SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

DELTUVA

The Colombian Post issued in 2018 a miniature sheet with images from Barranquilla, of which one stamp shows us the Barranquilla port with a cargo vessel.

The cargo vessel is the DELTUVA the name is visible on the bow when you enlarge the stamp.
Built as a cargo vessel under yard No b570-1/1 by Stocznia Szczecinska Nowa Z O.O. New Szczecin Shipyard in Szczecin, Poland for Clipper Eagle Shipping Ltd., Nassau, Bahamas,
09 July 1994 launched as the CLIPPER EAGLE.
Tonnage 11,542 grt, 5,366 net, 16,906 dwt, dim. 149,44 x 23.00 x 12.10m., length bpp. 138.0m, draught 6.10m.
Powered by a one 4S50MC 4-cyl. diesel engine, manufactured bu H. Cegielski, 5,720 kW. One fixed pitch propeller. Speed 14 knots.
Four holds. Two cranes each 20.0 ton lifting capacity.
Capacity, grain 21,307m², bale 21,043m².
04 October 1994 completed. IMO No 8908832.

2007 Sold to Lithuanian Shipping Co. Klaipeda, Lithuania, renamed in DELTUVA.
2016 After the Lithuanian Shipping Co, got bankrupt during a public auction the DELTUVA was bought by Pirita Shipholding Co., Geneva, Switserland, renamed PIRITA under Antigua& Barbuda flag and registry.
15 June 2017 PIRITA arrived Chittagong, Bangladesh for scrapping.

Colombia 2018 $5.000 sg?, scott? and miniature sheet al $5.000 stamps.
Source: http://www.miramarshipindex.nz and internet.

FAKHR EL BIHAR Royal yacht

For a meeting between King Farouk of Egypt and King Ibn Saud of Saudi Arabia in 1945 at Radhwa the Saudi Arabian Post issued four stamps. The stamps are not so clear, but the vessel on the left top is the Egyptian Royal yacht FAKHR EL BIHAR on which the meeting took place.

Built as a steel hulled yacht under yard No 268 by Ramage & Ferguson, Leith, Scotland for H.H. Prince Youssouf Kamal, Alexandria, Egypt.
09 September 1930 launched as the NAZ-PERWER.
Tonnage 708 grt, 251nrt, 1.051 tm, dim. 75.98 x 9.75 x 4.98m.
Powered by two 4S.C.SA 8-cyl. oil engines, manufactured by Friedrich Krupp A.G., Kiel, 384 nhp.
Schooner rigged.
December 1930 completed.

1940 Sold to King Farouk of Egypt and renamed in FAKHR EL BIHAR.
24 January 1945 King Farouk visited King Ibn Saud of Saudi Arabia. The meeting between the two kings took place in Radhwa on board of the FAKHR EL BIHAR.
1949 Sold to the Egyptian Government and renamed El QUOSSEIR. Used by the Egyptian Naval Academy as training ship.
2018 In service same name and managed by the Egyptian Navy.

Source Log Book 3/70 and internet.
Saudi Arabia 1945 ½ to 10g scott 173/76

TE ARAWA waka

Hawaiki – a real island? Or a mythical place? Hawaiki is the traditional Māori place of origin. The first Māori are said to have sailed to New Zealand from Hawaiki

