Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year.
Other benefits include the availability of a "Packet" for anyone who wants to purchase or sell ship stamps.
Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

Tristan da Cunha.The first landing.

Though far west of the Cape of Good Hope, the islands were on the preferred route from Europe to the Indian Ocean in the 17th century; ships first crossed the Atlantic to Brazil on the Northeasterly Trades, followed the Brazil Current south to pass the Doldrums, and then picked up the Westerlies to cross the Atlantic again, where they could encounter Tristan da Cunha. The Dutch East India Company required their ships to follow this route, and on 17 February 1643 the crew of the Heemstede, captained by Claes Gerritszoon Bierenbroodspot, made the first confirmed landing. The Heemstede replenished their supplies with fresh water, fish, seals and penguins and left a wooden tablet with the inscription "Today, 17 February 1643, from the Dutch fluyt Heemstede, Claes Gerritsz Bierenbroodspot from Hoorn and Jan Coertsen van den Broec landed here".(See the stamp). There after, the Dutch East India Company returned to the area four more times to explore whether the islands could function as a supply base for their ships. The first stop was in 5 September 1646 on a voyage to Batavia, Dutch East Indies, and the second was an expedition by the galliot Nachtglas (Nightglass), which left from Cape Town on 22 November 1655. The crew of the Nachtglas noticed the tablet left by the Heemstede on 10 January 1656 near a watering place. They left a wooden tablet themselves as well, like they also did on Nachtglas Eijland (now Inaccessible Island). The Nachtglas, commanded by Jan Jacobszoon van Amsterdam, examined Tristan da Cunha and Gough Island and made rough charts for the Dutch East India Company. Dutch sailors also stayed on the island for four weeks in 1658, and made their last stop in April 1669, when their idea of utilizing the islands as a supply base was abandoned, probably due to the absence of a safe harbour.
In the 17th century ships were also sent from Saint Helena by the English East India Company to Tristan to report on a proposed settlement there, but that project also came to nothing.
Tristan da Cunha 1983;4p;SG351.

Tristan da Cunha.The first survey.

The uninhabited islands of Tristan da Cunha were first sighted in May 1506 during a voyage to India by the Portuguese admiral Tristão da Cunha, although rough seas prevented a landing. He named the main island after himself, Ilha de Tristão da Cunha, which was later anglicised to Tristan da Cunha Island.[2] His discovery appeared on nautical maps from 1509 and on Mercator's world map of 1541. Some sources state that the Portuguese made the first landing on Tristan in 1520, when the Lás Rafael captained by Ruy Vaz Pereira called for water. The first survey of the archipelago was made by the French corvette “HEURE du BERGER” in 1767. Soundings were taken and a rough survey of the coastline was made. The presence of water at the large waterfall of Big Watron and in a lake on the north coast were noted, and the results of the survey were published by a Royal Navy hydrographer in 1781. The first scientific exploration was conducted by French naturalist Louis-Marie Aubert du Petit-Thouars, who stayed on the island for three days in January 1793, during a French mercantile expedition from Brest, France to Mauritius. Aubert made botanical collections and reported traces of human habitation, including fireplacesand overgrown gardens, probably left by Dutch explorers in the 17th century.
Tristan da Cunha 2006;30p;SG?


The 6-cent Arkansas River Navigation commemorative stamp was issued October 1, 1968, at Little Rock, Arkansas.
This stamp was in recognition of the economic potential of the $1.2 billion project, which was nearing completion. It eventually provided Arkansas, Kansas, and Oklahoma with a barge route to the Mississippi River and became one of the nation's major inland waterways.
The maritime theme on the stamp is a steering wheel with in the background a pusher tug with barges on the Arkansa River.
The pusher tug is not identified and the term barge has applied to numerous types of vessel around the world, but mostly the barges used on American Rivers are square flat bottomed barges. The following web-site has more on the American barges:

Why is a towboat called a towboat when it pushes the barges?
The word “tow” comes from the canal age when a draft animal walking along the bank of the canal pulled a barge. As rivermen gained experience with moving barges, they found that, by lashing barges together and pushing them, they could control the barges better and move more of them. The control was especially helpful when navigating the smaller rivers and tight bends in a river.

What is the size of a barge?
The standard barge is 195 feet long, 35 feet wide, and can be used to a 9-foot draft. Its capacity is 1500 tons. Some of the newer barges today are 290 feet by 50 feet, double the capacity of earlier barges.

What is the size of a towboat?
Towboats range in physical size from about 117 feet long by 30 feet wide to more than 200 feet long and 45 feet wide. They draft anywhere from 6.5 feet to 9.0 feet. The boat’s diesel engine can produce power from a few hundred horsepower to 10,000 horsepower. A few are in excess of that, but not many. The larger boats operated on the Lower Mississippi where the water is freeflowing and wide.
How many barges and towboats are there?
There are approximately 26,000 dry cargo barges, 3,000 tanker barges, and 1,200 towboats operating today.

