SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year. Full membership includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

AL MANSUR (B2) patrol craft

Built as a fast patrol craft under yard No 387 by Brooke Marine, Lowestoft, U.K. for the Oman Navy.
Launched as the AL MANSUR (B2) five sisters.
Displacement 135 ton standard, 153 full load, dim. 37.5 x 6.9 x 1.7m. (draught)
Powered by two diesel engines, 4,800 bhp., twin shafts, speed 27 knots.
Armament: Two MM38 Exocet SSM launchers, 2 – 40mm guns, 1 – 76mm gun and 1 – 20mm gun.
Crew 27.
26 March 1973 completed.

1977/78 Modernized by Brooke Marine, Lowestoft.
2015 I can’t find when decommissioned but she is not more in service.

Oman 1980 150b sg 235, scott?
Source: Fast Attack Craft by Bernard Ireland. Internet.

BT GLOBAL CHALLENGE yacht

The 15 fd stamp of Djibouti issued in 2000 shows us a sailing yacht with the inscription “BT Global Challenge”, I could not find a yacht with this name and after finding the web-site http://www.seachallenge.com/index.html which shows the same yacht with the logo on the bow as depict on the stamp, the only photo I could find on the net of the yacht. Not a name is given but she is one of the “Challenge 67 class” of which 14 were built for the BT Global Challenge 1996/7.
One the site is given a volunteer woman crewmember Jan Giffen who got training on the TOSHIBA II ex THOSIBA (1) most probably this yacht is depict. She was built in 1992 and renamed TOSHIBA II in 1996.
The 14 Challenge class yacht have the following details:
All 14 were built by Pendennis Plus (ex Devonport Yachts Ltd.) and designed by David Thomas and Thanos Condylis.
Steel hulled.
Displacement 40 tons, dim. 20.42 x 5.26 x 2.82m. (draught)
Keel weight 12 tons.
Sail area maximum 441 square meter
Fitted out with an auxiliary Perkins diesel, 130 hp.
Accommodation for 14 persons in six cabins.
Wikipedia has the following on this race:
BT Global Challenge 1996/7
An expanded fleet of 14 Challenge 67 yachts set out from Southampton in driving rain and gales. Again rigging problems struck in the Southern Ocean and CONCERT was dismasted. Skipper Chris Tibbs and crew made a jury rig and motorsailed to Wellington, New Zealand. CONCERT was re-rigged in time to start leg 3 from Wellington to Sydney and was 2nd on the Sydney to Cape Town leg. Yacht PAUSE TO REMEMBER, skippered by Tom O'Connor, suffered a snapped boom half way between Sydney and Cape Town. There seemed no choice but to fly their trysail until crewmembers Graham Phelp and Matthew Reeves took on the challenge of trying to repair it by using a cut out section as a splint. Two days later a shortened boom emerged from below decks and was successfully attached to the mast. Three weeks later and having suffered several storms with wind speeds in excess of 50 kn (93 km/h), PAUSE TO REMEMBER sailed into Cape Town, with boom still intact.
This race featured an extra leg to Boston and a crew of disabled men and women took part on TIME & TIDE the first to sail round the world.
Mike Golding dominated, winning five out of six legs in GROUP 4 with Andy Hindley winning the remaining leg in SAVE THE CHILDREN. Three skippers had graduated from being crew volunteers four years earlier: Andy Hindley; Mark Lodge; and Simon Walker, all of whom appeared in the top five placings. Simon Walker went on to become Managing Director of Challenge Business, helping to organise the 2000/1 and 2004/5 Global Challenges.
2015 Could not find what has happened with this class of yachts, but most probably she are still around somewhere.

