Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year. Full membership includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.


Built as a battleship by Thames Ironwork & Shipbuilding Co. Ltd., Blackwall, London for the Royal Navy.
03 December 1896 keel laid down.
21 June 1898 launched as the HMS ALBION, one of the Canopus class.
Displacement 12,950 ton light, 14,320 ton full load. Dim. 132 x 23 x 7.9m (draught)
Length bpp. 18.8m.
Powered by two vertical triple expansion steam engine, 15,400 ihp., twin shafts, speed 18 knots.
Armament:2 – 12 inch, 12 – 6 inch QF, 10 – 12 pdr QF, 6 – 3 pdr, guns and 4 – 18 inch torpedo tubes.
Crew 750.
25 June 1901 commissioned.

HMS ALBION was a British Canopus-class predreadnought battleship. Commissioned into the Royal Navy in 1901, she served on the China Station until 1905. She was then employed as part of the Channel Fleet until 1907, at which time she began service with the Atlantic Fleet. Following the outbreak of World War I, she saw action in operations against German Southwest Africa in 1914 and also served in the Dardanelles campaign against the Turks, supporting the landings at Gallipoli. She remained in the Mediterranean until 1916, and then returned to the United Kingdom for service as a guard ship for the remainder of the war. She was scrapped in 1920.
Technical Description
HMS ALBION was laid down by Thames Iron Works at Leamouth, London on 3 December 1896. Tragedy struck when she was launched on 21 June 1898; after the Duchess of York christened her, a wave created by ALBION's entry into the water caused a stage from which 200 people were watching to collapse into a side creek, and 34 people, mostly women and children, drowned. This was probably one of the first ever ship launchings to be filmed. ALBION's completion then was delayed by late delivery of her machinery. She finally began trials late in 1900, during which she was further delayed by machinery and gun defects, and she was not finally completed until June 1901.
ALBION was designed for service in the Far East, and to be able to transit the Suez Canal. She was designed to be smaller (by about 2,000 tons), lighter, and faster than her predecessors, the Majestic-class battleships, although she was slightly longer at 430 feet (131 meters). In order to save weight, she carried less armour than the Majestics, although the change from Harvey armour in the Majestics to Krupp armour in ALBION meant that the loss in protection was not as great as it might have been, Krupp armour having greater protective value at a given weight than its Harvey equivalent. Still, her armour was light enough to make her almost a second-class battleship.
Part of her armour scheme included the use of a special 1-inch (2.54 mm) armoured deck over the belt to defend against plunging fire by howitzers that France reportedly planned to install on its ships, although this report proved to be false.[
ALBION had four 12-inch (305-mm) 35-calibre guns mounted in twin turrets fore and aft, mounted in circular barbettes that allowed all-around loading, although at a fixed elevation. She also mounted twelve 6-inch (152-mm) 40-calibre guns (sponson mounting allowing some of them to fire fore and aft) in addition to smaller guns, and four 18-inch (457-mm) submerged torpedo tubes.
The Canopus-class ships were the first British battleships with water-tube boilers, which generated more power at less expense in weight compared with the cylindrical boilers used in previous ships. The new boilers led to the adoption of fore-and-aft funnels, rather than the side-by-side funnel arrangement used in may previous British battleships. The Canopus-class ships proved to be good steamers, consuming 10 tons of coal per hour at full speed, with a high speed for battleships of their time, a full two knots faster than the Majestics.[
Pre-World War I
HMS ALBION was commissioned on 25 June 1901 at Chatham Dockyard, by Captain W. W. Hewett and a complement of 779 officers and men, to relieve battleship BARFLEUR on the China Station. She arrived at Hong Kong on 11 September 1901, and relieved BARFLEUR as second flagship of the China Station, based in that city. Captain Martyn Jerram was appointed in command in March 1902. During her time on the station, she underwent refits at Hong Kong in 1902 and 1905.
In 1905, the United Kingdom and Japan ratified a treaty of alliance, reducing the requirement for a large British presence on the China Station, and the Royal Navy recalled all its battleships from the station. At Singapore, ALBION rendezvoused with her sister ships OCEAN and VENGEANCE and battleship CENTURION , and on 20 June 1905 the four battleships departed to steam in company to Plymouth, where they arrived on 2 August 1905.
ALBION then became part of the Channel Fleet. She soon suffered a mishap, colliding with battleship DUNCAN at Lerwick on 26 September 1905, but suffered no damage. ALBION transferred to the commissioned Reserve on 3 April 1906, and underwent an engine and boiler refit at Chatham. On 25 February 1907, ALBION paid off at Portsmouth.
On 26 February 1907, ALBION recommissioned at Portsmouth for temporary service with the Portsmouth Division of the Home Fleet. She returned to full commission on 26 March 1907 to begin service in the Atlantic Fleet. During this service, she underwent a refit at Gibraltar in 1908 and at Malta in 1909. She was with the fleet that visited London from 17 July to 24 July 1909 to be entertained by the citizens of the city, and on 31 July 1909 was present at the fleet review of the Home and Atlantic Fleets at Cowes by King Edward VII and Queen Alexandra.
ALBION ended her Atlantic Fleet service by paying off on 25 August 1909. She then began service at the Nore as parent ship of the 4th Division, Home Fleet. She became a unit of the 3rd Fleet at the Nore in May 1912 and underwent a refit at Chatham that year. She was stationed at Pembroke Dock in 1913.
World War I
When World War I broke out in August 1914, ALBION was assigned to the 8th Battle Squadron, Channel Fleet. On 15 August 1914, she became second flagship of the new 7th Battle Squadron. On 21 August 1914, she was sent to the Saint Vincent-Finisterre Station to provide battleship support to cruiser squadrons operating in the Atlantic in case German Navy heavy ships broke out into the open Atlantic. On 3 September 1914, she transferred her flag, becoming a private ship, and moved to the Cape Verde-Canary Islands station to relieve her sister ship CANOPUS there.
ALBION was transferred to the Cape of Good Hope Station in South Africa in October 1914, where she took up duty as a guard ship at Walvis Bay through November 1914. In December 1914 and January 1915, she participated in Allied operations against German Southwest Africa.
Dardanelles campaign
ALBION transferred to the Mediterranean in January 1915 to participate in the Dardanelles campaign. She took part in the bombardment of the Ottoman Turkish forts guarding the outer entrance to the Dardanelles on 18 February 1915 and 19 February 1915. ALBION, MAJESTIC and TRIUMP became the first Allied battleships to enter the Turkish Straits during the Dardanelles campaign on 26 February 1915 when they made the initial attack on the inner forts. ALBION then supported the first Allied landings in late February 1915 and early March 1915.
In action against Ottoman forts on 1 March 1915, ALBION took repeated hits but sustained no serious damage. She participated in the main attack on the forts on 18 March 1915, and supported the main landings at V Beach at Cape Helles on 25 April 1915. On 28 April 1915 she suffered significant damage from Ottoman shore batteries during an attack on Krithia, forcing her to retire to Mudros for repairs. Back in action on 2 May 1915, she again suffered damage necessitating repairs at Mudros.
On the night of 22–23 May 1915, ALBION beached on a sandbank off Gaba Tepe and came under heavy fire from Ottoman...

