SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year. Full membership of £17 (UK only) includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

CARMEN sloop 1811

On 5 December 2016 Argentina issued a new stamp in honour of the Greek sailors who fought for the Argentine independence, Pedro Samuel Spiro and Nicolas Jorge Colmaniatis, they fought under orders of Admiral Guillermo Brown.
The vessel on the stamp is designed after a watercolour of the sloop CARMEN painted by the Argentine maritime painter Emilio Biggeri (1907-1977).

Information on the sloop CARMEN you can find: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=9586&p=9871&hilit=carmen#p9871

Argentine 2016 $11 sg?, scott?
Source: Argentine Post.

The island, Sint Eustatius. "First Salute"

The name of the island, “Sint Eustatius”, is the Dutch name for Saint Eustace, a legendary Christian martyr.The island was seen by Christopher Columbus in 1493 and claimed by many different nations. From the first settlement, in the 17th century until the early 19th century, St. Eustatius changed hands twenty-two times. In 1636, the chamber of Zeeland of the Dutch West India Company took possession of the island that was then reported to be uninhabited. As of 1678, the islands of St. Eustatius, Sint Maarten and Saba fell under direct command of the Dutch West India Company, with a commander stationed on St. Eustatius to govern all three. At the time, the island was of some importance for cultivation of tobacco and sugar. The island sold arms and ammunition to anyone willing to pay. It was one of the few places from which the young United States could obtain military stores. The good relationship between St. Eustatius and the United States resulted in the noted "First Salute". On November 16, 1776, Captain Isaiah Robinson[9] of the 14-gun American brig Andrew Doria,[10] sailed into the anchorage below St. Eustatius' Fort Oranje. Robinson announced his arrival by firing a thirteen gun salute, one gun for each of the thirteen American colonies in rebellion against Britain. Governor Johannes de Graaff replied with an eleven gun salute from the cannons of Fort Oranje. International protocol required a two gun less acknowledgement of a sovereign flag. The Andrew Doria flew the Continental Colors of the fledgling United States. It was the first international acknowledgment of American independence.[Note 1] The Andrew Doria had arrived to purchase munitions for the American Revolutionary forces. She was also carrying a copy of the Declaration of Independence which was presented to Governor De Graaff. An earlier copy had been captured on the way to Holland by the British. U.S. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt came to St. Eustatius in 1939 to recognize the importance of the 1776 "First Salute". He presented a large brass plaque to St. Eustatius which is displayed today under a flagpole atop the walls of Fort Oranje. The plaque reads:"In commemoration to the salute to the flag of the United States, Fired in this fort November 16. 1776, By order of Johannes de Graaff, Governor of Saint Eustatius, In reply to a National Gun-Salute, Fired by the United States Brig of War Andrew Doria, Under Captain Isaiah Robinson of the Continental Navy, Here the sovereignty of the United States of America was first formally acknowledged to a national vessel by a foreign official. Presented by Franklin Delano Roosevelt, President of the United States of America"
Caribish Nederland 2016;88,0c. Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sint_Eustatius

RIVER ADADA (Nigeria)

Built in 1978-'79 by Brodogradiliste i Tvornica Dizel Motora, Split, #290, for the Nigerian National Shipping Line, Lagos.
General cargo, Gt:13,165/9016, Nt:6699/4322, Dw:16,487/12,000, Loa:174.96m. Lbpp:166.17m. B:22.84m. Depth:13.01m. Draft:-/9.17m. 6 cyl. Sulzer/R.O. Tvornica Dizel Motora '3 Maj', Rijeka diesel:14,400 bhp. (10,592 kW.) 18.25 kn. 2 thrusters controllable pitch propellers forewards, 5 holds, 1 derrick SWL:80 tons, 7 derricks SWL:22 tons. TEU:428, pass:6, IMO.7716672, call sign:5NEC, strengthened for heavy cargoes, ice class 3.
In 1996 sold to Power Shipping S.A., St. Vincent, renamed RIVER, same year to Mediterranean Victory Marine Ltd., Cyprus, renamed AXION I.
08-2004 to Aseanise Ventures Ltd., St. Vincent, renamed LEONIS, 2008 to View Finance Business Corp., Panama, renamed LEONIS I.
27-07-2008 sold for US$8.2 million for scrapping in Chittagong.

