SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year. Full membership includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

Dauphin (Fireboat) 1977

Compagnie Chambon, Sete, France; Penang S.B. Corp, Penang; Gt. 177, dwt. 82; Her dimensions: 29.42m x 7.82m x 2.0m (draught); 2 GM Oil 2SA each 16 Cyl, speed 11knots.

Built as Naser for I.H.C. France S.A., Marseilles, France, she was sold in 1978, to Inginierie Maritime et Commercielisation, La Rochelle, France and renamed Dogue.

In 1982, she was sold to Compagnie Chambon, Sete, France and renamed T.V.O. 1.

In 1985, she was renamed as Dauphin and her Gt increased to 193, nt. 59.

In 1989, she was sold to Remolcadores de Cartagens S.A., Valencia, Spain and renamed again Boluda Treinta.

Madagascar 1999, S.G.?, Scott: 1456a.

Source: Watercraft Philately

KILDANGAN HMS 1918

Built as a sloop under yard No 853 by Cochrane & Sons, Selby, U.K. for the Royal Navy.
15 March 1918 launched as the HMS KILDANGAN, she was one of the Kill-class.
Displacement 895 ton, dim. 55.5 x 9.1 x 3.20m. (draught)
Powered by one reciprocating steam engine, 1,400 hp, one shaft, speed 13 knots.
Armament 1 – 4 inch gun and 12 depth-charges.
Crew 57
September 1918 completed.
If she had any war service is doubtful.
Wikipedia gives the following on the class:
The Kil class were designed to counter the U-boat threat posed by the Imperial German Navy during the First World War. They were designed to be equipped with hydrophones and depth charges to detect and destroy enemy submarines before they posed a threat to allied convoys. The class began to be launched towards the end of 1917. So they could be constructed, an order for 85 anti-submarine trawlers was cancelled across six shipyards in order to free up enough berths for the building of the Kil class. Each ship took around six months to be constructed. Ships in the class were named after villages in Scotland and Ireland beginning with "Kil".
Similar to the 24-class sloop, the ships were built with a double ended design in order to confuse enemy submarine observers who were trying to work out which direction the ships were due to travel in. They had a single central funnel, and deckhouses both fore and aft were designed to be similar in order to enhance the effect. The class were painted in dazzle camouflage.
The class entered service after the main threat of the U-boats had passed, and therefore their effectiveness in anti-submarine warfare cannot be determined. Only 38 of the 85 ships ordered were completed by the time the Armistice with Germany was signed on 11 November 1918. The ships were put into reserve following the war, and were put up for sale by the Admiralty.
14 February 1920 sold to Robinson, Brown & Joplin (B.Burletson), Newcastle renamed in BEBSIDE and converted to a cargo vessel.
1922 Sold to Johann M.K. Blumenthal, Hamburg, Germany and renamed JOHANN.
1925 Sold to Pietro Schenone, Leghorn, Italy and renamed LABRONE.
1928 Sold to SA di Nav. L’Argonauta, Genoa. Italy and renamed ANITA. She was converte to a motor vessel, a new 4-cyl. oil engine was installed manufactured by Bolinder, Stockholm, 192 nhp.
1930 Sold to Banca Casareto, Genoa (most probably the mortgage holder), not renamed.
1939 Sold to Adolfo Calzi, Trieste, Italy not renamed.
1940 Sold to Soc. Italiana Ernesto Breda, Venice, Italy renamed in GIOVANNI MARIA.
10 January 1941 on a voyage from Derna for Tobruk was she running on a mine 12 mile off Tobruk and sunk.

Palau 2015 $1.20 sg?, scott?
Source: Wikipedia. http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz Lloyds Registry various years.

LEVIATHAN USS

Palau 2015 $1.20 sg?, scott?