Canoe of Bilibili.New Guinea.

The best canoe seen by explorers were at Bilibili of Madang Province which is the center of a flourishing pottery industry, the canoes being largely employed in this trade: The canoes are from 20 to 30 feet long; each end of the hull is produced into a long point flattened above, to which Ovulum shells are fastened. Many canoes have two washstrakes on each side which are frequently painted with representations of fishes, turtles, and birds. Canoe have the breakwater as having fastened to it in front a carved forwardly protecting spur to which tassels are attached. The two booms are curved and each is connected to the rather weak float (about 14 feet long) by two pairs of undercrossed sticks. Amidships on the booms is a platform on which is erected a kind of cabin resembling a large cage in which merchandise (pottery), provisions, and weapons, are stored; a potsherd with glowing charcoal in a layer of sand is carried on the platform. The roof forms a second platform and has lateral railings. There is a two mast. Each mast carries a small quadrangular mat sail, they diverge fore and aft from two-storied platform. The end of the mast is often adorned with a roughly carved wooden bird or a ruddled Nautilus shell. The Bilibili natives are not great sailors. They may go as far as Karkar ( Dampier lsland) a distance of 40 miles, and never go out of sight of land, nor do they put to sea in rough weather but on the whole the sea here is calm. The Bilibili canoes of a smaller build are exactly like those at Bongu. Тhe anchor as a piece of tree trunk, the partially cut-off branches of which form hooks; it is weighted with one large or several small stones which are bound on with rattan, and a strong rattan serves at a cable, this use how a sinker for a fishtrap. There are three sizes of paddles for men, women, and children, besides the steering paddle which are large and rough. The grips of the paddles have the grip carved and often pierced, or as in some steering paddles, with a human head but there is no crutch.
Papua New Guinea 2009;K3.70;SG?
Sources:A. Haddon, John. Hornell: Canoes of Oceania.1937.Volume II.

