Built as torpedo-boat destroyer under yard No 469 by Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Co. Ltd., Govan for the Royal Australian Navy.
17 March 1909 laid down.
09 February 1910 launched as the HMAS PARRAMATTA (55), named after the Parramatta River. She was one of the River Class torpedo-boat destroyer.
Displacement 750 ton standard, dim. 75 x 7.41 x 2.59m. (draught)
Powered by Parsons steam turbines, 10,000 shp, three shafts, speed 26 knots.
Range by a speed of 11.5 knots, 2,690 mile. Fuel oil.
Armament: 1 – BL 4 inch MK VII gun, 3 – 12 pdr. QF guns and 3 – 18 inch torpedo tubes.
Crew 66 – 73.
10 September 1910 commissioned.
HMAS PARRAMATTA, named for the Parramatta River, was a River-class torpedo-boat destroyer of the Royal Australian Navy (RAN). Ordered in 1909 for the Commonwealth Naval Forces (the predecessor of the RAN), PARRAMATTA was the first ship launched for the Australian navy. Temporarily commissioned into the Royal Navy for the delivery voyage to Australia, the destroyer came under Australian naval control in 1910, and on 1 March 1911 was recommissioned into the RAN, shortly before its founding.
From 1914 to 1917, PARRAMATTA was involved in wartime patrols in the Pacific and South East Asian regions, before she and her sister ships were transferred to the Mediterranean for anti-submarine operations. She returned to Australia in 1919, and was placed in reserve. Apart from a brief period of full commission during the visit of the Prince of Wales, PARRAMATTA remained in reserve commission until 1928. She was fully decommissioned in 1928, stripped of parts, and sold for use as prisoner accommodation on the Hawkesbury River. After changing hands several times, the hull ran aground during gale conditions in 1933, and was left to rust. In 1973, the bow and stern sections were salvaged, and converted into memorials.
Design and construction
PARRAMATTA had a displacement of 750 tons, a length overall of 246 feet (75 m), and a beam of 24 feet 3.75 inches (7.4105 m). The destroyer was powered by three Yarrow oil-burning boilers connected to Parsons turbines, which delivered 10,000 shaft horsepower to three propeller shafts. PARRAMATA’s cruising speed was 11.5 knots (21.3 km/h; 13.2 mph), giving the ship a range of 2,690 nautical miles (4,980 km; 3,100 mi). Her maximum speed as designed was 26 knots (48 km/h; 30 mph), but during sea trials, she was able to achieve 27.3 knots (50.6 km/h; 31.4 mph). The ship's company consisted of between 66 and 73 personnel, including five officers.
PARRAMATTA, along with sister ships YARRA and WARREGO, were ordered on 6 February 1909; the first ships to be ordered for the Commonwealth Naval Forces, the post-Federation amalgamation of the Australian colonial navies. The ship was laid down by Fairfield Shipbuilding and Engineering Company Limited, at their shipyard in Govan, Scotland on 17 March 1909. She was launched on 9 February 1910 by Margot Asquith, wife of British Prime Minister H. H. Asquith; the first new ship launched for the Australian navy. Construction was completed in August 1910, and the ship was commissioned into the Royal Navy as HMS PARRAMATTA for the voyage out to Australia. PARRAMATTA and sister ship sailed from Portsmouth on 19 September. Once the ships arrived in Broome, they were transferred to the control of the Commonwealth Naval Forces.
After entering Australian control, the two ships sailed to Melbourne for a gala welcome. During the celebrations, the ship's engineering officer fell overboard and drowned. On 1 March 1911, PARRAMATTA was recommissioned as His Majesty's Australian Ship, although the HMAS prefix was not officially approved until 10 July, when King George V granted permission for the Commonwealth Naval Forces to be renamed the Royal Australian Navy.
On 4 October 1913, PARRAMATTA took part in a formal fleet entry into Sydney Harbour welcoming the battlecruiser HMAS AUSTRALIA.
World War I
During the early stages of World War I, PARRAMATTA operated with the Australian fleet in the search for the German East Asia Squadron, then was involved in the capture of German colonies in the South Pacific region, including German New Guinea, and the consolidation of Allied occupation in these regions. On 5 February 1915, PARRAMATTA and sister ships YARRA and HMAS WARREGO sailed for Australia, where they were used for convoy escort duties along the continent's eastern coast until November. The ships were refitted at Sydney, then sent to patrol the region around Malaya, the East Indies, and the Philippines. PARRAMATTA returned to Australia on 17 July 1916, and patrolled home waters until 17 May 1917, when she and her sister ships were ordered to Malta.