Djibouti 2000 15 fd sg?, scott?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Global_Ch ... e_1992.2F3

USS LCI(G)-516 landing craft

70th Anniversary of Liberation
As any Islander knows, you can't wander far in Guernsey without coming across its war defences, which act as a stark reminder of the harsh attacks its occupants suffered during World War Two. The first raid, when the island was attacked by air, occurred on June 28, 1940, killing 33 islanders and injuring a further 67.
Thankfully, around 4,000 people - mainly children - had been evacuated in the months before the attack.
The German Occupation began two days later, on June 30, and lasted for almost five years later, when the island was finally liberated on May 9 1945.
This year, which is the 70th anniversary of Liberation, is set to be the biggest celebration in years with a parade including 135 pre-1946 European military vehicles and vintage cars, tractors and motorcycles. Other events including a trilogy of films about the occupation made in Guernsey will be screened at the Town Church.
And Dawn Gallienne, head of philatelic at Guernsey Post, believes it’s really important to commemorate the closure of one of the most difficult periods in the island’s recent history.

On the stamp for postage of a large letter is depict the USS landing craft USS LCI (G)-516.
Built by the New Jersey Shipbuilding Corp., Barber, N.J. for the USA Navy.
09 November 1943 laid down.
08 December 1943 launched as the USS LCI(L)-516
Displacement 246 ton light, 419 ton loaded. Dim. 158.5 x 23.3ft, with a maximum draught when loaded 5.11ft.
Powered by two sets of four GM diesel engines, 1,600 bhp, twin shafts, variable pitch propellers, speed 14 knots.
Endurance by a speed of 12 knots, 4,000 mile.
Armament: 5 – 20mm guns.
Cargo capacity 75 tons, troop capacity 188 men.
Crew 4 officers and 24 enlisted.
11 December 1943 completed. Built in a little more as one month.
During World War II assigned to the Europe-Africa-Middle East Theater.
Took part in the invasion of Normandy from 6 to 25 June 1944.This landing craft were assembled on the south coast of England in various ports.
Took part in the invasion Southern France from 15 August to 18 September 1944.
08 May 1945 took part in the invasion and liberation of Guernsey
15 July 1945 was she reclassified in a Landing Craft Infantry (Gunboat) LCI(G)-516.
1946 Struck from the Naval Register.
26 February 1947 transferred to the US Army.
Fate unknown.

Guernsey 2015 ? sg?, scott?

Source: http://www.navsource.org/archives/10/15/150516.htm Guernsey Post

LARK and BOGOTA

LARK: Can’t find the builder or year when built, the following comes from Log Book volume 14 page 200.
In 1864 the brig LARK ran into a hurricane near the island and became wrecked on the coast. She is said to have been a smuggler and Confederate privateer, and to have had money, in gold and notes, to a value of £35,000 in a heavy chest which her commander, Captain H. Summers, and her First Mate, named HENDERSON, hid ashore. It is said that sometimes afterwards Captain Summers died and that Henderson, apparently then back in the USA managed to find enough money to charter a vessel called the ROVER in which he returned to Tristan da Cunha and dug up the treasure.
What afterwards happened is given in an article in the New Zealand Herald of 11 November 1899.
http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz/cgi-bi ... 11.2.51.16

BOGOTA: Built as an iron ship in Preston, U.K. for Blythe & Co., Liverpool.
Launched as BOGOTA.
Tonnage 383 ton, dim. 135 x 25 x 17.6ft.
Under command of Captain Jones she got on fire on a voyage from Liverpool to? in April 1869 off Tristan da Cunha and was lost.

Tristan da Cunha 1985 60p sg MS389.
Source: Log Book and Lloyds Registry.

OLYMPIA and CZARINA

The OLYMPIA difficult to find some details on her, given in Log Book that she was a German vessel from Hamburg, by looking in American and Lloyds Registers the only German OLYMPIA I could find was built in 1857 at Brake, Germany.
Tonnage 608 ton and dimensions 142.6 x 30.6ft.
Barque rigged, the photo shows a brigantine rigged vessel.
Of her voyages also not much found, in 1859 she made a voyage from Hannover (most probably most of the emigrants were coming from Hannover which is very far inland and the departure port was Hamburg) to Melbourne with emigrants. At that time she was under command of Captain A. Tobias and owned by C.A.H. Tobias & Co., Brake, Germany. Most probably the captain was the owner.
I could not find anything more on the vessel than what is given that she was abandoned near the coast of Tristan da Cunha after springing a leak in 1872, the crew reached Tristan da Cunha in open boats and were taken on board of a passing ship a few days later.

Tristan da Cunha 1985 60p sgMS389. The photo is believed the OLYMPIA.