Vaga of Suau Island

The canoe[Vaga] of this part of New Guinea [east of South Cape] is usually about twenty-five feet in length, and carries seven or eight people. It is made of the trunk of a tree, hollowed out like a long trough, roundly pointed at each end, a foot and a half in extreme width, with the sides bulging out below and falling in at top, leaving only eight inches between the gunwales which are strengthened by a pole running along from end to end. The end which are alike are carved in imitation of the head of a turtle or snake, but more elaborately. The outrigger consist of a float as long as the canoe, from wich it is 4 feet distant. Each of the numerous booms is attached to the float by means of two pairs of undercrossed sticks. In the Waga there are from five to nine booms, three or seven of which support the platform, the two end ones being quite free. There is no washstrake, but there appears to be a pole on each gunwale on which the booms rest. The inner ends of booms rest in notches in both gunwales, and are secured there. The booms support a not great platform made of strong rattan laths . The canoes seen by explorers were provided with only a small temporary sail made by interlacing the leaflets of a coconut palm leaf and stuck up on pole when going with the wind free. The Vaga is commonly used, in moderate weather, for short passages and for going out a few miles at sea to fish. In fine weather with light wind they are often used for expeditions of from 10 to 20 miles along the coast. They hug the shore all the way so that if bad weather sets in the voyagers can haul the vaga up on the beach of some quiet bay. The explorer Abel remarks: "If a dead fair wind favours the voyagers, it is only the matter of a few minutes to paddle the craft in shore cut an impromptu mast from the thick bush along the coast, scale the cocoa nut palm tree and haсk off two long leaves, plait these together for a sail, re embark and up stick and away down the coast at the rate of three knots an hour." The Vaga is propelled by means of paddles and is made out of a solid log. The paddles are like those of the Louisiades Archipelage with spear-shaped blades and slender handles, but are larger measuring six feet in length and of neater construction, the end of the handle being carved into some fanciful device." The bailer is scoop-shaped, made of wood, with an inwardly projecting handle.
Papua New Guinea 2009;K3.70;SG?
Sources:A. Haddon, John. Hornell: Canoes of Oceania.1937.Volume II.

ZAANDAM cruise vessel 2000

Built as a cruise vessel under yard No 6036 by Fincantieri Breda, Marghera, Italy for the Holland America Line, Nassau Bahamas.
26 June 1998 laid down.
29 April 1999 floated out under the name ZAANDAM.
Tonnage 60,906 grt, 31,224 net, 6,150 dwt, dim. 237.0 x 32.25 x 7.80m. (draught), length bpp.202.8m.
Powered by five 12-cyl. Sulzer-Fincantiere diesels, each 8,640 kW. driven two electric motors, twin shafts, two controllable pitch propellers, speed 22 knots.
Accommodation for 1,432 passengers and 615 crew.
06 April 2000 completed,
08 April 2000 delivered to owners. Building cost US$300 million.
04 May 2000 christened by the actresses Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen in Fort Lauderdale.
06 May 2000 maiden cruise voyage from Fort Lauderdale to the Caribbean.
MS ZAANDAM is a cruise ship owned and operated by Holland America Line, named for the city of Zaandam, Netherlands near Amsterdam. She was built by Italy’s Fincantieri in Venice, and delivered in 2000. ZAANDAM is part of the 'R-Class' and a sister ship to MS VOLENDAM , MS ROTTERDAM and MS AMSTERDAM . MS ZAANDAM has a musical theme and is decorated with artifacts and memorabilia from different musical genres. Items such as a Baroque-style Dutch pipe organ and guitars signed by the Rolling Stones, Carlos Santana and Queen can be seen.
One of the aft stairways also has a saxophone signed by former United States President Bill Clinton.
Several earlier vessels in the company also bear the name ZAANDAM: A single-funnel steam ship known as SS ZAANDAM (1882–1897) and MS ZAANDAM (1938–1942). The latter was torpedoed by German submarine U-174 and sank.
Current Cruises
ZAANDAM sails out of Alaska during the summer and during the winter sails Mexico and Hawaii. In December and January, the ZAANDAM cruises the Antarctic and South America.
2016 In service, still owned by HAL Antillen NV, IMO No 9156527. Beneficial owner Carnival Group. Under Dutch flag with homeport Rotterdam.

