Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year. Full membership includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.


The ship serves on the ExxonMobil-led PNG LNG Project, Papua New Guinea’s first project to liquefy and export natural gas. On May 25, 2014, the vessel loaded the first LNG cargo at a terminal near the capital city Port Moresby, then departed for the Futtsu Terminal of Tokyo Electric Power Company. The cargo was discharged safely the next month.

The SPIRIT OF HELA will support Papua New Guinea’s move into the LNG export market for many years. The introduction of postage stamps featuring the ship clearly reflects the national importance of this project.
Built as a Liquid Natural Gas (LNG) tanker under yard No 324 by Hyundai Samho Heavy Industries Co. Ltd., Jeollanam-do, South Korea for Nefertiti LNG Shipping Co.Ltd, Tokyo, Japan.
Launched as the BEN BADIS.
Tonnage: 114,277 grt, 34,283 nrt, 87,130 dwt., dim. 298.43 x 46 x 25.8m, length bpp.285m, draught 13 m.
Tank capacity: 177,409 m³.
Powered, diesel electric, manufactured by Converteam Ltd, Rugby, GBR. 29,040 kW (39,456hp), (2) Electrical propulsion 14,520 kW, one shaft, speed 19.5 knots.
Bunker capacity 7.585 m³.
05 November 2010 delivered to owners. Under Bahamas flag and registry.

April 2014 renamed in SPIRIT OF HELA.
2015 Same name, owner and in service, IMO No 9361639, managed by Mitsui Osk Lines Ltd, Tokyo

Papua New Guinea 2014 4 stamps and two souvenir sheets. Sg?, scott?
Source: Internet, Bureau Veritas.

Antão Gonçalves and Dinis Dias

Antão Gonçalves(on stamp to the left) was a 15th-century Portuguese explorer and slave trader who was the first European to buy Africans as slaves from black slave traders. In 1441, Gonçalves was sent by Henry the Navigator to explore the West African coast in an expedition under the command of Nuno Tristão . As Gonçalves was considerably younger than Tristão, his duty was less exploration than it was hunting the Mediterranean monk seals that inhabit West Africa. After he had filled his small vessel with seal skins, Gonçalves, on his own initiative, decided to buy some Africans to return to Portugal. With nine of his crewmen, Gonçalves bought an Azenegue Berber and a black tribesman who had worked as a slave for the Berbers. By this time, Tristão had arrived at the same place, and the two crews joined together for another purchasing trip, on which they bought 10 slaves, one of them an Azenegue chief. After this, Tristão continued exploration southwards while Gonçalves returned to Portugal. He embarked on another expedition in 1442, taking the Azenegue chief he had bought the year before. Gonçalves hoped to barter the chief for a number of the Azenegues' black slaves. He received 10 slaves, some gold dust and, curiously, a large number of ostrich eggs. However, this expedition contributed nothing to the cause of exploration; Gonçalves had not even sailed past the Río de Oro . He was granted a new Coat of Arms for his name. Not to be mistaken with another Antão Gonçalves, who coasted the Island of Madagascar at the beginnings of the 16th century.
DINIS DIAS 1445(Сape Verde):
Dinis Dias (on stamp to the right) was a Portuguese explorer of the 15th century. In 1445, Diaz, belonging to the well-known seaside family started to drive vehicles in his old age, and decided to do research because "he does not want to live in peace prosperity soft" and "wants to see and hear more than others" .He went out of Portugal and sailed along the West African coast, sailed past the mouth r.Senegal, set a new record, reaching a point about 800 km south of Cap Blanc. It is the westernmost part of the African continent, cape issued far out to sea and was overgrown with trees, he called Cap-Vert (Diaz called it Cape Verde, "Verde" by Portuguese "green", a reference to the lush vegetation in the area). Note that Diaz did not find the Cape Verde Islands, and in fact the Cape. He landed on both hills crowning the cape, set wooden crosses. The success of this expedition was possible because Diaz focused on exploration, rather than slaves, who were many Portuguese sailors in Africa, while in the spotlight. One expedition returns to Portugal with dozens of slaves, Diaz also only took four prisoners. Later that year, Dias sailed with the explorer Lançarote de Freitas in a large scale slaving expedition to Arguim . Medal - Portuguese navigator Dinis Dias- Vasco Berardo -1973-74.