The CESARENA P or CZARINA another wreck on this MS was an Italian ship of which I have not any info on, she was on a voyage from Leghorn to Bombay when she runs ashore on the west coast of Tristan da Cunha in December1872.

ATKA icebreaker

I got this cover in my possession which carried a 3d stamp of the Ross Dependencies, the stamp attached depict HMS EREBUS. The cover is dated 29 November 1965 and carried by USS ATKA, an interesting icebreaker not only was she sailing under USA flag but also for 5 years under the flag of the Soviet Union. There are a lot of covers for this icebreaker for sale on the net, but most with an American stamp attached.

Built as an icebreaker under yard No 142 by Western Pipe & Steel Company for the USA Navy.
20 July 1942 laid down.
08 March 1943 launched as the USCGC SOUTHWIND (WAG-280).
Displacement 6,515 tons, dim. 82 x 19.4 x 7.85m (draught). Length bpp. 76.2m.
Powered diesel electric by 6 Fairbanks-Morse model 8 1/8OP, 10 Cyl. engines each 2,000 shp, each engine driving a Westinghouse DC electric generator. Two Westinghouse Electric DC electric motors driving the two aft propellers, 1 x 3000 shp Westinghouse DC electric motor driving the detachable and seldom used bow propeller. Speed 13.4 knots. Range 32,485 miles by a speed of 11.6 knots.
When built she carried a armament: 4 – 5 inch twin mounts guns, 6 = 20mm single mounts guns, 2 – depth charge tracks, 6 – “K” guns, 1 Hedgehog, M2 Browning MG’s. and small arms.
Carried 1 Grumman J2F Seaplane or 2 helicopters.
Crew 219.
15 July 1944 commissioned, building cost $9,880,037.00.
The "Wind" Class final design--modelled after the Swedish icebreaker YMER --was prepared by Gibbs & Cox of New York after initial design work by LCDR Edward Thiele, USCG (later the Coast Guard's Engineer-in-Chief) who had obtained details of foreign icebreakers while vacationing in Europe before the war. The Wind- class of icebreakers measured 269 feet in length, 63’6” in beam and displaced 6,500 tons. The Coast Guard contracted for five vessels of the class in November 1941 to fulfil the need to access military bases in Greenland that would be inaccessible during most of the year without the use of heavy icebreakers. Eventually, the Coast Guard operated seven Wind- class icebreakers.
The design of the vessels included a bow propeller used to clear the hull from ice and dredge broken ice forward. The bow propeller was not typically used as a means for propulsion unless the vessel needed to back out of surrounding ice. The vessels also had a diesel electric power-plant, the most compact, economical, and powerful propulsion system available at the time. Additionally, while the diesels provide the power supply, there was a division between these diesels and the motors, which supplied power to the shafts. The rotating electric motors could handle the shocks and extreme power- to- speed ratios necessary for ice operations.
The close spaced frames and careful design of the trusses and planting, along with the thick, welded hull plating made the hulls of the Wind- class unprecedented in strength and structural integrity. The hull also had compressed cork insulation, strengthened steering apparatus, and a padded notch at the stern to nestle the bow of any vessel being towed through ice. Also the design included fore, aft, and side heeling tanks with pumps to aid in water movement within the vessel to rock the ship free from ice build-up. The specifications for construction were so extensive that the Western Pipe and Steel Company of Los Angeles was the only builder to submit a bid. They were originally designed to be equipped with a fixed wing amphibious aircraft.
________________________________________
Cutter History:
