SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

SHIP STAMP SOCIETY

Interested in Ships and Stamps? The Ship Stamp Society is an international society and publishes it’s journal, Log Book, six time a year. Full membership includes receiving Log Book by post, but there is an online membership costing just £12pa.
Full details can be found on our web site at http://www.shipstampsociety.com where you can also join and pay your chosen subscription through Paypal or by cheque.
A free sample of Log Book is available on request.

Louisa Craig- barque 1876

The iron barque Louisa Craig was built as the «Peru» in1876 for Robertson, esq. She measured 183 ft. in length, 30 ft. beam, 710 gross tons. Captain James Craig, later owner of Craig lines, was the first master on her maiden voyage to the west coasts of North and South America, then to Buenos Aires and back to the west coast, home to Falmouth for orders and then Hamburg. Captain James Craig handed over command to Captain R. Smith who sailed her round the world, to Adelaide, Valparaiso, Talcahuana and back to Europe, arriving in August 1879. During the next twenty seven years, under various owners, part owners and masters she traded in many countries making a number of voyages to New Zealand. In 1906 she came under the flag of Craig Ltd. and was placed in the trans-Tasman trade. In 1907 her name was changed to the «Louisa Craig» and she was re-painted in the line's livery of painted ports, black bulwarks and grey hull. This accentuated her lines and she was generally admitted to be the most beautiful and striking ship in Australia. She made thirty voyage in the intercolonial trade and one to the Pacific Islands under the ownership of Craig and then, in 1916 she was sold to G.H.Scales of Wellington and placed in the trans-Pacific trade to the west coast of North America. After her first voyage Scales changed her name to «Raupo». She remained under ownership of Scales until 1921 when she was laid up in Wellington. In 1922 she was sold as a coal hulk and towed to Lyttelton. After years as a coal hulk she was gradually cut down to the waterline for her iron, and then, in 1937, she was towed to Quail Island in Lyttelton Harbour and beached. The design stamp is made after painting of Roger Morris:«Вarque Louisa Craig sailing up the Northern Wairoa River to Kopu».
Malawi 2011;k250;SG? Source:http://www.seapainter.com/Louisa-Craig.Northern-Wairoa.html

«Ulcoats»-the little clipper 1863

The «Ulcoats», one of the White Star ships, was an iron barque of 671 tons, built at Liverpool in 1863. She was iron and her registered tonnage was 671. She was a small ship but a little clipper belonging to the same line which owned the Thermopylae. She made her maiden trip to Auckland, leaving London on September 29, 1863, with 137 passengers, and arriving at Auckland on January 22, 1864, making the passage in 115 days, a very good run for a vessel of her size. Captain Chambers, who was in command, reported that owing to very adverse weather in the Channel, where she was detained eight days, and subsequent light winds, the vessel was thirty days fetching Madeira. She experienced good north-east and south-east trade winds, and on December 10 passed the meridian of the Cape, running down her longitude in the parallel of 46deg south, with strong winds and fine weather with the exception that on December22 she encountered a cyclone, in which fore and main topsails and lifeboat were lost. Cape Maria Van Dieman was sighted on january 10; thence the barque was baffled on the coast with light airs and calms, the vessel taking another 12 days to reach Auckland. Among the passengers by the Ulcoats on this voyage were Mr Wesley Spragg and others who have made good citizens. The Ulcoats, after discharging, sailed for Port Chalmers, arriving there on march 13, 1864. She landed 54 passengers for Dunedin, and then loaded at that port for London. According to the book «White Wings» - Sir Henry Brett. The design stamp is made after painting of Roger Morris: «The Aberdeen White Star ship Ulcoats bringing immigrants to Auckland on June 16th. 1865.»
Malawi 2011;k350;SG?
Source: http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... lcoats.htm. http://www.seapainter.com/Ulcoats-Auckland.html

Manus canoe

Тhe name of the Manus is the traditional name for a group of fishing people who inhabit coastal areas Manus. These people were good sailors and traders. The Manus live in houses on the sea and understand various means of navigation the canoe and the use of the great fishnet . They have knowledge of the moon and stars and of those kinds of magic in which betel and lime are used. The Manus are a sea-dwelling peoples. The Manus, in their large, single outrigger canoes, control the fishing and the trade of the south coast, and are the middlemen between Usiai and the island Matankor. There are two kinds of canoe: those used for fishing and those used for traveling. Single-fishing canoe of the Manus Islands in the northwest part of the group. Dugout hull; sides generally raised with washstrakes, sewn on. Raked ends elongated, terminating in a platform. Thwarts rested on notches in the hull or, where present, in the washstrakes; a gunwale pole rested on the thwarts and outrigger booms. Sharp ended float, about two thirds the length of the hull, attached by 3 booms. Each boom flanked by flexible spars along its outer part; spars turned down toward the ends and were lashed outside the multiple vertical stanchions that connected the booms and float. Single mast, stepped between the gunwale pole and the hull and braced from the platform. The triangular Oceanic lateen mat sail set; boom at the foot forked against the mast, holding the sail up obliquely.
Papua New Guinea 2009;K3,0;SG?
Sources: A. Haddon, J. Hornell: Canoes of Oceania.1937.Volume II. Dictionary of the world’s Watercraft from Aak to Zumbra. From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Russian Navy Ships