Cabo Verde 1952;3,0e;SG352.

João Fernandes and Afonso Baldaia

JOAO FERNANDES (explorer)1445:
João Fernandes(on stamp to the right) was a Portuguese explorer of the 15th century. He was perhaps the earliest of modern explorers in the upland of West Africa , and a pioneer of the European slave - and gold -trade of Guinea .
We first hear of him (before 1445) as a captive of the Barbary Moors in the western Mediterranean ; while among these he acquired a knowledge of Arabic , and probably conceived the design of exploration in the interior of the continent whose coasts the Portuguese were now unveiling.
In 1445 he volunteered to stay in Western Africa and gather what information he could for Prince Henry the Navigator ; with this object he accompanied Antão Gonçalves to the "River of Gold" (Rio d'Ouro, Río de Oro ), in Western Sahara , where he landed and went inland with some native shepherds. As a volunteer he met Prince Chappell and his father Evan Chappell.
He stayed seven months in the country and was then taken off again by Gonçalves at a point farther South the coast, near the "Cape of Ransom" (Cape Mirik or Timiris, current Mauritania ); and his account of his experiences proved of great interest and value, not only as to the natural features, climate, fauna and flora of the south-western Sahara , but also as to the racial affinities, language, script, religion, nomad habits, and trade of its inhabitants. These people maintained a certain trade in slaves, gold, etc., with the Barbary coast (especially with Tunis ), and classed as "Arabs," "Berbers," and "Tawny Moors" did not then write or speak Arabic.
In 1446 and 1447 Fernandes accompanied other expeditions to the Rio d'Ouro and other parts of West Africa in the service of Prince Henry. He was personally known to Gomes Eannes de Azurara , the historian of this early period of Portuguese expansion; and from Azurara's language it is clear that Fernandes' revelation of unknown lands and races was fully appreciated at home.
AFONSO GONSALVES BALDAIA(Navigator) 1435: Afonso Gonçalves Baldaia(on stamp to the left) was the 15th century Portuguese sailors and explorers, who was born in Porto. In 1435 he was captain of one of the two ships that crossed the Tropic of Cancer, it was written that it was done for the first time the Europeans, after the Phoenicians in 813 BC. In 1435g together with Gil Eanis hem was sent with caravel, butler Prince Afonso Baldaya.50lig after Cape Bohador they reached the bay, called Angra de los Ruyvos.Here they saw traces of people and camels.At once could find their place of residence. In 1436g Baldаiа crossed the Tropic of Cancer and moved to the south, suggesting find the river, through which Arab merchants carried the Golden articles.When he reached to narrow bay he called his mistake "Rio de Oro" – “River of Gold”.Now here Sisnoros village Villa. Balde was carrying with him horses, on which made its first foray into the village natives to capture slaves. (More to see: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=14304&sid=e6…).
Cabo Verde 1952;5,0e;SG353. Source:ão_Fernandes. W.Kramer: Neue Horizonte.Leipzig. 1997.

Nuno Tristão 1441(Cape Blanko;River Senegal)