Uruguay 2015 20p sg?, scott?
Source: Internet


Built as a submarine by the Portsmouth Navy Yard, Kittery, Maine for the USA Navy.
27 September 1938 laid down.
15 August 1939 launched as the USS SEAWOLF (SS-197), christened by Mrs. Edward C. Kalbfus, she was one of the Sargo class. The boat was named after a solitary fish with strong, prominent teeth and projecting tusks that give it a savage look.
Displacement 1,470 ton surfaced, 2,390 ton submerged, dim. 94.64 x 8.18 x 5.06m. (draught surfaced).
Powered by 4 General Motors Model 16-248 V16 diesel engines, driving electrical generators, 5,400 shp, speed 21 knots. 4 High speed General Electric electric motors with reduction gears, 2,740 shp., twin shafts, speed submerged 8.75 knots.
Range 11,000 mile by a speed of 10 knots surface, submerged by a speed of 2 knots, 48 hours.
Test depth 76 metre.
Crew 59.
01 December 1939 commissioned, Lt. Frederick B. Warder in command.
After fitting out, SEAWOLF departed Portsmouth on 12 April 1940 for her shakedown cruise which lasted until 21 June and took her as far south as the Panama Canal Zone. SEAWOLF was next assigned to the Pacific Fleet with her home port, San Diego. In the autumn of 1940, she proceeded to Manila Bay and operated from the Cavite Navy Yard. When war with Japan began, the submarine readied for sea and was on her first war patrol from 8 to 26 December 1941.
SEAWOLF hunted Japanese shipping off San Bernardino Strait. On the 14th, she fired a spread of torpedoes at a tender or supply ship in Port San Vicente with unknown results. She promptly underwent her first depth charge attack but suffered no damage.
SEAWOLF departed Manila on 31 December 1941 for Australia and arrived at Port Darwin on 9 January 1942. She loaded between 30 and 40 tons of .50 caliber antiaircraft ammunition for use by American forces on Corregidor and sailed for Manila Bay on the 16th. The submarine sighted seven Japanese freighters accompanied by four destroyers and a cruiser on the 21st but had no opportunity to fire any of the eight torpedoes that she had onboard. The ammunition was unloaded on 28 and 29 January at Corregidor. SEAWOLF then loaded torpedoes and headed for Surabaya, Java.
SEAWOLF sailed out of Surabaya on 15 February and began patrolling in the Java Sea-Lombok Strait area. On the 19th, she fired four torpedoes at two Japanese freighter-transports. Damage to one was not ascertained, but the other was last seen down by the stern and listing to starboard. A week later, she fired her stern tubes at a freighter and watched one hit forward of the bridge before going deep to evade depth charges from an escorting destroyer at which she had also fired. In March, SEAWOLF was hunting between Java and Christmas Island. On the last day of the month, she fired a spread at a Jintsu class cruiser which produced one explosion. The submarine then underwent seven and one-half hours of depth charge attacks. On 1 April, she attacked two cruisers. A violent explosion was heard, but no flames were seen. SEAWOLF ended her patrol on 7 April at Fremantle.
From 12 May to 2 July, SEAWOLF patrolled the Philippine Islands area. She attacked freighters on 20 and 23 May, and on 12, 13, 15, and 28 June. On the 13th, she fired at two ships and her crew heard four explosions. The submarine was credited with sinking converted gunboat, NAMPO MARU, on 15 June. SEAWOLF returned to Fremantle for three weeks before beginning her sixth war patrol.
SEAWOLF prowled the Sulu and Celebes seas from 25 July to 15 September. She attacked a tanker on 3 August, sank HACHIGEN MARU on the 14th and SHOWA MARU 11 days later. SS-197 returned to Fremantle to refit and then hunted in the Davao Gulf area from 7 October to 1 December. SEAWOLF sank GIFU MARU on 2 November, SSGAMI MARU (7,189 tons) the next day, and KEIKO MARU on the 8th. She ended her patrol at Pearl Harbor en route to the west coast.
