Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

COXLESS SCULL Biglin brothers

This stamp is designed after a painting made by Thomas Eakins and shows the Biglin Brothers ... ver_-_1872
The painting was made in 1872 and is now in the National Gallery of Art in Washington and shows the Biglin Brothers in a coxless scull of which Wikipedia gives:

A coxless pair is a rowing boat used in the sport of competitive rowing. It is designed for two rowers, who propel the boat with sweep oars.
The crew consists of a pair of rowers, each having one oar, one on the stroke side (rower's right hand side) and one on the bow side (rower's lefthand side). As the name suggests, there is no coxswain on such a boat, and the two rowers must co-ordinate steering and the proper timing of oar strokes between themselves or by means of a steering installation which is operated by foot from one of the rowers. The equivalent boat when it is steered by a cox is referred to as a "coxed pair".
Racing boats (often called "shells") are long, narrow, and broadly semi-circular in cross-section in order to reduce drag to a minimum. Originally made from wood, shells are now almost always made from a composite material (usually carbon-fibre reinforced plastic) for strength and weight advantages. Pairs have a fin towards the rear, to help prevent roll and yaw. The riggers are staggered alternately along the boat so that the forces apply asymmetrically to each side of the boat.
A coxless pair is often considered the most difficult boat to row, as each rower must balance his/her side in cooperation with the other, apply equal power, place their catch and extract the blade simultaneously in order to move the boat efficiently. It requires excellent technique, communication and experience.
"Coxless pair" is one of the classes recognized by the International Rowing Federation and is competed in the Olympic Games
USA 1967 5c sg ?, scott1335.

BUNGO or BONGO dugout

The ‘bungo” or “bongo” is in Panama a large 18th century dugout canoe, that carried passengers and cargo on the Rio Changres across the isthmus from Panama City to Porto Bello.

During the gold rush to California it carried the forty-niners the nickname for the first passengers to the gold fields in 1844 from the Rio Charges at Gorgona to Las Cruises a distance of forty-mile which took three to four days. From there the passengers were taken overland to Panama City, to board a passenger vessel for San Francisco.
The bongo was partly covered with a palm-thatched shelter as seen on the stamp, to protect the passengers against the sun and rain.
The bongo was paddled by a crew of 18 – 20 . Length ca 37 m. Could carry only a few passengers with their luggage. The stamp shows only three crew poling the bongo.
More on this set of stamps is given on viewtopic.php?f=2&t=7055#!lightbox[gallery]/1/

Source: Various internet sites and Aak to Zumbra a dictionary of the World’s Watercraft.
Canal Zone 1949 6c sg 196, scott 143.

Gabon ships on stamps 1965.

This stamps issued by Gabon were designed by the French marine painter Roger Chapelet (1903 – 1995)

25Fr. Vaisseau an French term for ship. The stamp issued by Gabon in 1965 shows a ship of the 16th Century.
It looks that a model of a galleon is depict. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11966

50F. Vaisseau, merchant ship of the XVII century. The merchantman at that time was used for trading and commerce but she was also armed to protect her for pirate attacks.

85 Fr. In the 18th century, the term frigate referred to ships that were usually as long as a ship of the line and were square-rigged on all three masts (full rigged), but were faster and with lighter armament, used for patrolling and escort. In the definition adopted by the British Admiralty, they were rated ships of at least 28 guns, carrying their principal armaments upon a single continuous deck — the upper deck — while ships of the line possessed two or more continuous decks bearing batteries of guns.
Source: Wikipedia.

The stamp shows a two-masted brig. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11973

Gabon 1965 85f sg230/233, scott ?


As given by Watercraft Philately the small dinghy is a “pram dinghy” with a length of 6ft.
A small rowboat used as a tender and also used as a small racing yacht. Normally rowed, when used for racing fitted out with a sail and an outboard rudder.
In the past often used as a tender by the yachts anchored in the harbour, but have now been mostly replaced by a small inflatable.

Cayman Islands 1962 1sh 9p sg176, scott 164.
Source: Internet.


Canada issued in 1967 a set of stamps with paintings, the 20c stamp shows us a painting made by James Wilson Morrice ... n-morrice/
The painting combines three views: the train station at Lévis at the St Lawrence River, and a view of Cape Diamond taken from the ferry on the St Lawrence River in the centre of the painting, sailing between Lévis and Quebec. The painting is now in the National Gallery of Canada in Ottawa.
The painting was made in 1906 and at that time the ferry service was owned by the Quebec & Levis Ferry Co., Quebec, and in 1906 the company owned four ferries, which ferry is shown is not known.

The ferries owned by the company were steam ferries.

SOUTH, built as a wooden ferry by A. Russell at Levis in 1885, tonnage 349 ton.
1924 Sold to T. Hardy, Quebec, not renamed.
First quarter of 1934 broken up.
POLARIS, built as a wooden ferry by R. Sample, Levis in 1883, tonnage 533 ton.
1924 Sold to H. Lizotte, Quebec, not renamed.
Second quarter of 1928 broken up.
PILOT, built as a wooden ferry by R. Sample, Levis in 1884, tonnage 427 ton.
18 November 1917 she was wrecked at Red Island, St Lawrence.
QUEEN, a wooden ferry built by E. Samson, Levis in 1886, tonnage 367 ton.
1924 Sold to La Traverse de Levis Ltee, Quebec, not renamed.
1927 Broken up.

