
United Fruit restored the ship's pre-war name CHIRIQUI to her.
1958 United Fruit sold her to Union-Partenreederei T/S (Scipio & Co.) of Bremen, Germany, which also acquired her United Fruit sister ship JAMAICA. Union-Partenreederei changed CHIRIQUI’s name to BLEXEN. The new owner cut her down to a freighter by Todd New Orleans Shipyard.
Used in the banana trade from Central America to Europe.
28 November 1969 sold to Kaohsiung, Taiwan for scrapping, work of scrapping commenced in 1971.

References: Wikipedia. Going Bananas by Mark H. Goldberg. Lloyds Registry. Internet.
This article incorporates text from the public domain Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships.
Guatemala 1935 3c sg299, scott?


Built at a shipyard in Wiscasset, Maine.
The Salem Gazette of 8 September 1812 has the following
To be sold at Wiscasset a vessel of about 300 tons, pierced for 18 guns exclusive of bridle and stern ports.
Built after the model of the fast sailing ship VOLANTE and by the same master-workman.
28 September she arrived at Boston and she attracted the attention of a group of Salem men interested in privateering, and soon after the brig appeared they made a thorough inspection of her, whereafter she bought the vessel and she was named GRAND TURK (III), The ship had about 30 shareholders.
Tonnage 309 ton (bm), dim. 102 x 28 x 12.4ft.
Rigged as a brig.

16 February 1813 after she was fitted out at Salem as a privateer, she set sail for her first cruise.

When the War of 1812 broke out the GRAND TURK was refitted as a privateer, carrying eighteen guns and a complement of one hundred and fifty men.
At first she had as her commander Holten J. Breed, but toward the close of the war she was commanded by Nathan Green. Her first venture was made early
in 1813, when she ran down to the coast of Brazil, cruised some time in the West Indies, and late in May put into Portland, Maine. In this time the
GRAND TURK captured three large vessels carrying heavy armaments and a schooner, all of which were ordered to France.

In her second cruise, which was begun in July, 1813, the GRAND TURK made directly for European waters. On her voyage across the Atlantic she cap-
tured the schooner REBECCA,from Halifax bound for Bermuda, laden with live stock and provisions, which was sent into Portsmouth. Reaching the other side of the ocean, the GRAND TURK cruised for twenty days in the chops of the English Channel without meeting a British war craft of any descrip- tion. She came across many of their merchantmen, however, and took, in rapid succession, the schooner AGNES, laden with fish, which was sent into a French port; the ship WILLIAM, of ten guns, having a valuable cargo of drygoods, crates, wine, etc., from Cork for Buenos Ayres, which was sent into Salem; the brig INDIAN LASS,from Liverpool for St. Michael, with drygoods, which also was sent into Salem with thirty prisoners; the brig CATHARINE, from Lisbon for London; and the schooner BRITANNIA, for the West
Indies, which was sent into Portland. The CATHARINE shortly afterward was recaptured by the English brig of war BACCHUS, but before the prize could
gain port the GRAND TURK again loomed up on her horizon and seized her for the second time. To make sure that she would not again fall into the hands
of the enemy, the Americans, after taking out the most valuable portion of the cargo, burned her.
Continuing her cruise in English waters, the GRAND TURK added to her list of valuable prizes the sloop CAROLINE,from London for St. Michael, laden
with drygoods. The cargo was transferred to the privateer, but the sloop being of little value, and the prisoners in the privateer becoming so numerous as to be dangerous, the CAROLINE was released and ordered to the nearest port with the prisoners. Soon afterward the privateer captured the merchantman COSSACK, laden with wine. This vessel was recaptured by the 74-gun ship of the line BULWARK, but, like the CATHARINE, was again captured by the Americans; this time by the privateer SURPRISE, of Baltimore, and was sent into Salem. After burning or sinking the schooner PINK; the brig BROTHERS, from St. John's for Liverpool, with lumber aboard; the brig ROBERT STEWART, also with lumber; the schooner COMMERCE, laden with fish; and releasing the brig BELGRADE, from Malta for Falmouth after taking
some guns out of her the GRAND TURK returned to Salem in November, 1813, having made a cruise of one hundred and three days, and with only forty-
four men of her original complement of one hundred and fifty left. One of her prizes had a cargo invoiced at thirty thousand pounds sterling.