SEAWOLF arrived at Mare Island on 10 December 1942 and underwent an overhaul that lasted until 24 February 1943. She returned to Pearl Harbor on 13 March and, on 3 April, stood out for another patrol. She ended this patrol early, on 3 May, because she had expended all torpedoes on enemy shipping near the Bonin Islands. On 15 April, she torpedoed KAIHEI MARU; sank old destroyer, Patrol Boat No. 39, on the 23d; and sank two 75-ton sampans with her 3-inch gun.
SEAWOLF returned to Midway for refitting and departed that island on 17 May and headed for the East China Sea. She ran into several large convoys as she prowled from Formosa to Nagasaki. The submarine tracked a convoy of 11 ships and fired a spread of torpedoes at a large freighter on 6 June. One torpedo hit the target but proved to be a dud, and another passed under the freighter and hit an escort. Two weeks later, she fired a spread at four ships. One was hit in the stern and sank in approximately nine minutes. This was SHOJIN MARU loaded with troops. SEAWOLF returned to Midway on 8 July and, four days later, steamed into Pearl Harbor.
Her next patrol was from 14 August to 15 September. This patrol, in the East China Sea, was also ended prematurely due to firing all torpedoes. She sank 12,996 tons of enemy shipping, excluding two 75-ton sampans sunk by shellfire. SEAWOLF made contact with a six-ship convoy on her third day in the patrol area. She attacked day and night for three days before finally surfacing to sink FUSEI MARU with her deck gun.
On SEAWOLF's 11th patrol, in the South China Sea, from 5 October to 27 November, she sank WUHU MARU, KAIFUKU MARU, and damaged a 10,000-ton cargo ship. The submarine refitted at Pearl Harbor and, on 22 December 1943, headed for the East China Sea on what was to be her most lucrative patrol. She attacked a seven-ship convoy on the night of 10 and 11 January 1944 and sank three ships totaling 19,710 tons.
On the 14th, SEAWOLF fired her last four torpedoes at two merchant ships in a convoy, damaging one and sinking YAMATSURU MARU. She continued tracking the convoy while radioing its position to WHALE (SS-239). WHALE arrived on the 16th and promptly attacked, damaging one ship and sinking DENMARK MARU. The next morning, WHALE damaged another before action was broken off.
SEAWOLF returned to Pearl Harbor on 27 January and sailed for San Francisco two days later. After undergoing a major overhaul at Hunters Point, the submarine headed west on 16 May. When she reached Pearl Harbor, she was assigned the task of photographing Peleliu Island in the Palaus, in preparation for the forthcoming attack on that stronghold. She carried out this mission despite constant enemy air patrols from 4 June to 7 July.
The submarine headed to Majuro for voyage repairs and was rerouted to Darwin. There, she received orders sending her on a special mission to Tawitawi, Sulu Archipelago. The submarine approached to within 700 yards of the beach, picked up a Capt. Young and took him to Brisbane.
SEAWOLF stood out of Brisbane on 21 September to begin her 15th war patrol. She reached Manus on the 29th, refueled, and sailed the same day carrying stores and Army personnel to the east coast of Samar.
SEAWOLF and NARWHAL (SS-167) exchanged radar recognition signals at 0756 on 3 October in the Morotai area. Shortly thereafter, a 7th Fleet task group was attacked by a Japanese submarine. SHELTON (DE-407) was torpedoed, and ROWELL (DE-403) stood by to search for the enemy. Two planes were sent from the carrier MIDWAY (CVE-63) to assist in the search. One of the planes sighted a submarine submerging and dropped two bombs on it even though it was in a safety zone for American submarines. The site was marked by dye and ROWELL steamed to the area, made sound contact, and attacked with -hedgehogs. The second attack was followed by underwater explosions, and debris rose to the surface.
No further contact was made with SEAWOLF, and her position would have placed her in the area where the plane...