In Māori mythology, ARAWA was one of the great ocean-going, voyaging canoes that was used in the migrations that settled Aotearoa (New Zealand).
The Te ARAWA confederation of Māori iwi and hapu (tribes and sub-tribes) based in the Rotorua and Bay of Plenty areas of New Zealand trace their ancestry from this waka
Construction of the canoe
Eventually, a large tree was felled and from this the waka which eventually came to be known as Te ARAWA was formed. The men who turned this log into a beautifully decorated canoe were Rata, Wahieroa, Ngaahue and Parata. "Hauhau-te-rangi" and "Tuutauru" (made from New Zealand greenstone brought back by Ngaahue) were the adzes they used for this time-consuming and intensive work. Upon completion, the waka was given the name Ngaa raakau kotahi puu a Atua Matua (also known as Ngaa raakau maatahi puu a Atua Matua).
The waka was eventually completed and berthed in Whenuakura Bay while Tama-te-kapua, in his capacity as rangatira (chief) of the canoe, set about trying to find a tohunga (priest) for the journey. Ngātoro-i-rangi and his wife Kearoa were tricked by Tama-te-kapua to board the canoe to perform the necessary appeasement incantations to the gods prior to the canoe's departure. However, while they were on board, Tama-te-kapua signalled his men to quickly set sail, and before Ngātoro-i-rangi and his wife could respond they were far out to sea
Voyage to Aotearoa
One of the more dramatic stories pertaining to the voyage to Aotearoa occurred because Tama-te-kapua became desirous of Kearoa. Ngātoro-i-rangi noticed the glint in Tama-te-kapua's eye and took precautions to protect his wife during the night while he was on deck navigating by the stars. This was done by tying one end of a cord to her hair and holding the other end in his hand. However, Tama-te-kapua untied the cord from Kearoa's hair and attached it to the bed instead. He then made love to her, following this pattern over a number of nights. One night however, he was nearly discovered in the act by Ngātoro-i-rangi, but just managed to escape. In his haste he forgot the cord. Ngātoro-i-rangi noticed this and therefore knew that Tama-te-kapua had been with Kearoa. He was furious and, in his desire to gain revenge, raised a huge whirlpool in the sea named Te korokoro-o-te-Parata ("The throat of Te Parata"). The waka was about to be lost with all on board but Ngātoro-i-rangi eventually took pity and caused the seas to become calm (Steedman, pp 99-100).
One incident that occurred during this drama was that all the kūmara (sweet potato) carried on the waka were lost overboard, save for a few that were in a small kete being clutched by Whakaotirang Immediately after the calming of the seas, a shark (known as an ARAWA) was seen in the water. Ngātoro-i-rangi immediately renamed the waka Te ARAWA, after this shark, which then accompanied the waka to Aotearoa, acting in the capacity of a kai-tiaki (guardian).
The ARAWA waka then continued on to Aotearoa without incident, finally sighting land at Whangaparaoa where feather headdresses were foolishly cast away due to greed and due to the beauty of the pohutukawa bloom. Upon landfall, an argument took place with members of the Tainui canoe over a beached whale and the ownership thereof. Tama-te-kapua again resorted to trickery and took possession of it despite rightful claim of the Tainui. . The canoe then travelled north up the coast to the Coromandel Peninsula, where Tama-te-kapua first sighted the mountain Moehau, a place he was later to make home. Heading south again, it finally came to rest at Maketu, where it was beached and stood until being burnt by Raumati of Taranaki some years later.
Some items of note that were brought to Aotearoa on the ARAWA, other than the precious kūmara saved by Whakaotirangi, was a tapu kōhatu (stone) left by Ngātoro-i-rangi on the island Te Poito o te Kupenga a Taramainuku just off the coast of Cape Colville. This stone held the mauri to protect the Te ARAWA peoples and their descendants from evil times (Stafford, 1967, p17). In addition, the waka brought over two gods, one called Itupaoa, which was represented by a roll of tapa, and another stone carving now possibly buried at Mokoia Island, Lake Rotorua.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ARAWA_(canoe)
New Zealand 1906 ½d sg 370, scott ?

INAUGURATION OF THE PORT OF LOME

For the inauguration of the port of Lome and the 8th anniversary of Independence the Togo Post issued a set of stamps.

The 20f stamp shows us the inauguration of the port with in the background a tug and cargo vessels, which are not identified.
Lomé is the main port for the trade of goods. It was established by the Germans in the early 1900s. From the wooden wharf to the current modern facilities, this port has been the centre of major changes. Today (2018) , it is one of the deepest–water ports in the whole West African region, handling over 80% of the international trade of Togo. Lomé is also an important transit point for landlocked countries such as Niger and Burkina Faso.
The Port of Lomé lies in the Gulf of Guinea (Atlantic coast), in the extreme southwestern corner of the country. Its modernization started in the 1960s. The deepwater harbor was completed/inaugurated in 1968. It was initially planned for a 400,000-ton annual traffic, but currently handles a traffic estimated over 6 millions tons.
The increased capacity of the Port of Lomé has facilitated the shipping of phosphates and other major export products, such as cocoa, coffee, copra, cotton, and palm products. It has also positioned Lomé as one of the main port for the international trade of neighboring landlocked countries such as Niger and Burkina Faso.