On arrival, the six River-class ships were to undergo anti-submarine training, but were instead immediately deployed on convoy escort operations from Port Said to Malta. On 16 August, lookouts aboard PARRAMATTA spotted the wake from a periscope. The destroyer sped to the area of the sighting, and dropped a depth charge on a submarine travelling just below the surface. After completing the convoy run, the Australian warships completed the training, and were assigned to patrols of the Adriatic. For this, PARRAMATTA was fitted with an observation balloon. On 16 November 1917, PARRAMATTA and several sister ships came to assist the Italian transport ORIONE, who’s stern had been destroyed by a torpedo. PARRAMATTA towed the stricken ship towards the mainland, while WARREGO and SWAN recovered survivors and YARRA chased the attacking submarine. Apart from this, the patrols were uneventful, and on 28 September 1918, PARRAMATTA underwent refit in Greece before joining Allied forces at Constantinople. During October 1918, following the surrender of Turkish forces, PARRAMATTA accepted the surrender of a German admiral assigned to the area. The destroyer was then used for mail runs between Constantinople and Sebastopol until December, when she sailed to Devonport, arriving on 14 January 1919.
During her career, PARRAMATTA received no honours or awards for her activities during World War I. Following an overhaul of the RAN battle honours system, completed in March 2010, the ship's wartime service was retroactively recognised with the honours "Rabaul 1914" and "Adriatic 1917–18".
On 6 March 1919, PARRAMATTA sailed for home, in company with several other Australian ships. PARRAMATTA and YARRA ran out of fuel on 26 April, less than a day out from Darwin, and had to be towed into port by WARREGO. The destroyer paid off into reserve at Sydney on 22 July 1919. She was recommissioned for the period 17 May to 13 June 1920 for the visit of the Prince of Wales in HMS RENOW , then was returned to reserve. From October 1924 until November 1925, PARRAMATTA was based at Westernport, Victoria for use as a training ship, then spent time in Sydney, then Adelaide, before returning to Sydney in April 1928.
Decommissioning and fate
PARRAMATTA was paid off from service on 20 April 1928 and handed over to the Cockatoo Island Dockyard for dismantling on 17 October.
.PARRAMATTA and SWAN were stripped down, and their hulks were sold to NSW Penal Department and towed to Cowan Creek, where they were used to house prisoner labourers working on roads along the Hawkesbury River. The two hulks were then sold in 1933 for 12 pounds each to George Rhodes of Cowan, New South Wales, who intended to use them as accommodation for fishers. This was opposed, and the ships were sold on to a pair of fishermen, who used them to transport blue metal to Milson and Peat Islands.
On 2 February 1934, PARRAMATTA and SWAN were being towed down the Hawkesbury River for final breaking in Sydney, when gale conditions caused both hulls to break their tows; SWAN foundered and sank, while PARRAMATTA ran aground in mangroves...
17 August 1876 keel laid down.
01 July 1878 launched under the name HMS CHAMPION one of the Comus class of which nine were built. She was the third vessel under this name in the Royal Navy.
Displacement: 2.380 tons, dim. 225.0 (bpp) x 44.6 x 19.3ft.
Powered by a 3-cyl. horizontal compound steam engine 2310 ihp., speed 13 knots, single shaft.
Bunker capacity 470 tons coal, range by 10 knots 3.840 miles.
Armament: 2 x 7 inc MLR, 12 x 64 pdr. guns.
Ship rigged, and fitted out with a hoisting screw.
Underwater hull was copper sheathed.
07 December 1880 completed, based at Sheerness.
The intention was to use the class as scout vessel for the fleet but due to the slow speed, the class was mainly used for protection across the globe.
The class was designed by Nathaniel Barnaby.
Around 1885 rearmed with 4 – 6 inch BL MK III, 8 – 5 inch BL MK III, 4 – 3pdr. BL QF and two light guns., 6 – MG. and two TCs.
April 1886 she visited Amoy, China.
1890 Based in the Pacific.
August 1891 under command of Capt. Frederick St Clair, co-operated with some French, American and German warships by landing men at Valparaiso, Chile to protect the western consulates during a Chilean revolution.
1893 She visited Pitcairn Island under command of Capt. Rookes. He prepared a criminal code and reorganized the Governments system on the island.
26 June 1897 present at the Naval Review at Spithead in celebration of the Diamond Jubilee.
1904 Placed in harbour duty, and became a stokers training ship in Chatham,
1915 Renamed CHAMPION (old) when a new CHAMPION was built.
23 June 1919 sold to Hughes Bolckow, Blyth for scrapping.
Pitcairn Island 1988 $5 sg 326 and 1999 $3 sg 552.
Source: Conways All the World’s Fighting Ships 1860 – 1905. The Sail & Steam Navy List by Lyon & Winfield.