It looks that in 1924 the Quebec & Levis Ferry Co., was going out of business.

Canada 1967 20c sg 587, scott464.
Source: and internet


The stamp issued in 1973 by France shows us the largest lock in France, also three cargo ships, one is leaving the lock, the ships look like bulkers, and have not been identified.

The lock is the François Premier lock in Le Havre in north France, and the lock provide access to a huge basin and shipping terminals located upstream of the industrial port area of Le Havre.
The lock was completed in 1971, with a length of 400 metre and wide of 67 metres.

Source: Internet
France 1973 0.90Fr. sg 1998, scott 1364.

Ben-my-Chree lV 1927

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Ben-my-Chree lV 1927

Postby shipstamps » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:23 pm

Click image to view full size
Click image to view full size
This twin-screw turbine steamer of 2,586 tons was launched in 1927. She served as a troop transport during the Second World War and also carried out three successful rescue missions to Dunkirk. On D-Day she was part of the invasion fleet to Normandy. After the war she was returned to the Company and remained in service until 1965.
SG174 606 IOM Post Office.

A veteran of the Dunkirk operation in which she rescued over 4,000 troops, the Ben-my-Chree IV worked as a transport vessel plying between the northern ports of Britain and Iceland. Then because of her reputation as a good sea boat and her ability to be extremely stable even in the roughest of waters, she was later fined out as an LSl (H), capable of carrying six landing craft. On the first day of D-Day she was involved in the landing of the US Army and US Rangers onto the OMAHA BEACH.
After that, she was used as the Headquarters ship for the 514th Assault Flotilla.
Site Admin
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: Ben-my-Chree lV

Postby aukepalmhof » Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:09 pm

Click image to view full size
Built as a passenger-ferry under yard No 926 by Cammell, Laird & CO, Birkenhead for the Isle of Man Steam Packet Co.
05 April 1927 launched as the BEN-MY-CHREE (VI)
Tonnage 2,586 gross, 1823 net, 1,043 dwt., dim. 355 x 46.1 x 17.4ft.
Powered by four steam turbines, manufactured by builder, 1,745 nhp, twin screws, speed 22 knots.
Accommodation for 2,000 passengers.
June 1927 completed. The builders reported a direct loss of £17,000 on the building of the ship, due to a long coal strike and steel had been bought at a premium from the European continent.

She was the first vessel built for the company after World War I, and she set the pattern for all the larger ships in the company to have just one funnel.
29 June 1927 maiden voyage.
During the summer was she used in the early morning sailing from Liverpool to Douglas, returning in the evening.
During the early 1930s was the hull painted white as seen on the 13p stamp, but after the war painted black again.
During World War II, she left Liverpool on 10 September 1939 for the Bristol Channel for troopship service to Quiberon Bay in France.
24 September she sailed in this service for the first time from Newport, later that year in December used in the Cross Channel troop service from Southampton to Le Havre of Nantes.
Then she took part in Operation Dynamo the evacuation from Dunkirk.
30 May 1940 she left Southampton for her first trip from Dunkirk to Dover.
On her last voyage on 2 June in Dunkirk road she came in collision with an unknown vessel in which she sustained severe damage on her bow and bow rudder, but she made it safely to Dover.
07 June she sailed from Dover to the Mersey for repair in Birkenhead.
27 June she sailed again from Birkenhead bound for Milford Haven with the intention to use her in the troop transport between Great Britain and Ireland.
From 2 September used in the troop transport service between Aberdeen or Leith to Kirkwall and Stromness.
1941 Made also voyages from Scotland to Thornshavn, Faeroes, two months later made a voyage to Iceland.
The later part of the year used for the transport of troops, refugees and other personnel.
For the most part of 1942 and 1943 she sailed between Belfast and Fleetwood.
30 December 1943 she received orders to proceed to North Shields to be fitted out as a Landing Ship Infantry (hand hoisting).
Fitted out with six landings craft.
02 March 1944 she left the Tyne to take part in the Operation Neptune, the landing in Normandy.
05 June 1944 as part of Assault Convoy 01 she sailed from Weymouth for the Omaha Beach, after landing her troops she returned to the U.K. where after she was used as troopship to ferry troops to France and later Belgium.
She was used in this role till10 May 1946 when she sailed from Dover for an extensive refit prior to re-entering her service between Fleetwood and the Island of Man.
After 1950 only used during the summer months until 1965, after the last season laid up before she was sold to the Belgium shipbreaker Heyghem Ferres and towed to Brugge (Bruges) where she arrived on 28 December 1965 for scrapping.

Isle of Man 1980 13p sg174, scott?. 1994 4p sg606, scott? and 2004 47p sg?, scott?, she is the vessel on the right of the stamp, the other on the left is the LADY OF MAN.

Source: Island Lifeline by Connery Chappell. Short Sea: Long War by John de S. Winser.
Posts: 5304
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 91 guests