How many barges are there in a tow?
The average tow has 15 barges, but flotillas can go up to 40 barges, depending on the type of cargo, the river segments being navigated, and the size of the towboat. Smaller tributaries, such as the Alabama River, can support only a four-barge tow because of the meandering nature of the river and varying width of the river itself. In addition, the Alabama’s locks are only 84 feet wide and 600 feet long.

U.S.A. 1968 6c sg 1343, scott 1325.

S-Class, INS TANIN (S-71) or INS RAHAV (S-73)

S-Class (Fourth Group)
Israel's first submarines were ex-Royal Navy S-Class submarines which entered service in 1958. The Israeli navy operated two boats, S-71 INS TANIN (ex-HMS SPRINGER) and S-73 INS RAHAV (ex-HMS SANGUINE) until the late 1960s. Built in the final days of WW2, they had undergone a modest modernization after the war involving the fitting of a folding snort mast to allow charging of the batteries whilst the boat was submerged, and better sonar. All the same these boats were essentially WW2 era types largely obsolete even before they entered Israeli service.

Built by Cammell Laird & Co. Ltd. Birkenhead, laid down:8 May 1944, launched:14 May 1945, commissioned:2 August 1945. Displacement: 814-872 tons surfaced, 990 tons submerged. Length:217’ (66.14 m.)
Beam:23’ 6” (7.16 m.) Draught:11’ (3.35m.) diesel/electric 1900/1300 hp. 14.75 kn. surfaced, 8 knots submerged
Complement:48 officers and men.
Armament:6 × forward 21” (533 mm.) torpedo tubes, one aft, 13 torpedoes, 1-3”(76mm.) gun, 1-20 mm. canon., 3-.303 calibre machine guns.
Sold to Israeli Navy on 9 October 1958, renamed TANIN, fate: scrapped in 1972.

Same details as HMS SPRINGER, built by Cammell Laird & Co. Ltd. Birkenhead, laid down:10 January 1944, launched:15 February 1945, commissioned:13 May 1945, sold to Israeli Navy in March 1958, renamed RAHAV, fate: cannibalised for spares for TANIN in 1968, broken up at Haifa in 1969.

(Israel 2017, 2.50 sh. StG.?)


This stamp issued by St Pierre et Miquelon, shows a portrait of the French physician and bacteriologist Albert Calmette.
In the background is a two masted topsail schooner, which is not identified. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12482&p=18296&hilit=topsail+schooner#p18296 within the foreground are many doris viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11927&p=12785&hilit=dories#p12785
Albert Calmette (1863 – 1933)
1888-1890 Calmette was assigned to Saint-Pierre-et-Miquelon where he conducted research on the red cod.

St Pierre et Miquelon 1963 30f. sg426, scott 366.

COXLESS SCULL Biglin brothers

This stamp is designed after a painting made by Thomas Eakins and shows the Biglin Brothers ... ver_-_1872
The painting was made in 1872 and is now in the National Gallery of Art in Washington and shows the Biglin Brothers in a coxless scull of which Wikipedia gives:

A coxless pair is a rowing boat used in the sport of competitive rowing. It is designed for two rowers, who propel the boat with sweep oars.
The crew consists of a pair of rowers, each having one oar, one on the stroke side (rower's right hand side) and one on the bow side (rower's lefthand side). As the name suggests, there is no coxswain on such a boat, and the two rowers must co-ordinate steering and the proper timing of oar strokes between themselves or by means of a steering installation which is operated by foot from one of the rowers. The equivalent boat when it is steered by a cox is referred to as a "coxed pair".
Racing boats (often called "shells") are long, narrow, and broadly semi-circular in cross-section in order to reduce drag to a minimum. Originally made from wood, shells are now almost always made from a composite material (usually carbon-fibre reinforced plastic) for strength and weight advantages. Pairs have a fin towards the rear, to help prevent roll and yaw. The riggers are staggered alternately along the boat so that the forces apply asymmetrically to each side of the boat.
A coxless pair is often considered the most difficult boat to row, as each rower must balance his/her side in cooperation with the other, apply equal power, place their catch and extract the blade simultaneously in order to move the boat efficiently. It requires excellent technique, communication and experience.
"Coxless pair" is one of the classes recognized by the International Rowing Federation and is competed in the Olympic Games
USA 1967 5c sg ?, scott1335.