USS SOUTWIND CG, was laid down under yard No 142 on 20 July 1942 at San Pedro, California, by the Western Pipe & Steel Company. She was launched on 8 March 1943 and was sponsored by Mrs. Ona Jones. SOUTWIND was commissioned by the Coast Guard on 15 July 1944 under the command of CDR R. M. Hoyle, USCG. She was initially assigned to CINCLANT and was home-ported in Boston, Massachusetts. After a brief period of service along the coast of Greenland where she assisted her sister-ship EASTWIND in capturing German weather teams, including the German supply trawler EXTERNSTEINE, the icebreaker was transferred to the Soviet Union under the terms of lend-lease on 25 March 1945 at Tacoma, Washington. On that date, the SOUTHWIND’s commanding officer, CAPT Richard M. Hoyle, USCG, turned over control of the vessel over to CDR A. M. Khokhlov, USSRN, who was the designated Soviet representative. Renamed ADMIRAL MAKAROV (a famous Russian mariner and naval architect who is recognized as the father of the modern icebreaker) by the Soviets, she came under command of Captain Mikhail Markov Gavrilovic with a crew of 254, the ship operated in the Russian merchant marine, managed by Far Eastern Shipping Company for four-and-one-half years before the Soviet Union returned her to the United States at Yokosuka, Japan, on 28 December 1949.
The vessel was repaired at Yokosuka and, on 28 April 1950, renamed USS ATKA (AGB-3). She was commissioned at Yokosuka by the United States Navy on 1 October 1950 and got underway four days later for the New England coast. Upon her arrival at Boston, ATKA entered the naval shipyard there for a thorough overhaul and modernization. The work was completed late in May 1951, and ATKA began operations from Boston in July.
Throughout her career in the U.S. Navy, the icebreaker followed a routine established by the changing seasons. In the late spring, she would set sail for either the northern or southern Polar Regions to resupply American and Canadian air bases and weather and radar stations. In early fall, she would return to Boston for upkeep and repairs. In the winter, the ship would sail various routes in the North Atlantic to gather weather data before returning to Boston in early spring for repairs and preparation for her annual polar expedition. The ship often carried civilian scientists who plotted data on ocean currents and ocean water characteristics. They also assembled hydrographic data on the poorly charted Polar Regions. ATKA was also involved in numerous tests of cold weather equipment and survival techniques.
She was placed out of commission on 31 October 1966 and transferred back to the Coast Guard, where she was redesignated WAGB-280. Her name was struck from the Navy list on 1 November 1966. During her years as the ATKA, she made a total of 19 trips into Arctic waters and nine extensive voyages to Antarctica.
USCGC ATKA was commissioned in the Coast Guard at Boston on 31 October 1966. She then departed Boston for her new home port of Baltimore, Maryland. On behalf of her crew, and at their unanimous request, the cutter's new commanding officer, CAPT Sumner R. Dolber asked the Commandant if they could rename the ship SOUTHWIND. The request was granted early in 1967. In the Northern Hemisphere summer of 1967, SOUTHWIND participated in Arctic East 1967 during which she served as an escort and supply vessel along both coasts of Greenland. On 30 July she helped locate and repair submarine cables 600 miles above the Arctic Circle.
She departed Baltimore on 16 November 1967 for a five-and-a-half month deployment in support of Operation Deep Freeze 1968. For this trip she carried quite a few Navy personnel. She embarked 33 personnel of CBU-201 (Navy Construction Battalion--Seabees) at Punta Arenas, Chile. Already aboard were two Navy HC-4 helicopters and their crews which embarked the icebreaker at Norfolk, Virginia. The Seabee personnel were transported to Anvers Island where they were scheduled to construct a scientific station that was to be named Palmer Station II. The new station was completed and dedicated on 20 March 1968. While heading home the following day, as she departed Arthur Harbor, she impaled her hull on an uncharted granite "spike" which breeched her hull and caused flooding. Divers went overboard to check the hull,...
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Endurance (Shackleton)