Source: http://dlca.logcluster.org/display/publ ... CB9087590E
Togo 1968 30f sg 590 scott?

LANDING OF THE MAORI IN NEW ZEALAND AROUND 1350.

Landing of Maori in New Zealand around 1350, in the background of the stamp you see a double hulled waka prow.

Maori history was transmitted orally from generation to generation in pre-European times. A continuing examination of the traditions, archaeological, linguistic and cultural evidence, has discredited the 'great fleet theory' of the Maori arrival in New Zealand. The consensus among scholars now is that the Polynesians originally moved into the Pacific from the west, spread eastwards, and that the Maori came most recently from the eastern Pacific (that is from Tahiti or the Marquesas). They began to arrive here in small groups, starting more than 1000 years ago, probably via islands to the north-east. The scene depicted on the stamp is an original conception by the artist of the arrival of one of the canoes The Maoris have been pictured as arriving in a state of physical exhaustion, the inevitable consequence, despite their magnificent seafaring skills, of weeks spent in open canoes.

The first Maori arrived in the canoe ARAWA or TAINUI.

New Zealand 1940 ½d sg613, scott?
Source: New Zealand Post.

CANOE PROW MAKING BY MAORI

Canoe Prow.
This 1d stamp shows us the making of a canoe prow by the Maori in New Zealand before 1800 by which the New Zealand Post gives:
When it is considered that the Māori did not process metal tools and relied upon stone and bone, the intricacy and beauty of the wood carving that was produced is incredible.

New Zealand 1906 1d sg 371, scott ?.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Douglas 1

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Douglas 1

Postby shipstamps » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:19 pm


Click image to view full size

Click image to view full size
Built in 1858, this steamer was the fastest then afloat and had the unusual distinction of serving on both sides during the American Civil War. In 1862 she was sold to agents for the Confederate States of America and made eighteen blockade-running trips under the name 'Margaret and Jessie' before being captured and sold to the Federal Navy. She was commissioned as U.S.S. Gettysburg and shared in the capture of five Confederate runners.
This label depicts the first Douglas of the company which introduced straight stems to the fleet. In other respects she was a startling contrast to her predecessors in that she was exceptionally long and narrow-gutted. On trial her speed was17.25 knots, and she usually made the run between Liverpool and Douglas in about 4 hrs. 20 min. and also was reputedly the fastest steamer afloat at that time.
In 1862 she was acquired by Fraser, Trenholm and Company, Confederate Agents, for the purpose of running the Federal blockade in the American Civil War. Painted grey and rechristened Margaret and Jessie she had a most successful career until driven ashore at Nassau, in the Bahamas, by the Federal ship Rhode Island in June 1863. The engines of the Douglas were to be seen on Nassau beach for over 80 years after the incident. This vessel was also the first 2-funnelled steamer built for the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company and was the last built for the line by Robert Napier. She was a ship of 700 gross tons on dimensions: 205 ft. (b.p.) x 26 ft. x 14 ft. and was completed in 1858.

SG171 IOM Post Office and Sea Breezes 7/54
shipstamps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: Douglas 1

Postby aukepalmhof » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:58 pm

Built as a paddle steamer by Robert Napier & Co. at Glasgow for the Isle of Man Steam Packet Company Ltd.
28 May 1858 launched under the name DOUGLAS (I)
Tonnage 700 ton gross, dim. 205.0 x 26.0 x 14.0ft.
Side lever steam engine hp? Speed during trials 17¼ knots.
She was the first steamer of the company with an upright stem.
Building cost £17.500, plus KING ORRY built in 1842, in part exchange.

