Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

BUNGO or BONGO dugout

The ‘bungo” or “bongo” is in Panama a large 18th century dugout canoe, that carried passengers and cargo on the Rio Changres across the isthmus from Panama City to Porto Bello.

During the gold rush to California it carried the forty-niners the nickname for the first passengers to the gold fields in 1844 from the Rio Charges at Gorgona to Las Cruises a distance of forty-mile which took three to four days. From there the passengers were taken overland to Panama City, to board a passenger vessel for San Francisco.
The bongo was partly covered with a palm-thatched shelter as seen on the stamp, to protect the passengers against the sun and rain.
The bongo was paddled by a crew of 18 – 20 . Length ca 37 m. Could carry only a few passengers with their luggage. The stamp shows only three crew poling the bongo.
More on this set of stamps is given on viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7055#!lightbox[gallery]/1/

Source: Various internet sites and Aak to Zumbra a dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.
Canal Zone 1949 6c sg 196, scott 143.

Gabon ships on stamps 1965.

This stamps issued by Gabon were designed by the French marine painter Roger Chapelet (1903 – 1995)

25Fr. Vaisseau an French term for ship. The stamp issued by Gabon in 1965 shows a ship of the 16th Century.
It looks that a model of a galleon is depict. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11966

50F. Vaisseau, merchant ship of the XVII century. The merchantman at that time was used for trading and commerce but she was also armed to protect her for pirate attacks.

85 Fr. In the 18th century, the term frigate referred to ships that were usually as long as a ship of the line and were square-rigged on all three masts (full rigged), but were faster and with lighter armament, used for patrolling and escort. In the definition adopted by the British Admiralty, they were rated ships of at least 28 guns, carrying their principal armaments upon a single continuous deck — the upper deck — while ships of the line possessed two or more continuous decks bearing batteries of guns.
Source: Wikipedia.

The stamp shows a two-masted brig. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11973

Gabon 1965 85f sg230/233, scott ?


As given by Watercraft Philately the small dinghy is a “pram dinghy” with a length of 6ft.
A small rowboat used as a tender and also used as a small racing yacht. Normally rowed, when used for racing fitted out with a sail and an outboard rudder.
In the past often used as a tender by the yachts anchored in the harbour, but have now been mostly replaced by a small inflatable.

Cayman Islands 1962 1sh 9p sg176, scott 164.
Source: Internet.


Canada issued in 1967 a set of stamps with paintings, the 20c stamp shows us a painting made by James Wilson Morrice ... n-morrice/
The painting combines three views: the train station at Lévis at the St Lawrence River, and a view of Cape Diamond taken from the ferry on the St Lawrence River in the centre of the painting, sailing between Lévis and Quebec. The painting is now in the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa.
The painting was made in 1906 and at that time the ferry service was owned by the Quebec & Levis Ferry Co., Quebec, and in 1906 the company owned four ferries, which ferry is shown is not known.

The ferries owned by the company were steam ferries.

SOUTH, built as a wooden ferry by A. Russell at Levis in 1885, tonnage 349 ton.
1924 Sold to T. Hardy, Quebec, not renamed.
First quarter of 1934 broken up.
POLARIS, built as a wooden ferry by R. Sample, Levis in 1883, tonnage 533 ton.
1924 Sold to H. Lizotte, Quebec, not renamed.
Second quarter of 1928 broken up.
PILOT, built as a wooden ferry by R. Sample, Levis in 1884, tonnage 427 ton.
18 November 1917 she was wrecked at Red Island, St Lawrence.
QUEEN, a wooden ferry built by E. Samson, Levis in 1886, tonnage 367 ton.
1924 Sold to La Traverse de Levis Ltee, Quebec, not renamed.
1927 Broken up.

It looks that in 1924 the Quebec & Levis Ferry Co., was going out of business.

Canada 1967 20c sg 587, scott464.
Source: and internet


The stamp issued in 1973 by France shows us the largest lock in France, also three cargo ships, one is leaving the lock, the ships look like bulkers, and have not been identified.

The lock is the François Premier lock in Le Havre in north France, and the lock provide access to a huge basin and shipping terminals located upstream of the industrial port area of Le Havre.
The lock was completed in 1971, with a length of 400 metre and wide of 67 metres.

Source: Internet
France 1973 0.90Fr. sg 1998, scott 1364.


The 10c stamp issued by the Gilbert & Ellice Islands issued in 1971 tells us the myth or legend how Butaritari Island received his name.
The stamp shows an angler sitting in a dug-out canoe pulling up the island. The following storey is downloaded from the internet.