See VATERLAND for her details and history. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9718

MOLTKE SMS

Built as a flush-decked corvette by the Kaiserliche Werft in Danzig for the Imperial German Navy.
1875 Laid down.
18 October 1877 launched as the SMS MOLTKE one of the Bismarck class, she was named after the Prussian Field Marshal Helmuth Karl Bernhard von Moltke.
Displacement 2,843 standard, 2,994 full load, dim. 82.0 x 13.7 x 6.3m. (draught)
Powered by a 3-cyl steam engine, 2,500 ihp, one shaft with a lifting screw, speed 12.5 knots.
Armament 16 – 15.0 cm guns.
Three mast ship rigged, total sail area 2,210 m².
Crew 404-469.
16 April 1878 commissioned.
After commissioned served as training vessel for cadets and midshipmen of the German Navy, and made numerous voyages abroad.
The German expedition under command of Carl Schrader sailed from Germany on 3 June 1882 on board a passenger ship to Montevideo. After arrival Montevideo she boarded the SMS MOLTKE under command of Captain Johannes Heinrich Pirner they sailed to South Georgia which they reached on 20 August 1882.
After a station was constructed in Moltke Harbour on the north coast of the island, the MOLTKE sailed away and left the expedition behind, which were picked up the next year on 6 September 1883 on board of the corvette SMS MARIE.
The MOLTKE was the first engine powered ship arriving in South Georgia.
On 28 October 1911, MOLTKE was renamed ACHERON. A new battlecruiser had been commissioned on 30 September 1911 to carry the distinguished name MOLTKE in the Imperial Navy. ACHERON was reclassified and converted to serve as hulk for U-boat crews at the Kiel naval base. The hulk ACHERON was broken up in 1920.

South Georgia 2015 £1.25 sg?, scott?

Source: Wikipedia and internet.

JOLLIET & MARQUETTE EXPEDITION 1673

1673, Marquette joined the expedition of Louis Jolliet, a French-Canadian explorer. They departed from St. Ignace on May 17, with two canoes and five voyageurs of French-Indian ancestry (Métis). They followed Lake Michigan to Green Bay and up the Fox River, nearly to its headwaters. From there, they were told to portage their canoes a distance of slightly less than two miles through marsh and oak plains to the Wisconsin River. Many years later, at that point the town of Portage, Wisconsin was built, named for the ancient path between the two rivers. From the portage, they ventured forth, and on June 17, they entered the Mississippi near present-day Prairie du Chien, Wisconsin.
The Joliet-Marquette expedition traveled to within 435 miles (700 km) of the Gulf of Mexico but turned back at the mouth of the Arkansas River. By this point they had encountered several natives carrying European trinkets, and they feared an encounter with explorers or colonists from Spain. They followed the Mississippi back to the mouth of the Illinois River, which they learned from local natives provided a shorter route back to the Great Lakes. They reached Lake Michigan near the site of modern-day Chicago, by way of the Chicago Portage. In September Marquette stopped at the mission of St. Francis Xavier, located in present-day Green Bay, Wisconsin, while Jolliet returned to Quebec to relate the news of their discoveries.
Marquette and his party returned to the Illinois Territory in late 1674, becoming the first Europeans to winter in what would become the city of Chicago. As welcomed guests of the Illinois Confederation, the explorers were feasted enroute and fed ceremonial foods such as sagamite.
In the spring of 1675, Marquette traveled westward and celebrated a public mass at the Grand Village of the Illinois near Starved Rock. A bout of dysentery which he had contracted during the Mississippi expedition sapped his health. On the return trip to St. Ignace, he died at age 37 near the modern town of Ludington, Michigan.
Marquette and his party returned to the Illinois Territory in late 1674, becoming the first Europeans to winter in what would become the city of Chicago. As welcomed guests of the Illinois Confederation, the explorers were feasted enroute and fed ceremonial foods such as sagamite.
In the spring of 1675, Marquette traveled westward and celebrated a public mass at the Grand Village of the Illinois near Starved Rock. A bout of dysentery which he had contracted during the Mississippi expedition sapped his health. On the return trip to St. Ignace, he died at age 37 near the modern town of Ludington, Michigan.