Republic of West Papua is the name given to this unrecognized state the separatist of Free Papua movement. This movement claimed sovereignty for Western New Guinea, which combines the Indonesian province of Papua and West Papua. The capital is Jayapura, the capital of Papua province, near the border with Papua New Guinea. Republic of West Papua, then called West Papua, declared its independence on 1 December 1961, during the first meeting of the Papuan Congress, even when Dutch sovereignty. West Papua has issued a small sheet with the ships of Russian Navy: 1.Goto Predestanatsiya; 2. Ingermanland 3. Eagle; 4. Battle of the mouth of Nevy. Information of ships and battle see, shipstamps co.uk. forum.
Republiс of West Papua 2013;3000;SG? Source: https://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rep%C3%BA ... _Ocidental

History of the Russian Navy on stamps

Southern Cameroons was the southern part of the British Mandate territory of Cameroons in West Africa. Since 1961 it is part of the Republic of Cameroon, where it makes up the Northwest Region and Southwest Region. Since 1994, pressure groups in the territory have sought independence from the Republic of Cameroon, and the Republic of Ambazonia was declared by the Southern Cameroons Peoples Organisation (SCAPO) on 31 August 2006. Southern Cameroons is a member of the Unrepresented Nations and Peoples Organization(UNPO) since 2005 and a charter member of the Organization of Emerging African States (OEAS). Republic “Ambazonia” ussued sheet of stamps dedicated to the history of the Russian Navy. On stamps are available only to the date of the events. Information about ships and naval battles can be found at «shipstamps forum». 1.Lodya, 2.Koch, 3.Saint Peter- yacht of Peter I 1693, 4.Principium galley1696, 5.Batlle of Azov 1696, 6.The ship Krepost(Fortress) 1699, 7.Admiralty of Peter I 1709, 8.Poltava 1712, 9 . Battle of Gangut 1714, at 10.Batlle of Island Saaremaa 1719, 11. Battle of Grengam 1720, 12.Botik 1723.
Ambazonia(Federal Republic of the Southern Cameroons) 2013
Source:http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Southern_Cameroons

Saint Peter- yacht of Peter I

Peter arrived at Arkhangelsk on the White Sea in 1693, ordered the creation of a state shipyard in Arkhangelsk, here it was expecting a 12-gun yacht Saint Peter.Yacht built in Arkhangelsk on the Dutch sample in 1693. This small sailboat had one mast with a direct and oblique sails and was armed with 12 guns. LOA composes of 17 meters and its width — 5.7 meters. Peter I first came to him in the open sea involving the retirement of Arkhangelsk Dutch and English merchant ships and came with them to the eastern coast of the Kola Peninsula. After serving thirty years of naval service, is the first yacht in Arkhangelsk museum object. Peter I understood, however, that Arkhangelsk was extremely limited as a port. Because of its severe arctic climate and remoteness from the centre of Russia, Arkhangelsk could never be the country's main port. Peter insisted that Russia must have direct access to the Baltic and Black Seas.
Ambazonia(Federal Republic of the Southern Cameroons) 2013;500fcfa;SG?
Source: http://www.neva.ru/EXPO96/book/chap1-3.html. http://survincity.com/2014/06/yacht-st- ... -the-shop/
$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]$post_attachment_names[$j]

GENERAL SHERMAN

The full index of our ship stamp archive

GENERAL SHERMAN

Postby shipstamps » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:55 pm


Click image to view full size
Built as an iron passenger-cargo vessel under yard 111 by the yard of Tod & McGregor, Glasgow for M. Langlands & Son, Glasgow and managed by the Glasgow & Liverpool Steam Packet.
20 June 1861 launched under the name PRINCESS ROYAL.
Tonnage 494 gross, 828 ton burden, dim. 196.9 x 27.3 x 16ft.
Powered by a 2-cyl steam engine, two boilers, one screw, speed 11 knots.
Schooner rigged
1860 Delivered to owners.

Ostensibly she was built for the Glasgow & Liverpool Steam Packet, but her appearance was more like a blockade-runner for the Confederacy than an Irish Channel steamer.
1862 Taken over by Fraser, Trendholm & Company, Charleston S.C. and she crossed the North Atlantic loaded with two badly needed marine engines and boilers for some ram-ships, under construction in Charleston. Other cargo on board was 600 barrels of gunpowder, 6 - 70-pound Whitworth cannons, 930 steel-headed Whitworth shells, 35 tons of projectile steel, a machine for molding and some provision, the total value of the cargo was £78.808.