Posted by Amota Eromanga on August 8, 2013 at 5:50 PM

Many years ago, at Buariki village on Tarawa lived Kaboia and his wife. He was nothing but lazy bones. He didn’t cut toddy or went fishing and his bwabwai pits were the only ones in the village that lay uncultivated. All he loved doing was staying home - sleeping on his buia; while young men in his village would go fishing, cut toddy or work inside their bwaibwai pits located out in the bush. His wife often encouraged him to stop being lazy and be active like the others but he just couldn’t listen.
An important feast to honor the gods was planned and agreed to be held soon in the village. It was compulsory whereby every family must bring three dried salted fish, two bwaibwai (taro) and two coconut shells full of kamwaimwai (syrup) to the mwaneaba. At the day of the feast, all the families in the village brought the required items except Kaboia and his wife who had nothing to bring.
The village people weren’t complaining but only reminded the couple to prepare the items before the next feast. The next and similar feast came and still the family of Kaboia didn’t bring anything at all. This time, people began complaining about the lazy couple. The old men of the village called Kaiboia to a disciplinary meeting and informed him that he must bring his contribution of fish, bwabwai and kamwaimwai to the next feast. He was given no other choices. At the third feast, Kaiboia brought nothing. Now, everyone in the village was really angry because the couple had never brought any foods to the gods. They decided to punish them.
Kaiboia was afraid of the punishment so he began working hard. He started cutting toddy and working in his bwabwai pits. One day, he prepared his fishing gear then set off on his small outrigger canoe. He paddled northwards where he met other fishermen on the way. They mockingly laughed at him knowing that it was his first time to fish. They were also certain that he knew none of the fishing grounds at all. Kaiboia did not care at all; he just paddled further away from them. As he reached the spot - in line with Abaiang island - he paddled a little further so the island was just behind. He floated and began fishing.
Not long, his fishing line was tugged so he quickly held back tightly. The pull increased hence Kaiboia kept holding back. “A very big fish!” he thought for the pull was incredible. He kept pulling his line hoping to see a huge fish. Alas, what he had caught appeared on the water surface. He couldn’t believe what he saw. It wasn’t a big fish but an island! He called the island Butaritari (smell of the sea).

Categories: Legends & Myths ... butaritari
Gilbert and Ellice islands 1971 10c sg 244, scott?


The full index of our ship stamp archive


Postby shipstamps » Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:17 pm

She was built as a three masted iron wool clipper by Barclay, Curle & Co., Glasgow for A. J.H. Carmichael & Co. (the “Golden Fleece Line”.) at Greenock.
1872 Launched under the name MERMERUS. All the ships of the Golden Fleece Line were named after characters in the Golden Fleece legend.
Tonnage 1.750 gross, 1.671 net. dim. 264.2 x 39.8 x 23.7ft.

Her maiden voyage was under command of Capt. Fife from England to Melbourne.
On her return voyage she carried a cargo of wool, could carry 10.000 bales of wool, which was the fleeces of a million sheep, and worth more or less £130.000 at that time.
She never made a bad voyage under the flag of the Golden Fleece Line.
Her third voyage in 1874 was to Sydney and on that voyage she carried a dozen South Sea Island missionaries as passenger. After a passage of 72 days she arrived at Sydney. Her outward freight was £5.000.
After discharging she sailed to Newcastle N.S.W. to load a cargo of coal for San Francisco. The freight on the cargo was 24 shilling a ton. She made the passage in 56 days.
At San Francisco she loaded 2.420 tons of wheat at £4 1s. 3d. for Liverpool.
25 May 1875 arrived at the Mersey, 104 days out from San Francisco.
21 July 1875 sailed from Liverpool and made the passage from Tuskar rocks to Melbourne in 69 days. Her return voyage was with wheat.
Her best passage she made in 1876, outward when she sailed from London on the 25 June, took gunpowder in at Gravesend, and arrived in Hobson Bay on the 30 August. From the powder buoys at Gravesend to Melbourne she made the passage in 66 days.
1877 She made her best homeward passage in 71 days to the Lizard from Melbourne.
1886/87 Made her homeward passage to the London Docks in 78 days.
1888 Command was taken over by Capt. J.G. Coles.
1898 Sold to Gösta Lindblom, Abo, Finland.
Command was taken over by Capt. G.A.Cavenius.
October 1900 sold to Robert Mattsson, Mariehamn, for 190.000 marks, command was taken over by Capt. M.A. Gustafsson.
04 Feb. 1902 arrived at Port Adelaide from Cardiff after a passage of 73 days.
Sailed 08 Dec. 1903 from Frederikshald, Norway bound for Port Adelaide with a cargo of timber, arrived there 08 Feb. 1904, made the passage in 73 days.
23 Oct. 1905 sailed from London and arrived Port Pirie, Australia after a passage of 75 days.
Sailed on 8 Dec. 1909 from Frederikstad with a cargo of timber for Melbourne, during heavy fog she stranded during the night of 11/12 December at Ranø, east of Kristiansand. On the 12th in the afternoon refloated, came to anchor in a sheltered place. Lost during the salvage her fore-mast.
14 Dec. sank on her anchorage, patched up and refloated, towed to the outer roadstead of Kristiansand.
16 December inspected, found that her keel had been damaged from the stem to the midships. She was condemned, not worth the money to repair her.
During a public auction on 18 March 1910 sold for 12.700 Crowns for breaking up.
On Penrhyn 1981 $4 sg 207, 1984 $3 sg 353, 1985 $3 and $4 sg O34/35.

Source: ... merus(1872).html
The Colonial Clippers by Basil Lubbock
Site Admin
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm


Postby aukepalmhof » Wed Sep 28, 2011 2:58 am

Click image to view full size
On Penrhyn 1981 scott171.
Posts: 5302
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Postby aukepalmhof » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:06 pm

Click image to view full size
2017 mermerus.jpg
Click image to view full size
Another great ship-owner, Robert Mattsson (1851-1935) from Vårdö, purchased
the full-rigged clipper MERMERUS in 1900. Prior to establishing his first shipping
company in 1878, Robert had been a sailor and master mariner. Built in Glasgow in 1872, MERMERUS was a beautiful ironclad clipper and also one of the most rapid sailing ships ever built. MERMERUS met her destiny in 1909 when she ran aground just off Kristiansand on the Norwegian coast
and was scrapped. Allan Palmer has painted the ship just off the Chilean coast on one of
her many voyages. From Peru, she carried guano that was unloaded in London after a
96-day voyage.

Aland Islands 2017 Euro 0.20 sg?. scott?
Source: Aland Post Stamps no4 2016
Posts: 5302
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 96 guests