COSTA FAVOLOSA cruise vessel

Built as a cruise vessel under yard No 6188 by Fincantieri Breda, Porto Marghera, Italy for Costa Crociere, SpA, Genua, Italy.
October 2007 ordered.
03 November 2009 laid down.
06 August 2010 floated out under the name COSTA FAVOLOSA.
Tonnage 113,216 grt, 10,000 dwt, dim. 289.65 x 35.50 x 11.2m., length bpp.247.7, draught 8.20m.
Powered diesel electric by 6 Wärtsilä 12V46c diesel engines, each 12,600 kW, driving two electric propulsion motors 42,000 hp, two shaft, two fixed pitch propellers, speed 19.5 knots.
Six thrusters each 1720 kW, three bow, three stern.
For supplying electric power on board she can use 6 Wärtsila diesel engines each 12,600 kW with a total output of 76,800 kW.
Accommodation for 3800 passengers and 1110 crew.
30 June 2011 delivered to owners, homeport Genoa.
02 July 2011 christened at Trieste by Mrs. Margraeth Madé.

O4 July 2011 maiden voyage.
COSTA FAVOLOSA is a cruise ship ordered for Costa Crociere in October 2007. Based on the Concordia class design, COSTA FAVOLOSA was laid down by Fincantieri's Marghera shipyard on 5 November 2009 and launched on 6 August 2010. Part of a five-ship expansion of the Costa Crociere fleet, the vessel entered service in July 2011
Design and construction
COSTA FAVOLOSA and sister ship COSTA FASCINOSA were ordered in October 2007 as part of a €2.4 billion expansion of the Costa Crociere fleet, with five ships entering service between 2009 and 2012 to increase the company's passenger capacity by 50%.COSTA FAVOLOSA cost €510 million to build.
The names of the two ships were selected via competition. The first phase saw 16,000 pairs of names submitted by travel agents and their customers from around the world, after being asked to suggest names. These names were to evoke the idea that the ships were magical and glamorous places. 25 name pairs were shortlisted and placed on the company's website, where over 42,000 visitors voted on their favorite. Favolosa (Italian for "fabulous") and Fascinosa ("fascinating" or "glamorous") were selected as the winning name pair.
The first section of the cruise ship was laid down at Fincantieri's Marghera shipyard on 5 November 2009. The ship was launched from the builder's dry dock on 6 August 2010.
The vessel is based on the Concordia class design already in service with Costa Crociere At 114,500 GTs, she can carry up to 3,800 passengers in 1,506 cabins; six more than previous Concordia class ships.
COSTA FAVOLOSA is the fifteenth ship in service with Costa Crociere.
Operational history
COSTA FAVOLOSA entered service in July 2011 when she set sail on a three-day preview cruise departing from Venice on July 4, with calls at Dubrovnik, Croatia; and Koper, Slovenia, and on July 7, an eleven-day inaugural cruise departing from Venice with calls at Bari, Italy; Izmir and Istanbul, Turkey; Mykonos, Piraeus and Olympia, Greece; and Dubrovnik.
For the 2011 summer season, COSTA FAVOLOSA sailed seven-day cruises from Venice and Bari to Olympia, Izmir, Istanbul and Dubrovnik before repositioning to Dubai for a series of winter cruises.
2016 In service, same name and owners, IMO No 9479852.

Uruguay 2015 20p sg?, scott?