After completing used in the ferry service between Liverpool and Douglas.
Her fastest crossing between these two ports was in 4 hours and 20 minutes.
After 4 years service for the company she was sold, nominally to Cunard Wilson & Co., but really to Fraser, Trenholm & Co., the American Confederate Agents. She was sold for £24.000.

Painted gray and renamed MARGARET AND JESSIE and used for the blockade running during the Civil War in America. She was then owned by John Fraser and Company at Charleston, and under command of Capt. William Wilson, she made four voyages between Nassau and Charleston.
13 Feb. 1863, she sailed for her first voyage from Charleston, and returned on 24 March from Nassau.
06 April sailed out again to Nassau and returned on 20 May.
31 May sailed out again to Nassau.
The Union cruiser RHODE ISLAND chased her then, and she ran aground off Eleuthera

The following comes from the newspaper Nassau Guardian of 3 June 1863.

We have to record this evening an other unjustifiable outrage committed by a Federal gunboat within the prescribed limits of our shores. On Saturday last the MARGARET AND JESSIE under Capt. Wilson, from Charleston for this port, was fallen in with by the federal steamer RHODE ISLAND off Abaco, and chased till she arrived close to the shore of Jennes Point, Eleuthera.
There would be no legal cause of complaint had the pursuit and firing ceased as soon as the MARGARET AND JESSIE approached within the distance of three miles from the land; but as she neared the coast, and was only 20 yards of, that is between the reef and the land, the gunboat, which was not more than from a quarter to a half-a-mile distant, commenced pouring in broadside after broadside, varying the performance with shot, grape and shell- not only to the imminent danger of all on board (and there were ladies among the passengers), but to serious alarm of the inhabitants of the Island, who suddenly found themselves subjected to a sharp and decisive bombardment. The missiles fired from the RHODE ISLAND ploughed up the earth in various directions, and came in close proximity to, it not actually passing through, dwellings, and drove people to seek refuge between rocks and other protections. This was kept up for miles, and at length the MAGARET AND JESSIE received a shot through her boiler, and another through her bows, which forced her to take the beach, then only fifty yards distant.

Some day later she was refloated and arrived at Nassau, after repair sailed out again for Charleston where she arrived on 16 June.

She was then sold to the Import and Export Company, and came under the command of Capt. Robert Lockwood, and continued her career in blockade running until captured by the US Federal Navy.

07 July, sailed again out for Nassau and returned, (date not given.) Her last voyage from Charleston was when she sailed again in July (not a date given) from that port.
When she was trying to enter Wilmington, the FULTON, KEYSTONE STATE and NANSEMOND off Wilmington, N.C, captured her on 5 Nov. 1863.
She was purchased from the New York Prize Court by the Federal Navy and commissioned GETTYSBURG at the New York Navy Yard on 2 May 1864. She was named of the southern USA Pennsylvania, site of one of the most important battles of the Civil War 1 – 3 July 1863. It was at the dedication of the National Cemetery on the battleground 19 November 1863 that President Lincoln delivered his immortal Gettysburg Address.
She came under command of Lieutenant Roswell H. Lamson.
She is then given with a tonnage of 950 tons, dim. 221 x 26.3 x 13.6ft. Speed 15 knots.
Crew 96.
Armament 1 – 30 pdr. Parrott, 2 – 12 pdr. guns and 4 – 24 pdrs howitzer.

A fast strong steamer, GETTYSBURG was assigned blockading duty with the North Atlantic Blockading Squadron, and departed New York 7 May 1864. She arrived at Beaufort, N.C. 14 May and from there took station at the entrance to the Cape Fear River.

For the next 7 months, Gettysburg was engaged in the vital business of capturing blockade-runners carrying supplies to the strangling South. She captured several ships, and occasionally performed other duties. On 8 October, for instance, she rescued six survivors from schooner HORNE, which had capsized in a squall.