Nuno Tristão was a 15th-century Portuguese explorer and slave trader, active in the early 1440s, traditionally thought to be the first European to reach the region of Guinea (legendarily, as far as Guinea-Bissau , but more recent historians believe he did not go beyond the Gambia River ).
Nuno Tristão was a knight of the household of Henry the Navigator . In 1441, Tristão was dispatched by Henry in one of the first prototypes of the lateen -rigged caravel to explore the West African coast beyond Cape Barbas , the furthest point reached by Henry's last captain five years earlier ( Afonso Gonçalves Baldaia , in 1436). Around Rio de Oro , Tristão met up with the ship of Antão Gonçalves , who had been sent on a separate mission by Henry that same year to hunt monk seals that basked on those shores. But Gonçalves happened to capture a solitary young camel-driver, the first native encountered by the Portuguese since the expeditions began in the 1420s. Nuno Tristão, who carried on board one of Henry's Moorish servants to act as an interpreter , interrogated Gonçalves's captive camel-driver. Tristão and Gonçalves were led by his information to a small Sanhaja Berber fishing camp nearby. The Portuguese attacked the fishermen, taking some ten captives, the first African slaves taken by the Portuguese back to Europe. Gonçalves returned to Portugal immediately after the slave raid, but Nuno Tristão continued south, reaching as far as Cape Blanc ( Cabo Branco ), before turning back.
In 1443, Nuno Tristão was sent out by Henry again, and pressed beyond Cape Blanc to reach the Bay of Arguin . On Arguin island , Tristão encountered a Sanhaja Berber village, the first permanent settlement seen by Henry's captains on the West African coast. Tristão immediately attacked it, taking some fourteen villagers captive and returned to Portugal with his captives. Tristão's report of easy and profitable slave-raiding grounds in the Arguin banks prompted numerous Portuguese merchants and adventurers to apply to Henry for a slave-trading license. Between 1444 and 1446 several dozen Portuguese ships set out for slave raids around Arguin Bay.
As fishing settlements around the Arguin banks were quickly devastated by the Portuguese slave raiders, in 1445 (or possibly 1444), Nuno Tristão was sent by Henry to press further south and look for new slave-raiding grounds. Tristão reached as far south as borderlands of Senegal , where the Sahara desert ends and forest begins, and the coastal population changed from 'tawny' Sanhaja Berbers to 'black' Wolofs . Tristão is believed to have reached as far as the Ponta da Berberia ( Langue de Barbarie ), just short of the entrance to the Senegal River . Bad weather prevented his entering the river or landing there, so he set sail back. On the way home, Tristão stopped by the Arguin banks and took another 21 Berbers captive.
Nuno Tristão arrived in Portugal declaring he had finally discovered sub-Saharan Africa , or in the nomenclature of the time, the "Land of the Blacks" ( Terra dos Guineus , or simply Guinea ). Portuguese slave raiders immediately descended on the Senegalese coast, but finding alert and better-armed natives on that coast, the slave raids were not nearly as easy nor as profitable as they had hoped.

In 1446 (or perhaps 1445 or 1447, date uncertain), Nuno Tristão set out on his fourth (and final) trip down the West African coast. Somewhere south of Cap Vert , Tristão came across the mouth of a large river. Tristão took 22 sailors with him on a launch upriver, to search for a settlement to raid. But the launch was ambushed by thirteen native canoes with some 80 armed men. Quickly surrounded, Nuno Tristão, along with most of his crew, was killed on the spot by poisioned arrows (two might have escaped). [ 2 ] Tristão's caravel, reduced to a crew composed of clerk Aires Tinoco and four grumetes (' ship boys '), immediately set sail back to Portugal.
Nuno Tristão was traditionally credited as the 'discoverer' of Portuguese Guinea (modern Guinea-Bissau), and even said to have been the first European to set foot on the landmass of what is now the modern city of Bissau . If true, then Nuno Tristão's last journey was an enormous leap beyond the previous Portuguese milestone ( Cabo dos Mastos , Cape Naze , Senegal).
However, modern historians, drawing from larger evidence (including the accounts of Diogo Gomes and Cadamosto ), have generally dismissed this claim and now generally agree that Nuno Tristão only reached as far as the Sine-Saloum delta, still in Senegal, just a few miles south of Cape of Masts (Cape Naze) or, at their most generous, the Gambia River . The death of Nuno Tristão, Henry's favorite captain, was the beginning of the end of this wave of Henry's expeditions. Another set of ships would be still go out the next year, but would also take significant casualties, and as a result, Portuguese expeditions were temporarily suspended. Henry the Navigator did not dispatch another expedition to the West African coast again until a decade later ( Cadamosto in 1455).
1987 Portuguese escudo coin depicting Nuno Tristão's journey to the Gambia River ( sic ) in 1446.
Portugal 1991;60,0;SG?