Sisterships #291 RIVER OJI, #292 RIVER OLI, #293 RIVER MAJIDUN, # 294 RIVER GURARA, #295 RIVER OSHUN, #296 RIVER OGBESE, #297 RIVER MAJE.

(Gambia 1983, 50b. StG.503)
LR88/89 + Internet

BENMORE 1870

On this postal card is also depict the figurehead of the iron hulled sailing vessel BENMORE, the figurehead is now in the Mariners Museum in Newport, Virginia, the figurehead was repainted in 1920 with USA flag drapery.

Built as an iron hulled three masted sailing vessel under yard No 4 by John Reid & Co., Port Glasgow Glen yard for Benjamin C. Nicholson and McGill, Liverpool.
17 April 1870 launched as the BENMORE.
Tonnage 1,530 grt, 1,460 nrt, dim. 73.8 x 12.0m.
Square rigged, and one of the first ship to be fitted with double topgallant yards.
26 May 1870 registered at Liverpool.

She was mostly used in the general trade by the owners.
In 1872 she went out from Liverpool to Sydney, Australia in 81 days.
A few other voyages:
11 March 1893 left Penarth and arrived Rangoon on 14 June after a passage of 95 days.
18 July 1893 sailed from Rangoon and arrived Liverpool 03 November after a passage of 108 days.
23 December 1893 sailed Liverpool and arrived Vancouver 17 April 1894 after a passage of 107 days.
Her total mileage was 37,240 miles in 10 months 12 days (excluding time sent in port)
Her last voyage for her British owners was, when she sailed New York on 01 January 1898 bound for Sydney and after a passage of 80 days she arrived in Sydney. Then she sailed home and after arrival in October in Liverpool she was sold.
1898 Sold to Chr. Winsnaes, Norway.
1914 Sold to Brown Jenkinson & Co., London.
1914 Sold to the Fenchurch Trading Syndicate Ltd., London.1915 Sold to Minister of Railways & Canals, Canada, Ottawa. Her tonnage then given as 1,497 grt, 1,427 nrt.
1918 Sold to J. A. Farquar, Halifax N.S. and converted in a coal hulk.
Circa 1920 moved to St Thomas, West Indies still used as a coal hulk. Owned by Pendleton Bros. of New York.
1924 Refitted at Norfolk, Virginia and rerigged as a barque; sailed from Norfolk with a cargo of coal bound for Genoa, four days later she put into New York with a leak in her forepeak.
The coal was discharged and the BENMORE foundered in New York on 10 July 1924.

USA Postal card 1974 UX67. (the figurehead on the imprinted stamp is the EDINBURGH.)
Source: http://www.clydeships.co.uk/view.php?of ... el=BENMORE. The last of the Windjammers Volume 1 by Basil Lubbock.