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Endurance (Shackleton)

Postby shipstamps » Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:26 pm

Endurance.jpg
Click image to view full size
SG45.jpg
SG45
Click image to view full size
ba 75a.jpg
SG75
Click image to view full size
FID G34.jpg
SG G34
Click image to view full size
SG36.jpg
SG36
Click image to view full size
SG32.jpg
SG32
Click image to view full size
Endurance.jpg
Click image to view full size
SG1375.jpg
SG1375
Click image to view full size
The Endurance, of the British Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition of 1914-16, was built in 1912 by Framnes Mek. Verks, at Sandefjord, and engined by Akers of Christiania. Her gross tonnage was 348 on dimensions 140ft. x 26.4ft. x 14.1ft., and she was the typical Norwegian whaler type of vessel, barquentine-rigged and launched 1912, as Polaris, a 3-masted barquentine with auxiliary steam for polar tourism and polar bear hunting!
Purchased by Shackleton and renamed Endurance. She was ready to sail under the direction of Sir Ernest Shackleton, C.V.O., on August 1, 1914. When the Naval mobilisation order was published on August 3, Shackleton, with the consent of the crew, offered the services of the ship and her crew to the Government. However, the Admiralty did not think the war would last longer than six months and Sir Ernest was told to go ahead with his Antarctic plans.
The Endurance carried a crew of 27 men in addition to the scientific staff. She sailed after Shackleton had been received by the King and assured of his Majesty's approval of the expedition. On this expedition a new coastline was discovered which Sir Ernest named Caird Coast in honour of Sir James Caird, who had subscribed £24,000 towards the cost of the expedition. Like the Deutschland, the Endurance was caught in pack ice, but the conditions were more severe than those experienced by the German ship. The British vessel was trapped on January 19, 1915, and crushed on October 27, 1915, finally sinking beneath the ice 25 days later.
The crew took to the ice, which drifted across the Weddell Sea. When it was obvious the pack ice was breaking up, they took to the ship's boats which had been saved when the Endurance went down and on April 16, reached Elephant Island.
What followed is an epic of the Antarctic—how Sir Ernest Shackleton left 22 men on Elephant Island, while he chose five men to accompany him in an open boat (the James Caird) to cross 800 miles of Antarctic seas to bring food and relief to the shipwrecked crew. Having successfully accomplished the almost impossible in a voyage of a fortnight, a mountain range of three ridges had to be crossed, one 5,000ft. high and covered in ice with dangerous precipices, before civilisation could be reached. It took them 36hrs. to overcome this obstacle. Eventually, Sir Ernest was able to effect the rescue of the Endurance's crew on Elephant Island, but it was not until several attempts had been made by the whaler, Southern Sky, the Uruguayan Government trawler Institute de Pesca, the British schooner Emma, and the Chilean Navy tender Yelcho, all led by Shackleton, that a way through the ice was found and the crew were picked up 41/2 months after their leader had left them. During the whole of that time Shackleton had thought of nothing but their relief.

Detail from BAT philatelic
Sir Ernest Henry Shackleton 1874-1922

Expeditions: British National Antarctic Expedition 1901-04 in Discovery. British Antarctic Expedition 1907-09 in Nimrod. Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition 1914-17 in Endurance. Shackleton-Rowett Antarctic Expedition 1921-22 in Quest. Discoveries: Beardmore Glacier, South Magnetic Pole, Caird Coast.
Voyage: British Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition 1914-17.

Aus Ant SG45, Brit Ant SG75,249 Chile 1375 Fal Is Dep SG G34 Ross Dep SG36 South Georgia SG32.
shipstamps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: Endurance (Shackleton)

Postby aukepalmhof » Sun Mar 01, 2015 3:56 am

2015 South Georgia.JPG
Click image to view full size
Built under yard 87 by Framnæs Mek. Verks., Sandefjord, Norway for a company formed by Lars Christensen from Norway and Adrien de Gerlach from Belgian.
17 December 1912 launched as the POLARIS.
Tonnage 348 gross, dim. 42.67 x 8.04 x 4.28m.
One auxiliary coal fired triple expansion steam engine, 350 hp, one shaft, speed 10.2 knots.
Rigged as a three-masted barkentine.
24 August 1913 completed.