The full index of our ship stamp archive


Postby shipstamps » Sun Nov 02, 2008 4:28 pm

Click image to view full size
St Helena did issue a 6p stamp on 17 December 1973, which shows use the British East Indiaman GENERAL GODDARD, which captured seven Dutch East Indiamen off St Helena.
In June 1795 news reached St Helena that the Dutch Revolutionary Party had joined France in the war against England.
Captain William Taylor Money was at St Helena at that time with the GENERAL GODDARD during his fifth voyage from India.
In haste he fitted his ship out for battle, to intercept a Dutch merchant fleet known to be nearing the island.
The GENERAL GODDARD got help from the HMS SCEPTRE a 3rd Rate 64 gun ship, and the packet SWALLOW.

18 May 1795 a Dutch fleet of 16 VOC ships sailed from the Cape, escorted by two warships the SCIPIO and KOMEET bound for the Netherlands. Due to bad weather and adverse winds, eight ships returned to the Table Bay where she arrived on 20 May. One day later the eight ships sailed out again, but had lost the contact with the convoy.
14 June 1795 were these 8 ships captured by the British ships off St Helena. (Not much is given in the Dutch books I have on the VOC about this loss)

The HMS SCEPTER under command of Captain Essington arrived at St Helena in May with a convoy of homebound ships, and she brought the news that armies of France had overran the Netherlands.
Then the packet SWALLOW arrived on 2 June from the Cape with the news that an important Dutch convoy was underway from the Cape to the Netherlands.
Capt Essington made a request to the Governor of St Helena that some of the East Indiamen of the company could be put under his orders, to assist them in the search and capturing of the Dutch convoy.
The MANSHIP, GENERAL GODDARD and the SWALLOW were put under his command, and some troops from the island embarked on this vessels.
03 June this small squadron sailed out and the search for the Dutch convoy began. Five other East Indiamen were prepared to join the squadron, the ASIA, LORD HAWKESBURY, ESSEX, AIRLY CASTLE and BUSBRIDGE. All available space on the island was loaded with the goods unladed from the ships, even the church was used.

The LORD HAWKESBURY, after sailing and in an attempt to weather the island, split her sails, and returned to St Helena. The ESSEX got also in problems when her fore-top-mast sprung. The BUSBRIDGE was the only ship what made contact with the squadron.

10 June one of the ships of the Dutch fleet the HOUGLY was seized and send to the roads of St Helena accompanied by the SWALLOW, after she delivered her at the roads the SWALLOW returned to the squadron with a number of additional seamen to reinforce the squadron.
The weather was not so good; a lot of gales and the MANSHIP and BUSBRIDGE lost the contact with the squadron.
On the afternoon of 14 June, seven sails were sighted on the weather bow, steering down before the wind.
GENERAL GODDARD sailed through the Dutch convoy on about 01.00 a.m. and was fired at, without returning fire.
The next morning at day-break, the Dutch fleet was still on the starboard bow of the HMS SCEPTRE and SWALLOW, and at 07.00 a.m. she displayed Dutch colours, whilst their commodore fired a gun to leeward. This was repeated by the SCEPTRE, and Capt. Essington supposed it would be followed by
‘heaving to’ of the Dutch ships, but the Dutch ships sailed on, three shots fired by the SCEPTRE ahead of the Dutch convoy did not give the result the British hoped for.
A signal was given to the GENERAL GODDARD to chase the Dutchmen to the SCEPTRE, when the GENERAL GODDARD instantaneously appeared under a cloud of canvas and was laid alongside the Dutch commodore ship ALBLASSERDAM who from her imposing appearance thought that she was a warship, and the ALBLASSERDAM followed Money’s directions to bear down.
The Dutch crews of the other ships fired several shots to the SCEPTRE and at the boats that were sent out with boarding parties. After the SCEPTRE did give a few broadsides the Dutch surrendered. At the same time the ASIA and BUSBRIDGE arrived and all seven Dutch vessels were boarded and taken as a prize, without the loss of any person.
All the ships came to anchor in the night of 17 June on the road of St Helena.
01 July the SCEPTRE with her prizes and British convoy sailed for England, the prizes arrived at Shannon, Ireland, where she were sold. The ZEELELIE (not visible on stamp) which had attempted to escape was wrecked off the Scilly Islands that year.