Built in Servola near Trieste, Austria, now Italy for Armelia Obilovich and Captain Seculovich at Trieste, Austria. Around 20 years ago I was in Trieste for provision and we moored on a quay which still was owned by the Austrian Government.
Launched in 1857 as the PIERINO.
Tonnage 392 tonnes, draught 15 ft. Single deck and beams, copper and iron fastenings, two cannons.
Crew 10.
She was launched in 1857, and the year after, she was listed as being copper-sheated.
Her tonnage in 1863 was listed as 389 tonnes.
In 1865, her owners were Nicolo Armelin of Ibraila (who owned eight parts) and Antonio Sarao of Trieste, who owned 16 parts. Her captain at that time was Diodato Dabinovich. In 1868, Armelin was listed as her sole owner and her Captain was Alessandro Dabinovich. Her captain in 1870 was Spridone Doglianizza.
In 1870 was it again Armelin and Sarao, and she was listed as last surveyed in November 1867, at Marseille. Her Captain then was Giovanni Danilovich. In 1880, her tonnage is listed as 224 with a later correction to 324 ton, and the following year tonnage at 296 and her Captain given as Vladimiro Ivellich.
In Annuario Maritime from 1882, under section Ships sold, disarmed, wrecked etc. in 1881, part (p.CXXX), she is listed as wrecked 4 August 1881 at Colorado cliff, Island of Havana.
The stamp is designed after a painting “Brig PIERINO 4 VIII 1881 in storm near Cuba, and a note on the back of the painting, says the owner Nikol Armelin from Budva Captain Vlado Ivelic from Risna, Austria-Hungarian flag on main gaff. Blue-white checkered flag + ‘1’ (or “”) code flag (?) on main mast: Many sails set but all torn. Spanker gaff lowered to let wind out.

Yugoslavia 1998 2.00D sg?, scott2422.
Lloyds Register. Annuario Marittimo 1865-86. 12 Centuries of Boka Marina.

NOA USS (DD-841)