Queen Mary (1936)

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Queen Mary (1936)

Postby shipstamps » Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:13 pm

Click image to view full size
Click image to view full size
Click image to view full size
Click image to view full size
Queen Mary.jpg
Click image to view full size
queen mary 1.jpg
Click image to view full size
Click image to view full size
Queen Mary (Small).jpg
Click image to view full size
Click image to view full size
SG1572ms (Small).jpg
Click image to view full size
SG2703ms (Small).jpg
Click image to view full size
Click image to view full size
queen mary 1(2).jpg
Click image to view full size
Builder: John Brown 8 Co Ltd, Clydebank, Glasgow, Scotland.
Completed: May 1936. (She was laid down on December 27, 1930. Work was suspended from December 1931 until April 1934 due to the de­pression and she was not completed until May 1936.)
Gross tonnage: 81237.
Dimensions: 1020ft x 119ft. Depth 74ft. Engines: Sixteen steam turbines single-reduction geared.
Screws: Quadruple.
Watertight bulkheads: Eighteen.
Decks: Ten.
Normal speed: 30 knots. (Attained a speed of 32.84 knots on her trials.)
Officers and crew: 1285.
Passenger accommodation: 711 first, 707 cabin and 577 tourist class.
Maiden voyage: Southampton-Cherbourg­-New York on May 27, 1936.
On her sixth voyage out the Queen Mary won the Blue Riband from the French Line's Normandie by making the run from Bishop Rock to Ambrose Lighthouse in 4 days, 27 minutes at a speed of 30.14 knots. She soon lost the title back to the Normandie the following year, but recovered it in 1938 with an outward crossing of 3 days, 21 hours and 48 minutes at a speed of 30.99 knots. Com­missioned as a transport on March 1, 1940, while at New York after being laid up since the outbreak of war. Fitted out at Sydney, Australia, and made her first voyage from there on May 5, 1940. On October 2, 1942, the anti-aircraft cruiser Curacao attempted to clear the bow of the Queen Mary while in convoy, but failed and the Queen severed her stern like a knife cutting through butter and killing 338 of the men on board while just north of Bloody Foreland, Ireland. On September 29, 1946, the Queen Mary arrived at Southampton from Halifax on her last trooping voyage and a few days later was sent to John Brown's for reconversion to a passenger ship. Almost a year later she com­menced her first post-war sailing from Southampton to Cherbourg and New York on July 31, 1947. The Queen Mary was engaged in the Southampton —Cherbourg--New York service with a call at Ply­mouth eastbound. Some of the Queen's out­standing features are her promenade deck which is 750ft long ; a rudder weighing some 140 tons and her anchors each of 16 tons with 165 fathoms of chain cable. Her after funnel is 78ft above the boat deck. In 1958 she was fitted with motion stabilisers. Operating at a loss of about S2 million a year in the latter part of her life, the Cunard Line decided to sell her to the highest bidder in May 1967 rather than send her to the scrapyards. On August 18, 1967, the transaction was enacted with the City of Long Beach, California, for a con­sideration of $3450000. Arriving at Southampton on September 27,1967, completing her thousandth and last voyage for the Cunard Line. Refitted over a period of four years when she opened for business as a maritime museum and hotel and convention centre on May 10, 1971. The Queen Mary is now enjoying a long rest after her many years of service. 

 Hungary SG1029, Ivory coast SG818, Tristan da Cunha SG260, Grenada Grenadines SG2208 Gambia SG2914 Maldives SG2703ms St Vincent SGms1229 ms1572 Tonga ms1063
Site Admin
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: Queen Mary (1936)

Postby aukepalmhof » Wed Jun 05, 2013 4:00 am

Click image to view full size
2013.02.25 CAR.,.jpg
Click image to view full size
1973 QUEEN MARY.jpg
Click image to view full size
Central African Republic 2013 750fr. and 2650F
Ajman 1973 1R sg?, scott?
Posts: 5308
Joined: Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:28 am

Re: Queen Mary (1936)

Postby Arturo » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:50 pm

Q M.jpg
Click image to view full size
1.jpg (6.88 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
Click image to view full size
2.jpg (5.74 KiB) Viewed 1620 times
Click image to view full size
Queen Mary

Paraguay, 1986, S.G.?, Scott; 2178d.
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Queen Mary (1936)

Postby Arturo » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:08 pm

Queen Mary.jpg
Click image to view full size
Queen Mary (1936)

Maldive Islands 1997, S.G.?, Scott: 2230.
Posts: 723
Joined: Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:11 pm

Re: Queen Mary (1936)

Postby D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen » Sun May 21, 2017 2:43 pm

Queen Mary dhu.0001.jpg
Click image to view full size
Dhufar 1977 15 b. StG.?
D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen
Posts: 719
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests