Jalausha

The full index of our ship stamp archive
shipstamps

Jalausha

Post by shipstamps » Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:03 pm

On April 5 1965, India released a 15 naye Paisa stamp commemorating National Maritime Day. This is the first time India has issued a special stamp for this occasion and I anticipate it is to be a national annual issue. The design depicts the steamship Jalausha, with Visakhpatnam in the background. I think there is a special significance in this design for it is an "All-Indian" occasion. The Jalausha is not the oldest ship in her owners' fleet, neither has she any noteworthy merits or special features. India has certainly much larger and more modern vessels, and I assume that some of these will appear on future stamp issues for India's National Maritime Day.
The reason, I believe, that the Jalausha appears on this first issue is that she was the first vessel to be built in India for the Scindia Steam Navigation Co., Ltd., of Bombay, India's largest shipping company. The Jalausha was built in the Scindia Company's yard at Visakhapatnam in October 1948, and the stamp design shows the steamer leaving the port in ballast and dressed overall. My guess is that she is on her way for trials or for taking over. Certainly it is a most appropriate design for the stamp occasion.
The Jalausha has a gross tonnage of 5,102 tons, her net tonnage is 3,015, with a deadweight of 8,050 tons, She has an overall length of 415 ft. 8 in., a breadth of 52 ft., and depth of 27 ft. 9 in., with a draft of 24 ft. 10 in. Her cargo capacity is 421,822 cu. ft. of grain, 389,297 cu. ft. bale. The vessel's engines were built by J. G Kincaid, of Greenock, who also supplied the engines for the other six similar ships of the Jalausha type, built between 1949 and 1952 by the Scindia S. N. Co., Ltd., and the Hindustan Shipyard, Ltd., at Visakhapatnam. These vessels have a speed of 11 knots.- India SG 498 (Info E Argyle SB 8/65)

aukepalmhof

Re: Jalausha

Post by aukepalmhof » Mon May 18, 2015 8:50 pm

Built as a cargo vessel under yard No vc101.
22 June 1946 keel laid down.
14 March 1948 launched as the JALAUSHA, launching ceremony was performed by the late Prime Minister Jawaharial Nehru.
26 October 1948 completed.

May 1966 the JALAUSHA was broken up in Bombay by Indian Metal Traders Ltd.

Source: http://www.miramarshipindex.org.nz