Built as a destroyer under yard No 261 by Bath Iron Works, Bath for the USA Navy.
26 March 1945 keel laid down.
30 July 1945 launched as the USS NOA (DD-841), she was the second ship in the USA Navy under that name, christened by Mrs. James Cary Jones, Jr., wife of Rear Admiral James Cary Jones, Jr., named after Midshipman Loveman Noa (1878-1901)
Displacement 2,425 standard, 3,460 ton full load, dim. 119.02 x 12.45 x 4.37m. (draught)
Powered by General Electric geared turbines, 60,000 shp. Twin shafts, speed 35 knots.
Range by a speed of 20 knots, 4,500 mile.
Armament 6 – 5 inch guns, 12 – 40mm AA and 11 – 20mm AA guns, 10 – 21 inch torpedo tubes. 6 – depth charge projectors and 2 – depth charge tracks.
Crew 336.
02 November 1945 commissioned, under command of R.L. Nolan Jr.
After shakedown at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba NOA departed her homeport of Norfolk, Va. for her first Mediterranean deployment. She called at Gibraltar, Nice, Naples, Malta, Venice, Piraeus and Lisbon. After participating in fleet maneuvers in the South Atlantic in early 1947 NOA returned to the United States. For the next two years she exercised in type training, underwent overhaul and acted as school training ship for the Fleet Sonar School, Key West, Fla.
NOA served as rescue destroyer for Mindoro (CVE-120) during June and July 1949. From September 1949 through January 1951 she engaged in extended anti-submarine training and a permanent Hunter-Killer Group as a unit of Destroyer Squadron Eight. She also made a second Mediterranean deployment during this period. In early 1951 she participated in Convex II, a large scale convoy escort exercise, after which she called at Baltimore, Md. The next two years were devoted to upkeep and operational type training along the East coast.
In August 1953 NOA departed Norfolk on a 42,000 mile around-the-world cruise. She arrived Sasebo, Japan 3 October and spent four months operating in the Sea of Japan with Task Force 77. Here she participated in operational readiness exercises while maintaining truce patrol off the Korean coast.
In November 1953 NOA operated in Japanese waters as part of a Hunter-Killer Group. She patrolled the Korean coast together with USS Cone (DD-866) in late November and early December. From then until her return to the United States in April 1954, NOA engaged in underway training. Upon her return to Norfolk she was reassigned to hunter-killer duty in the Atlantic.
During overhaul in the summer of 1955 NOA was outfitted with experimental sonar equipment that she tested in the Key West area. She departed Norfolk Naval Shipyard in February 1956 for her third Mediterranean deployment. Upon return to homeport the following summer she trained in the eastern Atlantic. In the spring 1957 she steamed to the Caribbean for operation Springboard 1-57 and Desairdex 1-57.
After completion of a three month overhaul at Norfolk Naval Shipyard in August 1957 she steamed for five weeks of refresher training at Guantanamo and for shore bombardment exercises at Culebra Island, Puerto Rico. In winter of 1957-8, NOA served as test ship for experimental radio equipment and in spring 1958 she was again taking part in Springboard exercises in the Caribbean.
March 1957 saw NNOA as a participant in Lantphibex 1-58, an exercise designed to test the latest amphibious warfare concepts. During the summer 1958 NOA participated in Sixth Fleet operations during the Lebanon crisis. After a short tour in the Persian Gulf she returned to Norfolk and joined the Second Fleet for Lantphibex 2-58.
In February 1959 NOA again deployed to the Mediterranean. She participated in Sixth Fleet exercises through April 1 when she steamed for the Middle East via the Suez Canal. She called at Massawa, Ethiopia, Bombay, India; Bahrein, Saudi Arabia; Bandar Shapir, Iran; and Aden. Late June NOA re-joined the Sixth Fleet after having gone eighty-three days without replenishment. She returned to Norfolk 1 September, and transferred from Destroyer Squadron Six to Squadron Fourteen, with a new homeport at Mayport, Fla. Through spring 1960 she operated off the Atlantic Coast and in the Caribbean, She entered the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard 25 May for a FRAM I, and received the latest in ASW weapons.
NOA completed her Fram I overhaul 2 May 1961 and rejoined the Atlantic Fleet. After a four week Ready-for-Sea period and ASROC qualification trials she reported to Fleet Training Command, Guantanamo for six weeks refresher training. NOA returned to Mayport 23 July for a two week tender period alongside Yellowstone (AD-27).
Type training followed and NOA steamed for the United Kingdom, for combined exercises in the Eastern Atlantic with the British Navy. She arrived Portsmouth, England 6 November, and also called at Belfast and Dublin before standing in to homeport 20 December. After leave and upkeep NOA resumed ASW training 29 January 1962 in the western Atlantic.
NOA returned to Mayport 6 February for modifications to her boat davits and briefings in preparation for the recovery of America's first astronaut and his space capsule. Preparations completed, she steamed 11 February for the Project Mercury Recovery area in the Southwestern Atlantic, she reported on station 14 February as part of the 24 ship recovery task force.
After two reschedulings of the space flight, NOA put in at San Juan for two days. She was underway 19 February for the recovery station, located 200 miles WNW of San Juan. At precisely 1440, five hours and 53 minutes after blast-off, Friendship Seven re-entered the atmosphere with a loud sonic boom that was clearly audible 20 February in NOA She first sighted and recovered Lt. Col. John H. Glenn, Jr., USMC, Project Mercury Astronaut, after he had completed his historic three orbits of the earth and splashed down a mere three miles from the destroyer. Col. Glenn remained in NOA for three hours before a helicopter transferred him to RANDOLPH (CVS-15), prime recovery ship.
Upon completion of recovery operations, NOA returned to Mayport for ASW operations with Task Group Alfa until 31 May. NOA has since conducted type training and midshipmen cruises out of her homeport between Mediterranean operational deployments and upkeep. She steamed for the Mediterranean 3 August 1962 for a seven month tour with the Sixth Fleet and 8 February 1964 saw her stand out of Mayport for another six month Mediterranean deployment.
Her regularly scheduled overhaul took place at Charlestown from September 1964 through January 1965, followed by a Mediterranean deployment from mid-May through 1 September. Early October 1965 NOA steamed from Mayport for the Gemini VI recovery off the west coast of Africa. The flight was cancelled after the Agena-B rocket designed to launch a docking vehicle failed to achieve an orbital insertion.
NOA then participated in type training and Atlantic Fleet exercises' including High Time, an amphibious exercises in the Caribbean from late January through early March 1966. She also served as a unit of the Gemini 8 recovery forces 14 17 March 1966. Her April-October deployment to the Mediterranean was followed by leave, upkeep and Lantflex (28 November-15 December).
In January 1967 NOA received two QH-50 Drone Antisubmarine Helicopters (DASH). She then served as school ship for the Fleet Sonar School at Key West (28 January-11 February). Operation Springboard took her to the Caribbean 3-11 March and she steamed in Mediterranean waters June through November.
NOA stood out of Mayport 5 January 1968 to conduct a solemn mission burial at sea of George H. Flynt, YN1 (Ret.). Flynt's last wish was that his remains be consigned to the deep. In honoring his request, made by a man who served his country for 20 years, NOA's sailors gained insight into a unique ceremony for men of the sea.
NOA underwent regular availability and overhaul at Charleston...