Sailed from London and via Newfoundland, arrived mid January 1863 at Bermuda, she was heavily loaded with a draught of 11 feet, with this draught was she slow, and not very suitable to be used as a blockade runner.
Early in the morning of 29 January 1863 she approached the entrance of Charleston, where she was sighted by the schooner G.W. BLUNT that opened fire and warned the other vessels of squadron.
The steamer USS UNADILLA forced the PRINCESS ROYAL aground, but when boarding parties reached the vessel, most of the crew and passengers had left the ship. Only some British sailors stayed behind on board.

After Union warships towed her free, she was brought north, still with the British sailors on board who were hired by the federal commander, he was short of sailors.
The prize court at Philadelphia sold her and her cargo for $342.000.

18 March 1863 sold to the U.S. Navy Department for $112.000, and she was armed with 2 – 30 pound Parrot rifles, 1 - 11 inch Dahlgren gun and four 24-pound howitzers.
29 May 1863 commissioned under command of Melancthon B. Woolsey as USS PRINCESS ROYAL.
Crew 150.

Assigned to the West Gulf Blockading Squadron.
28 June 1863 had a sharp engagement with some Confederate forces at Donaldsonville, LA, in which USS KINEO and WINONA also participated, driving the enemy forces off.
10 August 1863 she captured the British schooner FLYING SCUD loaded with cotton near Matamoros off the Rio Oranda, Tex.
The rest of 1863 and 1864 used in the blockading service, and she captured several small brigs and schooners.
07 December 1864 together with USS CHOCURA she captured the schooner ALABAMA, which was underway from Havana.
07 February 1865 off Galveston Tex. She and the USS BIENVILLE took several small schooners.

In the summer of 1865 she was ordered to head north and she arrived at 21 July at Philadelphia, where she was decommissioned.

17 August 1865 during a public auction sold to Samuel C.Cook for $54.175, and he renamed her in GENERAL SHERMAN.
Thereafter he sent the vessel to China, which at that time was in chaos because of the Taiping upraising.
The Chinese Government hired some foreign mercenaries of which some defected to the Taiping rebels.
A group of these defectors under command of the American Henry A. Burgevine boarded the GENERAL SHERMAN and on board of her he sailed to Formosa (Taiwan), but the Royal Navy captured her during the voyage. In the encounter Burgevine was killed.

Then her ownership became murky, most probably she was bought by the British firm Meadows & Co in Tientsin (Tianjin), and was she bought or chartered by a American merchant W.B. Preston, who sent the ship to Korea.
She was loaded with merchandise and on 09 August 1866 she sailed from Tientsin, under command of Capt. Page with a crew of 28 and the missionary/interpreter, Robert Thomas, the owner Preston was also on board, after a call at Chefoo (Yantai) for fresh water she sailed to Korea, arriving off the mouth of the Daedong River on 18 August.

05 September 1866 was she attacked near Pyongyang, and the complete crew was killed, the vessel was set on fire. For the attack and killing of the crew see http://www.kimsoft.com/2000Sherman.htm
The GENERAL SHERMAN did not sink she was grounded, but she was not lost, as some sources give; when the river levels rose she was refloated and moved to Seoul.
She was repaired and for some time was she the first engine powered warship of the Korean Navy. Under pressure of China she was handed back to her former American owner Samuel C. Cook in 1867.
Early 1868 bought by William F.Weld Co. Boston, Mass., who was building up his Merchants of Boston SS Co.
After a recondition and alternation she was put in the service from Boston to New Orleans service with accommodation for some passengers.
Her last voyage was, when she left on 04 January 1874 New York with on board a crew of 42 men and 4 passengers and general cargo consigned to New Orleans.
During the voyage the weather worsened and on 07 January at 02.00am. she sprung a leak, and the pumps could not manage the water level pouring in.

Her crew were rescued by the schooner SPRAY and FLORENCE and salvaged some cargo and the baggage of the passengers who disembarked at Wilmington N.C.
10 January the steam tug BRANDT steamed out from Wilmington and found the GENERAL SHERMAN still afloat, she managed to put a hawser on the ship and started towing.
Near Tub’s Inlet, twenty-seven miles from Cape Fear the GENERAL SHERMAN sank.

Korea North 2006 140ch sg?, scott?

Source: Clyde built ships. Lifeline of the Confederacy by Stephen R. Wise. http://www.kimsoft.com/2000/shermanr.htm Some other web-sites, a Google search give plenty on the ship.
shipstamps
Site Admin
 
Posts: 0
Joined: Fri Mar 13, 2009 8:12 pm

Re: GENERAL SHERMAN

Postby markhuggins » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:28 pm

Had no idea of the history of this ship. I did several scuba dives on it in the late 1980's.
Picked up several lead shot, a rifle slug, several buttons and a belt buckle.
markhuggins
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:01 pm


Return to Ship Stamps Collection

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 28 guests

Sponsored Links