The stamp shows a steamship coal bunkering in Castries, St Lucia, the coal was loaded by mostly women who carried a basket full of coal on her head from the shore to tip it in the bunkers of the moored steamer. The steamer shown on the stamp is not identified.
In the second half of the 19th century Castries became an important bunkering port for coal, due to her deep and sheltered harbour, they could accommodate even the largest Royal Navy ships for bunkering.
Welsh coal was shipped to Castries, which was then supplied to ships which needed coal bunkers.
By the turn of the century Castries was the 14th most important coal bunkering port in the world.
During the 1930s oil got more important and the bunkering of coal declined around the world.
Saint Lucia 2002 65c sg?, scott?
Source: Internet various sites.
Launched under the name FANNY FISHER.
Tonnage 238 ton, dim. 92.2 x 22.9 x 11.1ft.
Barque rigged. One deck, square stern.
Completed 1847, registered in Sydney.
She was not always used as a whaler, in Shipping Arrivals and departures of South Australia 1627-1850, I found the vessel two times.
She arrived 24 January 1849 from Sydney, with a cargo of beef, pork and sherry and some passengers, cleared 6/7 February for the Swan River, where she arrived the 2 March, then to Mauritius with wheat and leather and some passengers.
Arrived 18 July 1850 from Newcastle, NSW with a cargo of coal and some passengers. Cleared 02 August for Launceston, Tasmania, 5 passengers and 13 crew.
April 1858 was she sold to Henry Clarke & James Merriman.
June 1858, Merriman got 32 shares, Clarke 22 and Wm. Sullivan 10 shares.
September 1860 was she owned by Merriman and Sullivan.
April 1861 was she owned only by Merriman.
1861 Owned by Merriman & William Andrews.
1866 Was Merriman again the only owner.
November 1868 Merriman 22 shares, H. Fairclough 21 and R Randall 21 shares.
1875 Owned by John Broomfield.
January 1877 owned by A. Campbell.
1892 Owned by C.A. Campell & W R Gainford. Gainford was later the only owner.
1903 Owned by Daniel Sheehy who broke vessel up.
Register closed in 1907, vessel broken up.
All her life was she registered in Sydney, and used as freighter or whaler, as whaler she visited the Norfolk Island and was whaling off the island.
Norfolk Island 1985 5c sg 356
Source: Ships of Australia and New Zealand before 1850 by Ronald Parsons