Inanda (T&J Harrison)

The full index of our ship stamp archive

Inanda (T&J Harrison)

Postby shipstamps » Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:57 pm

Click image to view full size

Click image to view full size
Launched 24th February 1925 by Swan Hunter and sailed on her maiden voyage from London to West Indies.
13th August 1936 the two Osborne brothers, who had earlier absconded from Britain with the fishing vessel GIRL PAT, were placed in custody by the master of Inanda and transferred to the authorities in London.
21st June 1940 she sailed on the final voyage of Harrison passenger service to West Indies.
27th Aug 1940. On return requisitioned by Admiralty as an Ocean Boarding Vessel. In September she was struck by bombs from German aircraft whilst fitting out in Royal Albert Dock, London.
She was refloated and taken over by UK government and rebuilt as a cargo vessel.
11th Feb 1942 registered under the ownership of the Ministry of War Transport and renamed EMPIRE EXPLORER.
8yh July 1942 torpedoed by German submarine U575 on passage from Demerara to Barbados. Hit by a second torpedo and then the Uboat shelled her until she sank.
Only 3 of the 71 crew were reported missing.
Site Admin
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: Inanda (T&J Harrison)

Postby D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen » Fri Feb 28, 2014 8:46 pm

Click image to view full size
Built in 1925 by Swan, Hunter & Wigham Richardson Ltd., Newcastle upon Tyne for Charente Steamship Co Ltd. (operated by T & J Harrison Ltd.)
Cargo/passenger ship, Gt:5985, Nt:3746, Dw:6900, L:124,05m. (407’) B:15,90m. (52’2”) D:8,66m. (28’5”) draught:7,80m. (25’7¼”) Wallsend Slipway Co. Ltd. quadruple expansion steam engine:606 nhp. 13 kn. passengers:100, crew:130.