She was designed for the new formed company as a polar safari ship with paying guests, but when delivered the new formed company could not made the last payment, and the POLARIS was laid up waiting for a new buyer.
When Shackleton also short by cash was looking for a polar expedition vessel, and he did not have to pay for the POLARIS straight away but after some time, bought her for 225.000NKroner.
She was renamed in ENDURANCE.
The ENDURANCE was the three-masted barquentine in which Sir Ernest Shackleton sailed for the Antarctic on the 1914 Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition. She was launched in 1912 from Sandefjord in Norway and was crushed by ice, causing her to sink, three years later in the Weddell Sea off Antarctica.
Designed by Ole Aanderud Larsen, the ENDURANCE was built at the Framnæs shipyard in Sandefjord, Norway and fully completed 24 August 1913. She was built under the supervision of master wood shipbuilder Christian Jacobsen, who was renowned for insisting that all men employed under him not just be skilled shipwrights, but also be experienced in seafaring aboard whaling or sealing ships. Every detail of her construction had been scrupulously planned to ensure maximum durability, for example every joint and every fitting cross-braced each other for maximum strength
She was launched on December 17, 1912 and was initially christened the POLARIS (eponymous with Polaris, the North Star). She was 144 feet (44 m) long, with a 25 feet (7.6 m) beam and weighed 350 short tons (320 t). Though her black hull looked from the outside like that of any other vessel of a comparable size, it was not. She was designed for polar conditions with a very sturdy construction. Her keel members were four pieces of solid oak, one above the other, adding up to a thickness of 85 inches (2,200 mm), while her sides were between 30 inches (760 mm) and 18 inches (460 mm) thick, with twice as many frames as normal and the frames being of double thickness. She was built of planks of oak and Norwegian fir up to 30 inches (760 mm) thick, sheathed in greenheart, a notably strong and heavy wood. Her bow, where she would meet the ice head-on, had been given special attention. Each timber had been made from a single oak tree chosen for its shape so that is natural shape followed the curve of her design. When put together, these pieces had a thickness of 52 inches (1,300 mm).
Of her three masts, the forward one was square-rigged while the after two carried fore and aft sails, like a schooner. As well as sails, ENDURANCE had a 350 horsepower (260 kW) coal-fired steam engine capable of driving her at speeds up to 10.2 knots (18.9 km/h; 11.7 mph).
By the time she was launched on December 17, 1912, POLARIS was perhaps the strongest wooden ship ever built, with the possible exception of the FRAM, the vessel used by Fridtjof Nansen and later by Roald Amundsen. However, there was one major difference between the ships. The FRAM was bowl-bottomed, which meant that if the ice closed in against her she would be squeezed up and out and not be subject to the pressure of the ice compressing around her. But since the POLARIS was designed to operate in relatively loose pack ice she was not constructed so as to rise out of pressure to any great extent.
She was built for Adrien de Gerlache and Lars Christensen. They intended to use her for polar cruises for tourists to hunt polar bears. Financial problems leading to de Gerlache pulling out of their partnership meant that Christensen was happy to sell the boat to Ernest Shackleton for GB£11,600 (approx US$67,000), less than cost. He is reported to have said he was happy to take the loss in order to further the plans of an explorer of Shackleton's stature 'After Shackleton's purchasing her, she was rechristened ENDURANCE after the Shackleton family motto "Fortitudine vincimus" (By endurance we conquer).
Shackleton sailed with ENDURANCE from Plymouth, England on August 6, 1914 and set course for Buenos Aires, Argentina. This was ENDURANCE's first major cruising since her completion and amounted to a shakedown cruise. The trip across the Atlantic took more than two months. Built for the ice, her hull was considered by many of its crew too rounded for the open ocean.
On October 26, 1914 ENDURANCE sailed from Buenos Aires to her last port of call, the Grytviken whaling station on the island of South Georgia off the southern tip of South America, where she arrived on November 5. She departed from Grytviken for her final voyage on December 5, 1914 towards the southern regions of the Weddell Sea.
Two days after leaving from South Georgia, ENDURANCE encountered polar pack ice and progress slowed down. For weeks Endurance twisted and squirmed her way through the pack. She kept moving but averaged less than 30 miles (48 km) per day. By January 15, Endurance was within 200 miles (320 km) of its destination, Vahsel Bay. However by the following day heavy pack ice was sighted in the morning and in the afternoon a blowing gale developed. Under these conditions it was soon evident progress could not be made, and ENDURANCE took shelter under the lee of a large grounded berg. During the next two days ENDURANCE dogged back and forth under the sheltering protection of the berg.