Canada 1987 34c sg1232, scott1128.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jacques_Marquette

Adjame (River Mail and Passenger Steamer) 1912

Owned by Compagnie des Chargeurs Réunis, Grand Bassam (East of Abidjan); Her displacement about 250 tons, unloaded displacement 130 tons, dwt 120; her dimensions; 38.00m x 6.70m x 1,97m, 1.30m (draught); double exp. Two- cylinder engine, diameter of H.P. cylinder 0.406m, low pressure cylinder 0.838m, Evaporating machine: Cylindrical boiler with light-back, Diameter 3,073 m, Length 2,990 m, Grid surface 3.62 sq m, Heating surface 90.00 sq m, Boiler pressure 8.5 k, 359 hp, speed on trials 8.35 knot, volume of the coal bunkers 42 m3; cargo hold volume 205 cubic m; 20 passengers in cabins.

This small mail and passenger steamer was used by Compagnie des Chargeurs Réunis at Grand Bassam (East of Abidjan). The first time she is mentioned in any sources was in 1912.

She was most probably used in the trade on the Ébrié Lagoon which separated Côte d’Ivoire for most of its length, from the Atlantic Ocean by a narrow coastal strip. The 100-kilometre lagoon is linked to the sea by the Vridi Canal, while the Comoë River flows into it. The lagoon averages four km. in width, and five meters in depth. Abidjan and towns such as Grand Bassam, Bingerville, Jacqueville and Tiagba lie on the lagoon.


Ivory Coast 1985, S.G.?, Scott: 738.


Source: Beauge and Cognan-Histoire Maritime des Chargeurs.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Harambee

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Harambee

Postby shipstamps » Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:23 pm


Click image to view full size
The steamer Harambee was built in 1953 at Lubeck by Lubecker Flender Werke for Rudolph A. Oetker of Hamburg, as the Belgrano; in 1967 she became the Santa Barbara and was renamed Harambee when acquired by her present owners, the Southern Line Ltd., of Mombasa, She is a cargo vessel of 6,169 gross tonnage, net 3,776, and deadweight 10,178. Dimensions are: length (o.a.) 482 ft., beam 59ft. 9 ins., draft 25 ft. 2 ins, She has a 6-cylinder M.A.N. oil engine developing 4,000 b.h.p., and giving a speed of 13 knots. Cargo space is 596 cub. grain, 533,181 cub. ft., bale. She has bunkers for 678 tons of oil.
SG257 Sea Breezes 4/69
shipstamps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: Harambee

Postby aukepalmhof » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:30 pm

Built as a cargo vessel under yard No 435 by the Lübecker Flenderwerke A.G. at Lübeck, Germany for the Rohstoff Einfuhr Gesellschaft intended name REG IV, but already bought on the stocks by Rudolf A. Oetker (Hamburg Sud) at Hamburg.
27 August 1953 launched under the name BELGRANO (IV)
Tonnage 6,112 gross, 3,591 net, 10,240 dwt. Dim. 146.9 x 18.27 x 7.68m. (draught)
Powered by one 6-cyl 2S.C. SA engine, manufactured by Masch Augsburg-Nurnberg (M.A.N.) at Augsburg, 3,680 shp, speed 13 knots.
Accommodation for 8 passengers, crew 33.
21 October 1952 delivered.

After delivery mostly used in the service of the Hamburg Sud between Hamburg and South America ports in the Columbus Line, but she was also used for tramping.
September 1965 renamed in SANTA BARBARA.
08 December 1966 Sold to the Eastern Africa National Shipping Line Ltd. (Southern Line Ltd. managers), Mombasa, renamed HARAMBEE, and put under English flag.
August 1979 sold to Silverstar Corporation, Panama and renamed ARAMBEE.
Made only one voyage for this company from Gdynia to Fushiki, then she sailed to Kaohsiung, Taiwan, where she arrived on 03 February 1980.
20 February 1980 demolition commenced by Yih Shen Steel Enterprise Co. Ltd.

Inscription on the stamp SS is wrong she was a diesel vessel (MV)

Source: The Hamburg South America Line by James Cooper, Arnold Kludas and Joachim Pein.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 4020
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot] and 21 guests

Sponsored Links
cron