Inanda was launched on 24 February 1925 and was completed in May. She was built for the Charente Steamship Co Ltd and placed under the management of T & J Harrison Ltd. Her port of registry was Liverpool. She was allocated the United Kingdom Official Number 137410 and Code Letters KSNF. On 3 February 1932, Inanda was on a voyage from London to the West Indies when she suffered a broken propellor. She put into Swansea, Glamorgan for repairs.Following the changes to Code Letters in 1934, Inanda was allocated GLMB.
Inanda was a member of Covnoy OA 7, which departed from Southend, Essex on 19 September 1939 and dispersed at sea on 22 September. She was bound for Antigua, where she arrived on 3 October. She departed that day and sailed to Saint Kitts, arriving later that day. On 4 October, Inanda sailed for Grenada arriving on 6 October and departing that day for Trinidad, where she arrived the next day. On 9 October, she sailed for Demarara, British Guiana, arriving the next day and departing on 14 October for Trinidad, where she arrived on 15 October. Departing on 20 October, Saint Vincent and Grenada were visited before Inanda arrived at Saint Lucia, from where she sailed on 25 October for Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada. She arrived on 2 November, sailing on 8 November as a member of Convoy HXF 8, which arrived at Dover, Kent, United Kingdom on 21 November. Inanda was carrying general cargo, rum and sugar. She then sailed to Southend to join Convoy FN 46, which departed on 1 December and arrived at Methil, Fife the next day. She left the convoy at Middlesbrough, Yorkshire on 2 December.
Inanda sailed from Middlesbrough on 11 December to join Convoy FS 53, which had sailed from Methil that day and arrived at Southend on 12 December. She then joined Convoy OA 53, which sailed on 14 December and dispersed at sea on 16 December. She was carrying a cargo of sulphite as well as a number of passengers and her captain was the convoy's Vice Commodore. Inanda was bound for Demerara, which was reached on 9 January 1940 via Barbados and Trinidad. She departed on 13 January for Montserrat, from where she sailed on 15 January for Trinidad. She departed on 16 January for Galveston, Texas, United States, arriving on 22 January and sailing on 3 February for Halifax, where she arrived on 13 February. Inanda was a member of Convoy HX 20, which departed on 16 February and arrived at Liverpool on 4 March. She was carrying general cargo.
Inanda departed from Liverpool on 29 March as a member of Convoy OB 119, which dispersed at sea on 1 April. She was performing the rôle of a convoy rescue ship and sailed to London after the convoy had dispersed. She then sailed to Southend, from where she departed on 8 April as a member of Convoy OA 125G, which formed Convoy OG 25 on 10 April. Inanda was carrying general cargo bound for Antigua, arriving on 24 April and sailing that day for Saint Kitts, where she arrived on 24 April. She sailed the next day for Saint Lucia, from where she departed on 26 April for Grenada, arriving on 29 April. She spent the next few weeks sailing around the West Indies, arriving at Bermuda on 20 May. Carrying general cargo, Inanda was a member of Convoy BHX 64, which departed on 7 August and joined with convoy HX 64 on 12 August. Convoy HX 64 departed from Halifax on 8 August and arrived at Liverpool on 23 August. Inanda was bound for London, which was reached by leaving the convoy and sailing to the Methil Roads, where she arrived on 24 August. She then joined Convoy FS 262, which departed on 25 August and arrived at Southend on 27 August.
Inanda was then hired by the Royal Navy for use as an ocean boarding vessel. On 7 September, she was berthed at London Docks when she was sunk in an air raid.
She was salvaged and rebuilt as a cargo ship, Inanda was renamed Empire Explorer, she was passed to the MoWT and placed under the management of T & J Harrison Ltd. Her port of registry was changed to London although she retained the Code Letters GLMB.
Empire Explorer was a member of Convoy FN 632, which departed from Southend on 15 February 1942 and arrived at Methil two days later. She left the convoy at the Tyne on 16 February, to load general cargo. She sailed four days later to join Convoy FN 636, which had departed from Southend on 19 February and arrived at Methil on 21 February. She then joined Convoy EN 50, which departed the next day and arrived at Oban, Argyllshire on 23 February. She left the convoy at Loch Ewe and sailed to Saint Kitts, arriving on 17 March. Empire Explorer spent the next five weeks sailing around the West Indies, arriving at the Cape Verde Islands on 20 April and sailing two days later for Halifax, where she arrived on 30 April. She joined Convoy HX 188, which departed on 3 May and arrived at Liverpool on 15 May. She was carrying general cargo, sugar and 38 bags of mail. She left the convoy at the Clyde, arriving on 15 May.
Empire Explorer sailed on 1 June to join Convoy OS 30, which departed from Liverpool that day and arrived at Freetown, Sierra Leone on 19 June. She was in ballast and armed with a 4-inch or 4.7-inch gun, eight machine guns and a number of kites. She was stated to be bound for George, South Africa. She arrived at Demerara on 21 June, sailing nine days later for Trinidad, where she arrived on 1 July. Empire Explorer sailed from Trinidad on 8 July, carrying 200 bags of mail, 1,000 long tons (1,000 t) of pitch and 4,000 long tons (4,100 t) of sugar and bound for Barbados. At 02:47 German time on 9 July, Empire Explorer was torpedoed, shelled and sunk at
11°40′N 60°55’W. by the U-575, which was in the command of Günther Heydemann. Of her 70 crew and 8 DEMS gunners, three crew were killed. The survivors were rescued by HMS MTB 337 and landed at Tobago.
(Barbados 1994, 70 c. StG.1033; St. Kitts 1990, 40 c. StG.316)
D. v. Nieuwenhuijzen
Posts: 390
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:46 pm

Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baidu [Spider], Yahoo [Bot] and 10 guests

Sponsored Links