On her third cruise which started on 17 February 1814 she sighted 01 May 1814 the British mail-packet HINCHINBROOKE see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13246#!lightbox[gallery]/3/

This privateer made one more short run to sea with fairly good success, but it was on her last cruise, when under the command of Captain Nathan Green, that she made her greatest reputation.

Half an hour after noon on Sunday, January 1, 1815, Captain Green stowed his anchors away and cleared his deck preparatory for sailing from Salem,
and at 2 p. M. he passed Baker's Island. Nothing more than an occasional glimpse of a British frigate or a ship of the line, to which the GRAND TURK
promptly showed a clean pair of heels, served to break the monotony of the cruise until 3.30 P. M., February 17th, when the privateer was in the vicinity of Pernambuco. At that time a small sail was sighted, which proved to be a catamaran, and for the purpose of gaining information as to the proposed movements of British merchant ships Captain Green boarded her. It happened that the craft had just left the port, and her master informed the
Americans that there were eight English vessels in the harbor, some of them ready to sail. This was the news Captain Green had been longing for, and he determined to hover off the port until some of the ships sailed. At six o'clock that evening he had approached sufficiently near Pernambuco to distinguish the shipping. Two days later, or at 5.30 P. M., Sunday, February 19th, his patience was rewarded by a sail appearing to the north.
Gradually drawing up on her during the night, he,at nine o'clock on the following morning, boarded the brig JOVEN FRANCISCO,sailing under Spanish colors from Pernambuco to London, but laden with a cargo of tea, coffee, sugar, and cinnamon consigned to British merchants. From her invoices and some letters found aboard, Captain Green was satisfied that the Spanish flag had been used merely as a cover, and that the craft and her cargo were in truth English property. Accordingly he seized her as a prize and placed Nathaniel Archer and some of his men aboard, with orders to make for the United States.

Scarcely had the last speck of the JOVEN FRANCISCO faded from the horizon when the people in the privateer were cheered by the sight of another sail, this one to the south, standing northward. Observing that she was coming directly upon the privateer, Captain Green allowed her to approach, and at 6.30 p. M., February 21st, he boarded her. She was found to be the British ship ACTIVE JANE, of Liverpool, from Rio Janeiro bound for Maranham. She had on board seven bags of specie, containing fourteen thousand milled rees, which were valued at about seventeen thousand five hundred dollars. A prize crew was placed aboard, with orders to keep near the GRAND TURK during the night. At daylight on the following morning Captain Green made a more thorough search of his prize, but finding nothing else of much value, he transferred the specie to his vessel and scuttled the merchantman.

From this time until March 10th the GRAND TURK cruised in this vicinity, occasioning much damage to the enemy's commerce. She stayed so long, how-
ever, that the English had time to collect several war ships, which were promptly sent out to capture the bold privateersman. Captain Green was fully alive to the growing danger of his position, and when at daylight, Friday, March 10th, the man at the masthead reported a sail in the eastern quarter, he promptly called all hands and sent them to quarters. Thinking that the stranger might be a merchantman, Captain Green cautiously ran down to her, but soon afterward he discovered another sail, this one being on the weather bow. This did not deter the GRAND TURK from continuing her approach to the first stranger, and she was fast drawing near to her,
when, at 6.30 A. M., she passed very...

LADY BE yacht

The LADY BE a Beneteau First 456 type sailing yacht was built by the Beneteau yard in French for a French racing team. The yacht was designed by German Frers.
Displacement 12.0 ton. Dim. 13.87 x 4.29 x 2.44m. (draught), length on waterline 11.99m.
1983 Delivered as the LADY BE.