Alonso de Ojeda

Alonso de Ojeda was born between 1466 and 1470 in Cuenca, Spain.He enters the service of the Duke of Medinaceli and receives the protection of the bishop Juan Rodriguez de Fonseca, thanks to which he manages to embark with Christopher Columbus, in his second trip, at the end of the year 1493. On the island of Guadalupe, Christopher Columbus orders him to find Diego Marquez and his men who had ventured on the island and had not returned from their expedition. On the island of Hispaniola (Hispaniola) Christopher Columbus sends Alonso de Ojeda to confront one of the Caribbean chiefs, Caonabo, who reigned over the central area of the island and the mines of Cibao.Ojeda manages to gain the trust of Caonabo and takes him prisoner. It also takes part in the battle of the Vega Real, in front of an impressive army of Indians that Fra Bartolomé de Las Casas has calculated with exaggeration in a hundred thousand. Back in Spain, he attended a policy of change and a whole series of discoveries that began in 1499. In conclusion of this policy, a series of capitulations are signed (past contracts between the discoverers, the conquerors and the king, In which the name Columbus is mentioned).Ojeda is the first to inaugurate what are called "minor trips" or "Andalusian journeys". The first expedition of Alonso de Ojeda, in association with Juan de la Cosa and Américo Vespucio, leaves of the Port of Santa Maria 18 of May of 1499.They follow the route of the third voyage of Columbus: Trinidad, Margarita (Pearl Coast), Curaçao and the peninsula of Coquibacoa or Goajira.The expedition will be back in Cadiz a year later, judged unprofitable. In order to carry out a second expedition in the same zone, Ojeda signs a new capitulation with the king the 8 of June of 1501. He is named Governor of Coquibacoa. In the company of Juan de Vergara and Garcia de Campos they drive four caravels. The expedition goes from Cape Verde to Margarita Island, bordering the coast of Curiana to reach Paraguana.During the voyage, he commits some abuses against the Portuguese and the Indians, to such an extent that he is made to arrest. In 1504 he regained his freedom thanks to the help of Fonseca. In 1508 he was appointed Governor of Uraba. Part of Hispaniola the following year but the expedition is a failure: Juan de la Cosa died in a confrontation with the Indians. After this failure, Alonso de Ojeda returns to Santo Domingo, where he would die in 1515.
Nederlands Antilles(Curacao) 1949;6c;12,5c;15с;SG306;307;308. Caribish Nederland 2016;88,0c.
Source:www.americas-fr.com/es/historia/ojeda.html

EDINBURGH barque 1883 figurehead

This postal card issued by the USA Mail shows us an imprinted stamp of 12c of a ships figurehead from the barque EDINBURG. The figurehead is carved by the Canadian wood carver John Rogerson (1837-1925) and it is believed to have been modelled on the Duchess of Edinburgh, The Russian born daughter of Czar Alexander II and daughter in law of Queen Victoria. The figurehead was sold by Christie’s New York in 2007 for $262,400 to a private European buyer, much more as the worth of the ship when built.

Built as a wooden barque in 1883 by W.Charland at Levis, Quebec for his own account.
Launched as the EDINBURGH.
Tonnage 1,318 ton, dim. 203.3 x 28.6 x 23.9ft.
She was built of oak, hackmatack and elm.

1883 Maiden voyage under command of Captain Thos. Filkins, and registered in Quebec, Canada.
1884 Is given as owner John Herron of Liverpool, and registered in Liverpool.
The ships of J. Herron & Co., Liverpool were mostly used between the U.K. and Australia, so most probably also the EDINBURGH.
1905 Was she sold to Biagio Mortola, Genoa, Italy not renamed.
1905 She foundered off Bermuda and was washed up on the beach of Bermuda. The figurehead was bought by the American consul of Bermuda, and for many years it was standing in the garden of the Consulate until bought by the Addison Gallery.

Source: Log Book 4/51.
USA 1974 postal card UX67.
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