A painting, which depicts this battle, was made by the British artist Thomas Luny (1759 – 1837) for Captain Money of the GENERAL GODDARD (other source gives the painting was made for Robert Wigram the owner); the painting is now in the National Maritime Museum, Greenwich.
After this painting the stamp is designed. Not the complete painting is shown but only the central portion of the painting.
The ZEELELIE and HMS SCEPTRE and the packet SWALLOW are not shown on the stamp.
The GENERAL GODDARD, in foreground of stamp, with the six remaining Dutch ships, which can be seen in the background of the stamp.

The VOC ships taken were used regular between Holland and the Far East after she were built, the URL gives a search engine for the VOC ships for more information on the voyages.
The SURCHEANCE is not given, so most probably she was never used from Holland, or a hired vessel.

ALBLASSERDAM: Named after a town in the Netherlands. Built in 1782 on the yard of the VOC at Zeeland for the Chamber of the VOC at Amsterdam.
1150 ton.
She sailed from Ceylon in 1795, with a cargo on board with a total value of 457.491 Dutch Guilder, under command of Capt. Klaas Keuken, with on board 165 persons, one died during the voyage and 11 disembark at the Cape.

MENTOR: Built on the VOC yard of Zeeland in 1789 for the Chamber of the VOC in Zeeland.
Tonnage 560 ton.
Sailed from Batavia on 22 November 1794, with a cargo on board with a total value of 61.361 Dutch Guilder. She was under command of Capt. Ulke Barendsz with on board 50 persons.

(I believe this MENTOR is also depict on the British Indian Ocean Territory stamp issued in 1999 60p sg 229, not any MENTOR is mentioned in Rowan Hackman book on the “Ships of the East India Company”. The year on the stamp is the same as when the MENTOR was built)

MEERMIN: (Mermaid). Built in 1782 at the VOC yard at Amsterdam for the Chamber of the VOC at Amsterdam.
Tonnage 500 ton.
Sailed in 1795 from Batavia under command of Capt. Gerard Ewoud Overbeek with on board 40 persons.

DORDWIJK: Built in 1787 in Rotterdam for the Chamber of the VOC of Delft/Rotterdam.
Tonnage 800 ton
22 November 1794 she sailed from Batavia under command of Capt. Hendrik Willem Ketjen with on board 40 persons.

Built in 1782 by Randall, Rotherhite for William Money.
30 January 1782 launched under the name GENERAL GODDARD.
She made her first voyage under command of Captain Thomas Foxall for the British East India Company to Bombay, she made three voyages more to India, before she was sold in 1790 to Robert Wigram.
Her next voyage to Bengal was under command of Capt. Thomas Wakefield, thereafter she made a voyage under command of Captain W.T.Money, and during this voyage she assisted HMS SCEPTRE in the capture of seven Dutch East Indiamen off St Helena.
Thereafter she made one more voyage under command of Captain Thomas Graham from 1796 till 1798 to the Coromandel Coast and Bengal.
1798 After her arrival back in England, sold as a West Indiamen for the trade to the West Indies.
January 1800 taken by a Spanish 1st Rate, 80 gun and a frigate, 32 guns off Cuba, while on a passage from London to Jamaica and taken to Havana.
Then she disappears in history.
Tonnage 799 tons, dim. 116.7 x 35.11 x 14.9ft.

VROUWE AGATHA: (Lady Agatha). Built ?, she was hired by the Chamber of the VOC of Amsterdam.
Tonnage 900 ton.
22 November 1794 she sailed from Batavia under command of Capt. Herman Pieter Murk, crew ?
On board was a cargo with a total value of 115.960 Dutch Guilders.

SURCHEANCE: Bought in 1786.
Tonnage 768 ton.
Sailed 22 November 1794 from Batavia under command of Capt. Christiaan Zummack, crew ?
Cargo on board with a total value of 81.527 Dutch Guilder.
1795 The SURCHEANCE was lost on her voyage between St Helena and the U.K.

Source: Van Compagnie naar Koopvaardij by Dr. E S van Eyck van Heslinga. Log Book Volume 14 page 234. Ships of the East India Company by Rowan Hackman.
Site Admin
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Yahoo [Bot] and 23 guests

Sponsored Links