GETTYSBURG took part in the attack on Fort Fisher 24-25 December 1864. Gettysburg assisted with the devastating bombardment prior to the landings by Army troops, and during the actual landings stood close to shore to furnish cover for the assault. GETTYSBURG’s boats were used to help transport troops to the beaches.

With the failure of the first attack on the formidable Confederate works; plans were laid for a second assault, this time including a landing force of sailors and marines to assault the sea face of the fort. In this attack, 15 January 1865, Gettysburg again engaged the fort in the preliminary bombardment, and furnished a detachment of sailors under Lieutenant Lamson and other officers in a gallant assault, which was stopped under very ramparts of Forth Fisher. Lamson and a group of officers and men were forced to spend the night in a ditch under Confederate guns before they could escape. Through failing to take the sea face of Fort Fisher, the attack by the Navy diverted enough of the defenders to make the Army assault successful and insure victory. Gettysburg suffered two men killed and six wounded in the assault.

GETTYSBURG spent the remaining months of the war on blockade duty off Wilmington, and operated from April to June between Boston and Norfolk carrying freight and passengers. She decommissioned 23 June 1865 at New York Navy Yard.

Recommissioning 3 December 1866, GETTYSBURG made a cruise to the Caribbean Sea, returning to Washington on 18 February, where she decommissioned again 1 March 1867.

GETTYSBURG went back in commission 3 March 1868 at Norfolk and put to sea 28 March on special service in the Caribbean. Until July 1868, she visited various ports in the area, protecting American interests, among them Kingston, Jamaica; Havana, Cuba; and ports of Haiti. Between 3 July and 13 August GETTYSBURG assisted in the laying of a telegraph cable from Key West to Havana, and joined with scientists from the Hydrographic Office in a cruise to determine the longitudes of West Indian points using electric telegraph. From 13 August 1868 to 1 October 1869, she cruised between various Haitian ports and Key West, again helping to maintain peace in the area and protecting American interests. GETTYSBURG arrived New York Navy Yard 8 October 1869, decommissioned the same day, and entered the yard for repairs.

GETTYSBURG was laid up in ordinary until 6 November 1873, when she again commissioned at Washington Navy Yard. She spent several months transporting men and supplies to the various Navy yards on the Atlantic coast and on 25 February 1874 anchored in Pensacola harbour to embark members of the survey team seeking routes for an inter-oceanic canal in Nicaragua. GETTYSBURG transported the engineers to Aspinwall, panama and Greystone, Nicaragua, and returned them to Norfolk 10 May 1874. After several more trips on the Atlantic coast with passengers and supplies, the ship again decommissioned 9 April 1875 at Washington Navy yard.

Recommissioned 21 September 1875, GETTYSBURG departed Washington for Norfolk, where she arrived 14 October. Assigned to assist in another of the important Hydrographic Office expeditions in the Caribbean, she departed Norfolk 7 November. During the next few months she contributed markedly to safe navigation in the West Indies in surveys that led to precise charts. She returned to Washington with the scientific team 14 June, decommissioning 26 June.

GETTYSBURG recommissioned 20 September 1876, for special duty to the Mediterranean, where she was to obtain navigational information about the coast and islands of the area. GETTYSBURG departed Norfolk 17 October for Europe. During the next two years, she visited nearly every port in the Mediterranean, taking soundings and making observations on the southern coast of France, the entire coastline of Italy, and the Adriatic Islands. GETTYSBURG continued to the coast of Turkey, and from there made soundings on the coast of Egypt and other North African points, Sicily and Sardinia.

While visiting Genoa, 22 April 1879, GETTYSBURG rescued the crew of a small vessel which had run upon the rocks outside the breakwater. Her iron plates corroded from years of almost uninterrupted service and her machinery weakened. GETTYSBURG decommissioned 06 May 1879 and she was sold on 8 May 1879. Later that year scrapped at Naples.


Sources: West Coast Steamers by Duckworth and Langmuir. Charleston’s Maritime Heritage 1670-1865 by P.C.Coker III. Log Book Volume 9 page 156.
http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook ... 4/ch03.htm



.
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 5507
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google [Bot] and 76 guests

cron