On January 18 the gale began to moderate and thus ENDURANCE, one day short of her destination, set the topsail with the engine at slow. The pack had blown away. Progress was made slowly until hours later ENDURANCE encountered the pack once more. It was decided to move forward and work through the pack, and at 5pm ENDURANCE entered it. However it was noticed that this ice was different from what had been encountered before. The ship was soon engulfed by thick but soft ice floes. The ship floated in a soupy sea of mushy brash ice. The ship was beset. The gale now increased its intensity and kept blowing for another six days from a northerly direction towards land. By January 24, the wind had completely compressed the ice in the whole Weddell Sea against the land. The ice had packed snugly around ENDURANCE. All that could be done was to wait for a southerly gale that would start pushing, decompressing and opening the ice in the other direction. Instead the days passed and the pack remained unchanged.
ENDURANCE drifted for months while remaining beset in the ice in the Weddell Sea and drifted with it. The ice kept compressing it until ENDURANCE could not endure the pressure and was crushed on October 27, 1915. On the morning of November 21, 1915, the ENDURANCE bow began to sink under the ice. Like RMS TITANIC, the Endurance went vertical, her stern rising into the air, then disappearing beneath the ice. The ENDURANCE is considered the last ship of her kind.
It is said that Shackleton placed advertisements in London newspapers that read:
"MEN WANTED: For hazardous journey. Small wages, bitter cold, long months of complete darkness, constant danger, safe return doubtful. Honour and recognition in case of success. Sir Ernest Shackleton."
The crew of the Endurance in its final voyage was made up of the 28 men Blackborrow was originally refused a post aboard the vessel due to his young age and inexperience and decided to stow away, helped to sneak aboard by William Blakewell, a friend of his, and Walter How. By the time he was found, the expedition was far enough out that Shackleton had no choice but to make him a steward. Blackborrow eventually proved his worth, earning the Bronze Polar Medal, and the honour of becoming the first human being ever to set foot on Elephant Island. His name is also the matter of some debate—it is sometimes spelled Percy, or Blackboro, or in other ways.
Alfred Lansing wrote a book titled Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage about the ordeal that Shackleton and his men endured aboard the ship. It became a bestseller when first published in 1959. Subsequent reprints have made it a recurrent bestseller; the last time being in the late 1990s.
Two Antarctic patrol ships of the British Royal Navy have been named ENDURANCE in honour of Shackleton's ship. The first HMS ENDURANCE (originally named ANITA DAN) was launched in May 1956 and awarded Pennant number A171 sometime later. She acted as an ice patrol and hydrographic survey ship until 1986. Today's modern HMS ENDURANCE, nicknamed The Red Plum, is a class 1A1 ice-breaker bought from Norway in 1992 where she had been known as MV POLAR CIRCLE. She is based at Portsmouth but makes annual forays to Antarctica where she can penetrate through 0.9 metres (2 ft 11 in) of ice at a speed of 3 knots (5.6 km/h; 3.5 mph). She has a complement of 126 marine personnel and carries two Westland Lynx helicopters.
In 1998 wreckage found at Stinker Point on the south western side of Elephant Island was incorrectly identified as flotsam from the ship. It in fact belonged to the 1877 wreck of the Connecticut sealing ship CHARLES SHEARER In 2001 wreck hunter David Mearns unsuccessfully planned an expedition to find the wreck of the Endurance By 2003 two rival groups were making plans for an expedition to find the wreck, however no expedition was actually mounted. In 2010 Mearns announced a new plan to search for the wreck. The plan is sponsored by the National Geographic Society but is subject to finding sponsorship for the balance of the U.S. $10 million estimated cost.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Endurance_(1912_ship)"

The 10p stamp features Ernest Shackleton and his Imperial Transantarctic Expedition ship ENDURANCE. The Weddell Sea party of the expedition visited South Georgia in November 1914 to take on coal and other stores and refit the ship before sailing for Antarctica. While in Buenos Aires, Shackleton was warned that it might be a bad year for ice in the Weddell Sea so he delayed his departure from South Georgia for a month. This gave time for scientific work to be carried out. Unfortunately most of the records and specimens were lost when ENDURANCE was crushed by the ice and sank. Shackleton is buried in the cemetery at Grytviken.

Source: South Georgia Post.

South Georgia & Sandwich Islands 2015 10p sg?, scott?
aukepalmhof
 
Posts: 4181
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 8 guests

Sponsored Links