Flying Cloud

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Flying Cloud

Postby shipstamps » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:36 am

flying cloud.jpg
Click image to view full size
SG1727.jpg
SG1727
Click image to view full size
SG1087.jpg
SG1087
Click image to view full size
SG582.jpg
SG582
Click image to view full size
SG1465.jpg
SG1465
Click image to view full size
Flying Cloud.jpg
1965 UC
Click image to view full size
An extreme clipper launched on 15th April 1851, at the shipyard of Donald McKay, East Boston, for Enoch Train, Boston.
Length on keel 208ft. on deck 225ft. and over all, from the knight heads to the taffrail, 235ft. Extreme breadth of beam 41ft. Depth of hold 21%ft. (including 7ft. 8ins. height of between-decks, dead-rise at half floor 20ins. rounding of sides 6 ins. and sheer about 3ft.
If great length, sharpness of ends, with proportionate breadth and depth, conduce to speed, the Flying Cloud must be uncommonly swift, for in all these she is great. (These measurements and remarks were given by Duncan McLean in The Boston Daily Atlas, issue dated April 25, 1851)
Purchased by Grinell, Minturn & Co, New York, for $ 90.000. in April 1851.
On 2nd June the same year she sailed from New York to San Francisco in 89 days 21 hours under command of Captain Josiah Perkins Cressey. On July 31 she made 374 miles in 24 hours. 6th January 1852 she Sailed from Whampoa to New York in 94 days. 1't December Sailed from Whampoa back to New York in 96 days. Sailed from New York on 28th April 1853 to San Francisco in 105 days. Passed the Equator on May 15th in the record time of 17 days from Sandy Hook. The abstract log of this run was published by the Boston Daily Atlas. On 21st January 1854 left New York for San Francisco arriving in 89 days 8 hours. This is the record for the passage.
On 20th July 1854 she sailed from Whampoa to New York in 115 days and on 5th September 1855 left Whampoa for New York arriving in 99 days. Sailed from New York on 13th March 1856 for San Francisco in taking 185 days under command of Captain Reynard. She is reputed to have sailed 402 miles in 24 hours during that trip. She was partially dismasted en route San Francisco on 10th June 1856 and put into Rio de Janeiro for repairs where her spars were cut down before she proceeded. FLYING CLOUD was Laid Up in San Francisco on 14th December 1856. In April 1857 left San Francisco and was Laid Up at New York . Her spars were cut down once more in 1858.
24th May 1861 sailed from London (Deal) to Melbourne in 85 days. She was bought by
Mackay & Co, Liverpool in 1862, for their Queensland service, but instead mortgaged to the Forwood family, Liverpool and sailed for James Baines' "Black Ball Line". In February 1868 She sailed from Gravesend to Brisbane in 106 days, and then from Sydney to Gravesend in 112 days. 30th
30th August 1870 sailed from London to Hervey's Bay in 87 days under command of Captain Owen. After James Baines & Co. had suspended payment, in April 1871 Arthur Forwood took possession of the ship and sold her to Harry Smith Edwards of South Shields.
She went ashore on 19th June 1874 on the Beacon Island bar, St Johns and was condemned and sold.
In June 1857 she was burned for her copper and metal fastenings.
Liberia SG Australia SG1727, Dominica SG1087, Poland SG1465.Falk Is SG582 Micronesia SG306.

SOURCE : www. Bruzelius.info/nautical/ships/Flying_Cloud.html
shipstamps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: Flying Cloud

Postby Anatol » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:37 am

img1563.jpg
Click image to view full size
img1570.jpg
Click image to view full size
img1542.jpg
Click image to view full size
img1113.jpg
Click image to view full size
Flying Cloud 1851г.США.
The first clipper ships are the result of American ingenuity in 1840. The design of these ships was a radical departure from traditional concepts. Traditional bows round the body was replaced with a narrow body - which sliced through the roughest of waters, as the blade. Also, clipper ships were substantial length as long vessels allowed more maximum speed. Elegant Yankee miracles, they were quickly wooden ships of the time. Before the clipper ships, sailors considered themselves lucky to travel 150 miles a day. In 1850, the scissors were an average of 250 miles a day! Ship names such as Flying Clouds, lightning, "Meteor" and Champion of the Seas, often show their pride in the crew this newfound speed. “Flying Cloud” was a clipper ship that set the world's sailing record for the fastest passage between New York and San Francisco, 89 days 8 hours. She held this record for over 100 years, from 1854-1989. “Flying Cloud” was the most famous of the clippers built by Donald McKay . She was known for her extremely close race with Hornet in 1853; for having a woman navigator, Eleanor Creesy, wife of Josiah Perkins Creesy who skippered Flying Cloud on two record-setting voyages from New York to San Francisco; and for sailing in the Australia and timber trades.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_Cloud_(clipper).
Мicronesia1993;29с;SG306. Tanzania1999;400;370;SG? Djibuti2013;500f;SG?
Anatol
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:13 pm

Re: Flying Cloud

Postby Anatol » Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:55 pm

img0663.jpg
Click image to view full size
The design stamp is made after painting of Jack Spurling:Clipper “Flying Cloud”. Wallis and Futuna 2016; 2300f;SG?
Anatol
 
Posts: 424
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2009 2:13 pm

Re: Flying Cloud

Postby john sefton » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:55 pm

Flying Cloud.jpeg
Flying Cloud.jpeg (7.17 KiB) Viewed 25 times
Click image to view full size
Spurling Painting
john sefton
 
Posts: 1690
Joined: Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:59 pm


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Google Adsense [Bot], Google [Bot], Yahoo [Bot] and 56 guests