The French team was not ready for racing and she was chartered by a New Zealand racing team.
Took part in the Admiral’s Cup 1983 under skipper of the late Sir Peter Blake in which she ended as 4th, and second in the Inshore Race.
SORC race 1984 in which she in class C ended as 4th.
She was sold to Russell Hoyt in Newport, R.I. and renamed in DESTINATION. Hoyt took with the yacht part in almost every important east coast yacht race.
Hoyt named all his yachts DESTINATION and what happened with the yacht is obscure the internet sites mix this yachts up or it is not clear which yacht they are talking about.
But in 2009 she took part in ARC 2009 under the name LADY BE and was owned by Jurgen Dobbelaer and the yacht sailed under Belgium flag.
11 May 2009 when she took part in this sailing race she got a leak by the rudder post when underway from Charleston to Bermuda, she returned to Charleston for repairs and abandoned the ARC 2009.
December 2009 bought in Charleston by Sailing Tours Naarden, Netherlands, not renamed.
March 2010 transported to the Netherlands and in 2010 in service as a charter yacht for day trips on the IJsselmeer in the Netherlands. Her homeport is Muiden.
Can take 12 guests.
2016 In service same name and owners.

Grenada 1992 $2 sg2440, scott2134.
Source: Internet.


The yacht MIDNIGHT SUN was designed by Doug Peterson and built by Baltic Yachts Oy Ab Ltd., Jakobstad, Finland for Jan Pehrsson, Sweden.
November 1981 work on the yacht commenced and she was delivered in 1982 as the MIDNIGHT SUN.
Dim. 24.72 x 5.7 x 3.85m. (draught), length on waterline 5.75m.
Weight of yacht 75,000 lb, the lightest maxi yacht in the world at that time.
She was made of foam sandwich layup using aircraft grade balsa, which provided greater flexibility in weight distribution. The deck was built over S-glass fibre beams.

Took first part in the Runt Gotland Race then in the Maxi Cup in Sardinia and the Mediterranean Sea Race in 1982. And in the 1983 SORC race in which she lost her rig and was withdrawn.
She returned to the UK and took part in the Fastnet Race and Maxi World Championships in which she was doing well.
Then she disappeared from the International racing scene.
I found her back as a charter yacht under the name MIDNIGHT SUN OF LONDON based in the Mediterranean.
Refitted in 1992 and an upgrade in 2004/05 of 1.5 million Euro. Has accommodation for 6 guests and 4 crew.
Fitted out with 1 Perkins Sabre diesel engine of 185 bhp. Speed 9 knots.
2016 It looks that she still sails as a charter sailing yacht?

Source: Internet
Grenada 1992 $4 sg2441, scott2135. ( On the photo she is the yacht with sail no 10000)

MATADOR (2) yacht

The yacht depict on this stamp is the maxi sailing yacht MATADOR (2) which was built by Eric Goetz Customs built yachts in Bristol, R.I. for William (Bill) Koch of Palm Springs, USA.
1990 Delivered as the MATADOR.
Length 25.91m.
She won the 1990 and 1991 World Maxi Championship.
Koch sold the MATADOR to Australia around 1993 to Anton Starling who renamed the yacht in FUDGE.
1998 Took part in the Sydney to Hobart race.
2016 She is still given in Australian ship registry under that name and owned by Starling.
The internet gives that she was refitted in a charter cruise yacht and sails now with paying guests around the Whitsunday Islands, Australia under the name MATADOR.

The web-site of the company gives the following information:
MATADOR is 85ft in length and is the largest IOR Maxi ever built. MATADOR was designed, developed and constructed at a cost of over US$20 million in 1991. The yacht is constructed from carbon fibre, titanium and aluminium. MATADOR competed in 52 races, 8 regattas and 2 maxi world champions and was undefeated!
Carrying up to 33 passengers this truly awesome sailing machine departs for a 2-day/2-night adventure every Thursday and Sunday. Combining the sheer size and power with the thrill of speed, MATADOR will take you on an adventure of a lifetime through the beautiful Whitsunday Islands.
MATADOR has been refitted since its racing days to accommodate guests in a comfortable open plan environment. There are several bathrooms and showers onboard, and there are double beds and single bunks. The four crewmembers will take care of all the meals, freshly preparing them onboard. Vegetarians can be catered for.
Snorkeling equipment, bath towels and bed linen is provided on board. MATADOR will often rendezvous with a dive boat, offering its guests a scuba experience, whether they are certified or introductory.
All meals, accommodation, bath towels and bed linen and snorkeling equipment are included in the cost.
Accommodation for 25 guests and 4 crew. ... atador.php

Grenada 1992 15c sg2435, scott2129
Source: Internet

Ilala II

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Ilala II

Postby shipstamps » Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:14 pm

Click image to view full size
Click image to view full size
Click image to view full size
Ilala II.jpg
Click image to view full size
The motorship Ilala II built for service on Lake Nyasa, is featured a Nyasaland stamp of the Is. 3d. denomination and shown off Monkey Bay on the lake-1,400 miles from the coast and almost 1,600 ft. above sea level..The ship had of course to be built and dismantled before being shipped in pieces and erected on the edge of the lake.
In 1949 the Nyasaland Railways gave the contract for this specialised construction to Yarrow and Co. Ltd., Scotstoun, Glasgow who have been builders of shallow-draft craft for re-erection almost since the firm's foundation in 1866 on the Thames. In point of fact the Ilala II is herself an interesting link with the earlier history of the company for the first Ilala was built at Poplar in 1875 at a cost of £6,000. She was built to fulfil an oft-expressed wish of David Livingstone in connection with the suppression of slavery on Lake Nyasa. The old Ilala was named after the area in which Chitambo's village is situated where Livingstone died in 1873 and where his heart is interred.
In all, the Ilala II cost £120,000 and was brought in pieces by rail from Beira to Chipoka on the lake shore. Of the 780 cases in which the parts were transported the heaviest weighed 18 tons and the lightest 78 lbs. The construction of the vessel was carried out under the supervision of Sir J. H. Biles and Company and Livesey and Henderson, consulting engineers to Nyasaland Railways.
Every care has been taken to ensure that she will be able to stand up to the severe gales encountered on Lake Nyasa. The hull of the ship is sub-divided into eight watertight compartments by seven transverse bulkheads—almost double the number required for an orthodox vessel of her size. The design provides for an adequate reserve of stability and was drawn up after extensive tests had been carried out at the National Physical Laboratory. The hull embodies all the recommendations of this institution. The Ilala II is 172 ft. long (overall) and can carry a total of 365 passengers. She has a gross tonnage of 620, a moulded breadth of 301/2 ft., and a loaded draft of 7 ft. 4 in. Deadweight cargo capacity is
100 tons and a crew of 38 carried. There is accommodation on the promenade deck for the master, two officers and 12 first-class passengers in 10 well-appointed cabins. Also on the promenade deck are a large dining saloon, well-equipped toilets, bathrooms and a galley for first class passengers.
Six second-class passengers are carried and have two large cabins on the main deck forward with an adjacent dining saloon. The after end of the main deck comprises the third-class section with provisions for 350 passengers and a saloon in the hold amidships. Propelling machinery comprises two sets of Crossley 5-cylinder oil engines, rated at 425 b.h.p. for 400 r.p.m., giving a service speed of 12 knots. Early in 1951 the vessel was named and launched on the lake in the presence of the Bishop of Nyasaland and a large crowd of Africans, Europeans and Indians by Lady Colby, wife of the Governor of Nyasaland, Sir Geoffrey Colby.
Monkey Bay is near Cape Maclear where the first Scottish Mission in Central Africa was founded in 1875 by Doctor Laws who brought out the first Ilala to the lake in that year. It is interesting to recall that this pioneer craft was shipped out in pieces to Cape Town in the holds of the Walmer Castle, thence up the East coast to the mouth of the Zambesi in the schooner Hara where she was assembled to sail up the Zambesi and Shire rivers to Murchison Cataracts.
Here she was dismantled and carried overland by 800 Africans to the Upper Shire River at Matope where she was re-assembled so that she could sail into Lake Nyasa-380 miles long—seven months after leaving the United Kingdom. The Ilala was in service on the lake for 28 years in which she carried out excellent work in suppressing the slave trade then carried on by Arab dhows. Eventually the Ilala was dismantled and taken from the lake, ending her career towing barges at Chinde where she was broken up.
SG26. Sea Breezes 1/60
Malawi SG487, 549, 731, 931.
Site Admin
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 27 guests

Sponsored Links